Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ArmchairTitan posted:

I love how all of the battlefield footage looks like it's captured by incidental cameras or intelligence drones. Makes it feel like you're an armchair general watching all the action unfold, rather than it all being filmed by Lakitu on his magical floating cloud.

Your username and your post... you keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means :buddy:

But agreed. It looks very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Quoting myself as it didn't get answered. The graphics are 2D art on par with Starsector, does it really need the latest gen 3D card to play or is it worth me trying to run it on a laptop?

I ran it fine for a couple days after release on my laptop, but once the save file got over 15ish million lines it started crashing from i assume running out of memory

I also discovered that you only need 6 Molots (the 13cm) and one layer of armour on one ship to take down any battlegroup with minimal damage, and that being very boring compared to the tactical cruise missile game and the strategic resource juggling. And then the game started crashing :jebstare:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 7, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

So the starsector problem writ large. I wonder if there's a vmparams equivalent inside somewhere.

What sort of laptop were you using?

A very barebones 8gig? ram Lenovo I normally use as a typewriter

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is this essentially a more user friendly and better made airships conquer the skies?

Yes.

But with less ship parts, no research, or official modding support - But also a story and deeper worldbuilding

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

As far as recon goes, can only the supersonic jets see the ground?

I think the subsonic J29's can see it too and 6 of them with 122mm rockets will decimate most flights if not intercepted

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Hmmm OK. I've had them overfly where I know a hidden city is, without them spotting it

I've had issues getting the hidden cities to pop with regular ships as well - seems like the reliable way is overflying the exact center of them and the only way to do that is to follow the roads at max zoom

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Welp, made it to the end game.
How serious are the nuclear strike groups?

I wasn't to bothered, secure in the outstanding ability of my two slugger battlebrick ships I designed having dealt with everything before independently and on their own.

Neither survived first "contact".

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Yes.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I built a brick with 8 rocket launchers and then a bunch of 37mms for point defense. Taking the level 10 fleet is trivial.

2-3 salvos (not full reloads, just 3 firings) takes out the largest ships. Smaller ships are even easier because the rockets in each salvo fan out in a nice spread making them easy to hit.

I'm pretty sure people who dislike rockets simply havent put enough on.

I do the same thing with 5 130mm. To each their own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Velius posted:

I might have screwed up by bolting them to my custom carrier during a refit instead of using one with proper fire control, that seems likely now that I think about it.

Did you see them go active? Ie showing the radar cone after finishing the cold-nose preflight that ends were the mouse clicked X is, where afterwards the missile is armed and flying in attack? Was any target closer than 400km (A-100' max range)? Any FC radar lock =seeing the enemy move on the map bc of fc radar, not visual contact from any ship should make them fly faster in the combat screen (I'm assuming)