Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LeninVS posted:

I beat the ultimate weapon MSQ today. Marking the end of 2.0 I assume.

I am super overwhelmed by all the stuff that just unlocked. It feels like 100 bluequests showed up letting me unlock hard modes and new dungeons and new trials.

Should I be working on this stuff, or focusing on MSQ to get to the first expansion?

Almost all of it is truly optional (the main exception is the crystal tower raid series, which isn't part of the MSQ proper but is mandatory). However, I've seen it over and over that people try to speedrun to heavensward ad rush through and just burn out. I think you'll probably have a better time if you take your time and do the ones that sound interesting. Most of them will be optional level 50 dungeons. Here's the optional dungeons that I remember being impressed by when they first came out:

lost city of amdapor
hullbreaker isle
tam-tara deepcroft (hard)
sastasha (hard)

(Don't be scared by the word "hard", they're just higher level dungeons with heavy asset reuse.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

onesixtwo posted:

I haven’t seen a group kill the skeletons on the stairs since 2013. It’s not a matter of, return is easier, moreso that is how everybody auto-pilots the dungeon.

I've done it recently, but only because I was doing the dungeon with a couple sprouts, and one of them grabbed the skeletons before they saw me jump over the railing.

It's easy to imagine the game where they follow more along the design principles of that dungeon (lots of optional rooms and packs of enemies, keys to gather, going back to a hub after beating each boss), but I'm glad they didn't. Once you know it like the back of your hand, it isn't any different from doing it linearly, so all that extra complication doesn't actually add anything to it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

LeninVS posted:

I am super overwhelmed by all the stuff that just unlocked. It feels like 100 bluequests showed up letting me unlock hard modes and new dungeons and new trials.

Should I be working on this stuff, or focusing on MSQ to get to the first expansion?

Do whatever you like. A lot of the stuff unlocked by blue quests is fun, but only a few questlines are required.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LeninVS posted:

"The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen" in Ul'dah. It's a completely optional storyline, but it's some of the best quest and story experience in the game.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

cheetah7071 posted:

Almost all of it is truly optional (the main exception is the crystal tower raid series, which isn't part of the MSQ proper but is mandatory). However, I've seen it over and over that people try to speedrun to heavensward ad rush through and just burn out. I think you'll probably have a better time if you take your time and do the ones that sound interesting. Most of them will be optional level 50 dungeons. Here's the optional dungeons that I remember being impressed by when they first came out:

lost city of amdapor
hullbreaker isle
tam-tara deepcroft (hard)
sastasha (hard)

(Don't be scared by the word "hard", they're just higher level dungeons with heavy asset reuse.)

Wanderer's Palace, Amdapor Keep, and Pharos Sirius are the other brand new ones, and I think they're all worth doing. The rest of the hard modes are hit or miss, but mostly skippable in the interest of time.

There are a few things that won't be doable the normal way, just to be aware: Extreme and Minstrel's Ballad trials are a special level of difficulty that aren't in roulettes so aren't run regularly, and are meant to be tackled as a high-end challenge with a pre-made group. You may also unlock the Coils of Bahamut raids, but unlike later raid series, they don't appear in roulettes and nobody queues to do them synced. You'll either have to form or join an 8-man party to do them (if you want to experience the fights) or recruit a couple max level characters to run you through it (if you just want to experience the story, which I highly highly recommend).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

pharos sirius has some of the best music in the game

edit: hard mode might be better

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 17, 2021

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

do people queue for the duty finder for hardmode level 50 dungeons?
or should I be searching in the party finder?

after fiddling around in the main quests, I have enough poetics to buy a ironworks ilvl 130? weapon and a couple pieces of jewelry.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LeninVS posted:

after fiddling around in the main quests, I have enough poetics to buy a ironworks ilvl 130? weapon and a couple pieces of jewelry.

People queue for 50/60/70 roulette, which will send them your way. It may be a little bit of a wait, but nothing worse than a normal DPS queue time.

