Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Capntastic posted:

I'm jokin'. The Lightning is great and with armor being made less absurdly tough, speed is more valuable than ever.

I'm just glad that boring "brick of armor and guns and no strategic value" designs might stop flooding the reddit.

As a joke I started a new campaign with a fleet of nothing but Lightnings, and whenever one would get damaged instead of repairing it I'd scrap it and weld whatever leftover engines/guns into the Sevastopol to make it The Biggest Lightning Ever (as well as katamari-ing any recoverable wreckage into the mix.)

Ended up with a TWR around 8 and 70(?) turrets and at least one of every weapon (except 220mm rockets) and it was basically the stupidest thing ever. Lots of fun to have a heavy cruiser that can dodge most attacks, delete any incoming projectiles with the help of a dozen miniguns, even though the damage could still be tanked with armor. Especially when firing the main guns annihilates strikegroups so hard that there's no salvage afterward.

Dunno why it's so amusing to build ships wrong on purpose, like putting landing gear on the end of a massive cruiser to park it sideways in a frigate-sized landing bay. Would recommend if you need the 1600% repair speed to turn a silly gimmick into a ludicrous deafeningly-loud overkill machine.

edit: is there some bug that hitting the "enter town" button, while landed at a cleared crashsite in the desert (circle on the map with a 'fuel' number) the game somehow decides that I just entered a new Hidden People city (600km from the nearest hidden city) even though it doesn't actually add the city to the map? And I get the morale and free missiles and can start repairs, until the ship finishes loading fuel and the wreckage mapmarker is removed and the repair job gets interrupted.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I want to love this game but I suck at it and the UI is less than helpful in a lot of respects. I didn't see anything in the OP or on beforeiplay, anyone have some beginners pointers?

100mm AP can't penetrate solid armor plating very well but can punch through a couple blocks of hull and detonate ammo, so use it against small ships like corvette/frigates. Higher caliber AP can oneshot some cruisers like the Archangel. Look at what ships the opposing side has before combat and pay attention to the target profile in the bottom right, where ammo and fuel are highlighted.

Incendiary ammo forces the enemy to use all their limited charges of fire extinguishers and overheats/disables engines, so a little goes a long way if you only fire a couple of shots at a time and then swtich back to HE (you switch ammo types with [R], in case you missed the tutorial popup). Once the display shows they have FSS:0 you can toast them.

Collision damage is a thing, and the fastest way to a gameover is for your people think to think you're sacrificing ships for ramming attacks because the officers will mutiny. Even if you just accidentally bump a ship and lose an engine every ship loses morale.

The trick is to 'bail out' by pushing [T] before impact so the ship is no longer counted as being under your control but just treated as a physics object. Dunno if this is an exploit but it's hilarious.

Airstrikes and cruise missiles don't leave wrecks to loot but somehow nukes do leave salvage. Nuclear rocket tag is fun and profitable but requires a purpose-built fleet because you need multiple small ships that go >1200km/h to bait and dodge incoming missiles and reach the loot before it all burns.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 1, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Abyssal Squid posted:

Yeah I think that's the worst-designed bit of the game. I think I had to alt+tab out of the game to close it and restart and do something else for that fight.

I haven't done this myself but I think you can click the intercom and Request Reinforcements? The tutorial makes a point of that but then it lets you... Not do that, and you can get caught in an endless loop if you don't.

Yeah the tutorial tells you you're supposed to ask for reinforcements before reaching Ur, and also gives you a Nomad which can solo that fight easily... but when the game suggests dispatching a fast strikeforce to a city it only chooses fast ships.

Or since you can request an arbitrary number of reinforcements and nothing that happens in the prologue matters anyway, just keep requesting until they give you a Vega or Triumphant and nuke the poo poo out of everything.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Just stubmled upon a neat trick for splitting parts between fleets. When you order part of a fleet out of city while paused, they split into a second group, and take no parts with them. But if you select the new group, then go back into the city, only they show up in shipworks and you can buy things into their inventory. Since buying and selling is 100% even you can sell anything you want from your fleet staying put and rebuy it onto the ships leaving.

