Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Spent all day building my own ultra fast interceptor design only to find that it runs out of fuel in roughly 20 seconds. Since I have two strike groups currently that both only have one of these to take early cities and scout Tarkhans it feels like speed running. I will have to take it back to the drawing board but we will see how it goes for now.

Speed is lyfe.

Can anyone confirm that you don't get a Dangerous flag if you sit in Ur? I decided to top up the Svestapols tanks while sending off two strike groups right at the start of the game and I didn't seem to get into trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Seconding that this guy's videos are good, to the point, and recorded with a calm, vaguely scandanavian accent.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I found planes and missiles really underwhelming when experimenting, so I haven't bothered with them at all. I've been treating getting carriers in events as a quick money injection.

I beg to differ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDWNQKwvB74&t=1995s

That's just the end of the latest video, but in this campaign, I am using planes and missiles to soften strike groups before wiping them with Lightnings. That was my second strike group.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

1.15 beta patch notes:

code:
1. Fixed the bug with fuel for strike forces.
2. Fixed a bug with enemy refueling in hidden cities.
3. Fixed bugs and exploits with refueling and repairing aircraft.
4. Fixed the drawing of the squadron on the global map after it sends/returns aircraft.
5. Fixed bug with sublists in editor.
6. Added exit from the battle to the title screen.
7. Fixed a bug which caused a money penalty after losing negotiations.
8. Fixed bug with combining module slots when repairing ships.
9. Fixed bug with disappearance of player's ships.
10. Corrected armor weight.
11. Fixed bug with reloading of player's APS.
12. Fixed crash in map mode when using navigational tools.
13. In the battle incorrectly calculated sectors where you can shoot depending on the overlap of the guns and turn the ship's hull.
14. Fixed bug with possibility to choose a transport at campaign start (it was sold at once).
15. Fixed bug with freezing ELINT level in player's squadron.
16. Fixed bug with displaying the purchase price in Supplies for last money.
17. Fixed a bug which caused the GUI to not update when merging squadrons in map mode, such as the list of available missiles.
18. Fixed the incorrect position of the thrust slider in map mode during detailing.
19. Added ability to move the camera while dragging.
20. Fixed errors with display of squadron's flying range on the map and on the mini-screen.
21. Fixed corrected shells operation.
22. Fixed mathematical calculation of the weight of the systems in the ship.
23. Fixed an error in fuel purchase calculations due to rounding.
24. Added bindings for 4 and 5 mouse buttons.
25. Bindings for up/down/left/right buttons now work in map mode and editor.
26. Fixed incorrect amount of resources for armor modules and hull parts.
27. Fixed disappearance of Supplies after a battle in a captured city.
28. 57mm and 100mm in one ship are now assigned to different firing buttons.
29. Small fix in player warning logic on IRST.
30. Fixed bug with AI use of nuclear weapons.
31. Marching engines can be rotated 90 degrees.
32. Added correct torque for marching engines.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1434950/discussions/0/3192486635088070647/

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Tetraptous posted:

1. Sevastopol comes with multiple IRST and FCR units. I understand that the effective range is reduced when you block the sensor cones, so it makes sense to put a sensor on each side of the ship. But is there any point to having both the large and small versions of each sensor? I stripped it down to just one large unobstructed FCR and two large IRST pods. I ditched the search radar, and feel like I don’t miss it.

I am pretty late to this but the Sevastopol is like a weird tutorial/sanity check of a ship for new players. It features so many 'bad' design decisions. Huge gun blocked by elevation, multiple redundant sensors blocked by hull, scarily exposed bridge, incredibly slow speed.. the list goes on.

It used to be fairly easy to rebuild it so that it was useful but I haven't gone back and looked at it since 1.13. I am curious how big cruises like it work now that you can mount static thrusters horizontally. That opens up some cool options.

I was able to rebuild my Sevastopol into a monster in my vanilla/normal campaign. But taking something that slow and poorly designed into hard mode feels like a challenge tax rather than a flagship.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Saros posted:

Honestly just watch this LP to learn how to play well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977149

Appreciate it Saros, thank you. The LP is a bit out of date now, but the fundamentals in the first video still hold true.

Radar off unless needed
Rely on Passive ELINT and IRST sensors
Fight on multiple fronts with small strike groups to rapidly claim territory and loot resources
Always airplanes
Lightings4Lyfe

The Sevastapol is a boondoggle hangerqueen, don't get it into fights until you have refit it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

340mm rockets aren't worth it, just load up on the 122mm

The 250kg bomb, the 'Sayedi Special' is where it's at.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

A Russian troll farm posted:

yes. I now have command of his mighty varyag class heavy cruiser.