Also, definitely pick up the ironworks weapon first, it makes the biggest difference. And keep saving up poetics after that, they're the universal leveling tomestones, you get to use them again at levels 60 and 70.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LeninVS posted:

"hard mode" dungeons are just regular dungeons. They're not difficult content. "Hard" is a huge misnomer. It just means it's a higher level dungeon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aside from a tiny handful of exceptions in ARR* you're good to duty finder queue for any content that doesn't have "Extreme" or "Savage" in the name, and roulettes will bring people to you. When clearing out optional stuff at the end of an expansion I like to unlock everything so I can queue for 5 things at once for as long as possible and increase the odds of something popping quickly.

*Specifically these exceptions are the "Binding Coils of Bahamut" raids and "Urth's Font" trial. They are harder and thus don't show up in ordinary roulettes.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I think folks have covered the "what to do that unlocked after 2.0" question pretty well. Absolutely go at your own pace with it; that said, now that you've completed 2.0, there's a few new daily roulettes you've unlocked or will very soon:

Main Story Duty Roulette (MSQDR) - this only includes the two 8 man cutscene-heavy dungeons that you cleared to finish 2.0. The rewards on this are extreme (tons of Tomestones of Poetics for gear purchases, lots of exp), but as you probably noted when you did them the first time, there are a lot of cutscenes that can't be skipped. Consider doing it if you want a chunk of EXP or Poetics and have some time to kill.

Trials Duty Roulette (TDR) - this will unlock when you've cleared some of the hard mode trials at level 50 and includes only those 8-man fights. Rewards aren't huge but generally speaking these are fairly fast fights to clear.

50/60/70 Duty Roulette (567DR)- you've probably noticed that there's a ton of level 50 dungeons you can now unlock. This roulette includes those dungeons, and later the level 60 and 70 equivalents from Heavensward and Stormblood; these are mutually exclusive to the dungeons you've had access to below level 50 via leveling duty roulette. Some of these will be mandatory for MSQ as you go along; there's a large number that are optional. EXP is not great but you get a decent chunk of Poetics.

Alliance Duty Roulette (ADR) - this will unlock when you've completed several parts of the Crystal Tower 24-man raid series. ADR only includes 24-man raids. Due to these runs needing a disproportionately large number of DPS jobs needed, it's actually one of the faster queuing roulettes for leveling DPS jobs past 50.

Due to the fact that they're no longer needed for gearing purposes, a lot of folks skip the optional level 50 dungeons. This is entirely reasonable, but a lot of them have some very cool design and encounters to them. I like to suggest folks go unlock them as convenient, then to break up the MSQ quest grind, queue for 567DR now and then; it'll route you into those dungeons so you can see them as you go along.

Also, if you are on a paid version of the game, you've now got access to unlock the Stormblood level 50 jobs (Samurai, Red Mage). Feel free to check those out if you're interested.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
I just did the "oh god there's 400 blue quests" thing a week ago, and yeah everyone covered it pretty well. I'll add that I did the first two extreme trials (garuda and titan) and both of them had a surprisingly short queue, I think because there's a billion other sprouts right now.

Also bug some goons to unsync drag you through binding coils, its fun, the music is great, the visuals rule, and it is kinda important story-wise but not required so you really should do it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Please list all the ways to get an obese chocobo, any color, any color at all, just give me an obese chocobo

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yellow fat chocobo is upgrading to the collector's edition of A Realm Reborn. White fat choco is a legacy promotion that isn't available. Black fat chocobo is available right now via a special promotion on Twitch.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

SuperKlaus posted:

Please list all the ways to get an obese chocobo, any color, any color at all, just give me an obese chocobo

$$. black from gifting subs during an event running now (can't be anonymous, they must be streaming ff14 at the time) or buy the A Realm Reborn collectors edition on the mogstation for yellow.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SuperKlaus posted:

- Gift Twitch channel subscriptions in the Twitch campaign thing for a Fat Black Chocobo.
- Upgrade to ARR Collector's Edition for 20 of your local buck-equivalent for a regular Fat Chocobo.
- Get 3000 duty commendations for a Parade Chocobo
- Travel back in time to 2016 and participate in a (US-only, I think?) Amazon campaign for a white Original Fat Chocobo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SuperKlaus posted:

Regular Fat Chocobo: Buy the collector's edition of A Realm Reborn.
Black Fat Chocobo: Various promotional events, including the twitch one going on right now.
Original Fat Chocobo: Past promotional events, no longer available, may be again in the future.
Parade Chocobo: Get 3000 player commendations. This is the only one available by doing things in the game itself, and is the ultimate reward for getting player commendations.

