Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

It was definitely foolhardy to think Santiago had even a slight chance of making it to 12th pick in this round.

Were this draft being read by laypeople, I'd choose The Landlord's Game by Elizabeth Magie, but given the subforum where this event is taking place, I think it safe to assume that everyone knows the torrid history of how this beautifully-designed lesson in Georgism was stolen by Charles Darrow and repackaged into the most commercial board game in existence. Lucky for me, because I'd feel like I spent a pick proselytizing with a game that isn't really that fun.

So for Round 9: Men are Ameritrash, I'm following Chill's horseplay with another Inka (& Markus) Brand selection, La Boca.

This wife-and-husband duo of designers have a prolific and eclectic oeuvre of titles, and I'm a fan of their midweight euros and their Exit series of escape rooms in a box, but the game of theirs that I get the most use out of is La Boca. A lightweight cooperative real-time pattern-builder with light rules overhead, the game manages to distill the frantic attempts to communicate visual information verbally of something like Ugg-Tect or Captain Sonar into a title that's significantly more accessible to the casually interested while remaining fun and competitive for seasoned gamers.

(photo credit: @jedijawa74 on BGG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And that's end of the round, no?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
No Rachel Simmons? I know silvergoose grabbed NT earlier, but Guns of Gettysburg and Bonaparte at Marengo are still right there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gutterdaughter posted:

No Rachel Simmons? I know silvergoose grabbed NT earlier, but Guns of Gettysburg and Bonaparte at Marengo are still right there.

I took gog last draft too, but I'll be honest I considered taking it here and going for the trifecta in the free pick round.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BL, would it be possible to get a list of all the Knizia games that have already been picked?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

High Society
Ra
T&E
Stephenson's Rocket
Winner's Circle

I think that's all

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Round 10: The Doctor

Game: Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, a Reiner Knizia game

An IP game I've only ever gotten to play through the no-IP app, this a really wicked take on an asymmetric Stratego, with art by the great John Howe.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Happy to support women designers who enjoy making good animal-themed games :hmmyes:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
This has been a really tough one. The Knizia game I have played the most is a little bit too similar to one of my other picks, the one I own is a solid game but probably not draft worthy so I'm going with the game I want to own (that hasn't already been picked).

Round 10: Yellow & Yangtze

The fact that Y&Y is played using hexes and T&E uses squares seems very appropriate considering that by all accounts Y&Y is a lot like T&E with the edges smoothed out a bit, whether you think that is for better or worse seems like a fairly constant source of debate. Time for me to build a pagoda so I can hide from the amazing Knizia picks I had to leave on the table... This was a rougher round than I expected considering how easy it is to pick an amazing game.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Round 10: Dr. Knizia (or DK for short) - Modern Art

This one wins the award for most auctions, and has a bunch of different (and excellent) versions - my personal copy is the Dicetree edition with metal coins, a chunky gavel, and a nice little folding stand, and the Oink version is cute and pocketable.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The 'Kniz has made some bangers, but his best is probably Yo! Marvel Heroes

Round 10: Dr. Knizia - The Quest for El Dorado I knew I needed a race game in my collection, and I'm so glad it was this one. Infinite replayibility, easy access, deckbuilding as a mechanic. Love it. Now to get my grubby hands on the version with human sized cards in it...

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

A couple of board game friends bought us the Lautapellit edition as a wedding gift, it's a shame that's not the universally available version. There will probably be a restock on their website whenever they publish the next expansion.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Round 10: The Good Doctor Round- Lost Cities

They're out there. The remnants of past civilizations, lost to time. Atlantis? Maybe. El Dorado? Possibly. Xanadu? That's a place where nobody dared to go. As the modern world takes shape, it's time to embark on expeditions to seek out what can be found, hidden in the wide wild world. These operations are costly to undertake, so you're going to need to be confident, and perhaps a little lucky. Sure, you could close a few deals to arrange for help, but that trek better pan out. Are you intrepid enough to find the Lost Cities?

