Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

for Round 1: Majorly Miniatures, I’m picking up Rising Sun.

I acknowledge that it’s a CMON Kickstarter, with all of the baggage that brings. It’s wildly overproduced. The heavy-pledge Kickstarter exclusives are nearly necessities given how much more they add to the game. It’s an incredible pain to get back in the boxes. The Wikipedia god snafu.

Nevertheless, it’s a remarkably asymmetric Dudes on a Map with a low rules overhead that plays well at six. Decisions feel consequential. Even though blind bidding makes my palms sweat, I enjoy every combat I participate in (except, perhaps, being on the receiving end of multiple bully blowout mop-ups). Almost every important mechanic, from allegiances to tiebreaking to engine-building, feels pared down just enough to be simple to understand while maintaining depth.

Three other factors informed my pick:

- I playtested this game, and feel responsible for the Lotus Clan having the shittiest starting board position.

- I’ve never owned it. I played most of my games with my friend’s almost full-pledge (he didn’t get the coins, instead opting to obtain inexpensive ornamental metal coins and cute lacquer bowls in chinatown) copy, complete with vinyl map board and fully-painted oni.

Enjoying a well-designed, opulent experience without having gauche boxes thicc with minis take up inordinate amounts of space on the games shelf? That’s a gamer win, in my books.

- my avatar

edit: miniaturizing images of miniatures

panko fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
timg tag those fake wikipedia monsters please :v:

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Hey in the interest of keeping the pace up, I'll make my selection now and edit in more of an effort post.

My choice is, drumroll...
Eclipse second edition

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Round 1: Features Minis Prominently - Dogs of War

Honestly I’d feel a lot less confident picking this if Container hadn’t already gone, but here we are. Hats of War- sorry, Dogs of War by Paolo Mori, is one of CMON’s unloved orphan games. No followup kickstarters with a medieval theme for this one. Maybe some day it’ll get a reprint if we’re lucky. For now we just have to be thankful for what was.

It’s...a weird little game. Sort of a worker placement, almost area control, I guess you could call it a stocks game? What it is, is a balancing of incentives, trying to make sure your opponents’ short term goals line up with your long term intentions. Every decision has knock-on effects farther down the line, every match-up means so much.

And minis? Oh what beautiful minis! These miniatures have what so many minis games don’t, a little savoir loving faire

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5693447/dogs-war

Some of them are so...prominently featured they impact the readability of the board.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4785751/dogs-war

It’s an exercise in decadent overproduction, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've been trying to find a complete edition for sale that's not stupidly expensive. Really cool game. The WWII 2p version of the design Blitzkrieg! is also great.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

I've been trying to find a complete edition for sale that's not stupidly expensive. Really cool game. The WWII 2p version of the design Blitzkrieg! is also great.

Yeah, I might treat myself to the KS exclusive busts before they become truly unattainable, but I'm extremely satisfied with what I have, and I can proxy the cards for their powers just fine.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Round 1: Blood Bowl

Who needs war when you have sports? It's a fine line at the best of times and it only gets finer when orcs are punching elves in the face and goblins are taking a chainsaw to anybody foolish enough to stand nearby.

I have gone back and forth on this pick but, just like in real life, I find myself constantly coming back to Blood Bowl. It has a lot of the things that tickle the right parts of my brain. A simple to understand win condition that also allows for a variety of approaches to achieve that goal, a huge amount of variety in teams that seem deliberately unbalanced to allow vets to play against new players without having to awkwardly pull their punches throughout, an ability to watch you team and players develop and grow letting heroes rise and a tactically interesting approach to both building your team between games as well as the turn by turn actions during each game.

This pick is at least partly due to the fact that Blood Bowl is the only board game I have played in any sort of prolonged, competitive tournament which was a really interesting experience where I met a lot of interesting people.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Round 1: Sol: Last Days of a Star

The sun is dying, so lets throw our ships into the sun and use the explosions propel our arks away from the inevitable supernova! Beautifully designed with chunky ship minis, the game is straightforward and moves at a quick clip, but variable power setups play with the pace of each game, and shared player infrastructure allows for some devious moves around snatching away ownership bonuses.

