Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
For me one of the most important elements in a game is presentation. I know a lot of people don't agree, but I can forgive SO much in a game if it is truly beautiful and a pleasure to look at. This game is one of those games and I will be purchasing it. Not saying the gameplay will be bad, in fact in the videos I saw people seemed to be enjoying it quite a bit. But even if it is bad I don't really give a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Perestroika posted:

The issue is that in most games, the raindrops just hit an imaginary plane that's sort of floating in the air, since you don't have a physical camera ingame. It's particularly weird in first-person games where it looks like individual raindrops hit your actual retina.

Well, they often have helmets on. Sometimes at least.

And even where they don't, for some reason despite that not being how it works at all, it still kinda works

Play fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Posted this in another thread but thought it was kind of interesting:

quote:

That is a cool manual. I wish the game supported controller input though, that's kind of a bummer for me.

It's pretty interesting about MicroProse actually, this is more like the undead, re-risen version of the company. It was originally founded in 1982, released some huge hits including Sid Meier stuff, but was defunct by 2003. This new MicroProse is actually the result of a person named David Lagettie, a fan of those games and the publisher, who started purchasing IPs as well as the name and logo of the company and ended up resurrecting it.

It gets even weirder from there as he's also apparently the lead singer of a band called Seventh, and in addition to creating games for consumers he and the Spanel brothers created war/combat simulators that are actually used by the US military among others. And the band supplied the theme song for those military simulators.

I'm not sure if MicroProse itself will be making combat simulators for militaries around the world or if that's in the past.

all else aside this publisher is set up to the most grodnardy of the grodnards and it sounds like this game is a good start even if it is technically fantasy

verbal enema posted:

you have to land EACH craft in your fleet fyi

I haven't played yet but I wonder if that is a great decision. Probably great if you like rage quits at least

Play
Apr 25, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

Anybody having resolution issues? There's no options to fine tune the resolution and my mouse jumps the whole screen if I slide it more than a 1/6th of the screen.

Do you have any DPI options on your mouse itself or some software for it?

Also do you know what resolution it plays it if you can't change it? That's definitely a point against. What game doesn't have resolution options in this day and age...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Alright well I played a bit at lunch, to mixed results.

I actually love the landing minigame. It's JUST hard enough. The temptation to go for the bonus repair is real, even if you aren't damaged at all lol. It's not THAT hard, but you can quickly find yourself in a no-hope situation coming down at the wrong spot or getting off kilter a bit. Still it's fun and I like it.

Combat also seems p drat cool. I still need to truly learn the whole in-world HUD options, but just in general combat is simple but unintuitive enough to be challenging. Bullets don't always go exactly where you want them to, they spread and deviate quite a bit which makes it fun.

UNFORTUNATELY, I got softlocked during the prologue when they try to teach you how to make repairs on a craft. The guy was telling me to click something but most of the screen was blurred out and I couldn't click anything. Managed to get out of that screen but the guy and his instructions were still there and it wasn't letting me click anything else at all. I assume it wanted me to do something, but that thing was impossible for some reason. Not great on that count.

Regardless, it's just a cool game that looks incredible and I believe a lot of this stuff will be fixed going forward. The gorgeous art, intriguing worldbuilding, and challenging gameplay combines really well.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm having the exact same problem. There really doesn't seem to be a way to tune the resolution other than going windowed. And even then my mouse is going crazy as well.

My mouse has DPI + and - buttons, thankfully. I assume OP doesn't though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Hit S to scroll down. Same thing got me. You have to us WASD to scroll in screens as well.

Also lmao capships own

motherfucker....

thank you

Play
Apr 25, 2006

What do you guys think about the best upgrade, gunner medic or mechanic? Leaning towards mechanic but I'd be curious what you guys think

Also how do you fire missiles? Also what is the difference between the missiles you attach in the shipyard and the missiles you buy in the supplies, is the one you buy in the shipyard just the launcher for the supply missiles? It's not exactly clear

Finally, I'm not able to find any transmissions or make much sense of that, maybe because I'm in the prologue or something but I'm curious how other people have done with transmissions and what seemed to work.

