Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Infinitum posted:

Is there any differences in game play, other than the theme it's skinned around?

Nope same game. The Halloween one is getting some tile balancing to 14 tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

djfooboo posted:

I still want a car themed version of this gem.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/318709/sale-autorama

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:dance:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It comes with the advisors expansion and money tokens too. Looks like it'll be hitting shelves soon so I'm going to track down a copy.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Cheap Thrills: Welcome (back) to the Dungeon

This original Oink design takes Skull and adds a goofy layer on top. It is quite easy to teach (if a bit harder than skull), and allows for some rather creative ways to bluff & push your luck. All players take turns making the dungeon harder (and gaining glimpses of information about what monsters are in it), until all but one prove too cowardly to continue. It fits in a small box, and the art is wonderful.

Lesser known bonus: You can take your pick between the slightly less complex Welcome to the Dungeon!, or the more challenging "alternate set" Welcome Back to the Dungeon! to adjust to your group.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 6, 2021

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Value pick: 飛行船都市 or Airship City

You might think it's a fluke but this nifty big box game has been sitting below $15 for at least half a year. A cute action selection game with a sliding puzzle to move the areas around over time. It might be a dreaded MWE, but if I'm going to play one, I'd at least like it to have cute as heck art

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dancer posted:

Lesser known bonus: You can take your pick between the slightly less complex Welcome to the Dungeon!, or the more challenging "alternate set" Welcome Back to the Dungeon! to adjust to your group.

Looks like the import version Dungeon of Mandom VIII has both sets!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Value pick: 飛行船都市 or Airship City

You might think it's a fluke but this nifty big box game has been sitting below $15 for at least half a year.

I hate to have to dispute your pick when I've had to ask for the rules to bend on my own behalf in this round, but according to Boardgameatlas Airship City is at least $22 everywhere except for two Amazon storefronts (out of four that stock it). This seems to go directly against BL's stated rule of "no lucky discounts". BL, can you please rule?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's been available for $15 or less for much of the year so it's fair

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
drat CMON is really taking a wash with that one. Hopefully it doesn't dissuade them from importing other games.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

b?t of a qu?ckpost here because ?’m away but for Round 11: Less than F?fteen, ?’m selecting Letter Jam.

Here’s a few places where the game ?s reta?l?ng for less than f?fteen Canadian Dollars.

? wanted both a co-op and a word game to further round out my draft, and Letter Jam happens to be both. Not only ?s the game fun, ?t also boasts ?mpress?ve production values between the subtly embossed cards and the letter ch?ps (helpfully colour-coded for easy sort?ng).

(?mage credit @henk.rolleman on BGG)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that post just made me hate the game :golfclap:

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I'm going to go with alexander pfister's oh my goods

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

It's been available for $15 or less for much of the year so it's fair

Fair enough. But it's just these two vendors that have had it in the bargain bin, and that did seem to go against your stated intent of "regular price, no lucky bargains".

And I'm right there with whoever said it's a shame. I have the original edition of Airship City and it's a nice little game - a bit like Yokohama or Istanbul, but instead of blocking other players you move the places they're trying to get to. I was happy when it got a western edition.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Street Horrrsing posted:

I'm going to go with alexander pfister's oh my goods

I don't know what it is about his tableau building, I hated this game a lot and dislike the way he did it in bhk and Maracaibo, though I didn't mind the rest of those two.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Might need to get airship city though, that sounds rad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Might need to get airship city though, that sounds rad.

If they're selling it for 15 bucks you absolutely should.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Round 10: Under $15

Game: Red7

A vastly clever little card game of just trying not to lose, while changing the rules to make sure that you can stay afloat just a little longer. It's like good Fluxx.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Final Round - Free Pick

Bad memes encouraged

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 7, 2021

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

FREE PICK - THE GREAT ZIMBABWE

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

R1: Heroscape
R2: The Game
R3: Castles of Burgundy
R4: Exceed Fighting System
R5: Pitchcar
R6: Mexican Train Dominos
R7: Tanto Coure
R8: Dune
R9: Arkham Horror LCG

Looks like I have a coop hole to fill. Too easy Round 10: Spirit Island. This game has so much breadth and depth I can't ever see tiring of it.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Honestly, with that taken I'll go for one of the other great Vlaada's. I don't think I can accept a draft with zero of his games in it, for perhaps obvious reasons.