Lost Cities is a two player only card-driven set-collection game. You have 7 cards in hand, and the cards have 5 colors with numbers 1 through 10. Each turn, you put one card down, and get another to replace it. Putting a card in front of you means you're adding it to your expedition in that color. The restrictions are that cards must be played in numerical order. Each expedition is worth the sum of the values minus 20 points, but if you don't play any cards, you never launched that journey so it costs you nothing. The other option on your turn is to discard the card to the center, where your opponent will have the opportunity to draw it if they want it more than you. When you draw, you can pick up from the center or from a common draw deck.

I played this for the first time during the pandemic through Board Game Area. I could immediately tell why this game is a classic. Yes, it's simple and lightweight and luck-based, but I had a great time with it. My friend and I would sit their and groan about how badly the white expedition has screwed us this round, or how are just furious that they deigned to pick up that card we thought was safe to discard, or how we started the red expedition without realizing that our opponent had the 8 9 and 10 already. Sitting there with a hand full of cards you don't want, waiting for you opponent to play cards of a greater value or trying to draw the 6 or 7 before playing the 8 is an interesting sort of 'chicken' style gameplay.

Really, the key that makes this game spicy are the handshake cards. Before playing any other cards, you can launch an expedition with a deal that doubles its value. That doubling is positive or negative, and there are 3 handshakes in each color. So, if you end up extremely behind after a round or two, you can go for broke on a huge trek worth 4 or 8 times as much and hope to make up lost ground.

I heard this game described as 'glorified Racko". I had already played Racko when I heard that, which I honestly felt was fine for 70 years ago, but that comparison did not fill me with confidence. Don't believe their lies. Lost Cities is worth your time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Relationship Tightr

No, I'm not taking what is possibly his worst game, both in gameplay and in tastefulness.

Traumfabrik

Hollywood Blockbuster is one those games no one thinks of playing, but every time it's a very good experience. Good, solid auction euro.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ROUND 10: Another Math Puzzle From Dr Reiner K

Blue Lagoon

Knizia has a very broad pool, but it's also incredibly shallow. About 85% of his games are reskins of previous games, and 90% of the remainder are still just limp number puzzles. I'm giving Blue Lagoon the nod because it isn't utter shite, which puts it in the top 2%.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, top 2% of games is correct.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 10: Blue Moon , you saw me standing alone

Our good doctor Knizia is known for putting his own twist on ideas and mechanics that have entered the hobby over the years. Oftentimes this happens 5 or even 10 years after the original inspiration, like in the case of Quest for El Dorado as a response to Dominion.

For Aquire we got Stephenson's Rocket
For Stratego we got Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
For legacy games we got My City
and for MTG, we got Blue Moon

In many cases his take on an idea ends up exceeding the inspiration. This is certainly true with Blue Moon. How? By turning it into the best kind of game: an auction game.

There's plenty of spiels you can read online about what makes this game great, from the grip of pushing your luck on a 6 card hand or just exploring each of the prebuilt decks that drip feed new mechanics and play styles. Really though if you at all enjoy CCG/LCG systems you owe it to yourself to try this one.

DogCop fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 3, 2021

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Through the Desert

I will admit to not getting the hype around Reiner Knizia. This is the last game of his that I've actually played (though only once), and it was alright I guess. Would've picked Stephenson's Rocket, or LOTR: Confrontation, or High Society, or T&E above this. Alas.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Round 10: Samurai

This game has a lot of game in a tiny package. Provided you make the package and create custom components. The regular box is absurdly huge but I suppose that's fitting for being an imposing game that all other games should fear. Seriously, look at this guy in the corner. They know something. They know they're in a good game.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 3, 2021

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

For Round 10: Knizia & Tidy, I’m going to scum a little bit and choose Lost Cities: Rivals.

Vanilla Lost Cities has already been drafted, but in my opinion Rivals is better. It’s also a different enough game that I don’t feel too unclean for having chosen it. The bidding (a mechanic the doctor excels at designing around) adds a lot to the tempo-forward set collection of the original, and somewhat ironically transforms a tight two-player experience into a relatively brief but highly competitive four-player title.

