Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Listening to you people talk about this game is killing me, I absolutely cannot get it to work under Proton =[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Giving the game another go; it runs like total rear end in proton but it's playable with everything turned down in windowed mode. I've not even made it through the tutorial; when the part about decoding radio transmissions comes in I see that someone is heading to the right-handed branch, so i go left and have an easy fight. On my way to the next node (northwards always, right?) I decode another transmission mid-flight that all the world reads like "I'm in the right-hand node still", except when I get to the north node there's like eight guys waiting for me and that's not a fight I can win. I'm pretty stupid; was I supposed to alter course to somewhere (the take a sharp turn and go to the right-hand node?), park my butt in the desert and wait, or am I supposed to git gud and win the 1-4 vs 8 fight? I'm also bleeding cash like crazy buying fuel, but I assume there'll be some way to make money soon enough.

Too stupid to beat the tutorial, god help me -_-

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks for that, got through it in the end. In the campaign now, I absolutely love the intel war stuff (even if jamming seems to not work the way I'd expect - I seem to be spending 100% of my time in high alert).

I don't think I 'get' aircraft carriers - I launch a bunch of planes, they show up and all die without scratching anyone with their pea shooters. Bought a bunch of missiles (expensive!!) and likewise they just blew all their rockets and did nothing. Am trying to scrape together enough parts to build a big fat combat cruiser since I don't really have any answer to any midsize guys with armour.

I really with there was stronger 'blueprint' support in the game; I enjoy having to 'wing it', but like after I upgraded one tanker with basic parts I'd like to just press a button and have the other mimic the design.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cool, I think I'm gonna scrap this campaign and start again; strip the Sevastapol of all its guns, and start with an actual brawler in addition to all of the interceptors. Anything I should do tomorrow before I restart, e.g. suicide the Sevastapol into a "HQ" city for plot reasons // or unlock new ships?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Doesn't that just generate infinite alarm? I'm not sure if I should be resigned to be at full alarm state 100% of the time or not.

I tried a bombing run with actual bombs and they actually did well vs the strike group, will remember that thanks! I unlocked a second start location so I'm just gonna go design some fast ships and maybe a hulking heavy cruiser and see if I can do the second game with a main fleet that's not got atrocious fuel efficiency. Yes, I know not to send my flagship on milk runs, but by golly is the fuel per km a joke regardless.

Trying to build my own stuff in the designer is really tedious work, however. So much jank, hah.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh wow I'm going through the back pages of this thread (and stuff I can find on the internet) and like all of the super broken builds are based around previous patches, like 6x D-30S engines on a tanker and the total cost is 1650. Yea, they kinda cost a bit more than that! I guess it now makes more sense to shove on the actual utility parts and make a complete ship instead of those itty bitty cheesy things.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What does that thing even do? Like, other than have no firing arc whatsoever.

It looks pretty, I'll give it that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean I'd swear they'd need another Z-level to shoot above the large fuel tanks, but I'm just a noob. But they block one another, right? Unless you've got some voodoo that I don't know and if so please share.

edit: oh my god I have been making this so much harder on myself than it needed to be

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 27, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there any reason not to plumb the poo poo out of Tarkan allies who give cash asap? Like, do I need that loyalty later for anything, at the risk of asking for minor spoilers?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks for that, I'll try to save a few loyal people then. In the meantime, I'm trying to convert the Sevastapol into a fighting ship (and mostly selling off or refitting any other cruisers I get); do Palashes have any place on a ship that's gonna take such a serious drubbing? I salvaged a bunch and am too lazy to try and recreate my current sevasta-disaster in the ship editor to test it. I'd suspect they'd all expire almost instantly when fighting a SG, then get blown off and be impossible to replace; ie they belong on something more nimble? It's probably a better idea to swap all the Vympels for 35mm, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
lol you guys, I know fielding the Sevasta-disasta as a gunship is a bad idea, which is why I'm doing it. If I wanted to be optimal I'd go create custom fuel tankers and poo poo and strip the Sevastapol down to a 2x2 thing with a single engine. Life has given me grapefruit, and I'm making bitter bitter lemonade out of it!

So for the palashes, any fancy geometry that lets them fire while not getting blown off? Asking for a very wide friend.