So either start being nice in duties or open up your wallet :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the (Hard) tag just means you're going back to the locale at a higher level, time has passed and the mobs and bosses are all different. It's still a regular-difficulty dungeon! just time-progressed and revamped.

a good example is Sastasha (Hard). original Sastasha is level 15, but the "hard" version is level 50, and full of horrible cthulhu monster that have possessed the pirates that used to be there!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

For all you new players afraid of healing: don't be. I wouldn't do it for so long (80 RDM, NIN and 75 MCH) but then the friendly free company chat have me the push to give it a try. I'm now level 30 CNJ, about to unlock WHM and I think I am at like 1/3 of the commendations I got up to this point. Play some guildhests if you worry about groups until you feel comfortable and you can always run Sastasha a few times to get your feel down for it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah healing is pretty easy. As people say, healers are expected to do substantial DPS as well as healing, but the flip side of that is that the healing requirement in a battle is much less than the healing you can output so if you're new and aren't sure what you're doing there's a lot of slack and room for mistakes

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mage_Boy posted:

For all you new players afraid of healing: don't be. I wouldn't do it for so long (80 RDM, NIN and 75 MCH) but then the friendly free company chat have me the push to give it a try. I'm now level 30 CNJ, about to unlock WHM and I think I am at like 1/3 of the commendations I got up to this point. Play some guildhests if you worry about groups until you feel comfortable and you can always run Sastasha a few times to get your feel down for it.

This goes for any role/job type, to be honest. Tankxiety and healing are the bigger sticking points for folks because they're afraid they're going to cause wipes and piss everyone off, but the onramp for pretty much any role/job is pretty shallow especially if you hit up POTD or a low level dungeon rather than immediately plow into the highest level content available. Just ask for company the first few runs so you're not possibly getting some impatient rando in your group, and take your time with it.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I do understand tankxiety, having to lead the party or raid forward and generally being more visible. Healing anxiety goes away real quick once you see just how drat good at healing healers are. In most regular content you can get away with exclusively using ogcd heals.

Unless you're the sole healer in a DR run where a pair of rank 25+relic guys die a half dozen times per boss yes I may have left them on the ground for most of hot&cold

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I only have tanxiety for stuff I haven't run otherwise yet. Once I've healed or DPSed through something, I feel way more comfortable tanking it just because I know now roughly where to go, where mobs will be, what the major mechanics of each fight is etc.

Weirdly, I don't have that anxiety for healing at all, but it's probably because I always main healers in MMOs, so the actual gameplay doing that is second nature to me.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

Regular Fat Chocobo: Buy the collector's edition of A Realm Reborn.
Black Fat Chocobo: Various promotional events, including the twitch one going on right now.
Original Fat Chocobo: Past promotional events, no longer available, may be again in the future.
Parade Chocobo: Get 3000 player commendations. This is the only one available by doing things in the game itself, and is the ultimate reward for getting player commendations.

So either start being nice in duties or open up your wallet :v:

Thanks to you and all preceding...can I game the dungeon finder somehow to play with my buds without partying up, and any clue if a twitch prime free sub counts as one of the 4 cuz I can knock off a couple that way

I want that bird and I'm mad it's pay locked

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SuperKlaus posted:

Thanks to you and all preceding...can I game the dungeon finder somehow to play with my buds without partying up, and any clue if a twitch prime free sub counts as one of the 4 cuz I can knock off a couple that way

I want that bird and I'm mad it's pay locked

You cannot, if you queue with someone you can't give them a comm.

Which is fun when you do raid or alliance roulette with 6 friends and end up dumping 7 comms onto some random bard :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you could sorta game the queuing system by finagling with the language settings in DF settings to something not commonly used in your datacenter but I'm not sure how much it'd be worth it unless you guys are a full stack

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Or you could queue for something like bahamut coil2

Or just play a healer and hoover up those comms.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah you can just pick a healer or tank to get commends. That's the easiest path to commends.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I wouldn't recommend anyone try to grind out the parade chocobo. You get 1 commend per duty on average if everyone hands them out randomly. Healers and tanks have better odds and dps have worse odds in reality, but it's still a lot of dungeons. The effort involved is roughly running every roulette, every day, for one year. Just play the game and let it happen (or not) in a few years.

