Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

very excited for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Windows 7 is out of support why are you doing that to yourself

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what is the point of carriers exactly? Seems like the only ships I've been using in combat are interceptors. The fact that the planes are so expendable seems to make carriers just super expensive. I have launched the planes from the map view and i guess you can sort of scout with them?

In regards to the visibility issues, you still get your radar style display when the screen darkens up, right?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Michaellaneous posted:

In the supply screen, where you buy fuel, scroll to the right to buy weapons for your planes - bombs, missiles etc. You can then send those out on strike missions. Hover over a plane, select the weapon - press multiple times for more planes - and launch them with LMB.

Thanks!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

main main strike craft

any way to make dumb bombs more accurate or increase visual range on them? made a carpet bomber but it doesn't work great.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 28, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Patrat posted:

I think bombing is generally something for very fast corvettes that you send in first during a sudden strike to blow up enemy ships before they can take off, or neutralize ground based missile launchers? Before having them retreat after they are done with their bomb load.

that's how i had them built but idk, it seems hard to replenish the bombs. i'm just gonna do the same thing with missiles instead.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I was able to just brute force my way to the endgame with this rig

No need for a strike force when you can just wreck any enemy fleet and shoot down any missiles with 4xCIWS

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Did you name it "Brick"?

No but it certainly flies like one! Not once did I try to manually land it. Luckily it didn't take any damage that would necessitate that.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

and now my mission will be to design some kind of armored interceptor that is fast enough to sudden strike cities but also not take enough damage to delay the fleet more than a couple hours. It seems difficult to refuel if you have a lot of capacity without being reported though. But then again that's the downside of a big fleet.

I think the trick here might be to just have two or three and only repair them while you are refueling.

i really wish they broke down what the different radars do. what is the point of an FCS exactly? Cruise missile control?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the game definitely needs a few patches to balance for better gameplay and pulling back on the insane effects. i do appreciate the blackout effects your guys get.

do enemies ever run out of fuel?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Sankis posted:

I mostly, really, just want to be able to see the damage I'm causing the enemies. Also this game is hard and I barely have any idea what I'm doing.

You can see the damage for the enemy you have targeted on the display in the bottom right of the screen. i do wish you could see better on the screen though. it would make for more engaging fights if you could realistically target systems.

current gen of my strike craft

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

so never stay in a town for more than 10 hours right?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Aside from the cities eventually getting sick of you and calling a bunch of very angry missile spammers, is there any time pressure to the campaign? Some of the repair times can get really long and I'm wondering at what point I should just sell the ship for scrap and move on.

E:

Is that an actual limit or just a guess? I swear I've sat in a city repairing for 15 hours and it was fine but I was also playing at like 2am so maybe I hallucinated that.

it depends where the strike fleet actually is

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Carriers are probably worth taking just for the recon ability they add. maybe just mod the sevastpol though hmm.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Back Hack posted:

So, here are two of my designs that seem to working out for me, they're essentially better Gladiators.

Tallboy: Armed with 4x100mm autocannons and a chain-gun, with options for a couple external missiles and plenty of APS. Basically my workhorse.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b-aPXTJGGeKYtswxemSeGIt5ZEnWIYlo?usp=sharing

Nutcracker: Wielding 2xchain-guns, 2x100mm autocannons, 1x180mm cannon, and internal missile bay of missiles. Basically my cruiser killer, missiles and the cannons put big holes in the armor at a distant, while the chain-guns rip apart the internals components at close-range.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wiu2eJmgHsJ0G8vFmZJzuGO0fZIkHh3P?usp=sharing

I have some similar designs for Strike Cruisers. I guess the big disadvantage is your task force uses a lot more fuel which seriously bogs you down on the strategic layer (shorter range+time refueling). Ive been experimenting with a more agile fleet of lightnings and missile variants of lightnings and it ends up feeling more RNG dependent though.

going to experiment with having multiple Skylarks and see how it goes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Trying a new strategy of splitting my taskforce up and attacking multiple targets at once. Seems pretty effective, plus you can triangulate enemy positions better with multipl skylarks.

Sevastpol

Skylark
2x Lightning
Rook

Skylark
2x Lightning
Rook

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Top Gun Reference posted:

It seemed like a bad idea for your flagship to be a big, slow, dumb brawler like the Sevastopol, so here's my take on a hybrid fleet carrier/guided missile flagship, the Moskva. It's loosely inspired by the real life Moskva and Kiev-class carriers. :v:

-more speed than the Sevastopol
-cheaper
-slightly worse range
-better TWR, easier to land
-6 missile tubes to taste
-6 CIWS
-11 AA missiles
-5 interceptors
-6 fighter-bombers
-all of the sensors
-jammers

Obviously, never ever take this into direct combat, but it's actually more durable than it looks. It's able to win most of the time against the test fleets in the shipworks and is quite survivable against missile strikes. The fuel tanks are decently armored and it has plenty of fire suppression. Also, like the Sevastopol, it only has escape pods for 1/3 of the crew, but if you're at the point where that's an issue you've already lost.

If you wanna use this thing, here ya go: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jIDnmOSYgKGtVB7F7jV_nGq9izBfoizn?usp=sharing. It has the m_flagship=true tag so you can throw your Sevastopol right in the trash where it belongs!

This is perfect and almost exactly what I end up converting it to!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Are jammers the unlabelled barrel looking things?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

:dukedog:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

I laughed so hard the first time that popped up

there really should be confetti

god drat this end game is nuts. Carriers seem really favored since you can scout everywhere with them basically.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

seems like flares are bugged? like if i put them on my ship they are always out of ammo. hmm.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Back Hack posted:

I think you're confusing the APS with flares. :v:

It seems to be just bugged in the editor's tester for some reason.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

whats our plan to win? kill every carrier and strike group before entering the city?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

also flares are 100% bugged and sometimes have no ammo for no reason

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ive accidentally ambushed one of the carrier groups when it was parked at some town once. Seems totally doable to take the rest out.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

definitely recommend putting jammers on all skylarks

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

what's it mean when the background of the clock starts turning red from the hour hand? time since some event, but what?

time since your position was reported. there should be a red flag on the map showing where as well

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

I just got the ramming event without actually having rammed an enemy vessel, or even lost one of my own. I had a lightning which got beat up super bad and lost a bunch of crew and then had to blast itself at the retreat pint directly past an enemy ship, but no contact was made.

Its only a rumor

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

why are there no patch notes?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that calculation doesn't seem to take into account radar or IR detection which vastly alter the odds. you can test those out manually by flipping the corresponding switches in the bottom right. It could use more documentation overall.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they seems to have a 400km radius where they can detect you. whether or not they have actual radar seems to depend on the garrison though. again as far as i can tell none of this is clear.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

you are incentivized to destroy escape pods right? does having them go off make it more likely the "search for survivors" option triggers during looting?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Womyn Capote posted:

How many ships do you take to start. I think Im making a mistake taking too many and then I run out of money/fuel after the first 3 or 4 stops I make.

I take

1x Flagship

1x Skylark
3x Lightning
1x Modified Rook

1x Skylark
3x Lightning
1x Modified Rook

Which leaves me with like $30k. Granted, I have a decent bonus already. Having two groups that can operate independently of your flagship should really help with money issues.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 3, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The morale penalty for ramming isn't even that bad and you only get it the one time as far as I can tell.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

are aircraft not at most rare parts cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Roumba posted:

Aggressive-dive bombing. I love it.

its honestly the only way to make those bombs work, just full speech blacking out on approach