Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I really like it when I queue into an ARR dungeon with an honest to God baby tank who has no idea what's going on and runs into all the dead-end hallways. It's fun to watch them figure out what to do and freak out a little like they've made a terrible mistake when they accidentally aggro more than one pack lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Baconroll posted:

Just installed for the first time and it seems every single server in both EU data centers is blocking new character creation. So that wasn't a good start.

Is this likely to clear without having to try at 3am or give up ?

For the EU data centers you probably won't have to do the 3AM thing unless you're trying to get on the most populated server on a cluster, just try to do it at off-peak hours

Waffleman_ posted:

Having "Use Return" typed and ready to go in party chat for Haukke Manor.

Pray {Return}

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

LeninVS posted:

I beat the ultimate weapon MSQ today. Marking the end of 2.0 I assume.

I am super overwhelmed by all the stuff that just unlocked. It feels like 100 bluequests showed up letting me unlock hard modes and new dungeons and new trials.

Should I be working on this stuff, or focusing on MSQ to get to the first expansion?

Most of the blue quests are oneshot lv50 optional dungeons or boss fights. However, the lv50 versions of the story bosses you fought in ARR and the full story for the lv50 24-player raids are actually MSQ critical, so you'll have to do them. The quest to start the 24-player raids is called "Legacy of Allag", and it's in Mor Dhona. You don't need to do them now, but it will make you drop everything to go do them later anyway, so I recommend using them to break up 2.1-2.3 because those quests kinda drag a bit.

The 24-player raids are actually really easy and visually exciting, only the final one of the three can be challenging. You need to finish the quest "The Light of Hope" after doing the last raid in order to move on to Heavensward.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Was anyone around for the original Diadem that could explain what it used to be like? I get that it was a big world PvE zone like Eureka or Bozja but I don't know what actually went on there beyond that and I'm interested.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

thanks for the lore guys

AngusPodgorny posted:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there was gathering there too, but because you couldn't zone in as a gatherer, half your duty finder party might switch to fishing instead of helping you fight dinosaurs.

that owns

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bragon posted:

I'm level 10 on trial, and I haven't dipped into crafting guilds at all yet. Do I need more money than I'm picking up from quests? I have about 3k gil total and haven't really found anything to spend it on. In general I'm more interested in leveling up my combat class right now unless I'm going to need the extra money.

You are 100% gonna pick up more gil than you can carry on a trial account, and there's worse ways to spend excess gil than using it to buy mats for crafting.

e: You're gonna have to google around to see where the vendors are that sell the mats you want, but there are 100% NPC vendors that sell basically every major ARR/HW crafting material that doesn't come from a rare gathering node.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 19, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

LeninVS posted:

Im level 50, only completed the first MSQ of ARR. Still working on the quests before the first expansion.
I have a full set of ilvl 130 Augmented Ironwork gear for my main job(warrior).

what should I be doing with my spare tomestone of poetic's? Im going to hit the 2000 cap tomorrow at the rate im playing.
Im also on a trial account, at least for a couple more weeks. So I have no access to the MB.(but I plan on activating next month)

Buy gear for an alt job (you're gonna get way ahead on EXP and people usually level up an alt side-by-side while progressing MSQ), or buy tokens for relic weapons (this will be under Special Arms at the Poetics vendor) such as umbrite, unidentified ore/shell, aether oil, etc.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

where do i buy more of the prisms to rip illusions out of my gear

You can buy Glamour Dispellers from your Grand Company Quartermaster for 200 Company Seals each, or just buy them off the marketboard. You then right click the item you want to return to normal, hit glamour, then remove, which will consume a dispeller

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also, if you dye a piece of gear before sticking it in your glamour dresser, it saves the dye in the dresser and any outfit you make with that piece of gear will retain the color. You can add dye to an outfit without overwriting the original saved color, too.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Looks like 60% to me...is the collector's edition also on a sale because I don't even see a collector's edition on the squeenix web site. My resolve could weaken re: that tubby borb mount, if the price was right...

That's done through mogstation rather than the SE store I think? And it looks like no, seems like the collector's edition upgrade for everything is full price right now - $20 per expansion set/ARR or $80 for all of them.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

To calculate DoT potency you simply divide the duration of the DoT by three and then multiply the result of that by potency. So Doton has a 24 second duration, which divided by three means it will tick eight times for potency 800. However, because this game's engine is fucky, abilities like Doton that are puddles on the ground actually do their damage instantly unlike every other DoT in the game, so you get one extra tick for potency 900 total.

In comparison, Thunder has an 18 second duration, which divided by three means it will tick six times for potency 240, plus 30 potency on impact, meaning potency 270 total.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think I had this same problem and I don't have a loving clue what I did to fix it. I think I just reset my SE store and Mogstation/FFXIV passwords until it worked. Given how lovely everything to do with account management and their store is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a piece of poo poo and takes forever to actually update itself with your new login credentials.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gnoman posted:

What does the power number of abilities even mean, besides "more is better?"