BGG

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Round 1 Recap

Features Minis Prominently

djfooboo Heroscape
Magnetic North Gaslands: Refulled
silvergoose Starcraft: The Board Game
Jedit Cthulhu Wars
DogCop Cosmic Frog
Dancer Mechs Vs Minions
Chill la Chill Container
MizuZero Rising Sun
Street Horrrsing Eclipse Second Edition
El Fideo Dogs of War
Redundant Blood Bowl
Breadnought Sol: Last Days of a Star

Round 2: Card Only - no tokens (even score), player boards, etc. All game components are cards. Score sheet is acceptable.

Pick order:

Magnetic North
silvergoose
Jedit
DogCop
Dancer
Chill la Chill
MizuZero
Street Horrrsing
El Fideo
Redundant
Breadnought
djfooboo

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 17, 2021

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Round 2: Cards Only - Tichu

I proposed to my wife by hiding the engagement ring in a Tichu box. There's a bunch of other games I could have chosen, but...it's still sentimental for me.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Games that no one picked round 1 somehow:
-Chaos in the Old World
-Argent: the Consortium
-Space Hulk
-War of the Ring
-Twilight Imperium

An argument could've also been made for Mage Knight, the first board game to feature Clix-style minis iirc.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Agreed, it's cool nobody picked bad games like Mage Knight.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gutter Owl posted:

-Chaos in the Old World
-Space Hulk
-War of the Ring
-Twilight Imperium

An argument could've also been made for Mage Knight, the first board game to feature Clix-style minis iirc.

Perverse avoidance of Matagot games, too.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Perverse avoidance of Matagot games, too.

This is due to cyberbullying in the discord.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shocked no one took Spirit Island round 1.

Good picks though, solid start.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

-Chaos in the Old World
-Space Hulk
-War of the Ring
-Twilight Imperium

I almost decided to find your post and quote it in its entirety, yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Shocked no one took Spirit Island round 1.

Good picks though, solid start.

There are minis in Spirit Island? I thought it was all meeples.

Anyway:

Round 2: Cards Only

Valley of the Kings

I would have said either Magic: the Gathering or Dominion for this, but they use counters heavily. So instead I'll go for the best deckbuilder ever to fit in a coat pocket. You buy cards from a steadily collapsing pyramid, and stash as many of them as you can for points before the pyramid empties and ends the game. The more powerful a card is the more points it is worth, but it's worthless until you stash it and thereby lose its powers. It's a simple and well balanced concept, and it makes your decks dynamic rather than building towards a single set strategy. Although Dominion has greater variety, overall I think I slightly prefer VOTK for its dynamism and its more portable nature.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

There are minis in Spirit Island? I thought it was all meeples.

all of the colonizer pieces are white plastic minis. Very thematic in that sense.

VotK is a top pick though, nice one.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 2: SticheIn / Stick 'Em 

The Estates gets all the buzz as the game you can win with negative points but SticheIn has been doing it since '93.

It's a trick taker with simple scoring: each card you win is worth one point. However, each round all players also name a "pain suit" and any cards they win of that suit are worth negative face value. 

Congrats, that hand you just won is worth -19 points. Enjoy.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Jedit posted:

Round 2: Cards Only

Valley of the Kings

God drat it

DogCop posted:

Round 2: SticheIn / Stick 'Em 

God DAMMIT!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Fideo posted:

God drat it

God DAMMIT!

Oh, hush your yak - if I'm not mistaken I get last pick in the Dexterity round. There's only one good dexterity game and it will be picked first.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Round 2: Card Only - High Society

What's the point of being extremely rich if other people can't see how extremely rich you are? The answer to what ails you is conspicious consumption. Buy fancy clothes, enjoy lavish vacations, show others just how good you have it. Be careful though, spend too much and you rish being cast out of... High Society.

