Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Dicked around a bit because it was a slow day - the SIGINT stuff suddenly appearing on the main UI was pretty lol, that was a hell of an info dump

Really like the general aesthetic, ship fights seem fun but I wanna dick around in something bigger than what the early game throws at you

You get given a cruiser toward the end of the tutorial and it seems to be a horrifying monster that wrecks poo poo with its heavy cannon and a bajillion missile launchers. It is also a lumbering behemoth that will get constantly hit and suffer damage though, even if it has point defense guns that buzzsaw down missiles. Capital ships seem to exist 1) To provide gigantic fuel tanks to ferry around your smaller ships 2) provide strategic missile capacity for long range ruination of things (not tried this out yet) and 3) To dumpster enemy ships in critical combats at the cost of getting shot a lot then requiring a painful amount of money and time to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Much like reality specialization is the way to go. I'm going to strip and convert two of my starting Navarin's to scout craft only, and see how it goes.

I started with a Skylark which seems to do an excellent job there, it is fast, has good sensors and has a disgustingly absurd range. I think over six thousand kilometers?

Along with zero weaponry and less cost than a Navarin.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I think bombing is generally something for very fast corvettes that you send in first during a sudden strike to blow up enemy ships before they can take off, or neutralize ground based missile launchers? Before having them retreat after they are done with their bomb load.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So in my current run I appear to have a gigantic surplus of nukes? I have the nukes that the Sevastopol starts with then when visiting a town I got an option to back a coup in return for a ship. The coup plotters, with my aid, dishonourably murdered the local mayor then gave me a strategic frigate that is basically a flying block with six nukes. Then I visited another town and found some nuclear weapons silos, where I looted the nukes.

So now I have I think eleven or twelve nuclear missiles? Should I just start nuking every single city or task group in my path on the way to Kiva?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I have jumped in on the trend of designing your own fleet murdering monster cruiser to start the game with and have ended up designing this:

Expensive but you CAN start with it and it seems to be able to basically be invulnerable to everything apart from nukes, though it also has excellent point defense fire thanks to four chain guns. Why is it quite so big and with that empty space? Because by surrounding the central structure sufficiently I was able to give every single gun a 360 degree field of fire, this block of armour can fire in any direction despite having a huge fuel tank and good range. I should probably try to 'square off' the shape more and rely more on fixed thrusters for greater efficiency with armour and fuel consumption though.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

Are you actually taking out multiple strike group light cruisers with that thing without ending up with half your armor blown off and fifty hour repair times? Because the problem with these one big armored bastard builds is you have every sg on the map headed to your location every time you touch a city because you'll never catch them off guard and the need to wait out the salvage timers and refuel means you can't stay ahead

I did manage to bull my way to the second save point city with one big dumb flying brick of my own design but the amount of fire just keeps stacking up

So far at least it has never had more than a few hours of repair time but I have already redesigned it to have less fuel storage in order to improve efficiency, this is the updated design:

Not much cheaper but it burns significantly less fuel to move around and still has sufficient range. The general rule seems to be that if you keep all of your damage to armour then you are fine, so long as I avoid using nukes then I am also not having issues with long ranged missile fire from strike groups.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

So is the game plan with these giant bricks to simply smash every strike force on the map, or do you also bring a few lighter craft along to take cities?

...are there a limited number of strike forces on the map? Is it actually possible to depopulate them?

I really, really hope the fact that putting the repair slider all the way to the right sometimes doesn't repair everything is just a bug and not inscrutable grog logic thing.

There are only five strike forces on the map and once they are gone they are gone, it is very useful to grab a Tarkan ASAP to get a frigate or something though because then you have something which can land more practically or detach to raid cargo fleets.

That said the brick linked above can typically fight... Well anything I have had it fight so far, without losing a single module, thus leading to zero cost repairs that last only a few hours at most.

Edit: But it also cannot land, the legs just snap off then the fuel tank ruptures and it explodes. May need to fix that.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So another option I am trying in my current run? Spend almost all of your starting cash on a massively armoured and heavily gunned murder brick. Then sit for 'too long' in a town and kill everything that comes to mess with you.

I need to go to sleep and so need to wait until tomorrow see how this goes but at the current point my murder brick has killed all of the enemy strike fleets, they are gone, nothing left. That said thanks to missile strikes and aircraft all I have is a murder brick, a Sevastapol with missing bits due to airstrikes and a single Navarin corvette. The brick did demonstrate the ability to kill three strike fleets in a 24 hour period without repair though so I am hoping it can carry me to unsubtle victory?