Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It would be nice if we could do a spreadsheet for advice on the Tarkhans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

champagne posting posted:

Be the change you want tot see in the world

Maybe another tab on the existing sheet

Tab is made, but I cannot remember any dialogue right now, I pretty much forget the moment I am done.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I feel the Tarkhan system was not finished to be honest, there should be more detail, more options, and chances to improve relations

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Planes en masse are very worth the money, you can shred a strike force with a nice air strike.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Trade Fleets are flying and on alert, the garrisons are lazy as poo poo and living the high loving life

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Another thing to think about and stated in game, is that sky piracy is a thing, so if a bunch of ships are coming up on you, and NOT comming you right away... you can assume bandits.

Also I finally started getting deeper into the campaign, Hit an event where I had to sit on a city for two whole days

I was lucky enough that I had via event acquired enough ships with really good point defense that I survived the cruise missile barrage

Then the strike force started to loom on the horizon so I waved out all my light missile bearing ships into it. Fired the missiles while jinking and shooting to wear out their point defense then retreated back to the city. When the strike force arrived I sent my lone heavier ship in. I had to retreat that ship after shooting down two and used the sevastopol to finish them off. Very tense

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 14, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I mean you can really challenge yourself with different builds,

Like right now i'm going to try a game of rebuilding the sevestapol into a battlecruiser in game by piece by piece rebuilding her.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So once the Sevastopol gets over 200 km/h speed it will start being suggested as a sudden strike ship

Also, I took a merc city, and right as I got there I got an ELINT signal from the direction of the next city west. I so looked at the ships for sale, bought a yars, and yeeted 4 cruise missiles at the other city.

took out a whole strike group that was sitting grounded.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

an explosion outside the hull itself is still better than a direct hit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Biggest thing is looting properly, you get a 4k gun off a wreck thats on hard mode 2000 tons of fuel, or enough for the sevastopol to make it another 1000 km.

Crew Quarters are the only higher priority because they are your source of gifts to give to tarkhans, sweet sweet gifts.

Sell crap you won't use, rebuild the sevastopol so its faster/not junk/more fuel efficient.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

i might get flak for saying this but there's really only 3 weapons worth using in actual fights.

these are the good guns:
37mm chainguns are excellent for shooting down incoming enemy missiles and shredding unarmoured targets. If you have several of them they can also shoot down incoming artillery, and with incendiary ammo even a quick burst can instantly ruin small ships. They're cheap in both cost and ammo/power requirements and you can mount loads of them. These are the best defensive tool and a decent offensive one.
130mm guns are great for small Lightning style fighters. They hit hard without having bad ammo or power requirements, and they rotate fast enough to keep up with a nimble ship's movements.
Double 180mm guns hit extremely hard and are excellent for tearing apart large targets. With proxy shells or careful aim they'll ruin small targets as well, and their AP shells can instakill enemy cruisers if they hit the right spot. They rotate pretty slowly and have fairly steep ammo and power requirements so you can't put them on speedy ships, but these are the ideal primary armament for a Brick.

everything else:
57mm guns are the cheapest for a reason: they shoot too slowly to act as point defence but aren't big enough to actually hurt anything.
100mm guns aren't terrible but have the same ammo requirements as 130mm guns and aren't as good, so you might as well just use 130mms.
Single 180mm guns take up the same space as Doubles and almost as much power, so you might as well use Doubles.
Hextuple 180mm guns are extremely impressive but impractical. They're ridiculously expensive and need to be mounted on Large Hull segments, which are far heavier than just mounting the equivalent amount of regular hull parts for some reason. For less space, weight, and price you can easily mount 3 Doubles and the requisite amount of ammo and power modules.
Rocket launchers aren't very good, they're expensive and their rockets can easily be shot down or avoided by enemies. And unlike artillery, the AI actually does try to shoot these down.