Plus, you can easily proxy out a miniature copy of Vanilla Lost Cities using Rivals by removing a few cards, so that’s a considerable value-add :getin:

Picture unrelated, I just enjoy it.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I'll go with the Quest for El Dorado: The Golden Temples

It's a standalone game, and to be honest, I wish I owned it over the base game. It has more player interaction, the table footprint is smaller, and I think cards in the market are slightly better as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not legal as the original was already picked (all expansions and families of game systems fall under 1 pick)

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

schotten totten 2

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

For this round the rule is that it can't be a discount/sale price and has to be the normal price it's listed on a site (amazon, CSI, gamenerdz, etc). It doesn't have to be <15 MSRP, just don't want any picks that are big discounted finds of games that don't usually cost <$15.

Not "i found the game under 15" but "the game is always under 15". No PnP, no used prices. Stick to the spirit!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 3, 2021

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Going earlier is more stressful than going later, at least then I had an excuse for my terrible picks. There are too many really good choices but I'm going to go with...

Round 10: The Crew: The Quest for Planet 9

I don't have a trick taking game or a cooperative game so let's kill 2 birds with one stone. I really appreciate games that put a twist on something familiar and trick taking as a cooperative system is wonderful. Quick games that are plenty varied to begin with spiced up even more with a variety of new twists and restrictions as you progress are also wonderful. The first time I broke it out the plan was to play a few games to get a feel for it, we ended up playing for a couple of hours and worked through a bunch of the "story", a great filler that can also take over an evening because let's just try one more hand, we've got it this time for sure.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Round 10: Under $15 - Patchwork: Americana Edition

Patchwork loving rules, and this version is cheaper than regular Patchwork. It doesn't come with a cookie cutter like the Christmas Edition, but it's a boring cookie cutter so you're not missing out on much.

Available on Bezos Prime for $14.95.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Resistance or R:Avalon can be had for less than 15 on the reg. So much fun in a tight package.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Round 10: Cheap As Chips Round- Codenames Duet

13.99 from Bezos.

Smiert spionam. Death to spies. Your spy agency has operatives all over the world, and your team needs to make contact and quickly. Secrecy is everything, and opposing agencies can hear everything you say. Coded language is key. Can you convey their identities to your team without giving too much away? Be careful, or else you'll walk your team directly into the hands of an assassin, and it will all be over. Can you come up with the best Codenames?

Codenames is a game for about 4-8 players where two competing spy agencies are trying to get their teams to guess a set of words among a grid of 25. Two players play the spymaster and are trying to each get their team to pick the correct words for their own side. This is done with word association. For instance, to get my team to guess Eight and Sail, I might say "Pirate: 2" I was thinking of pieces of eight and setting sail. However, if there was "Software" on the board, they may pick that by mistake. If that happens, it might simply be a bystander who ends our turn, it might be a agent for the other team, or it might even be the assassin, which causes your team to instantly lose! The spymasters take turns making such guesses until one team has revealed or their agents, or one team accidentally hits the assassin.

Of course, this is just a description of the original Codenames. I picked Codenames Duet.

Let me say that Codenames is literally my favorite game ever at this point. I have played it dozens and dozens of times. It is so unbelievably clever and classic that I can't believe it was not somehow discovered in the '60s. Though perhaps I am not so ravenously hungry to play this game as I was 5-6 years ago, I still feel like I could probably play Codenames forever. So, please understand the gravity when I say: Codenames Duet is even better than regular Codenames.

Codenames Duet is a two player game, though you could play it with more in 'teams'. The biggest change is it is cooperative, not competitive. There are 15 green agents among the 25 words, but it's more complicated than that. Each key is two sided, and players sit across from each other to only see one side of the key. When you make a guess, only your partner's side matters. You can pick something that is an assassin on your side, so long as it's not one on their side. The key is encoded in such a way that each player only knows 9 of the agents, three of which are shared. There are also three assassins per side, include one shared assassin and one assassin that is an agent on you're partner's side of the key. You're playing against the clock, and only have (by default) nine clues to find all the agents. Players do not have to alternate if someone has two clues in a row, but once someone gives two clues, the other must offer a clue. You cannot discuss the information on your side of the key except to tell your partner if they have gotten all of your agents. The restriction of number of guesses is not present in this game, so you can always make up for lost time. If you run out of time, it's not over; it's sudden death. No more talking, just start touching agents and hope it's right.

