Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Second mission in after prologue, land two badly damaged ships, then finally the Sevastopol for minor repairs. It's black as pitch and storming outside so I can only see thrusters half the time, doing everything by radar. As I go to land the Sevastopol, holy poo poo this thing is huge and hard to stop. I see a nice large flat area for the Sevastopol with a nice bonus and aim towards it. There are two weirdly angles slopes on radar either side of where I want to land, but no matter I've done off camber landings already, just need rotate a bit. I ease it in perfectly, except the slopes are now crumpling oddly to fit my landing gear. Odd. The Sevastopol eventually flattens out and the camera pulls back signaling a successful landing, thank God. Explosions. Weird must have had a harder landing than I realized, it is a huge beast.

I go to the shipyard to start repairs, only.... Where are the two badly damaged ships..... OH. MY. GOD. Did I just flatten my only two combat ships?

:shepicide:: Yup.

10/10, restart campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How do I improve moral?

I already know how to crush it :v:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 10, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there any way to tell what a cities defenses will be like ahead of time without giving up a sudden strike capability?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I've tried using planes to strike a city and while they got there before the signal count down and annihilated the enemy an alarm still went out after the battle... Is that a bug?

Also radar based missiles can still be used against jammers, just got to activate them right in front of the enemy. Wasted 3 nukes figuring this out against a strike group but I couldn't run away from them.

Speaking of do they respawn once you kill one?

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 10, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

This guy does a ton of really good focused tutorials, highly recommend checking his channel out. The missile, aircraft and radar ones in particular are good in explaining what the game fails to.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Anybody know what the IR/ED Sign stat is and the CHANCE next to it?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Excellent info thanks. Out of curiosity is there someplace y'all are getting some of this more obscure information (like missile ranges, wasted 3 A-100s till I figured out there were meant to be short range) I've combed through the manual but nothing, is this just accrued testing knowledge or is there a wiki somewhere?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Anyone know what hard mode changes?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tythas posted:

The Dev's constant nerfs to bonuses and now the wipe of unlocked ships plus the wipe of previous bonuses has removed all my will to play the game, I wish I could refund it as it's now very different from the game I bought but I am now 37.3 hours into it

:dafuq:

Man do not start nuclear war the end game is loving brutal

Apparently there is some save deleting bug? Anyone know what causes this just lost my campaign and there are a couple threads on steam.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 14, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It's not the end of the world getting noticed, usually a SG will just continue with what it's doing unless it's really close or there are several in the same area.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I imagine with the pacing of the game it would be more annoying to have ai controlled friendly ships. I guess if you could decide how many to field at any given time but the pacing is primarily around how much time you can spend fueling and repairing. Having multiple ships active at once it's going to dramatically increase your repair times, and how would you tell ships to retreat? It's it automatic? Can the enemy ai now also retreat?

Not that it couldn't be done well but I don't think it's so simple as just adding more ships. Maybe being able to bring ships in and out rather than deciding the order once and having to stick to it would be a compromise? E.g. you retreat your first ship, retreat your second ship, and then bring out your first ship again.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Voyager I posted:

The game's AI is very rudimentary - basically just enough to perform the essential functions of operating the ships in combat. It doesn't even have a concept of friendly fire. This is acceptable when the AI's job is just to be content for the player and having exploitable limitations can be looked at as giving the opportunities to outsmart it.

If the AI is going to be given custody of the player's ships in a campaign of attrition where minimizing incoming damage is an essential factor for success, the demands are enormously higher. Watching the AIs blow each other out of the sky is hilarious when the player is tricking the opposition into doing it and an infuriating run-ender if one of your own ships blasts another with a Zenith.

Making good AI is a tremendous amount of work. Alex has been iterating on the AI in Starsector for something like a full decade at this point, it was one of the primary focuses of the initial project, and stands as an impressive accomplishment in design now. Given the scale of the team involved, they probably made the right choice in recognizing the limits of their resources and designing a game such that basic AI would be sufficient.

I actually think it does a pretty good job of avoiding friendly fire :shrug:

They definitely won't shoot if you put an enemy in between another, including up to a certain angle of fire. In fact it's a great way to take on SGs, just keep a ship between you and you reduce the incoming fire by a quarter up to a half.

They do seem to continue firing their full salvo happily however so if you dive behind an enemy once they commit to shooting they will light up their ally. Missiles are missiles though and I love trying to drive them into their allies.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AtomikKrab posted:

I mean you can really challenge yourself with different builds,

Like right now i'm going to try a game of rebuilding the sevestapol into a battlecruiser in game by piece by piece rebuilding her.