Dungeon Petz

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ROUND 12: Won't You Flyyyy-yyyy, Free Board

Fast Sloths

There were a whole heap of other games that i considered picking ahead of Fast Sloths, and I expect several of them will be picked. The reason I went with FS is because I've found it's a game I can put in front of almost anyone. It's light enough for the casual gamer, has enough planning to satisfy the serious gamer. It lacks the chrome that turns some people off what used to be called Ameritrash, while being interactive enough to deflect the usual criticisms of Euros. It also falls into the category of "classic mechanics, unusual use of theme" that I like because it gets people interested. As Symphony No. 9 is an area control game where the area is Beethoven, Fast Sloths is a pick up and deliver game where the delivery is you.

I'm afraid I don't have any bad memes, and of course there aren't any good ones.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 12: Food Chain Magnate

While it pains me to leave the draft without a proper 18xx I can't resist the call of a second Splotter.

FCM was my second-order gateway game that introduced me to my love of deep economic games and made me seek out a dedicated group of hobbyists to play with who I now consider to be close friends. After dozens of plays I'll still never turn it down.

Very tired after a long day of games, will make meme tomorrow.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Mechs vs Minions
Mafia
Caylus
Tuli[p Bubble
Galaxy Trucker
Brass Birmingham
Hanamikoji
Chess
Dual Gauge
Through the Desert
Welcome to the Dungeon.

The only politics present anywhere in my game is Mafia, and I need something that will fulfill that need at a lower player count. So let's go with Pax Pamir which gives us politics with unbelievable style:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

(image credit: @Yeoster on BGG)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

mea culpa for neglecting to explicitly estate my pick…

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Free Pick: Concordia

After I read the rulebook and played a dummy round of concordia, I thought to myself, This is it, this is the successor to Catan. The moment to moment gameplay could not be more simple, and yet the game is brimming with strategic possibilities and considerations. I would unreservedly recommend this game to anyone.

I was wrong, so wrong on that front. There are absolutely people who can not understand concordia. But it's a fine game, and I'm always down to play it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Street Horrrsing posted:

Free Pick: Concordia

So glad this got picked. It was going to be my pick for this round, but I changed to TtA at the last second for various reasons.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

It's the FINAL DRAFT ROUND!

Deedle Dee Dee

Deedle-eet Dee Dee

Game: Zendo

gently caress your memes, this game is excellent. Able to be played with just about anybody, and a true brain-burner.

Get the newest version. I know people like the pyramids, but the Buddhist imagery in the original is appropriative and wanky.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:yeshaha: which also means I can repost this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

El Fideo posted:

It's the FINAL DRAFT ROUND!

Deedle Dee Dee

Deedle-eet Dee Dee

Game: Zendo

gently caress your memes, this game is excellent. Able to be played with just about anybody, and a true brain-burner.

Get the newest version. I know people like the pyramids, but the Buddhist imagery in the original is appropriative and wanky.

Banned

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I would have picked Zendo first round and no one could have stopped me.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Should I buy Zendo?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Llyranor posted:

Should I buy Zendo?

No. Also do not borrow it, steal it, play it, gaze upon it (lest ye go blind), touch it, or acknowledge its existence.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Llyranor posted:

Should I buy Zendo?

Yes, Zendo is good.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Round 12: Gloomhaven
How could I not?

Do I get expandalones as well? If I can sweep up Jaws of the Lion at the same time then all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm a little surprised that nobody picked AFFO. It was on my list of "someone will take it"s.