Sure, you can grind it out "fast" by doing 100 guildhests a day for a month, or getting your friends to run 300 synchronized queues for Titan (Hard) for you. However, please don't.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this is my first MMO (I don't really count Destiny LOL) and so far I'm enjoying this trial run. I'm assuming the story doesn't get majorly good til much later---there have been legit quests where I was asked "hand out these cookies" to 5 kids less than 5 feet away and I was like, for real lol. I did like the all out brawl at the end of this chapter, hoping there's more giant melees like that---those are my favorite fights.

I just hit level 18 and unlocked the ability to go to other cities---have my lvl 15 Pugilist quest done and all the trials things to get my 30% XP ring, so I'm stoked to see actual dungeon content now and hopefully mounts/partner summons/all that cool poo poo won't be far from me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DLC Inc posted:

this is my first MMO (I don't really count Destiny LOL) and so far I'm enjoying this trial run. I'm assuming the story doesn't get majorly good til much later---there have been legit quests where I was asked "hand out these cookies" to 5 kids less than 5 feet away and I was like, for real lol. I did like the all out brawl at the end of this chapter, hoping there's more giant melees like that---those are my favorite fights.

I just hit level 18 and unlocked the ability to go to other cities---have my lvl 15 Pugilist quest done and all the trials things to get my 30% XP ring, so I'm stoked to see actual dungeon content now and hopefully mounts/partner summons/all that cool poo poo won't be far from me.

Yeah, like it says in the OP, it's very much designed to be your first MMO. The quests early on are almost insultingly basic, but later on (especially in the expansions) they add a lot nice texture to the world. And give you something to do while waiting for DPS queues to pop.

You don't have to do any sidequests once you get those first dungeons out of the way. If you do your daily leveling roulette, which is unlocked once you've done three dungeons, and keep doing the MSQ, that will give you more than enough XP to stay ahead of the level curve all the way to level 80.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm going through each patch to make sure I check out all of the content in the game and I'm almost done with 3.1, but I can't figure out what The Diadem is supposed to be?
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/special/3_1_As_Goes_Light_So_Goes_Darkness/

The wiki says there is an NPC in Ishgard that will send you there, but I can't find him anywhere. Is this content that was removed, or changed in a different patch?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Diadem got killed and turned into a gathering zone.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes, the previous version of the Diadem has been deprecated. You can access the current (gatherers only) form of the Diadem by going to the Firmament.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Ah, well that makes sense. Thanks!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Was anyone around for the original Diadem that could explain what it used to be like? I get that it was a big world PvE zone like Eureka or Bozja but I don't know what actually went on there beyond that and I'm interested.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Chillgamesh posted:

Was anyone around for the original Diadem that could explain what it used to be like? I get that it was a big world PvE zone like Eureka or Bozja but I don't know what actually went on there beyond that and I'm interested.

So imagine if you went in and just fought large monsters that had massive sacks of HP. Occasionally, they might drop a chest. The chest would have a random piece of loot that was randomly itemized.

The end.

That was Diadem version one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

It was proto Eureka. There wasn't much to do except kill mobs for currency and aetherial gear (pink gear with random stats).

The second iteration had slightly more mechanics, including FATEs that were kind of like Bozja skirmishes. There was also a superboss FATE that could drop weapons that were potentially better than Alex Savage weapons.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
That final boss was fun, because it would potentially drop the best weapon in the game. Except, it was randomly awarded to one out of the 72 people in the raid, it was for a random job that the person may not even have unlocked, and the substats were completely random.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there was gathering there too, but because you couldn't zone in as a gatherer, half your duty finder party might switch to fishing instead of helping you fight dinosaurs.

AngusPodgorny fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

thanks for the lore guys

AngusPodgorny posted:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there was gathering there too, but because you couldn't zone in as a gatherer, half your duty finder party might switch to fishing instead of helping you fight dinosaurs.

that owns