Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Is there any way to use planes without setting off the alarm? If I, say, attached a pocket carrier to a lightning group and then launched them very close to the city could I get the Lightning in right after the airstrike? Or does the alarm go out the moment the planes withdraw from their hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I want to love this game but I suck at it and the UI is less than helpful in a lot of respects. I didn't see anything in the OP or on beforeiplay, anyone have some beginners pointers?

Here's how to manage intelligence, both yours and the enemy's. You both has sensors of the following types:

ELINT (Electronic Intelligence) - Detects radar (and jammer) returns at a range dependent on the detected radar, but at long range.
- For you: Used to generate vectors and distances to enemy strike groups. Enemies with active radar (mostly just Strike Groups) are detected ELINT 1 at double their radar range (if this is within your ELINT range), and the distance indicator scales up to DANGER CLOSE at their radar range. So if you are DANGER CLOSE then you are on the enemy's radar. Typically I draw arrows with ELINT contacts and use it to triangulate the enemy positions, to indicate where I should fly and to calculate how to send in strikes
- For them: Enemies will investigate ELINT contacts (your active radar/jammer) and will fire on them with missiles and planes.

Radar - Detects blips/lines at medium range and marks fleets on the map at short range. A small radar signature can make a ship harder to detect, and much harder (but not impossible) if landed on the ground.
- For you: Used to confirm things you've spotted elsewhere. For example your ELINT is reading DANGER CLOSE you might send out a single sweep to confirm the exact location of the pursing Strike Group to hit it with an air strike. Also can be used to find hidden cities. Leave it off 99% of the time.
- For them: Enemies will investigate Radar contacts and will fire on them with missiles and planes. If they are close enough that radar marks you on the map, they send out a radio message about you which counts as a red flag spotting report.

IRST (Infrared) - Detects engines as spikes, both ships and missiles, at short range.
- For you: Used to identify trade fleets before they enter visual range, and to attempt to dodge missiles (usually futile). If you know the enemy is hunting and you pick up an infrared contact then either you dodge at 90 degrees or you launch T-7 planes with air-to-air missiles. If you know your enemy is not hunting then you need to deal with that trade fleet before it enters visual range, usually I slam it with an air strike, the other option is to retreat your fleet and wait for the trade fleet to land.
- For them: Enemies will know something is coming and instantly report you when you enter visual range instead of generating a yellow timer bar.

Visual - Marks fleets on the map at very short range.
- For you: Used generally but a deliberate use would be sending out scout planes, which sets off the silent strike alarm but does not generate a contact report. Great for confirming the exact location of a target. Also if you zoom in you can see contrails within visual range even if the fleet you're chasing is beyond visual range, which is mostly useless but I have actually used it in pursuit scenarios, so the 1 in 100 time it's good to know.
- For them: When entering visual range, if the alarm is not active, will send a contact report and red flag mark when the yellow bar timer ends, which is investigated by Strike Groups. If the alarm is active, instantly sends a contact report in visual range. Fleets in the air have almost zero yellow bar timer and more or less instantly send a report regardless of the alarm, happens most often with trade fleets stumbling into you.

Radio - Picks up enemy transmissions and returns most of the message and a vector, range is very long.
- For you: Used to generate vectors to estimate the location of enemy fleets, all types. Very handy when the right intel falls into your lap but random. If I get an interesting signal I usually draw an arrow on the map, and in the midgame I do look for radio rooms in looting. If you have trouble with radio replay the tutorial and pay attention to Ptoyr's instructions, or just use the Auto-Intercept button.
- For them: Nothing.

Intel City - Can spend points which mark Strike Groups, Tactical Groups, and Trade Fleets. Once for each fleet, on a very long cooldown until they can be reacquired. Tarkhans who specialize in Intelligence can also do this.

So how does the enemy find you?
- When you appear in visual range the enemy attempts to send a report which marks your location as a red flag on the map, revealing it to all enemies. The Yellow bar above them is the timer until that report goes out. If your speed is high enough (usually 400+ for ships attacking a city) you can engage them and if you destroy them the report never goes out.
- Fleets on the ground have a much longer timer than ships in the air. Fleets that know you are coming through some other means also report very quickly. So roaming Trade Fleets or fleets with IRST will report you nearly instantly.
- The Silent Strike timer (sometimes called the alarm) is triggered if you fail the yellow timer, if you are reported, if your planes are spotted, or if you strike an enemy with planes or missiles. This is *separate* to being reported though it often happens at the same time.
- If the alarm is active, there are no more yellow bars, entering visual range is an instant report. Also, enemy fleets will tend to be in the air rather than on the ground, and they will try to dodge planes and missiles.
- When you are detected on a sensor you don't trigger the alarm and you don't generate a report but the enemy will investigate and WILL launch strategic strikes like missiles at these mystery contacts. If they get close enough to mark you, say, with radar, then that's similar to a spotting report.
- If you stay landed in a city for more than a certain number of hours (around 24 is typically safe), it goes to yellow Dangerous and then after more hours to red Dangerous. At each level there is a chance over time that someone will report you, which is just like getting visually spotted at that location and a report being marked on the map.

