Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Extremely cool, looks like a must buy for me. Microprose has a nice gamplay video for it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n411Tz6dAKw

It does seem too bad that there's no allied AI ships, but the combat looks like a very nice arcade/simulation mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
It's very hard. It seems extremely difficult to make money faster than you spend it (on fuel and repairs), so in every stream I've seen, even if they're winning the early battles comfortably, they're slowly bleeding to death. There are also a lot of enemy fleets flying around that are incredibly strong, basically unbeatable without a much stronger fleet than it seems possible to get, and the map detection mechanics are pretty obscure even after having read the manual, so it seems hard to avoid the super fleets.

Part of it is that there's a ton of mechanics that not all of the streamers are using properly - for example I haven't seen many use ammo types which might help make the tougher fights doable (but it's also very expensive), and you can "spend" relationship with characters in exchange for things like money and ships, and it's probably necessary to do that to stay above water.

It's hard know what the game "expects". No one has made it to the final challenge or knows what the end of the game looks like. Are you even supposed to build up a strong fleet to beat a big boss like in FTL (which the developer compares this game to) or are you supposed to just barely survive to whatever the end is while avoiding all the big enemy fleets?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Rynoto posted:

The one thing that looks iffy, to me, is the only controlling one ship against multiple ships part of the game. Still going to pick it up because it looks great besides that but still would have liked to see more than just 1vX fights. Hoping that there will be (already is?) some way for other ships in the fleet to influence fights without being active so there's incentive to create other types of support ships and such.

Other ship types are definitely necessary since you need fuel tankers and radar ships, but you can also launch long range missiles (including tactical nuclear missiles) at enemy fleets without directly engaging in combat so a support missile craft is also possible. Having a ship that's simply really good at shooting down long range missiles is another possible ship type, since there are both guns and defensive missiles that are designed for shooting down missiles, and apparently being nuked happens in the late game.

No way of knowing yet how viable or important each of these things is of course, although I imagine having some of these mixed and matched is good. The flagship does all of them to some extent for example.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

the real question is

can you turn off the bullet holes in combat because that just looks annoyingly distracting

No, there are basically no settings at all. Yes it is very distracting. The combat feels good though, I'm still getting used to the absolute controls (I'd been playing brigador and starsector with relative controls recently), and I don't love the little targeting arrow instead of a sight line or reticle, but overall it feels quite good.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

OTOH I wonder how ship building works. Can you just straight up build a new ship from scratch?

Yes you can. The ship building is pretty good, the UI is disastrous but the actual building mechanics seem pretty reasonable and balanced. The stock ships seem pretty well-made too.

Larry Parrish posted:

I'll admit it seems like fast craft are the only thing you can possibly personally pilot because armor is really effective, but even tanked shots cause so much loving screen effects that you can't possibly fire back. Which if intentional is really cool as a kind of suppression mechanic. Problem is since it's one ship vs the enemy squadron at a time, you have no way to draw fire besides hoping the enemy's reload cycles eventually line up or blind firing and hoping you get lucky. And since this game is set in the sky it has no cover or terrain to use.

You can definitely pilot armored ships, I've been playing around a bunch with the ship editor (which contains a little simulation tester against powerful enemy fleets), and so far it seems like the only way to beat big fleets is with heavily armored ships. Small agile ships just don't have big enough firepower to scratch the enemy cruisers, and when you're fighting 2-3 powerful ships that have tons of large guns, it's pretty impossible to avoid all enemy fire and anything that hits you cripples you. You can try big agile ships with tons of guns but no armor, but the same thing happens, every high-caliber shot that hits you cripples you.

On the other hand, with heavily armored ships I can easily take out the whole enemy fleet with only armor damage. I made a 47k ship that I can wipe the floor against the simulator with, and I'm sure I can do a it for cheaper - I wasn't trying to be restrained when I built it. By comparison, a gladiator is 27k and I get smashed in it, maybe 2 kills out of 5-6 before I die, and only the small ships, I can't kill the cruisers.

I don't know if an expensive ship that can kill everything is fully viable in the campaign (I don't know how much money/time it would take to repair the armor damage, but armor is supposed to be the fastest and cheapest thing to repair so it might not be too bad), but it might be possible.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Nah. You misunderstand me. Armored ships are awesome. You just end up not being able to see loving anything, especially if a couple ships with CIWS spray you with it at the same time. And since you can't see jack it's a lot harder to dodge the cannon shells that might hurt you.

I've had no problem with that.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

TastyAvocado posted:

I've had no problem with that.

Just a little checking, I think those effects are related to how much damage you're taking, if you're heavily armored, small caliber shots definitely don't cause bullet holes or screen shaking, only bigger shots do.

edit: it's not even bigger shots, you don't really start getting screen effects from anything, even missiles, until your armor starts getting removed.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

The ship works section is a blast just in itself because you can fire it up and make very goofy vehicles. The game should have a mode where you try to make the weirdest thing you can still land.

Yeah there should definitely be a lander tester in the ship builder too, it would be funny.