High Society is a fairly simple auction game from the legendary good doctor, Reiner Knizia. (Good thing there isn't a Knizia round later :sweatdrop:) Cards with values 1-10 value or a special effect are drawn, and each player bids in turn order, with only the winner actually spending the money. The end of the game is random so you need to be vigilant and be prepared to be ahead.

It has several clever twists. First, each player has an amount of money in the form of differently valued cards. This adds a wrinkle in that once you play that 8, you can't pick it back up during an auction. If you want to bid 12 but don't have a 4, you have to play that 6 instead or simply give up. It makes the math entertainly annoying without getting annoying to calculate since it's all just simple addition. Near the start of the game, it's easy but later on it becomes painful as your choices dwindle. (Insert Reaping-Sowing tweet here.) Another wrinkle is that there are negative cards that you don't want. Players are bidding to not take them, so large amounts of money can evaporate very quickly if no one wants to take it. Of course, the greatest part is what we mentioned earlier; if you spent the most money, you cannot win, no matter how many points you have.

This game is terrific. You're bluffing to make cards more expensive for your friends, getting stuck paying out the nose because you can't accept a certain bad card, and trying to hide the fact that you only have $7 left. The recent Osprey Games production is gorgeous. It plays very quickly, and is a wonderful filler-type game. The most important thing is that I will never, ever win this game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Round 2: Mafia/Werewolves

The game that includes all other social deduction games. It is unfortunate that it is usually coupled with player elimination but a) that isn't even always a thing due to the wide variety of roles and set-ups and b) by the time you die, you are usually invested in the outcome of the story and watching it unfold is quite exciting. As our own sizable and long-lasting Mafia community on the forums demonstrates, a good set up can lead to both incredibly satisfying plays in tense situations, and also just fun moments.

Only very few of the many mafia roles in existence

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Mafia is an incredibly clever pick for a card round.

Thinking along those lines, Santorini would have been a sweet pick for the mini round. Not that it was lacking with picks like Heroscape and Gaslands. Very entertaining thus far!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Thinking along those lines, Santorini would have been a sweet pick for the mini round. Not that it was lacking with picks like Heroscape and Gaslands. Very entertaining thus far!

Santorini was close second for me 😅

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Mafia is unique in that it could also technically be picked for the round of games which have no cards at all.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Round 2, Cards only: Gudetama

Egg

Smashmouth play the egg

Welcome to Gudetama's egg rear end emporium

In this chick-taking game, you consume all sorts of eggs. Egg rear end, avocado egg, softboiled...

But, you don't want to be too full and be left with too much egg. That's exactly what you don't want and it's not an exaggeration.

There's even some excellent powers for the biggest and smallest eggs in this game that are the equivalent of trying to shoot the moon or egging your opponents into playing their strongest cards. Some push your luck element with that last one as you generally don't want to be farming for high-point cards.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

For Round 2: OnlyCards, I’m taking Cockroach Poker. I concede that Cards Against Humanity is a controversial choice, but - oh, you called my bluff. Here, give it back.

There’s no shortage of good bluffing games with small rules overhead, but I like Cockroach Poker the best. Teaching a table and observing as players get comfortable within the rules and begin to independently discover the tried-and-true plays – the no-look pass, the 100% truthful kibbutz, the full-table conspiracy – has yet to lose its novelty to me. Its succinctness and size make it an ideal bar game.

Plus, the art is uglycute, frogs especially. I’m especially endeared by the absolute unit in the bottom right here:

(photo credit: @twooffthetop on BGG)

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

For Round 2: Only Card it would have to be Dominion. I know some of the expansions add coins and counters etc but I could be constricted to playing the base game + intrigue and I'd still pick Dominion. It wasn't the first game I really got into but it holds a special place in my heart and is probably the game I have played the most in my life. Dominion.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Round 2: Cards Only - Bohnanza

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I have spent a lot of this morning working from home cursing the name of whoever decided to put basically superfluous scoring tokens into all of my favourite card games, I'm not bitter though because...