Game is a lot more complex than it first appears

Patrat posted:

I started with a Skylark which seems to do an excellent job there, it is fast, has good sensors and has a disgustingly absurd range. I think over six thousand kilometers?

Along with zero weaponry and less cost than a Navarin.

I'm still in the prologue I think, you get to choose all your own ships after that or something?

apseudonym posted:

I shot myself down with my own missile

Awesome

that... actually kind of is awesome. super loving awesome

Play fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 28, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

apseudonym posted:

space fires them in the mission, the longer range missiles are done from the top right on the tactical map. I think cruise missiles are always the tactical map ones.

I got a ship with missiles on the top and fired it at a target in the same direction I was moving fast but below me, unfortunately while the missile knew where it wasn't it didn't know where the firing ship was.

Good to know, thanks. Your anguish is our intelligence resource.

Do you need to line up/lock on missiles shots, or you just have your cursor aimed at a ship and press space?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

apseudonym posted:

E: Also reading the manual you get to the special ammo by going right from the supplies, I did not know this.

I found that but for some reason thought it was normal ammo and wasted shitloads of money on filling up on stuff for all my ships... lol. Does that mean standard weapon ammo is free or part of repairs?

And man, I couldn't disagree more about the visuals and UI. I think it's genius, all of it. So gorgeous and fun and immersive. The little map tools while traveling, the radio, the sonar, the various battle effects, I just find them really fun and different.

I probably do agree about the difficulty though, the attrition just gets to be too much and it's too easy to get yourself into a situation from which there is really no escape no matter what you try and choose to do. Either lower enemy numbers and/or prices or allow saving whenever you want would be a nice touch. Maybe an easy mode that includes those things.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TastyAvocado posted:

Just a little checking, I think those effects are related to how much damage you're taking, if you're heavily armored, small caliber shots definitely don't cause bullet holes or screen shaking, only bigger shots do.

edit: it's not even bigger shots, you don't really start getting screen effects from anything, even missiles, until your armor starts getting removed.

How do you add armor at the shipyard? For that matter do you need to make new ships in the editor first or can you design them directly from a shipyard?

Panzeh posted:

Honestly the UI is probably going to be fun for a bit, and look great in screenshots, but once you're in the game and good at it, it's going to be a real annoyance.

I mean, to each their own. I wouldn't want any of it to go away because they're so good for creating mood.

bromplicated posted:

Can you zoom in during battle? Everything looks so tiny. I scanned through the manual and didn't see anything.

no

Perestroika posted:

Digging through the game files, it fortunately does seem like very nearly everything is just saved in simple plaintext. I haven't had the time yet to actually experiment, but from the looks of the files it seems quite possible to just mod them to, say, cut fuel consumption in half across the board.

I noticed that what seemed like the save file itself was just text. Could be easy enough to alter depending on how it's laid out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Something I found out.
If you loose a campaign, you get to restart with more funds than last time based on how many stars you got. Appearently this game is like FTl in which you are supposed to loose until you get that one godrun going.

Regarding planes: In a city, when you are on the screen to buy fuel, you can scroll to the right to buy different shells for guns and also weapons for your planes.
Yeah, this is only indicated in the manual.

Huh, that's interesting about the funds. I wonder if they just keep going up forever so even the most hopeless player eventually has a chance?

Also regarding the shops, it definitely seemed like you could buy high explosive rounds there, which someone said was the standard round which infinite. Curious about that, or maybe I'm misremembering flame rounds or something. Either way, how do you choose which rounds or missiles a ship is using?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

when you're setting up for battle, you can choose there. HE ammo shows up as an option if you have something else to choose, otherwise you default to HE

keep in mind you have to match the caliber too, don't go buying a bunch of 100mm AP rounds if you've got no 100mm guns

Yeah luckily at the supply shop each type of ammunition shows whether it applies and to which ships when you click on a certain ammo type.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Perestroika posted:

I may be dumb, but how do you refill consumables like anti-ship missiles or flares? They don't seem to show up in the ammo section of the supply shop. Do you literally have to buy a new component in the shipyard each time?

