Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah it seems every reviewer or streamer has missed the ELINT or radar scanning aspects of the game. This is the one part of the game that is comparable to Starsector: not every ship is meant for frontline combat. Like it seems there are cheap tanker-radar platforms that will take up one of your 12 fleet slots, but that will give you access to special abilities early game instead of just going for full pew pew ships.

There also seems to be wreck scavenging/loot raids. IT may be very profitable to build a fast recon ship that is simply zoom zoom to scout out locations on the map and dip away when radar lights up.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah a lot of streamers and reviews are complaining this game is hard, and obtuse. But look, game settings are baked right into the GUI, look right here!

https://youtu.be/pHiriDa130w?t=315
time stamp 5:00

Look at the bottom left, a difficulty knob! The game can be even harder !

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Game punishes failure constantly, even retrying a fight reduces crew moral, so always win on the first run.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Make sure you ship actually has FSS, or a back up one if the first one blew up.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I got a bad game glitch. When i take a prize ship, it becomes a part of the strike force. So when I try to move said ships, they just get caught in a constant battle cycle with a lone prize ship. Bummer.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Plus every ship class you buy/recruit get added to your starting roster picks. Im just getting the hang of running more than 2 strike groups at once. But I still have no idea wtf about hidden cities even with directions.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Turn on ground scan radar and look for roads, then follow the roads. Once you're close enough to follow them visually its pretty easy.

Not every settlement in the desert is a Hidden City though.

You mean what I thought were farms and suburbs are actual things? OK so now what do I do, land near em?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So a cannon round bounced off the ground and hit another grounded enemy bomber, and it was 1shot KO'd. 10/10 would space-afghanistan war again.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is the only way to delete ship models via the game folder and snooping them out? I have a bunch of junk ships that are taking up space at the roster screen.

Im basically reshaping nearly every ship following a basic formula. Im making ships lighter and faster, enclosed missile spaces for survivability, and armoring crit-points. Im experimenting with using steel hull forms for exterior facing segments.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Patrat posted:

So in my current run I appear to have a gigantic surplus of nukes? I have the nukes that the Sevastopol starts with then when visiting a town I got an option to back a coup in return for a ship. The coup plotters, with my aid, dishonourably murdered the local mayor then gave me a strategic frigate that is basically a flying block with six nukes. Then I visited another town and found some nuclear weapons silos, where I looted the nukes.

So now I have I think eleven or twelve nuclear missiles? Should I just start nuking every single city or task group in my path on the way to Kiva?

MAD exists in this world so good luck.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I havent gotten so far in the story because I keep dying in fire...but there are several radar items that are not listed with descriptions, at least yet. There is a jammer-can that has a 5k range it seems, and the Negev light cruiser has a special radar tower that I cant place on anything esle, or buy.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 30, 2021

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Planes and carriers are more of strategic action than a tactical one in this game. If your carrier is in combat you failed as a carrier captian.

Im min-maxing this game and making a flagship from the ground up. But the radar and sensor logic is confusing me. Obviously if a radar/sensor blocks another one they show up red as a dead angle. But what about hull forms? They arent showing up red but a faded yellow for the search angle.

In this image you can see a search radar/sensor. When placed to the side of a hull form. One side seems to have perfect view

Now in this second picture, the sensor on the right is being blocked by the sensor on the left.

But that pale angle of view is still there. What does that mean? Lowered detectability?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im having a constant, across campaign bug and its breaking my mind. Basically none of my ships can get completely repaired. Like it doesnt matter how minor the damage is, if I have spare parts in stock, if im in a ship repair town or rare mats town. Basically sometimes it says it cant repair the ship, like it wont let me, or when the repairs are done there is still damage shown on the ship in combat. And it always says the ship is damaged when landing.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
If anything I think the flagship should be a quick tanker + electronics mast. Maybe throw on 2 cruise missile tubes and some CIWS and it could be as cheap as 50k.

The Sevastopol starts at 150k and having that extra cash on hand is a great way to get 2 independent strike groups running around at the start.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I finally figure out the logic in this glitch Im experiencing. I dont know if its working as intended but its hugely annoying.

1. When I try to repair a ship, it will show damaged components such as full, missiles, and legs.

2. I dock said ship in town, and it says "repair". Money is gone, and time is spent in town to let repairs finish completely.

3. The minute that same ship enters combat, it shows the same damage on the same modules before repairs. When docking the ship it shows the same components having damage

4. In new town I cannot click repair, even if it shows a wrench icon flashing on the docked ship.

Now heres some other things

A. The repair slider seems focused on replacement, not repair. Empty missile and bomb racks get restocked.

B. The repair slider only "replaces" destroyed hull parts. If your leg is damaged but not blown up, the repair slider does nothing.

C. To actually repair damaged components you have to hunt them down on your ship and right click them. Since there could be multiple items stacking in a hullform, this means you have to hunt for small damaged components in a possibly huge construct.

This means my Sevastopol has permanent engine damage despite docking and repairing. To repair any single ship I have to painstakingly righ click over every inch of the ship making sure I tag every damaged item, and not double click it taking it off the repair que.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

All ship parts have a "Durability" which degrades over time as it takes damage. Ship parts appearing yellow/red in the ship editor are not doing so due to damage, but due to their low durability. When a part's durability is low, replacing it is the only option - you can't just repair the same part over and over.

Repairing never repairs durability, it restores HP to those parts, but they keep the same durability

It sounds like what you're seeing here is that some parts have lowered durability and look 'broken' (they're red/orange/yellow) but they're not actually broken, they're fully functional - they just have low HP because of the low durability. Replacing them with new store bought parts would give you full durability, which the repair slider seems to do only if the parts are straight up blown up, removed, or completely run out of durability.

Manually remove all red (/orange/yellow) parts from your ship before clicking the repair button, this will make the repair button replace them with new ones which should fix all of your problems. The affected parts flash yellow/orange/red on the shipyard screen so they're pretty easy to find. Yes, you may need to remove other parts to get to them if they are internals - and those other parts get replaced as part of repairing as well.

I think "Repair Parts" (which let you self repair) might repair durability passively over time? I'm not sure on that, but I've noticed that when I have lots of repair parts my ships are always in good condition on their own.

So parts basically have 2 hp pools? One for real time combat and repairs (HP), and a second pool (durablity) that acts like a long time non-replenishble damage meter?

So I can have a part at 100% HP but only 4% durablity and it may break the next time I enter combat? Jesus gently caress I may edit durablity to be infite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

SGs and tactical squadrons use Fleet HQ cities as their place to refuel and repair, so as long as a Fleet HQ exists, those fleets will hang out near it. Capturing the Fleet HQ stops from them using it.

This is kind of a mixed bag because it forces them closer together since more of them now share a different Fleet HQ, but there's a story event anyway that recalls all surviving Fleet HQs to Khiva.

A "Dangerous" city that doesn't have an active Fleet HQ can be very hard for those fleets to reach.

I think on a map with no surviving Fleet HQs, the outer cities may be completely safe regardless of their danger status once all the strike groups are in Khiva. Or you can just kill the strike/tactical groups.

400 IQ thinking.

Step 1. Take fleet HQ

Step 2: hide in the desert with the big boys.

3. Have a small strike team make a nearby town go dangerous and attract an SG