Another weird UI quirk is when you've got a radio signal located, instead of hitting the 'print message' button you can the use the ruler to draw a line along the signal's heading and then switch to a different fleet (as long as you don't enter a city or combat, which resets the radio channel) and re-locate to get two vectors, which lets you triangulate the broadcaster's position with barely any extra effort.

Also since the map markers are permanent and the only way to delete them is to edit your savefile, and the envelope icons are clickable and effectively rendered in front of other map objects so they get in the way when you try to click on a fleet or city (ugh why is this even a thing) it helps to only save the intercept from ships that are traveling between cities, or scouts parked out in West Bumblefuck.

Especially when Alsahir won't quit bugging you, or when you get a tradefleet that glitches out and repeatedly sends "leaving going north at 200kph with a cargo of irrelevant bullshit" announcements which are immediately contradicted by "ETA less than an hour to reach the city I just left 0.1 seconds ago" and they just spam that nonsense constantly until you move all of your ships out of radio range, or shut them up with cruise missiles?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Did something change about radar recently? I can't seem to see targets on radar on the main map anymore.

Threw together a test. Here is a trade fleet that I just visually spotted, and should still be able to see via radar after moving away. They called out "Target on radar" and you can see it on the scope, but not on the main map anymore?

There are two kinds of radar

Early Warning Radar (MR-700 and MR-500, the oldschool spinning dish antenna) only gives a blip in the radar display at the top left of the map UI. It adds to the "radar" stat listed in the shipbuilder. In the image that looks like a 700 since it also has the horizontal greebly bits at the base.

Fire Control Radar (MR-12 and MR-2M, which are much more compact and blocky) is the one you want because it gives both 'tracking' and 'radar' stats and tracking is the one that shows you the exact location and velocity vector of a fleet on the map. Also the 'guiding' FCR gives the guiding stat which lets you use R-9 Sprint missiles to shoot down incoming aircraft and/or missiles.

edit: also it's worth noting that even if an enemy fleet is inside your radar/tracking range, if its effective radar cross-section (largest 'RD sign' stat in the group... similar mechanics with IRST vs 'IR sign') is lower than its distance from your fleet, you still won't detect them. This is important for things like Missile Carrier Groups which are fast stealthy frigates that can detect you using passive infrared and then blind-fire A100s, so they give no ELINT warning and the only thing that shows up on your radar is a missile coming in at 4000km/h.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 15, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Abyssal Squid posted:

Idk how long the repairs would take, but taking a Lightning and remodeling it into a tanker piece by piece would probably be the most realistic way.

Yeah it's not so bad if you find a city with 500% repair bays.

Also sometimes you'll get one of your brawlers wrecked and end up with ~25% of a ship that can still fly to a shipyard, but would need as much time repairing for its original purpose as it would take to rebuild into something else.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Sanzuo posted:

Was coming here to ask about a bug but it sounds like it might be related to this. I'm in the tutorial(?), and i don't have enough fuel for the next town. I am able to purchase more, but it says i'm already at 100% and it won't add more fuel. I'm trapped?

You have to unpause and wait, it takes time to load the fuel into your ships.

edit: oh wait, looks like your range is hosed somehow. Are your engines or fuel tanks damaged? Because that reduces your range a lot.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Is there any merit to the Sseth recommendation of turning it into a small box with engines and parking it in the middle of the desert.

Dunno the specifics/context of the recommendation but thinking in abstract terms: if it's the biggest target on the field it is effectively guaranteed to draw incoming missiles/etc and has limited charges of Sprint AAM and zero ability to dodge, so if you don't want to risk a gameover from catching a nuclear explosion at a bad angle and getting your flagship slammed into the ground then the Sevastopol's mission is "stay away from the action and go hide" in which case all of its massive amounts of armor, fuel tanks, guns, and big engines are superfluous and overpriced and uselessly increase fuel consumption for a ship you're trying to keep out of combat.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a hotkey in the shipworks to place another of whatever you just placed?