I googled it and got this formula: https://www.akhmorning.com/allagan-studies/how-to-be-a-math-wizard/shadowbringers/functions/#functions

Damage = ⌊ Potency · f(DET) · f(AP) ⌋ / 100 ⌋ / 1000 ⌋

Basically, potency is the number one multiplier determining how strong of a damaging or healing effect you cast, which is multiplied by function of Determination:

f(DET) = ⌊ 130 · ( DET - LevelModLv, Main )/ LevelModLv, DIV + 1000 ⌋

and function of Attack Power:

f(AP) = ⌊ 165 · ( AP - 340 ) / 340 ⌋ + 100

Then divided up a couple times?

e: Different stats come into play for different classes, such as Mind for healers and Tenacity for tanks, but Potency is always the top multiplier of an ability's healing/damaging effect.

Also note that in PvP, potency is just the raw damage/healing number a skill is going to output before any modifiers. So if an attack in pvp says "Potency 2000", it's going to do 2000 damage in a vacuum.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 22, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Begemot posted:

The two main Numbers you want to see Go Up to do more damage or healing are potency and weapon damage. I think one point of weapon damage is worth like 10 points of your main damage stat.

Yeah. Weapon Damage > STR/DEX/MND/INT > secondary stats such as critical hit or determination.

Different classes will want different amounts of secondary stats but increasing weapon damage is your top priority and then more STR/DEX/MND/INT = virtually always better

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Every class should have an MP spender imo. I mean lore wise every job is technically using aether/magic anyway.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

how many things like this have i missed not sure I’ve ever gotten a mount from a random sidequest

It's not quite as cool as the Unicorn but there's a side quest in Mor Dhona that lets you unlock a couple special animations on the mount you get for finishing 2.0.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

When the game first came out, magic potency used to be aligned to elements. You'll sometimes still see references to this in ability tooltips (Moves like Katon or Verfire deal "fire-aspected damage" according to their tooltips). Elemental magic resistance was a stat characters had, and the God you chose as your protector in character creation slightly tilted your base stats, giving you a resistance boon to one element and a bane of weakness to another. All of that has since been stripped from the game, though, and references like what I mentioned are vestigial.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 24, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's obvious to me when an ability can be interrupted but they should probably make it a completely different color, like a flashing electric blue with a little exclamation point or something. I always hear people saying they had no idea an incoming attack was interruptible.

That said I don't think there's any cleaner way for them to communicate "you can cleanse this debuff" than what they already have.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Selachian posted:

I'm also playing a Warrior (yes, I like alts) and I haven't found tanking very hard yet -- the toughest part is knowing where to lead the party in dungeons, and running them once or twice with a non-tank character usually makes that manageable.

If you can overcome the stage fright of being the pointman in the party you've basically jumped the biggest hurdle to tanking. It's very straightforward and never gets more involved than rotating cooldowns for trash packs and learning attack names for bosses so you know when to pop which mitigations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

How do I materia?

When you use gear in combat or while crafting/gathering, you develop "Spiritbond" with it. Once you cap out at 100% you can extract a materia from it. Combat gear will give combat materia, crafting gear will give crafting materia, gathering gear will give gathering materia. You can then meld that materia to your gear yourself if you have the appropriate crafting class leveled. You can confirm the melding requirements on the tooltip of the piece of gear you want to meld materia to. If you don't meet the requirements to do it yourself, there's a materia melder who will meld materia for you for a fee, or you can have a friend with the appropriate class leveled do it for you.

Generally speaking, melding materia is not worth doing until you have gear that you're going to be using for a long time, like when you hit 80 and start getting ilvl520+ stuff.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zurtilik posted:

Is there an actual detailed list of all the changes/trims made to ARR in 5.3? I suffered through the 2.0 part of ARR almost all the way twice so I'm curious how different my 3rd trip will actually be. I should honestly probably just pay time skip through to Heavansward, but I hate myself!

This fanmade comparison is the closest thing, I think? I don't think I ever saw anything more detailed that included trimmed steps that wasn't a collection of giant threads on Reddit that another fan was doing.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Another big "holy poo poo" moment for me was realizing you could right click the top of basically every window in the game and scale its size up or down. No more zooming in all the way and still having to squint at your dude when you're previewing gear, scale that poo poo to 200%!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I purchased the complete package since it was on sale and came with a month of game time and I wanted to be a big cool catboy. I'm trying to get into this game, but it feels really slow to start, like the global cooldown feels kinda bad. I started as archer, but I didn't really enjoy that very much. It seemed like the main mechanic was fishing for procs and the sound/animation didn't feel good to me. I switched to Lancer which feels better because I don't need to wait for things to happen to push buttons. Is there another class that feels faster to play? I'm not expecting there to be a class that kills stuff faster than those two, but if I can be provided the illusion that I'm doing more things I would like that.