If a report (red flag on the map) is generated:
- One or more Strike Fleets are dispatched to the closest city, and they will use their other sensors to attempt to find you and pursue you. Typically Strike Fleets pursue the most recent report.
- Nearby Tactical Groups will move in to attack.

So you are playing a giant game of cat and mouse across a planet size map. Your job is to slip into cities undetected, wipe the garrison, loot, resupply. Your raiding fleets are followed by your strategic fleets (planes+missiles) and flagship, which are almost always running silent except when they activate to sucker-punch someone. Spend minimum time in cities and if you have to sit around waiting, do so in the desert. This preserves time in cities for important purposes like repairs, refits, and fueling.

When you accidentally or deliberately trigger the alarm and want to go back to surprise striking, you wait a bit somewhere out of the way to run down the clock. Running down the clock lets you use attacking fleets without being reported. That said if you are continuing aggressive operations that will extend the alarm anyway, like plane strikes or slow ships, you can ignore the silent strike timer and just operate under alarm, accepting that you will draw in a beehive of hostile activity around you.

If you get reported, you count that as intelligence that the nearest Strike Fleets are coming, even all the way across the map, and plan your operations to flow around them. Eventually you set up bait for Strike Fleets (or take advantage of opportunities generated by being reported) and wipe them out with a counter-fleet, like a lurking air group.

I can't say much about combat itself except that learning to dodge is key. When the enemy tracers come out they will track the direction you are already moving. So dodging isn't zooming around, it is changing your momentum so that those tracers that were tracking you now are inaccurate. It's perfectly viable to sit still until the tracers appear then do a burn one way or the other. Similarly missiles are best dodged by a course change at last minute, but your own momentum works against you so it takes a bit more practice to figure out what kind of trajectories are still safe to dodge and when you need to pre-emptively control how you're moving to set up a dodge later.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Fight is doable, I soloed both the "Strike Fleet" and the Ur garrison with a Navarin. Hilariously the game doesn't punish you for lying to Daud about the strike fleet.

If you need to take the fight then focusing on economical dodging mostly, and shooting when your gunnery is stable / you are aimed at armor gaps is best.

But you could also just fly both your Navarins to the Retreat marker then choose Retreat when it says you're defeated. Make sure you fly all your ships to the retreat marker, any you don't will die.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Plane scouting is a cheat compared to everything else, yeah

Radar is handy for locking down certain intel when you're already in a loud engagement, and is also decently useful to avoid trade fleets when you know no one is near enough to detect it with ELINT. I also really like it in the phase of the game after you reach Khiva, though at that point you are simply using every tool at your disposal

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Bootcha posted:

On another subject, has anyone figured out the best way to get their SG tankers some xp to nab that +30% cruising bonus?

Theorycrafting but mount missiles and send them in first during sudden strikes. Immediately burn for the retreat and spam out the missiles, just make sure to not retreat before they hit.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

1.14 is out and there is a bug with escape pods where they can have 70kg/s fuel consumption like an engine. It applies if you remove an escape pod and reinstall it in both shipbuilder and shipworks. It also applies in certain circumstances when installing an escape pod from the "ship's hold" area of the shipworks, or using the shipbuilder, or with pods sold to the store. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what circumstances but it's more like there are specific exceptions where it won't bug. A pre-patch shipworks store inventory seems to always work if installed directly. Sometimes I can get the shipbuilder to work but most of the time I get bad pods.

So if you have to mess with escape pods make sure you don't accidentally cut your ship's range to 1/10, or better yet don't mess with them or just leave them uninstalled, the morale penalties only apply to combat ships.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 25, 2021

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Sanzuo posted:

Yes I did unpause. No matter how long I wait, it doesn't load anymore fuel. It just sits at "refueling" forever.

edit: I was messing with escape pods like TheDemon mentioned. So that's what I suspect now.

Your only way out at this point is to remove all escape pods you messed with from your ships. Don't worry it won't matter once the tutorial is over.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Is there any merit to the Sseth recommendation of turning it into a small box with engines and parking it in the middle of the desert.

It works but it is supreme cheese.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Strike Fleets will in fact travel across the entire map but not all of them will react to each sporting report.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The easy way to do coordinated air strikes is to run pocket carriers with your attack forces. 2 to 4 T-7s on a 400 km/h fuel tank and don't launch until the yellow spotting bar is already triggered. I use it if I'm going full power custom ships and it's fairly effective. That said often I'll be holding the 4 T-7s in reserve for missile defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The tutorial strike group is a single cruiser (it's actually easy enough to beat with the Navarins the game gives you). If you are up against 8 guys that is the regular garrison probably, unless there's a big fat ship there too. Just bring in all of your ships and fire all your missiles then yes, you'll have to win the fight with at least one ship alive.