Shift-click when placing a part

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Do you mean attacking fresh intel cities, or can you somehow double dip on one that you've already knocked over?

Both. Intel regenerates slowly (but doesn't go above 5) and after you've killed the garrison and entered the city the first time then afterward the map tooltip shows the intel available to decide which city to re-visit and when (like when you're sending your courier on a shopping run to buy replacement parts)

edit: also if you leave a ship in an intel city, and you've already located all of the tactical fleets on the map, you can attempt to scan for them just to verify that all of them are still parked or whether e.g. a missile group has started moving to try to hut down your flagship.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 13, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Where are custom ship designs stored? I've been playing this across two computers and don't really care about syncing campaign progress, but I don't want to have to design stuff twice.

steamapps\common\Highfleet\Ships

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

The only hidden city I've found was by accident, so do I use radar or IR to look for them? I got a caravan clue for a hidden city and roved around unable to find it before I moved on.

Generally hidden cities are >800km from other cities so it can help to look for long mostly-straight roads that lead out into big empty patches on the map. Or whenever you've got a fleet crossing a big gap you can zoom in and watch for roads that aren't near the big lines connecting cities.

Also you can toggle radar into ground-scanning mode which will show some big confusing blobs and a lot of false positives, but if you already suspect where a hidden city is this can help you find it a bit faster than simply following roads.

(e: obviously this also requires turning on you radar which, as noted, isn't always optimal)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Vanilla Bison posted:

Esoteric lore speculation question: what's up with Imlan-Harish's name?

Prince Elaou-Fazil is generally called Fazil or Prince Fazil, and he's a descendant of the Elaou dynasty. So it seems like the hyphenated Elaim naming order convention is Family-Personal, with the Prince being "Fazil of the Elaou." But Imlan-Harish is a former Harishid Guard. Is that "Imlan of the Harish" with a reversed order? Was he named after the service he took up, like finding someone named Mounty in the Canadian Mounties??

Different cultures/languages/histories maybe?

Aside from a Conveniently Selective Apocalypse scenario, it seems unlikely that the entirety of human civilization could be accurately depicted or even summarized within the scope/timescale of a grogboat explosion sim.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Tetraptous posted:

I picked this game up a couple of weeks ago, and it’s totally my jam. Interesting to read some of the reviews of it, since most of the complaints seem to really be about very intentional design decisions. The universe is so cool lots of people want to play it, but probably not too many people were looking for a weird mashup of twin-stick shooter Lunar Lander meets Harpoon. Turns out I am the target audience!

Anyway, I feel like I’m finally at the point where the gameplay loop clicks for me (and I figured out where to buy bombs for my airplanes). Still haven’t arrived at Khiva yet, but seems like I’m on the right track. Likewise, just at the point where I am exploring modifications to my ships. A couple of questions here:

1. Sevastopol comes with multiple IRST and FCR units. I understand that the effective range is reduced when you block the sensor cones, so it makes sense to put a sensor on each side of the ship. But is there any point to having both the large and small versions of each sensor? I stripped it down to just one large unobstructed FCR and two large IRST pods. I ditched the search radar, and feel like I don’t miss it.

2. It looks like carriers need a special flight deck hull part to mount aircraft. Where do I find these? Since I’ve been looking (a couple of games), I don’t think I’ve seen one, even at shops that have lots of aircraft to buy. Am I doing something wrong or just unlucky?

1: Except in the case of stacking 'guiding' stat from having multiple FCR letting you fire more R9-Sprint missiles (only relevant for facetanking a carrier's airstrike) the only reason to have redundancy is if you're expecting your sensor ship to be getting shot, which is generally suboptimal since they shouldn't be in combat at all.

