Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Game needs a slomo button, I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So, I've got a strike force of heavily armored 37mm spammers, a carrier group with an assortment of cruise missile ships I've picked up, and then 3 groups of tiny tankers shuttling fuel out to the big boys.

It's working, but I'm not seeing how I'll make the jump to fighting an enemy strike force tbh

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So, my current gameplan has me parking carriers and cruise missile carriers out in the desert, launching strike packages at the baddies, while stripped down transports and corvetts shuttle supplies out to them.

Edit: do stores replenish?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dandywalken posted:

How are you making money doing that?

Being very careful to not enitrely kill off the enemy strike group. Also I tear apart most of the ships I get.

Oh, and my starting bonus is now 120k, and my flagship is cheap as heck

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dandywalken posted:

How are you making money doing that?

Oh, and I pulled the coords of the hidden cities from my save file, so I've got islands to hop between

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

TescoBag posted:

I wonder what the repair bonus was.

wow, what are the little wheel things?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Assuming that you're not loving with me, how do I get those?

I want to make a turtle ship that lands and shoots upwards

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vizuyos posted:

Does anyone know what influences the chance of the fire suppression working? There's clearly something inherent to ship design that affects the chance, because it usually works on the stock ships, but literally never ever actually extinguishes fires on my armored brick no matter how many charges I pop.

Do you have enough systems? How many tonnes per supressor

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vizuyos posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Looking at the stock ships, I think you're right - all the big ships have most of their fire suppressor systems placed right next to the fuel tanks.

Meanwhile, my custom designs have them squeezed in randomly near the edges, and the offending ship doesn't have FSSes anywhere near the fuel tanks. Which is a pain in the rear end, since the game seemingly doesn't let you move multiple parts at once, and therefore I'm going to have to pull this entire ship apart one piece at a time to fix the issue.

This thing takes one hell of a beating as long as it doesn't catch fire, and can strip off enemy armor in a couple good focused volleys with its six 130mm guns and then mulch the insides with six CIWS guns.
Ooo, love the hidden dick

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

That sucks. The bonus let you beat your head on the wall until you broke through, hope they make it a toggld

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Welp, the baddies got me pinned and bounced probably 12 missiles and 20 aircraft off my force trying to hide in the desert, and then smoked me with two strike groups as I tried to get to a safe port. Down 5 ships and most of my cruse munitions, under 120k in cash . Starting to feel like a death spiral, and I am not looking forward to loosing my bonus

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Marzzle posted:

also a lot of the wins posted itt were from a time there was a bug that would let you endlessly stack bonus cash from previous plays so people were going into a fresh game with like 500 grand and just mopping the floor with everyone from the early game :v:

That wasn't a bug, that was a design choice, wasn't it?

I liked it, it let me lose campaigns until I had about 300k at the start.

Although the 300k start campaign is faultering, and I'm worried my start bonus is gonna be garbage after the "bug" was "patched"

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

At the risk of attracting sneers and grumbles, I've been having rather more fun with campaigns where I pre-mark the hidden cities.

Given that there are 6 randomly scattered about, and they're pretty front and center to the success of your fleet, trying to hunt for the bastards out in the desert is pretty hellish.

So I start my new campaign, I throw down 6 markers, and then I match their x/y coords in the save to the hidden cities, and presto, I'm a drat dirty cheater.

As far as recon goes, can only the supersonic jets see the ground?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I think the subsonic J29's can see it too and 6 of them with 122mm rockets will decimate most flights if not intercepted

Hmmm OK. I've had them overfly where I know a hidden city is, without them spotting it

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Flagship:

Heavy Cruiser:

The CV and the CA hang out together, with the CA being intended to finish off SG's

CVL:

2 light carriers form the core of my own 2 strike groups

CL:

Light cruisers are the main striking force/town takers

As you'll note, they're all 300kph, towards optimal fuel efficency when combined with a buttload of heavy tankers:

Generally I am pressing forward with recon flights off the carriers, and then moving into the recon bubbles "tender" tankers with some EW capibility:

While some light EW vehicles skulk at the edges to hopefully draw off cruise missile strikes etc

To my understanding, ships that are held-back speed wise lose fuel efficency, so I've got my core fleet elements and fuel tankers running at 300 kph, with the tenders at 480 and the light EW's at 800. If any of these seem cool lemme know and I'll add them to the sheet

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cruise missiles arrive one at a time, and seem to attract more flak than planes for some reason

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Welp, got the strike groups cleaned up, and most of the tactical groups.

... the capital is way far away though, tryna work up the gumption to go for the end game

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

check the save profile folder, your variants are in there

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Friction posted:

I've been messing a lot with the shipyard, and restarting the campaign to check how the custom ships actually land to cities (would be nice to have this as test feature as well). There seems to be something odd going on doing this, since occasionally the shipyard blanks out and only your custom designs are available. When this happens, your campaign accumulated bonus and unlocked ships get nuked. Happened thrice during testing sessions already, anyone else had this happen?

Anyways. Here's Grom. 2x75mm 2x130mm, 4 zeniths, 4 downward flares. Fairly well protected missiles and fast enough to get silent strikes easily. Also slight bit cheaper than Gladiator.

I prefer having all missiles launch in the same direction so I know which way I need to juke

Also, if you do z stacking, you can have your missle launchers behind armor

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

AtomikKrab posted:

Tab is made, but I cannot remember any dialogue right now, I pretty much forget the moment I am done.

The likes and dislikes of the tahrkahns is in the save file btw

Friction posted:

Did some testing, and figured out what's reseting the campaign bonus (and ships). If you quit your current campaign, you can see in the main menu that you can start a new one with bonus. And if you start, it works as expected. However, if you quit the entire game without starting a new campaign, the bonus and all unlocks will vanish. So if your run goes sour and you end it, don't quit the game outright or you'll bonus will be gone as well. As of 1.11 version, always start a new campaign before you quit the game!

Can confirm, lost my 128k bonus to this

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Welp, made it to the end game.
How serious are the nuclear strike groups?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Does search not work anymore?

Looking for the updated advanced building guide, with z level and space saving tips, thought it was on the steam guides

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

you're my hero

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwhSnMg_Vkw

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So is there an upgraded build guide? Do the corner setups still save mass?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Fight to Hera Vera mod looks dope, hopefully the scan process on nexus doesn't take too much longer

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Nice, it's up

https://www.nexusmods.com/highfleet/mods/16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bug Squash posted:

Wow my anti-virus does not like that mod at all. I think I'll wait until a few more people have given it the all clear before letting it out of quarantine.

It uses an injector to get crap into the game

Anyhoo, mod p good so far, though ard as gently caress