Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
2021 Fantasy Board Game Goon Draft

Time for the annual goon board game draft. Big gave me his graces to take over running this and we're going to change it up slightly to make it spicy and infuse new picks this year.

Draft List
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...d=0&single=true

What are the rules?

Each round, each participant will choose 1 game to add to their fantasy board game collection draft. This year, every category will have a theme/rule that you must follow. No repeat picks, even if the game fits multiple categories.

Pick order will rotate, so 1st pick in round 1 will be last pick in round 2, and the second person will start round 2. You'll always go in the same order, but each round will start with the next person so every participant gets a first pick and a last pick (I'll post a list each round for ease of following).

Any rules disputes or questions just post here or ping me in Discord and I'll give a ruling. It should all be straightforward.

Please join the Discord to make it easier for folks to ping you when you're up https://discord.gg/WHtWFpFu and try to be timely with your picks. I know we have folks all over the world, but we should be able to wrap this up in ~2 weeks. If you don't post within 24 hours I'll make a random pick for you and we'll continue on.

Categories

1 Features Minis Prominently
2 Card Only (no tokens, player boards, etc. Score sheet is acceptable)
3 No Cards
4 Out of top 2000 on BGG
5 Dexterity
6 Train Game (no 18XX)
7 Anime art
8 "Classic" - pre-1980
9 Designed by a woman
10 Knizia Game
11 Games Under $15 (Common price, source if you can, no "I got a deal")
12 Free Pick

Signups:

Post below if you want a slot (there are 12) and if we have more interest than that I'll randomize it for slots and starting pick order. We'll lock signups and post the list at 3 est July 15th (~24 hours from now).

Participants

1 djfooboo
2 Magnetic North
3 silvergoose
4 Jedit
5 DogCop
6 Dancer
7 Chill la Chill
8 MizuZero
9 Street Horrrsing
10 El Fideo
11 Redundant
12 Breadnought

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
PUT ME IN COACH

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I would like you all to laugh at my bad draft picks.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I’m in!

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

May my picks be judged as harshly as I judged others picks last year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Let's go. I'm in, if there's room.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’ll play :mrgw:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I want in on this one!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Sure, why the gently caress not, let's let all the goons laugh at my light-leaning gaming group.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Sure, why the gently caress not, let's let all the goons laugh at my light-leaning gaming group.

No, we laugh at the mid weight junk!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want in as the Good Taste Haver

:getin:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I want in to hate draft Chill's picks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sign me up!

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

GrandpaPants posted:

I want in to hate draft Chill's picks.

That's my job !!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm in, but won't be mad if I don't get one of the slots.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Come at me goons.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This sounds a hoot, I’m in :fingerpistols:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edit: Actually imma sit out, soz!

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 15, 2021

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Yeah sounds fun

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'll be in if there's a slot.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
If there's space count me in.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I will not be participating this year, but I look forward to the fun to be had. Here are some of the funnies of years past.

T-Bone posted:

:siren: Reports from Shadow's consensus bunker :siren:

https://tinyurl.com/y4j28h3s

T-Bone posted:

Hey so I jumped the gun a bit and posted the draft results in reddit. I really wanted to hear their thoughts: https://tinyurl.com/yyypprr7

Tekopo posted:

Also I found footage of an exclusive interview with t-bone explaining his draft choices.

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyway, it seems like donko and CJ continue to hate draft my picks:

The meta is what the meta is, but Clearclaw isn’t in the draft so it’s fair game.

Gutter Owl posted:

boo

booooooooooooo

cheeeaaaateeeeer

pick a game you'd actually play at siiiiiiiix

booooooooooooo

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

It's such a boardgamer trait to see a set of rules and immediately go, "okay but this technically doesn't break any rules."

DogCop posted:

Countdown to

Chill la Chill posted:

Me, desperately looking through my notes as all the good 6P games are taken one by one

There's only one choice left

Chill la Chill posted:

Round 1 Pick 13

MegaMegaMegaMEGA CIVILIZATION

Large. Huge. Absolute unit. This game runs my house.

Six? Try Eighteen. This game should count for 3x this round and it's well worth the effort to assemble this many people in a crowded room in the Before Times. As the BGG entry helpfully states, this game is an 18-player Royal Rumble in the Iron Age.