Round 2: Arboretum

I'm always a big fan of seemingly simple games that bely hidden depths. Arboretum is not only a great example of this but it is also a game that on the surface seems like a friendly and laid back game about planting some trees to make things pretty but deep in the heart of the woods it hides a thorny knot of brambles for inexperienced ramblers to get caught up on. In a game about building an individual and undisturbed tableau of lovely trees I wasn't expected to be able to act like a mobster performing a shakedown, but hey, that sure is a nice path of maples you've got there... it'd be a real shame if something bad were to happen to it.

The scoring system meaning that you're balancing set collection, hand management and denying your opponents what they need means that even the loveliest of tableaus might score 0 points which makes for a tense game where sometimes it can be tricky to see the forest for the trees, let alone the ambush waiting for you in the foliage.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 19, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I would like to guess the rule for the themes: Zendo is ineligible before the final round.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I would like to guess the rule for the themes: Zendo is ineligible before the final round.

It's also ineligible in the final round. No reason, just because.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Round 2 - Cards Only: Regicide

Fresh off the presses, Regicide is a cooperative card game that can be played with a standard deck of playing cards. Each turn you play a card to attack your enemy, the dreaded Face Cards! The value of your card determines your attack power, while the suit determines your special ability - hearts "heal" the discard pile back into your draw deck, diamonds allow you to draw more cards, clubs double your damage, and spades shield against the enemy's attacks.

What seems like a simple exercise in card play quickly becomes some agonizing decision making, as your hand of cards seems either woefully insufficient or entirely too powerful (why waste that 10 of Clubs on a jack with one health left?) - add to that enemies' immunity to their own suit, animal companions (aces) that add their special ability to another card, and the ability to combo pairs/triples/quadruples adding up to 10 or less merging all of their values and abilities together at once, and you've got yourself a delightfully difficult coop stew.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Since Uwe’s Beans was stolen, I choose The Game: Are you ready to play The Game? with the updated non grimdark art by Kwanchai Moriya. You can play other games with The Game: Are you ready to play The Game? such as: The Mind, Beefheads, & No Thanks!

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 20, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Round 3: No Cards - Napoleon's Triumph

Okay I mean I don't want to just pick stuff I picked last time, and I'm mostly aiming not to...but this remains my favorite game in the world, it's unbelievably tense and enjoyable, and I snuck it in last time with the 6p round. This time I can just make the statement that it fits in this round and I'm going first, gently caress it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Y’all are fast and I’m traveling currently!

Round 3 - No Cards

Pick order

silvergoose
Jedit
DogCop
Dancer
Chill la Chill
MizuZero
Street Horrrsing
El Fideo
Redundant
Breadnought
djfooboo
Magnetic North

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Round 3: No Cards

Town Centre

Or as its friends like to call it, Gimme Some Fuckin Cubes LOL: The Game. You are building a city made of cubes. Each round, you draft cubes and place them on your board. If you meet certain conditions, you get more cubes to place. The sets of cubes you create are worth ever increasing numbers of points, so GIMME SOME FUCKIN CUBES LOL. (Just don't make me put cubes in the Outskirts, as that is worth negative points.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 3: Antiquity

Such a classic that Uwe has been stealing ideas from it for 15 years.

There are precious few designs out there where the game hits you just as hard as the other players. The relentless pace of pollution and starvation forces constant growth and competition over the untouched resources in the center of the board. Every decision has reverberating effects on your civilization's tempo. You send a worker out to mine stone. That worker won't be back in time to staff your stables. Without the stables you can't reach that water to fish. Without the fish you can't feed your people. Your perfectly planned polyomino city is ruined by one grave thanks to a misstep 3 rounds ago. Santa Barbara is not pleased.

The pantheon of saints provides a menu of victory conditions which each require deliberate and quite different strategy. Do you go for baby's first saint and pick Maria or do you roll up and start hurling sewage at the other players with Giorgio?

Oh gently caress, that was my last wood.