Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lol, Raubahn continues to own.

I'm going to say a word to you, and it won't make sense right now, but it will before long. Remember this moment.

Sloppy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

I have two general questions - can anyone give me a two sentence "here's what to do as a brand new DRK?" and "what's the best recommended way to level up an alt class?"

For DRK, as with most tanks, the most critical thing in dungeons is to get in the habit of rotating your cooldowns. You have two "big" mitigation buttons (Shadow Wall and Arm's Length) and a few "small" mitigation buttons (Rampart, Reprisal, Oblation, The Blackest Night). In general, after you finish gathering up however many packs you think you can handle, you use one of your two big mitigation buttons, and then use one of your small buttons to finish up the pack once the first mitigation has run out. A standard set of two big pulls might be something like Shadow Wall -> Rampart for the first pull, and then Arm's Length -> Reprisal for the second one. The Blackest Night is something you can just kinda throw out whenever when pulling large packs, although it'll be a while until you get it.

Note that DRK is a tad squishier than most tanks until level 70, since you just straight up have fewer basic survivability cooldowns until you get TBN, so it's fine to exercise a certain amount of caution and pump the brakes if big pulls are getting too hairy or causing wipes. The tank dying is rarely the outright fault of the tank if you're properly using cooldowns, and it's more likely either healer error (mistargeting someone, not using all their CDs, etc.) or, more frequently, your DPS falling asleep at the wheel and putting out suboptimal DPS, which will cause both you and the healer to run out of CDs and massively increase the DPS you're taking. Keeping an eye on how things are feeling and adjusting your pull rate is all part of being a good dungeon tank.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

After hitting 90 and getting to the end of the MSQ with my BLM I have finally switched to a new class. Now I get to be a shiny new tank (DRK) where everything rests on me to not be awful and boy I feel awful. It's one thing to gently caress up and get hosed as a BLM - in fact I've found alot of groups kind of expect it. But it's scary to gently caress up as a tank. Nobody has been mean or anything - the opposite in fact - and I've announced that I'm new on the two dungeons I've done so far, but boy I am sweating the whole dungeon. Died twice in the 2nd raid from thinking I was just like all the tanks I've played with and wall pulling all the mobs to them. That got me killed a bunch. So I'm going to be a baby I guess until I unlock more mitigation skills I guess.

I have two general questions - can anyone give me a two sentence "here's what to do as a brand new DRK?" and "what's the best recommended way to level up an alt class?" From what I've read it's basically to chain run dungeons and doing hunts. How do you guys handle gear while leveling up an alt?

Levelling roulette is a ton of exp, and after 50 so is alliance raid roulette. Be sure to hit those every day. Other than that, as a tank, spamming the highest level dungeon you've unlocked will be the fastest.

It's ok to take it a bit easy while you're still learning the ropes - pulling 2 packs at a time is perfectly acceptable and not that hard to handle.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One other thing to note when leveling tanks: due to how Physical/Magical Defense work, keeping your gear relatively up to date is vital to not getting absolutely clobbered, especially when you outgrow one dungeon and head into the next. It's fine to skimp a little on your rightside accessories, but try your best to keep your leftside gear up to your current level (unless your current gear has higher PDef/MDef), even if it's just equipment you're buying from a merchant.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

I joined the Flames because of their sick exclusive helmet.

Maelstrom Glamstrong

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I regret joining the serpents. Gridania loving sucks

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its pretty

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

that's true. still kinda boring tho

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

VostokProgram posted:

At least you get all sorts of dick joke potential. (Heh heh. Serpentcarrier.)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VostokProgram posted:

You can swap at some point. You could, if you so desired, swap repeatedly, although they start charging for the privilege after the first. And you can't use any of your Serpent stuff while i na different company.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

girl dick energy posted:

At least you get all sorts of dick joke potential. (Heh heh. Serpentcarrier.)

https://twitter.com/nymo/status/1572008735765303296?s=46&t=HpdWOIeRlfDaY8vAHGfHcw

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ice Fist posted:

After hitting 90 and getting to the end of the MSQ with my BLM I have finally switched to a new class. Now I get to be a shiny new tank (DRK) where everything rests on me to not be awful and boy I feel awful. It's one thing to gently caress up and get hosed as a BLM - in fact I've found alot of groups kind of expect it. But it's scary to gently caress up as a tank. Nobody has been mean or anything - the opposite in fact - and I've announced that I'm new on the two dungeons I've done so far, but boy I am sweating the whole dungeon. Died twice in the 2nd raid from thinking I was just like all the tanks I've played with and wall pulling all the mobs to them. That got me killed a bunch. So I'm going to be a baby I guess until I unlock more mitigation skills I guess.