2: flight deck is made of regular hull components (which is also how you select to add deck instead of reinforced triangles or whatev)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

MagicBoots posted:

Jamming doesn't do what you think it does, its like shining a blinding light in the opponents face, everyone knows roughly what direction the jammer is in but can't tell how far. Best used on ships to distract or re-direct the enemy away from your important ships.

so was it just a funny bug when I turned on my jammer one time and immediately got an implausibly precise "ALERT. UNIDENTIFIED CONTACT RANGE 7483KM" or somesuch?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

double nine posted:

does the infrared scanner just not work when landed? or is it sometimes bugged ?

this fleet consists of a skylark & a lightning and yet there was nothing notable on the infrared until visual range.

Sensors have reduced range when landed? Like if you turn on a fire-control radar the map visually shows you the nominal sensor range (targets with a smaller signature can be undetected inside the radius, also if there's a jammer active it reduces your actual detection range)

Here's a random fleet landed: shown range is ~350km

now the range is ~387km and the only difference from the previous screenshot is that the fleet is now in the air

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

ughhhh posted:

- the tharkhan recruitment is relatively simple. Each has a predetermined set of characteristics that they will always pull from and is visually represented (the empire looking guys will hate desert people, mean looking ones will like violence etc), and you have a shitton of chances. I don't think I have ever failed in recruiting one. The only problem I've had is sometimes they start with too little loyalty so I can't use them to their fullest ( the better your talk, the more times you can call them up for support).

-generally a decent idea to salvage valuable loot or Crew Quarters in wrecks for shiny objects to throw at tarkhans. each adds a single-use card alongside your regular tarkcards, especially useful when all your other options are duds

-manually salvage wrecks in general because the auto decision-making sucks. often you have to hit ammo/fuel first to keep them from blowing up everything else but generally you should equip safety gear before taking any hazardous options, unless you can take a coinflip -1 morale hit across your whole fleet in exchange, but especially:
--don't rescue survivors. ever. dunno why the game always prioritizes them but you never need to rescue anyone and aside from the fact they aren't really relevant...
-Kindness is a trap. in the RPG city events the game actively punishes you for trying to play virtuous and often rewards being an aggressive selfish rear end in a top hat because the writers assume you're gonna act like a nuclear-armed dictator. just don't get excessively careless/stupid/greedy because there are some obvious schmuck bait options.
-lifeboats are for cowards so the best thing to do is uninstall and sell them. did I mention no survivors? yeah. think like a crazy rear end in a top hat.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 29, 2022

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

A Russian troll farm posted:

The stock ships usually just have one or two major design flaws that you should fix. For instance, they'll have a big hole in the top armour to shoot zenith missiles through. So if they hit you from above they detonate one of the missiles and kill you. Maybe just trade the missiles for another gun and armour the whole top. Paladin becomes Paladin Mod. A.

Well yeah, the stock ships are made to to perform generally okay within the ["every fight is just a straight-up slugfest between mindless flowchart robots"] design realm, but also made with intentional flaws to make engaging one's brain more rewarding for the player. Though there will still be times you just wanna smash button and make things go BOOM

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

obviously they have a sky carrier that hot drops them into battle like mecha in battletech

any excuse to use the word "ekranoplan"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Serephina posted:

Doesn't that just generate infinite alarm? I'm not sure if I should be resigned to be at full alarm state 100% of the time or not.

If you turn on a jammer enemies with ELINT sensors (strikegroups and cruiser-escorted traders) can detect there's "something" in the area, and strikegroups will move to investigate the signal if they aren't already busy chasing your flagship, but it's not the same as when you get visually spotted and every guard ship within 1500(?)km immediately lifts off and actively patrols for 16 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

AParadox posted:

Weapon arcs have been bugged since forever and do not actually apply in combat. Even weapons with fully red arc will shoot in 360° without hindrance.

True of 1.16 but that particular abomination was a ship I submitted for Phros' community-mod LP series which is specifically limited to v1.15, so gun arcs do apply. My entries mostly relied on counterintuitive interactions with triangular hull parts in the z-elevation rules to get full gun coverage with goofy designs that look like they shouldn't work.

When building that ship at one at one point I decided ["okay I'm basically done but way under-budget... guess I'll just add a bunch of unnecessary fire extinguishers in silly places"]