Gotta watch out though because Al'Ashir will try and stab him if you have them both on your flagship, it's a tricky conversation check to stop the murder from happening.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

1.16 is a bit of a mess, but KK re-appeared on Twitter this week and posted this:

https://twitter.com/highfleetgame/status/1603350053191565314?t=BgAxF0M0evq_XEmmBXQF1g&s=19

Crabfleet? Walkerfleet? What does this mean.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

temple posted:

I played on easy and reloaded the save. I managed to intercept it again and got it. I must have missed the sell pop up. However, I don't remember the capture popup like the first time I captured a ship. Thanks.

If you get in a fight with anyone else, including a garrison, while you are transporting the ship it will switch sides again and you need to 'recapture' it. That could have been what happened?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I like a lot of the vanilla designs because I think the flaws help you as a player learn ship design. Once you understand that a Gladiator is dead almost instantly if you shoot it from the bottom you can go into the shipbuilder with a goal - Make an improved Gladiator. Then from there you can look at trying to update another ship with an obvious flaw and that makes the whole process less overwhelming for learning the system. Until someone forces you to fight a monstrosity like this:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Serephina posted:

What does that thing even do? Like, other than have no firing arc whatsoever.

It looks pretty, I'll give it that.

Those guns are totally unrestricted. It's mostly a joke but it is full of heresy.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Serephina posted:

lol you guys, I know fielding the Sevasta-disasta as a gunship is a bad idea, which is why I'm doing it. If I wanted to be optimal I'd go create custom fuel tankers and poo poo and strip the Sevastapol down to a 2x2 thing with a single engine. Life has given me grapefruit, and I'm making bitter bitter lemonade out of it!

So for the palashes, any fancy geometry that lets them fire while not getting blown off? Asking for a very wide friend.

They can fire from behind one layer of armour. That is usually enough unless you are getting smashed,

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The game dev made a rare post on youtube to share this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWUBpKzi8Tw

We know that they have been working on making cruiser level gameplay a big part of the next update, with walkers setup as mobile defensive artillery positions and the ability to get your large guns to do fire missions on the strategic map.

Not sure *why* this needs a 3D view but I am wondering if this is for showing the effect of your fire mission on target? Kind of like an Advance Wars/Fire Emblem style ranged attack where it plays a little cutscene when your shells land to show you what happens?

It seems like the expansion is very very ambitious. I am cautiously excited.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Is there some trick for ship building? Because it's all super small pixelated blocks that overlay other super small pixelated blocks and I can't tell what anything is at all.

The biggest thing to overcome is 'elevation'. placing blocks next to each other in squares of odd numbers pushes the middle block 'up' towards the screen away from the body of the ship. These elevated blocks will block firing arcs but you can also mount weapons on them to overcome other blockages. Recent patches have made this much harder.

Basics of ship building - get your Thrust to Weight ratio over 1, make sure you have enough fuel for a decent distance and try to make sure fuel tanks and ammo are not exposed. After that it is kind of learn as you go.

The Lightning is a great little ship to tinker with, as it is designed to be messed around with. You can swap the guns, add missiles, add bombs all without changing the basic layout very much. The Gladiator is a good ship to look at for a vanilla design with very little flaws.

All the vanilla ships have flaws which serve as tutorials on what works and what doesn't with basic ship design really. It's worth taking a look at them and working out where the weakspot is and then trying to overcome it without ruining the ships handling.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Great tips, but I was more talking about UI and visual. It's all pixelated greebles that kind of blend together, many of which are behind other things or overlapped by others. I can only see what's what by highlighting things with my mouse and squinting.

Ah, yeah there isn't a lot I can give to help with that.

What I like to do is lay out my components around the ship while I build the structure. Laying them out lets me know how many slots I need to fit everything so I don't get caught short. Then I add the engines, then the weapons, then the ammo, then the generators, then the crew quarters and finally the fuel, emergency systems and defensive systems/sensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

by.a.teammate posted:

should i just take all the armour and stuff off the sevestapool? I feel like its a crutch and prob better to find some more skylarks to buy and have little fleets heading off? (well thats what the internet says i should do)

Now that you have a hidden city you can leave the Sev there as long as you like to get it rebuilt. There are definitely some easy fixes you should make at the very least like the aforementioned moving of Mark Sayedi's personal 130mm ammo container next to the bridge.

Removing stuff like the side armor and bottom armor makes sense, but if you get caught out and get hit by an air strike the top armor is still very good to have.