I have two general questions - can anyone give me a two sentence "here's what to do as a brand new DRK?" and "what's the best recommended way to level up an alt class?" From what I've read it's basically to chain run dungeons and doing hunts. How do you guys handle gear while leveling up an alt?

You can avoid a lot of damage when double pulling if you make sure to hit sprint BEFORE you get aggro from mobs, makes it last twice as long. Also, don't forget about Arms Reach - it's one of your best defensive cooldowns for regular pulls. Don't worry. I'm 3 tanks in and nobody gives a poo poo if you gently caress up and cause a wipe, it happens plenty due to stupid poo poo, lag spikes, the healer wasn't paying attention or misclicked, the tank forgot to put tank stance back on, or a bunch of other reasons. Just cycle your cooldowns, one or two per pull, maybe eat some food for the extra HP, make sure to hit your oGCD AOEs because DRK can really poo poo out AoE damage on mobs, and you'll be just fine. You're more reliant on the healer to keep you up than other tanks but you can also poo poo out AoE damage to make up for it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

For all the time I've spent crowing about cooldown rotations, somehow I never connected the notion that the Slow on Arm's Length is effectively damage mitigation.

To make this not entirely a wasted post, don't forget your stun as well. It can take a big mob out of the fight for 5 seconds if you don't already have a WHM spamming Holy eating up all the stun immunity, which also has utility for interrupting casts that would otherwise break up your AoE mosh pit.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 20, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Warmachine posted:

For all the time I've spent crowing about cooldown rotations, somehow I never connected the notion that the Slow on Arm's Length is effectively damage mitigation.
Yeah. Someone had to just flat-out tell me that that it's actual Slow, as in, the opposite of Haste, not slower movement (that's Heavy) before I actually got why it's good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Warmachine posted:

To make this not entirely a wasted post, don't forget your stun as well. It can take a big mob out of the fight for 5 seconds if you don't already have a WHM spamming Holy eating up all the stun immunity, which also has utility for interrupting casts that would otherwise break up your AoE mosh pit.

I usually combine Arm's Length with Reprisal to get quite a bit of mitigation. Works wonders. Not as long lasting as a normal mitigation ability but very handy.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ice Fist posted:

If you haven't already watch this video on DRK's job actions as you get them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzNMfUAQe0s

Also tanking in 14, for the most part, is far easier than other MMOs. If you can get the hang of a complex job like BLM you can tank in general pretty easily.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mainwaring posted:

If you start in Uldah your first real encounter with Raubahn is at a fancy dinner where you're sat next to him and he keeps droning on about the war from five years ago until your character passes out.

He doesn't just talk about the war. He also drones on about how peace can only be achieved if the monarchy is restored to uncontested power.

His first involvement in the Ul'dah story is to let one of the Sultansworn steal a powerful relic to trade for some jewellery, then send the rest of them in to kill everyone. In the Echo flashback to Cartneneau he has a tantrum, abuses his subordinates, and shouts nonsense like "victory belongs to the bold!" while the competent leaders give him sideeyes and talk him down from more idiocy.