Zenith missiles are terrible on large ships, since they require gaps in the armour to fire out of, are expensive and single use, can easily be shot off and aren't that much more impressive than a salvo from a 180mm gun. Large ships also struggle to actually reach a good firing position for them. Zenith missiles could be of some use on small ships, but your smaller ships really shouldn't be fighting anything that would require them too often, and the money you spend on them would be better spent on AP ammo(which can't get shot off in combat and rendered useless, and which can be devastatingly powerful). Nadir missiles I haven't played around with too much because you can't use them in the shipworks editor.

Sprint AA missiles are kind of useless in combat. They, again, require gaps in the armour of large ships, which is never good, and small ships can just avoid missiles anyway. You're far better served by just mounting chainguns for missile and plane defence. They are very good for defending against cruise missiles and long range aircraft attacks, though, since your small ships are grounded and can't just avoid them. Having a few of these on a backline ship for missile defence purposes is probably good, but you shouldn't use them in an actual fight.

Bombs have to be on small ships, since big ones aren't nearly agile enough to use them. Bombs also have to be mounted on the outside to be used, and explode like ammo magazines if they get hit. This is bad. Taking a hit to the bomb bay is immediate death, and I don't find them nearly impressive enough to be worth the risk.

You can armor missiles, by using elevation, any full brick 2x2 can be elevated by having structure cover the 4 cardinal directions. a set of a 2x2 brick with 4 2x1 segments on the sides will pop up, then you can place armor on the outside and the missiles will fire over the armor, this goes for guns, engines, anything that can be blocked really.

57mm is actually pretty good but you want a lot of it. it is also cheap. Yes 20 37mm's will shred anything overtime but.... thats 60k a 20 57mm will kill much faster and still output enough fire to knock back anything incoming.

behold

Now this is a bit of extra stuff hanging around but. better damage, more speed, more range, cheaper

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Merchants are the most dangerous fuckers in all of Gerat. There is nothing that spots me more than merchants. Even sending a loving Lightning at them, when I know they're there from IR and can hit them the instant they spot me, they still get off a message.

you need 900km speed to reliably hit a merchant before they alert. Note that for two hours after they launch from a city they will auto alert.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

elevate your large statics by shoving 1x1 pieces below them (2 2x1s will cover the bottom) and take out the armor between to squish them together, then slap the armor beneath, now elevated the engines will work over the armor and be protected from a gutshot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Oh boy. I should have known there'd be more to this than taking Khiva. Pyotr, you loving idiot, first you murder Daud, now this!? Pointing Russian Man, you should be pointing to yourself as the Worst.

Ah the fun part.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I spent many runs rebuilding the sevastopol into a murderbeast, its not actually difficult if you understand how to upengine her properly.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

aircraft carriers and missile fleets won't move that much

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ughhhh posted:

Other than the flagship which seems to be meant for modifying, are there other stock ships in the campaign people like to mod to extend it's usefulness?

Lightning seems to be perfect as it is and any changes I make seem to make ruins it's best qualities...

Lightning but give it the next size up guns works pretty well, 130 molot stonk.

Skylark to improve its recon capabilities.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I mean my best strategy has just been a big old box with ALL of the 57mm guns on it and just DAKKA

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think you can still cheese the game with an armored box containing 20-30 57mm guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

That's the pro-strat, as the Sevastopol should ideally never see combat and all that armour turns it into a slow gas guzzler. Some people like to turn it into a missile+aircraft carrier, but I just turn it into a giant unarmoured tanker bristling with sensors and antiair equipment.

For new players, the Sevastopol is great to knock out a Strike Fleet that you couldn't handle otherwise. It may be a inefficient dinosaur, but a trex is still going to obliterate almost anything else. Until you have a something like an upgunned gladiator or archangel to handle heavy threats, you should probably keep it gunned.

Definitely get rid of the ammo cache next to the bridge before it kills you, and move the giant gun that has a really crap firing arc. And definitely use mini fleets of lightings and skylarks to actually capture cities. They can take a city before the alarm goes off, with generally little damage, and you'll do twice as many captures, and at many times the speed of doing it with the main fleet.

The fun way is to turn the 'pol into an effective brawler and smush faces in the end game.

Or just build ye olde deathbricke.