I'm doing something similar except as a carrier

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Glad they're focusing on bugs so quickly. Think I'm gonna take a break till they finish bugs and some final polish (better handling of ship customizations in game, sharing to campaign etc). Already put like 30 hrs into it, give it 8.5 as it is today, easily a 10 with some big fixing to iron out the campaign and some polish that seems inevitable.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Dalaram posted:

Man, gently caress this game.

There are some serious QOL improvements before I play it again. I love some of this, but other parts are so obtuse and just lovely that it saps the fun.

I lost a 33% run last night that I was better than treading water, because I ran out of fuel? I had enough to make the next town, but somehow bled more fuel than the blue line said? And then a strike group came, and I just lost?

Then, I had no option to reload from my last dumb save, 3 hours ago? Just GG, go again?

Key gripes -

-fuel costs are lovely. They should be half or less.
- stupid saving system. You only get a save when you FIRST take a command city, but not any time you come back? Just give a persistent “last town” or manual save, you loving grogs. Or at least auto save every time you land at a save city, with indexable reloads
- Not being able to reload anti ship missiles and bombs except at rare merchants means either buying all in stock, and “repairing” or having dedicated bombers that can only reload at rare merchants; which is a waste. Just add them to the supplies side screen and be done; their cost already makes them strategic.
- repairs. There doesn’t seem to be a way to selectively repair some parts first; it’s all at the discretion of the slider, which always prioritizes expensive missiles and bombs first. Let me select parts to repair first
- cruise missiles/radar. I can’t for the life of me extend my radar range to a point where I can effectively target a strike group, but they can blindly fire poo poo endlessly.
- planes/missiles leaving no scrap. When time/scrap is a resource, you basically commit to expending dollars in missiles/plane armnaments, with no chance of recovering the cost.
- radio poo poo. The mini game doesn’t provide nearly enough useful info. Amber is headed NW and needs medical at 150? Cool! What is it? A supply? Strike group? And having to fart around with it each time, or auto-call for even worse data makes me just want to ignore it
- and on that note, I know Alexander wants to talk to me. Stop loving sending me a message every 6 hours
- ground versus air tracks? I have never seen a ground track that had mattered
-and then IR tracks? I guess it’s passive tracking, but even when there is a blip, there is never an IR signature on screen?
- I know it’s been said, but the bullet holes are really annoying, and patching those out immediately feels like a necessary mod. They could be done way less obtrusively
-also, aiming. I can get hit across the map from ships I can’t see, because aiming won’t let me scroll the screen enough. They need to extend the aiming arrow way beyond 1cm in front of your ship.
- all your allies, but not a one that can bring you a gas can, or quick refuel?
-ship builder 2 layer system is not well designed. And why can I take a stick lightning, modify it, then not be able to take those mods and apply them against another stock lightning? - Also, lack of permanent unlocks on ship designs is dumb

Then there’s the general things that I feel like could be awesome upgrades:

- easy mode; no morale penalty for redos on fights and lands
- free sky pirate mode
- ground assets; someone said war rig; but yeah?
- maybe even sea assets? Sub groups? Destroyers?
- high G blackout is executed well, but can we add stuff to mitigate it?
- redos of tarkhan negotiations; even at a morale cost
- let salvaged hull be used for armor/hull part credits
-include missiles/bombs in ammo salvage

There’s a lot that’s good here; the combat feels awesome. The sound is great, and the art style is phenomenal. And despite all the dumb bullshit with the command screen tools like radios, the art and gameplay hit the right mark. But at the end of the day, it’s still a game, and if I’m not having fun, or fighting some of the annoying design decisions, it’s a pass.

Sounds like the game isn't for you, or whatever easy mode will end up being. A lot of your complaints are pretty deliberate design choices that quite a few people like based on steam reviews.

You have a few valid points that I'm sure will be addressed (ship building improvements) that are likely not in game currently due to time and the developers staying they're solely focusing on bugs for now (which they've been addressing very quickly), but a lot of it is just complaining about the difficulty. Fuel is supposed to be managed, strike groups are supposed to be avoided, you're supposed to have to make a choice between cities to land at etc.