If you start in Gridania the first thing non-flashback thing he does is insult an official envoy. The man is a menace, and given the state of the Flames shouldn't be anywhere near the leadership position he bought.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Also you have the other interrupt for spell casts, Interject. If the castbar is flashing, it's a spell, and your button can stop it. A big ghost in Sirensong, a big crab in Shisui, buffing frogs in Dohn Mheg. I know it's not as cool as the stun kick but please use the button, it's free...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

Also you have the other interrupt for spell casts, Interject. If the castbar is flashing, it's a spell, and your button can stop it. A big ghost in Sirensong, a big crab in Shisui, buffing frogs in Dohn Mheg. I know it's not as cool as the stun kick but please use the button, it's free...
My favorite little stun/interrupt-related gimmicks, I learned during the last mooglestone event. Both of the first two bosses of Aurum Vale are stunnable, which can allow your tank to grab a fruit unmolested, or be :effort: about dodging an AoE, respectively.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

sassassin posted:

He doesn't just talk about the war. He also drones on about how peace can only be achieved if the monarchy is restored to uncontested power.

His first involvement in the Ul'dah story is to let one of the Sultansworn steal a powerful relic to trade for some jewellery, then send the rest of them in to kill everyone. In the Echo flashback to Cartneneau he has a tantrum, abuses his subordinates, and shouts nonsense like "victory belongs to the bold!" while the competent leaders give him sideeyes and talk him down from more idiocy.

If you start in Gridania the first thing non-flashback thing he does is insult an official envoy. The man is a menace, and given the state of the Flames shouldn't be anywhere near the leadership position he bought.

he's never gonna get back to being a whole teledji adeledji again, let it go

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A few days ago I had an FC-mate at 90 haul me through Coils of Bahamut unsynced because she'd never done it either. We wiped a few times because some of the mechanics aren't really suited for two people, but cleared everything anyway.

The very next day I took part in a Novice Network party running through it synced. Surely my previous experience will come in handy? We only got through the first coil, but it was fun.

On the elevator fight, I was the only one not watching the initial cutscene and there's no invincibility bubble, so all the clockwork bugs aggroed on me and I had to kite them around until the tanks got done with the cutscene. Cue Benny Hill theme.

We ran into a solid wall on Twintania. I lost count of how many times we wiped before we cleared (but the timer got down to under half an hour), but I did get a decent grasp of the mechanics and a harrowing glimpse into a potential future of savage progging. Part of the problem is it doesn't have standardized markers so we needed to learn what each one did. The red crosshair is a stack marker, and has some sort of linking effect between the people that stacked and Twintania on its next attack. The green crosshair targets the area under the target for a heavy damage and knockback AoE, so everyone needs to either scatter from it or stack up in a little divot that mostly protects from getting launched into the deathwall. The blue crosshair bubbles the target, they need to be broken out. The small snakes in the add phase explode into vuln stacks when they hit 0.1%, and have no indicator for this except maybe animation. After the add phase (Which is timed, most of the time we cleared the adds and were standing around picking our noses while the vuln stacks expired before Twintania landed again, but we did have one run where we were still fighting snakes when he landed), Twintania starts using Twister, which needs to have everyone move away from where they were by the time the cast bar finishes or else we're all getting hurled into the deathwall.

The Neurolink puddles probably do something, but all we really determined was they do not protect you from divebombs or Twister.

Looking at the wiki page to make sure I got Twister named right, uh, apparently we missed like half the mechanics and still did okay.

sassassin posted:

Excuse me, he "bought" his position with the blood of hundreds in the gladiatorial pits, clearly this means he is perfectly sane and should be in charge of a nation's military. :hist101:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Counterpoint: they say it was the Flame General who slew the mighty dragon. He is a hero amongst heroes. :colbert:

(What the hell are those NPCs talking about, anyway? Something from 1.0? Anything that's ever happened in the game?)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Antivehicular posted:

Counterpoint: they say it was the Flame General who slew the mighty dragon. He is a hero amongst heroes. :colbert:

(What the hell are those NPCs talking about, anyway? Something from 1.0? Anything that's ever happened in the game?)

Bahamut? No one remembers what happened at Cartneneau, and that sort of story probably makes as much sense as any.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

sassassin posted:

monarchy is restored to uncontested power.

Well, tbh, given what the player is shown about Ul'dah at the time, an absolute power monarchy is a huge step up all things considered since the other leaders are mustache twirling villains.

sassassin posted:

If you start in Gridania the first thing non-flashback thing he does is insult an official envoy.