This takes what can sometimes be called a 'party game' and turns it into a collaborative exercise in creativity. It is so satisfying to try and reason your way through with a willing partner without the competitive element. It allows your word choice to be even more expressive, since you can avoid giving your opponents hits by proxy. It eliminates the downtime almost entirely, since your time is always spent finding the next clue, so it feels so much snappier. The enforced teamwork is great because it means that one player can't just give all the clues, or give clues until at least their nine is done. There is always that moment of picking one of the three cards on your side that is an assassin, because it's a chance to be the end of the game if your clues are weak.

Also, it serves as an enormous expansion pack for Codenames, as the agent cards are fully compatible with both.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

What does everyone like?

Roll and move!

The only good mechanic of boardgame ever made.

Round 10: Thrifty Targeted Deals - Backgammon easily findable in some form for under $15. Also easily findable for hundreds of dollars, because fancy!

The doubling cube, honestly, is one of the most interesting ways to poke an opponent in the chest short of the Kitchen Debates card in twilight struggle.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This round might end up being one of the best uniform high quality lists second only to Knizia. Now, disappoint me greatly...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

As I'm UK-based I don't deal with dollar prices, and the market is different over here. Can I request a minor exemption to use Euro or GBP instead of USD?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

As I'm UK-based I don't deal with dollar prices, and the market is different over here. Can I request a minor exemption to use Euro or GBP instead of USD?

Yeah of course.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

*sigh*

I just checked and the game that cost me €15 brand new two years ago now costs €20. Can I count it, or will I need to pick an alternative?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Post it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Round 11: Don't Pay For Play

King Thief Minister

I feel like I'm leaning heavily on the social deduction this time out, but this is one I am really happy to own. It's the Iranian take on Faidutti's Mascarade, but more tactical and scaled to work well with fewer players. The big difference over Mascarade is that at the start of the game nobody knows their own role. This removes the need to force swaps in the opening moves. And as there is no penalty for a false claim, only for making a challenge against someone who was truthful, you can begin lying immediately to fish for information. Although you must be careful with that; every piece of information you glean indirectly can also be picked up on by the other players.

The game starts with five coins per player in the bank, and ends when the bank is empty. Each player has three coins and one of six roles, all of which are always in the game regardless of player count. They then look at one role card other than their own.

On your turn you can do one of three things: pay to look at your card; move every card one space to the left or right or swapped with the card opposite; or claim a role and perform its action. The King can take three coins from the bank; if he does then he must also call for his Minister, who can take one. The Minister's own role is to swap any two cards in the game, either openly or secretly. The Thief takes one coin from the players sat next to him. The Executioner can choose a player and name their role; the player checks, and if they are correct the Executioner takes all their coins. The Sheriff forces every other player to pay 1 coin to the bank as tax, then chooses a player to pay his tax for him. Lastly, there is the Peasant. The Peasant can attempt to name the role of every other player in the game. If they fail then they must pay 2 coins to the bank, but if they succeed then they take every coin remaining in the bank - which of course ends the game on the spot, and will generally also win the game.

KTM is one of the first really interesting properties from an emerging new market. Unlike previous releases that were essentially bootleg editions of Western games, it takes the basics and applies local flavour to them. It encouraged me to look deeper into the games coming out of the region, as well, which is always a positive. Overall, not bad for €15.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 11: For Sale

It's one of the greatest of all time filler games and you can buy it right now for $12.99

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

oh, that's a lovely pick.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Breadnought posted:

Round 10: Under $15 - Patchwork: Americana Edition

Is there any differences in game play, other than the theme it's skinned around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

DogCop posted:

Round 11: For Sale

It's one of the greatest of all time filler games and you can buy it right now for $12.99

I still want a car themed version of this gem.