Heavy box capable of killing a small child ✔️
Can hold all your other games inside ✔️
Mediterranean euro theme ✔️
Trading & 4x? ✔️
Tracks, but not too many tracks? ✔️
Has historical baps *

*Additional purchase necessary

Dancer posted:

Galaxy Trucker

DogCop posted:

Round 6 Pick 6
Crokinole

It's a sport, actually

silvergoose posted:

Pseudoscorpion posted:

:siren: WARNING: COP-OUT SELECTION APPROACHING :siren:

Round 7 Pick 10
Batman Love Letter

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm pretty happy with how my selection turned out.

Hey, wait a minute...

Zombicide
El Grande
Northern Pacific
Dungeon Lords
Outfoxed

Ra
Over Hill and Under Hill
Consulting Detective
Kingdomino
San Juan

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Doctor Spaceman is forever banned for that heinous act

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I will not be participating this year, but I look forward to the fun to be had. Here are some of the funnies of years past.

incredible post, thank you for that :3:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gave newcomers x2 slots on randomizer, here's the list and first round pick order:

1 djfooboo
2 Magnetic North
3 silvergoose
4 Jedit
5 DogCop
6 Dancer
7 Chill la Chill
8 MizuZero
9 Street Horrrsing
10 El Fideo
11 Redundant
12 Breadnought

Your number also corresponds to the round you'll have first pick in, so the order will be the same but in round 2 djfooboo will be last pick, etc.

First round:

Features Minis Prominently

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Draft List - round tracker and pick order
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...d=0&single=true

First round:

djfooboo you're up. Also, please post your pick with this format: "Round # - Game Title"

The top of the OP has the document as well for easy reference.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 15, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

djfooboo you're up. Also, please post your pick with this format: "Round # - Title"

Is that the title of the round, or the title of the game?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Do I get all applicable expansions?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

gave newcomers x2 slots on randomizer, here's the list and first round pick order:

1 djfooboo
2 Magnetic North
3 silvergoose
4 Jedit
5 DogCop
6 Dancer
7 Chill la Chill
8 MizuZero
9 Street Horrrsing
10 El Fideo
11 Redundant
12 Breadnought

Your number also corresponds to the round you'll have first pick in, so the order will be the same but in round 2 djfooboo will be last pick, etc.

First round:

Missed out twice in a row now. The fix is in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Is that the title of the round, or the title of the game?

Game

Aramoro posted:

Missed out twice in a row now. The fix is in.

Ah that sucks. If anyone wants to be cool and give you a spot that’s fine.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Ah that sucks. If anyone wants to be cool and give you a spot that’s fine.

No its cool, everyone is in fair and square. I will just know in my heart my picks would have been better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Do I get all applicable expansions?

Sure. We’ll ere on expansions/add ons leaning to whatever is pick favorable. If it adds minis you can use it for round 1, if it adds cards you don’t have to include it for 3, etc. 18XX all fall under one pick so first come first serve.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 15, 2021

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure. We’ll ere on expansions/add ons leaning to whatever is pick favorable. If it adds minis you can use it for round 1, if it adds cards you don’t have to include it for 3, etc. 18XX all fall under one pick so first come first serve.

Quick somebody develop and kickstart an 18XX with a couple dozen stretch goals for different train minis that can hold the discs! Heck, you can even make the track tiles out of plastic, and don't forget the Gametrayz (tm) to sort it all.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Round #1 - Heroscape

First pick of the draft is a baby's game! Sorry/not sorry. I am imposing a self-limitation that all these games exist in a vacuum and will be the only games I will have access to. I have so many fond memories of Heroscape and it is definitely the first thing I thought of and couldn't get out of my head when the category was miniatures.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Round 1: Features Minis Prominently - Gaslands: Refuelled

The Space Race never ended. Mars has been colonized. Earth has been abandoned. The rebellion was crushed. But who cares about that? It's time for most popular television show in the wasteland! A vehicular blood sport where the ultimate prize is a ticket to Mars!

Gaslands is a template-based car combat game, somewhat similar to X-Wing, but with a push-your-luck element. It uses a "gear' system to simulate speed; faster cars get more actions per turn, but trust me when I say: speed kills. If you push it too hard, you're liable to ruin your car and your chances. Cars are customizable with weapons, upgrades, crew skills and even sponsors, and there are various types of events, some televised for the masses, some just the result of conflict as you try to endure the ruined planet.