Hahaha I don't remember this at all and I started in Gridania

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I will note that if leveling a combat job is a problem you can just do PVP. Frontlines takes forever but has a roulette; CC is really quick and even if you don't know what you're doing as long as you stay on the crystal you're contributing to your team.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

I will note that if leveling a combat job is a problem you can just do PVP. Frontlines takes forever but has a roulette; CC is really quick and even if you don't know what you're doing as long as you stay on the crystal you're contributing to your team.

It's worth pointing out that for Frontlines at least you can queue as the job you want to get XP on and then switch to whatever you want to play as once you're in the battle proper.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ice Fist posted:

Well, tbh, given what the player is shown about Ul'dah at the time, an absolute power monarchy is a huge step up all things considered since the other leaders are mustache twirling villains.

Yeah, frankly, behead all the Monetarists, including the little prissy one who's like "actually you shouldn't behead the man responsible for burning down five orphanages because you have unpaid parking tickets and you wouldn't want to be called to task for those now would you," hand absolute power to Nanamo and let her do with it as she desires. This may not make things better, but it will certainly become a more interesting story than constantly being reminded how we live in a dystopian hellscape where a small number of assholes that are rich beyond imagining begrudgingly allow the crumbs to fall from their table.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dareon posted:

Yeah, frankly, behead all the Monetarists, including the little prissy one who's like "actually you shouldn't behead the man responsible for burning down five orphanages because you have unpaid parking tickets and you wouldn't want to be called to task for those now would you," hand absolute power to Nanamo and let her do with it as she desires. This may not make things better, but it will certainly become a more interesting story than constantly being reminded how we live in a dystopian hellscape where a small number of assholes that are rich beyond imagining begrudgingly allow the crumbs to fall from their table.

Nanamo desires to hand over resources to Monetarists that don't want her dead (transition to a republic could be bad for business) because they are the most skilled at generating profits. Her arc is about learning to work within the broken system as a "nicer" capitalist, and gain the respect of both the downtrodden masses and rich assholes alike. Pure neoliberal fantasy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dareon posted:

The Neurolink puddles probably do something, but all we really determined was they do not protect you from divebombs or Twister.

when i need to fill out my Tails i'll unsync whatever coils is up over and over - i'm pretty quick at it now - and have convinced myself that you have to stand in one of the puddles to resummon the boss. I've made a little minigame out of it, standing in it as long as possible till he comes in for the swoop.

only thing that regularly pops on Tails thats faster than some of the coils is ultima's bane. even just at lv80 that's a 45 second fight for me

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ul'dah should give all power to Godbert.

Also Godbert should start showing up to Syndicate meetings.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Give all power to Nashu instead. She can solve all of Eorzea's problems with explosions.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Godbert's the one who tells Nanamo that just giving people money will make them lazy and resentful, and that she needs to set up a business to employ them and make a profit instead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Relyssa posted:

Give all power to Nashu instead. She can solve all of Eorzea's problems with explosions.

Explode the Syndicate meeting, yes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Selachian posted:

Godbert's the one who tells Nanamo that just giving people money will make them lazy and resentful, and that she needs to set up a business to employ them and make a profit instead.

He's a job creator. Those refugees should be thankful they get to wear skimpy outfits and send children to the silver mines when dad can't pay.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So, who'd be better at ruling: Nanamo and Raubahn, or Tataru with Estinien as military advisor?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dareon posted:

So, who'd be better at ruling: Nanamo and Raubahn, or Tataru with Estinien as military advisor?

I judge rulers by how well they can humiliate Alphinaud.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wtf is gridania's power structure anyway? Why's magic lady in charge

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Wtf is gridania's power structure anyway? Why's magic lady in charge

There are a bunch of psychotic 'elementals' who run the forest. Magic lady is one of the padjal - people who stop aging once they hit puberty and are somehow intermediaries for interpreting the elementals will.

Why they don't just ask the WoL to clear out their pesky elemental problem is beyond me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Philonius posted:

Why they don't just ask the WoL to clear out their pesky elemental problem is beyond me.

Because the game normally frames colonialism and genocide as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Because the game normally frames colonialism and genocide as bad.

But it frames deicide as :krad: