Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Round 3 - Caylus

kingphilip.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Round 3: Go

No cards here. Heck, as can clearly be seen from this historical image, there isn't even a board and maybe not even any pieces. Maybe the real lesson here is: the real game was inside you all along.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

In Round 3: Cardless, I’m drafting Hansa Teutonica. I’d write an effortpost, but I don’t currently have the actions, and I’m out of office, besides. I’ve got a lot on my plate today.

photo credit: @nhjelmberg on BGG

panko fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 19, 2021

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

You son of a bitch.

If Hansa is taken, then I'll pick Gaia Project

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Card only games that didn't get pulled somehow:
-Falling
-uhhhhhhhhh
-okay like you don't actually need the stupid mats to play Skull it should totally be allowed
-goddamnit Reign of Witches uses quarters, gently caress nevermind

ok this is already a stupid gimmick

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
GO your list of CitOW and Falling currently has you in last place, thanks for trying though. We’ll find a nice parting gift for you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Street Horrrsing posted:

You son of a bitch.

If Hansa is taken, then I'll pick Gaia Project

Going to rule against this one. It has the deck for the solo bot which I would let slide but the turn order thing is a paper card so bye bye Gaia :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gutter Owl posted:

-Falling
-uhhhhhhhhh
-okay like you don't actually need the stupid mats to play Skull it should totally be allowed

I did note Reign as a "technically nah probably not allowed" yeah. Finally learned it recently and it really lived up.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Gutter Owl posted:

-Falling
-uhhhhhhhhh

Old school Uwe has a good number of card only games (bargain hunter, mama Mia), but Bohnanza is probably the best of the bunch.

I like the gimmick.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
american book club should have been picked in the card only round but i'll forgive it due to its limited distribution.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I’m more surprised nobody grabbed Red7.

Round 3: NO CARDS! Game: Ra

Because even if I get first pick on the Knizia round, I’m not risking the wait. It’s too good and too fast an auction game to let anyone else have.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gutter Owl posted:

-Falling
-uhhhhhhhhh

Battle Line Medieval Edition would've been my pick.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

I would argue that "no cards" would implicitly allow the existence of a card but I won't push the issue.

Round 3: no cards uhhh blokus

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Restrictions breed creativity yet again!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

For anyone wondering where >2000 starts:
https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame/page/21

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anime round came early!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Round 3: Azul

Azul is the game I have played the most of in my collection and I'm yet to find a group that doesn't find it satisfying. A really quick and simple teach (if you don't mind scoring for a round or 2) that supports a brain burner of a drafting puzzle that gives you just enough chance to be a real jerk about things if you'd like to. The production value is also very good with players looking forward to it being their turn to do the set up because clacking tiles around in a bag is one of life's simple pleasures. It doesn't rely on it's production though and it is a game I have spent a lot of time playing online during the pandemic because it can also be a pretty laid back and chill game to have a chat whilst playing. The combination of Azul being so pretty and approachable has helped me turn a lot of my less enthusiastic board gaming friends into people who will happily sit down for a ridiculous 3 hour game with me now. It's really good, especially with Joker tiles (which I assume I can count here? Judges?).

Redundant fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 20, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

yeah expansions (that fit in the round's requirements) are legal afaik.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I’m on the road so I can’t effort post, but my Round 3 - No Cards pick is Tigris & Euphrates.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Castles of Burgundy is my no cards pick. It’s my favorite points salad game. I can't really say anything new about this game that has not been already said. I just find it a very pleasant affair with just enough interaction to make it interesting if you are keen enough to notice other people's boardstates.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 20, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Breadnought posted:

I’m on the road so I can’t effort post, but my Round 3 - No Cards pick is Tigris & Euphrates.

All the big Knizias going before the Kniza round

:yeshaha:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Round 3: No Card - Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars

It's the late 1800s and crime is rampant in rainy London. Scotland Yard does what they can, but much is beyond their grasp. Fortunately, there is one man, a genius roused to apply his fantastic powers of deduction only to the most unusual, unexplainable cases. But he is only one man. To aid him, he employs a small army of orphans; quick, clever, scouring the city for information and clues. Indispensible, they are. His Baker Street Irregulars.

The original SHCD is a game from the 80s. If you haven't heard of it, here's the basics: You don't play Holmes, but rather one of the innumerable street urchins in his employ. The basic premise is as such: you get a few paragraphs of fiction, where a character describes the mystery to Holmes. He tasks his irregulars in figuring out the mystery. Then, you take your map of London, a directory of addresses, today's newspaper, and a booklet full of information. If you want go to Scotland Yard, you look them up in the directory, get the special code, and find that in the booklet for your paragraphs of new information. You must use the information to deduce what to do next. You take notes, reason, talk with your partner, make logical leaps, all to attempt to expose more and more information until you get an idea of what happened. Each location you visit should be important, because ostensibly the goal is to try and compete with how quickly Holmes would have figured it out on his own. You might have taken 13 locations, but Holmes did it in 7. There is no shame in being beat by the master, but it lets there be reason to not simply visit everywhere.

In practice, this game plays sort of like a multi-path adventure book, except you can go anywhere at any time, so long as you can think of a reason to go there. The first SHCD is a good game, though I have not played to two later follow-ups (Jack the Ripper and Carlton House) for various reasons. But that original is not the game I've put on this list.

The orignal has some problems. Particularly, every single entry was atomic; there was no 'state' of the game. Therefore, every location had to give you every piece of information that it could ever give you, regardless of context. For instance, if you went to a florist, the game might tell you that a shipment of gloves was stolen last week even though you had no idea that mattered. Even worse, if you go to the right location but for the wrong reason, you get forcibly put back on track, i.e. "We thought the victim was allergic to flowers, but clearly it was the man in the gloves." or whatever.

SHCD: The Baker Street Irregulars is different. Published just last year, it has innovated on the formula. In TBSI, when you get certain clues, it will ask you to mark it down on your sheet. "Circle the letter G" or something. Then, when you go to a location, it may ask you "Do you have a circled letter G? If not, you learn nothing." It is amazing how much this helps the game let you feel like a detective instead of just a reader. This lets you actually find evidence and then use that evidence elsewhere. What a concept! It also means that a half-dozen filthy children cannot simply walk in any important building without first having a very good reason.

The game uses this innovation to great effect. The text can be much more particular about the information it gives you, since it doesn't have to be so generic for those in the cheap seats. But this isn't the only way the writing is improved. The cases are all wonderful; not a dud among them. Also, it felt like most cases were asking us to do something different. Certain cases even have case-specific mechanisms or twists to keep in mind, but they are always easy to follow. I will not say anything else about the cases to avoid spoiling them.

Most importantly, the game is a wonderful, contemplative, exhilarating experience, especially for two. It keeps you alternately feeling extremely clever and wishing you were just a little more clever. Once the case is over, you realize that if you were just a little bit more observant you would have done even better, but that only makes it more satisfying to see how much you did figure out.

This game is also under 2000 on BGG but that's just inertia. This absolutely kicks the crap out of the original, to the point that I think I am permanently spoiled and could never go back. I liked this game so much I actually started reading the Sherlock Holmes stories for the first time after it was done because I needed that fix.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Round 3 Recap

silvergoose Napoleon's Triumph
Jedit Town Centre
DogCop Antiquity
Dancer Caylus
Chill la Chill Go
MizuZero Hansa Teutonica
Street H Blokus
El Fideo Ra
Redundant Azul
Breadnought Tigris & Euphrates
djfooboo Castles of Burgundy
Magnetic N Sherlock Holmes

Round 4 - Outside of the top 2000 on BGG
Families of games are out if any are in the top 2000 (18xx, etc)

Pick order

Jedit
DogCop
Dancer
Chill la Chill
MizuZero
Street Horrrsing
El Fideo
Redundant
Breadnought
djfooboo
Magnetic North
silvergoose

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 20, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Round 4: Games Outside the BGG Top 2000

Where Am I? Alice in a Mad Tea Party
Rank as of 20/7/2021: 10484

In this Japanese social deduction game, players take on a role of one of the characters at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party from Alice in Wonderland. Players take it in turns to lay the table and assign characters to seats until all characters are seated and the crockery runs out. There are two ways to score:

1) Have the most fun at the party, which is achieved by arranging for your character to sit at the place setting with the most crockery. Saucers are worth 1 point of fun, cups and plates are worth 2, the milk and sugar bowl are worth 1 point for each cup at their setting and the teapot is worth 2 for each cup. At the end of the round, the character who is having the most fun is awarded the most stamps (which are the scoring tokens for the game). But beware! if two place settings are tied for the amount of fun they are worth, the characters in those seats score nothing because having exactly the same amount of fun as someone else is no fun at all.

2) Guess who the other players are. Instead of adding crockery to the table or seating a character, you can post someone a letter saying who you think they are. If you turn out to be correct at the end of the round, then you get to steal stamps from them. So while it is tempting to put your character at the seat with all the best crockery, if you do everyone will guess your identity for the round and all your gains will be lost.

This game is both brilliant and beautiful. The cards and character pawns use the classic Tenniel illustrations, and the crockery is real dollhouse china which helps to suck people in on theme. Not that that seems to be necessary, as the strategy of laying the table and seating the characters so as to score points for yourself without giving away who you are is perfectly gauged. I have never encountered anyone who didn't like this game, even people who don't normally like hidden role games. The only reason it's as low ranked as it is is because it's been released only as a limited edition that sold out at Spiel 2019 and a Kickstarter edition that is the only way other Westerners have had to obtain it. If you ever get the chance to try it, jump.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 4: Fresh Fish

This is a bit of a weird one. It's half tile layer and half auction game where the goal is to create the shortest connection between your pieces and their destination spots on the board through strategic blocking.

Getting the rules correct is a small challenge because when Plenary Games was bringing the original German release over to the US for distribution Richard Breese (of Keyflower) mistranslated the rules. In doing so he actually managed to stumble into a more interesting auction system that adds a lot to the game. The documentation on this setup is pretty poor and you'll probably have to spend a minute reading through the BGG forums to piece it together.

There was a subsequent release in 2014 with the rules as intended by Friedemann Friese which plays well by itself but you can still go and play with the hosed up rules for expert mode.

If you can manage to figure the game out you're in for a treat. It's quick, mean, and features a very clever and unique networking system. Certified fresh.

DogCop fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 21, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

All the big Knizias going before the Kniza round

:yeshaha:

Disappointed noone picked Crokinole before the Dexterity round

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Round 4: Tulip Bubble

Low-key one of the games in my collection which has been best satisfying both serious gamers and casual ones, while both sober and intoxicated. It is an enjoyable little game of brinksmanship, with gorgeous art.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Round 4: Nokosu Dice

No tricks here. Good game, good art, good dice. Classic wooden components that all proper games should be made from, no plastic. Sub-2000 by the grace of it being a JP design and having to be imported.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Chill la Chill posted:

Round 4: Nokosu Dice

No tricks here. Good game, good art, good dice. Classic wooden components that all proper games should be made from, no plastic. Sub-2000 by the grace of it being a JP design and having to be imported.

nods in appreciation

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

For Round 4: Sub-2000, I'm choosing Quo Vadis?, sitting at #2,266 on BGG as of this post.

In Quo Vadis?, players are Roman politicians attempting to accrue political power by moving through a series of subcommittees with the end goal of securing a seat in the Senate. In order to do so, they will need to support the ambitions of their rivals, in the hopes of in turn procuring support for their own goals. Quid pro quo drives the entire game - the lack of cards or other hidden information means that the negotiation is more abstract and tends to be more fast-paced than in other titles of its ilk. In my experience, it usually plays five in under an hour.