If your ELINT is going off turn off your radar or expect incursions. You can selectively repair components by just right clicking them before setting the repair slider.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 19, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It definitely doesn't explain itself well, manual or otherwise, check out this guy's videos for explanations of some of the features of you want to give it another go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4O3etdR2Mo

I am particularly grognardy (with certain games) and part of me liked discovering how certain game features worked but I totally get and think the game needs be better on this front. A lot of the essential skills are completely uncovered by the various tutorials, especially as it relates to missiles, planes and radar. Knowing how to properly use those 3 together are like night and day as far as staying alive and running.

Also never use nukes, they will gently caress you up in return. It's easy to shoot down non nuclear missiles but even when you shoot down a nuke it completely dicks your fleet up, trying to shoot down 3 in a row is a nightmare.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 19, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Importantly - and they don’t tell you this explicitly - a missile doesn’t enable any tracking until a certain point that seems relative to where you slapped the end of the arrow for aiming it. I’m not sure if this is either different for conventional cruise missiles or just hard to notice, but it happened a lot with my A100’s where I well overshot the target before tracking was enabled.

When intercepting, make sure you get the heading correct but back up the end of the “target” arrow so that it’ll start tracking before the target missile arrives. You’ll notice the missile gets a little cone on it for targeting. This might seem pointless and you might ask “why have this weird targeting behavior at all?” And I can confidently say after blowing up my own ship with an A100 nuke and having to reload my save that it’s very important to be able to decide when it starts tracking. :v:

This is intentional and how missiles work in real life. You can absolutely hit your own ships with a poorly timed activation.

For example you're trying to coordinate missile strikes with an SG assault, except you didn't factor in how fast your assault group is, so by the time the second missile activates your assault group is in between the SG and the missile. Oops.

You can also use regular radar missiles against jamming by just not activating the missile till it's already on top of them.

But ya, again, one of the poorly explained mechanics.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Serephina posted:

Listening to you people talk about this game is killing me, I absolutely cannot get it to work under Proton =[

I know it worked well at one point but i havent played it in months, have you tried GE fork?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
There is a beta branch now with supposedly a lot if changes but as of yet undocumented. Its been to long since I've played this to figure out what the changes are but restarting this ive already managed to waste a bunch of planes on a SG and cruise missile my own dudes. Still managed to kill it by throwing a cruiser at it then just sold it after. Managed to regroup and refit so maybe this run will be salvageable? Was mostly expecting to relearn all the nuance and die horribly, so while extremely gross thats one down with another one identified nearby.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm gonna guess they're slower but heavily armed and armored since you don't have to try and lift it through the air. I'm thinking WW1/2 Battleships with legs

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If you know they have aircraft you can send the faster aircraft with aa missiles to screen and take the enemy's aircraft out before volleying your own missiles to soften them up and finish off with a brawler. Laser guided bombs do wonders against big ships.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Yea imo the sevestapool should be in a fight, if you do need it your probably going to be crippled the rest of the campaign. Turn it into an aircraft carrier or missile boat.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

by.a.teammate posted:

I just took out a strike group for the first time but didn't get any money or anything, is the only reward there is now one less strike group? Or cos it didnt have a name just had an S by it I have mistaken it and it was just one of those smaller support fleets?

Strike groups will have better loot usually but only if you are nearby to loot them / brawled with them. So basically ya the primary reward is one less strike group. Typically you want to destroy them with a combination of missiles and planes, or severely weaken them before sending in your own fleet, otherwise the cost in damage and time to repair makes it not worth it. Since your engaging them with standoff tactics you generally dont get a lot out of it but having the subsequent freedom to raid and move as you please can be well worth it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

by.a.teammate posted:

Hmmm it had x3 big ships, i took out one with planes, my cruise missiles got taken out by AA guns and then I brawled to get the last two (think one was damaged) and just seemed to be normal loot from taking a city, get more from a trade fleet, ust seems everyone on reddit has huge fleets and lots of cash not sure if I did something wrong

Its going to be better in the sense SGs are full of capital ships and generally have better equipment than a trade ship or whatever, so you might get some sarmats or nukes or something instead of more ak-100s (which you can still get if your unlucky). The crash site loot is based on the ships equipment that was destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

by.a.teammate posted:

EDIT - okay something weird is up, I just took a city with a prize ship, didnt kill it and killed the rest and got no cash, maybe something got busted in this game. bummer was the first strike group i managed to take down without using the big boy you start with

i think this has been a known bug since forever, its been a while since ive played but basically ya that can happen. something about a lone trade ship + garrison fleet maybe? cause normally if a trade ship is by itself you auto capture it, but i think it glitches out if theres a garrison.

its usually safer anyway to attack convoys outside of a city so ill usually just wait for them to leave if possible.