The game is everything you love about Mad Max, Death Race, Twisted Metal, all wrapped into one fantastically elegant and thrilling system. What's even better is that the game is really just a sourcebook; no expensive models, no fancy supplies. Sure, people make custom templates and dice, but they are not needed. For cars, you use regular old $1 1/64 scale diecast cars, AKA Hot Wheels/Matchbox. Use them as they are for some cheap fun, or maybe get crafty for some extra entertainment:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Round 1: Features Minis Prominently - Starcraft: The Board Game

Went back and forth on this one, but ended up deciding against the one I played the most and the most stylish one, going instead with the one I wanted to play the most.

Also it's way more minis than uhhh basically anything else I play??? And I can yell build more overlords, or zerg rush or poo poo, how is this not the right pick?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Round 1: Features Minis Prominently

Cthulhu Wars

Almost inevitable, really. The sheer amount of plastic bling in Cthulhu Wars is a wonder to behold. Several times people have said to me that they weren't interested until they saw the giant monster or that they don't normally like DOAM games but there is something so satisfying about plonking down half a pound of extradimensional tentacular evil on the board.

And yet, behind the bling there is a very solid and well balanced game. A couple of the additional factions were missteps, but most of the fixing can be done by replacing a couple of tiles. It's not one of my favourite games just because I spent the money and feel like I have to justify it.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 1:

There is literally only one game on my shelf that has minis and they are of 2 mile tall planet consuming frogs.

I remember first hearing about Cosmic Frog from an episode of SVWAG while on the subway and rewinding the podcast as I assumed I had misheard the name of the game over the station announcer. Curious about Jim Felli's previous output I was lucky enough to have a chance to try both Bemused and Zimby Mojo soon after but both felt like overall let-downs. I figured the frog game would be similar and wrote it off.

Fast forward like 2 years and the frogs hit the table. The game is everything you associate with miniatures - high variance, wacky player powers, and brutal combat. However Cosmic Frog does something that glues the mess together in a way that softens feel bad blows and keeps the experience engaging. It takes the turn order system from Preußische Ostbahn by which each player has a set number of actions per round but the order of those actions is completely randomized. This means play could proceed at an even pace or one player could take 5 turns in a row. The effect of this is the entire game becomes about risk management - leaving yourself vulnerable at the end of your turn means there could easily be 10 opportunities for someone to attack you before you can act again. Each round has a tempo that is slowly revealed and you need to adjust your plans on the fly in response.

On top of this the overall pacing is brisk - unlike many minis games each combat takes maybe 10 seconds to resolve and the actions are simple enough that in my experience there's little room for AP.

Plus you really can't say enough good things about the art.

I'm happy to report that the frog game is Good.

DogCop fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 16, 2021

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Round 1: Features Minis Prominently - Mechs vs Minions

This is a very "comfort food" pick for me, personally. I do not think that this game is in any sense revolutionary, but it has just the right amount of tactical depth, with outstanding production values, and can generate some extremely satisfying plays where you stomp and snipe and slaughter a dozen minions in a single turn. It's Just Fun.

Our heroes enter a new chamber, discovering a horde of minions and their master. A silent monster traverses the battlefield, not taking notice of the insignificant creatures below... or so they hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Round 1: Features Minis Prominently - JUMBO CONTAINER

Wait. You can't be serious, you say.

Let's check out the BGG page.

Enhance:

Oftentimes, the words "miniatures" and "tabletop" bring to mind dice rolling and combat mechanics. As we've seen in the previous picks, this usually holds true.

But not all games.

Some games are for refined minds, not to be sullied by mere show of force. Some games are for more calculated players, to be played with poker chips, top hats, and monocles.

Such is the game of Container. A game where you can push miniature boats around and-

Nah, that's boring. You can read about why it's good on BGG. Let's compare Container to other regular household items to show how miniature it is:

Hmmm...

OK yeah seems pretty small. Actually wait,

Yeah it can probably take down Godzilla. It's still a ship, however. And all ships have one weakness: icebergs, big or small.