I was initially surprised to see this title so low on the BGG charts, but it makes sense - originally released in 1991, other, more dynamic and arguably less dry-looking and more aesthetically-pleasing negotiation games have been released in the thirty years since. (I have soft spots for Lifeboats and Spartacus: Blood and Sand.) I think it's the lack of gotcha elements that keep me coming back to this one, but some might see that as a downside - I've definitely been shunned out of contention prematurely because I'm the one that introduced the game to the table. Still, at less than an hour, I'm not too put out when that happens.

Plus, how could I resist sniping another Knizia before the dedicated round? :getin:

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Round Four: Push Fight

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/54221/push-fight

Sitting at #6100 is Push Fight, which is a shame. The guy who made those bjj grappling dummies that the gracies use also made a board game. It's Brazilian jiu jitsu in board game form, where you're frantically trying to isolate a piece of your opponent, and then push it off the board. I highly recommend it

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Round 4: Sub-2000 Game Crash Octopus at 6,413

Because what collection is complete with only one dex game? This thing arrived only a few days ago, and I'm quite taken with it. It's like a trick-shot machine, a small box full of nautical-themed mini-golf, with just enough interaction so that you have a chance to stop a runaway leader.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Round 4: The Cave
There's no picture this time because I left my camera back in the tent.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Round 4: Rank >2000 - Scape Goat

Coming in at Rank 5185, Scape Goat is a really good social deduction game with really ugly art.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Breadnought posted:

really ugly art.

what the hell

who wants Breadnoughts spot

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Round 4: Rank >2000 - Exceed Fighting System
BGG Rank 2529 for the system as a whole

While this game is not as good as its big brother it does afford a fun midweight experience of back and forth. There are now like 50 bajillion fighters, but if you battle within seasons the matchups are pretty good. Street Fighter is my favorite season so far, but shovel knight looks very promising. Just ignore Season 1 though, for crotch shot reasons...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Round 4: Outside of the top 2000 on BGG - VOLT: Robot Battle Arena

Competitive robot fighting has come a long way. It started simple, but now it's big time sport. Once the corps took notice, the money started rolling in, and with it, so much more attention and acclaim. If you can operate a robot better than the other hopefuls, fame and fortune await you. It's not about the technology; it's about the mind. You have to out-think your opponents, or your dreams will end up in the scrap heap. How will you fare in the Robot Battle Area?

Rank at time of writing: 3747. The re-implementation just called Volt is 4259. (I have not played the re-implementation.)

Volt is a simultaneous-action-selection robot-fighting programming game, with shades of blind-bidding similar to Revolution!. It's an early game from designer Emerson Matsuuchi who would later become famous for Spectre Ops and the Century series. In Volt, users will simultaneously set 3 dice onto their robot's control board. An image of the control board can be found here. The dice determine what your robot will do in what order. The dice are Red (first), White (second) and Blue (third). You can set the dice to move your robot in any of the cardinal directions, or you can set dice to shoot in any of the 8 directions. The only restriction is you can only place at most two dice on movement, and each space can only have one die on it.

Here's the kicker: these dice are never rolled. You select whatever value you like. When you select a value for movement, you move that many spaces. When you select a value for shooting, each value disrupts the target's sensor's in particular ways, such as spinning them around to face a different direction, which moves the target's dice around their control board and causes havok. Why wouldn't you just choose 6s all the time? The dice are resolved with low values first. So, if you want to move 5 spaces, you might be a sitting duck by someone who already had you in their sights. You can shoot very quickly with a 1, but that comes with a downside in that it doesn't disrupt any systems.

This is a wonderful, simple programming game that you could play with anyone. I don't play with many kids, but this is one game I have played with a patient and precocious nine-year-old, so I can imagine it'd work well for a family setting. With no deck or dice rolling, there is no randomness except the chaotic grey stuff between your friends' ears. If you can out-think your opponents, you will be at a huge advantage. Of course, even if you plan perfectly, there is still that chance that an opponent will get shot, spin around, drive into you and push you a few spaces, which means you now must helplessly watch your robot plummet into a pit. It's great fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jumped the gun one more pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

SHCD was a suave pick for the no card round.

So many unique games have been chosen thus far. Bottom Liner blows me out of the water as a facilitator.