Also lmao do not ever take the event choice that asks you to stay in a town for two full days for some rescue mission. It got me murdered by a million cruise missiles :v:

If you're dumb we are both dumb (very plausible) because I'm struggling to understand the difference between types of missiles, how they are armed/refilled, how you can tell how many you have, which ones are used in battle and which used in the overmap, etc.

Voyager I posted:

Watched the developer's video and it seemed to highlight a lot of functionality that the streamers I'd seen hadn't picked up on at all and also doesn't seem to be explained by the UI anywhere, and I'm gonna be honest - I'm kinda hype at the idea of reading a manual in TYooL 2021.

Manuals are cool af imho

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lexorin posted:

I'd like this a lot better if it had a longer aiming arrow, like say, all the way across the screen. I spend more time missing and getting blown up then anything else.

Yeah you just kinda have to realize that due to the spread and the target moving, the slow rounds, you need to get kind of close to do decent damage in chunks with the normal ammo.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

More options for the testing lab beyond "here's an army glhf" would definitely be appreciated especially if what you want to test is a small ship. Also a quick arcade mode or something would be lovely. There's no real opportunity to practice or just fire it up to go hog wild with some big guns, which is what i want to do today and not have to bother with the map layer.

A million times this. You should be able to test out any ship in an environment of your choice and against any enemies or scenarios of your choice.

Robo Turnus posted:

Do yourself a favor and manually mark them on your radar using the pencil tho. I landed at one and then forgot where it was. You can rest at hidden cities indefinitely and it seems like the game says no one can find you there.

Do hidden cities have full supply and shipyard shops? I didn't even know about them.

Michaellaneous posted:

If you think proxy is insane, wait until you get AP. You need to aim, but it can kill basically any ship in a few rounds at most.

Can someone tell me HOW do you select the ammo you want to use at any given time?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

As far as I understand ammo selection has to happen before the battle.

poo poo I just realized I already asked that question and someone already answered. I just wasn't seeing it before on the battle prep screen.

If you run out of special ammo does it go back to normal I assume?

ErKeL posted:

You can hit 'R' to cycle ammo.

I'm like 8 hours in and I still have no idea what half the dials, buttons and toggles do on the command screen.
...and the ones I do understand I'm sure I'm not using properly.

Feel like I'm still barely scratching the surface.

Oh, cool thanks for that that's good to know. Switching ammo on the fly could make combat a little more deep and tactical.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

man it really is a task to fully understand every system in this game and know how and when to use things. the tutorial doesn't even come close to explaining everything you need to know

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Back Hack posted:

I got three flavors for you.

Golem: heavy corvette armed with 6x130 cannons, 2xchain-guns, 2xMissiles. Is relatively slow, but extremely armored, so it can go toe to toe with most cruisers.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ugDA49A7PnprTm9A3gXsawZSZ0HgxbSZ?usp=sharing

Nutcracker Mk2: Equipped with4xAK-100s, 2xchain-guns, and 1xMK-2-180 cannon. Up-gunned version of my Nutcracker but loses the missiles

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KlPK-5S3eXw5AUZTvra4yoVRVdSsNwoM?usp=sharing

Grendel: Uses 3x57 autocannons for AA and 2xMK-2-180 for everything else. Will tear apart most cruisers as long as you keep your distant.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LAeIycvh_a7EWs-bLCm92v2nxrVQOfTp?usp=sharing

So if I slip these files somewhere into the folder these designs will be available to me? I just haven't dived into the ship editor much year so it'd be nice to play around with other people's designs and maybe get a feel for it. If so where exactly do I need to put these files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Thanks guys! That'll be fun