It's gonna be painfully slow early on no matter what but if you absolutely positively must Go Fast above all else Pugilist/Monk (unlocks in Ul'dah) needs to hit positionals on every single GCD even at low levels and gets GCD speed increases sooner than the other DPS classes. Once you get to level 50, if you're not liking Monk, you can unlock and switch to Samurai which gets very busy very quickly - it also starts at level 50 and gives you a gear set when you unlock it, but if you were playing Monk then they share gear anyway. You'll have to wait until you reach Heavensward in the MSQ to get it, but Machinist, which starts at level 30, is the only ranged DPS class that doesn't have random procs, and it's also super fast even at low levels because you get its signature mechanic almost immediately. For healers, Astrologian is very busy and my personal favorite class in the game. Like Machinist, it also starts at lv30 and you have to reach Heavensward to unlock it.

Lastly, for tanks, just don't play them if Slow is pissing you off, lol. You can unlock Gunbreaker once you hit level 60 and it starts at level 60, and it's the busiest tank by far, but even at 60 it's way less busy than anything else I listed.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Because it's a Final Fantasy game that is also an MMO. You level up alts with friends by loving around with roulettes, Palace of the Dead, Heaven on High, and Bozja, but your first character you play the story with because it's a Final Fantasy game so of course it's going to have a beefy story.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

That said I can definitely see wanting the chill experience of just dicking around with friends in the field blowing up random crap to level up. Bozja is basically that experience to a tee, but it's also the only place in FFXIV where that experience is delivered ever since ARR, when they made running dungeons more optimal than grinding FATEs for XP. Eureka does this too but it's its own closed loop so it doesn't really count imo.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ouroboros posted:

I don't think I really want an Ultima-esque MMO, I think that's something people like the idea of much more than the reality, though I take your point.

I really do feel like there is an enormous gap in the market right now though, for people that want a WoW style streamlined, accessible MMO that still feels like an MMO, but isn't run by incompetent sex criminals. Just look at how immensely popular WoW was in its heyday, the draw classic had just 2 years ago, and the fact that people are flocking to a game like FF14 from WoW in such numbers that really doesn't appear to cater to the same type of player.

That's more inertia and nostalgia than an indication in a massive difference between the kinds of games WoW and FFXIV are imo. I think you have a strong point that FFXIV doesn't feel social enough while leveling your first job but after you've finished that basically everything combat-related you do ingame, including leveling, involves playing with other people.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FFXI had wayyyyyy more story and cut scenes than WoW did back then. CoP was a banger.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

If I were to enter this PvP Frontline thing for the levels could I AFK and enjoy the XP or would I get banned or something.

You'd be auto-kicked for AFK if you didn't use any actions within a few minutes but yeah throwing in PvP is against ToS obviously so you'd be gambling that nobody would report you for being afk. If you're demonstrably violating the ToS, then the GMs in FFXIV are pretty ruthless about punishing you.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

imo they should give Bloodletter/Rain of Death charges like Gauss Round/Ricochet so you don't waste procs on it as often under Mage's Ballad

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Honestly unless you have a whole pack of people to raid with as soon as you hit 90 in Endwalker there's no rush to get current at all. Just turn off shout chat and avoid hanging out in cities so you don't get spoilers and play through the MSQ at your own pace.

e:

Ouroboros posted:

Btw when do you get a mount? I heard level 20 but either that was wrong or I must have missed something because I'm almost lvl 30 and I don't have one yet.

Lv20 in MSQ. You can't miss it, the camera straight up zooms in on the NPC that gives you the quest and a text box pops up that says "You can't beat the game without finishing this quest" when you get to it

People would play all the way up to the end of the game without ever doing the quest to unlock mounts because it was technically optional before 5.3 lol

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 5, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ouroboros posted:

How long in terms of playtime compared to WoW does it take to get to max level? Or at least to the level where I can do challenging group content akin to WoW heroic raids or mythic+? I don't mind the other stuff in MMOs but that's really what I'm there for, this is sounding like it's going to be a bit of a slog. Do I have to go through the whole MSQ to get to that kind of content?

It's very hard, though not impossible, to set up party finder groups that are willing to do the level 50 formerly-endgame content at its intended difficulty (item and player level synced down to roughly equivalent power levels to what they were in 2013). You'd unlock that after finishing the ARR basegame MSQ (so after the first time you see the credits roll). However, it will probably take a lot of time just to get a group going, let alone one that'll keep going at it for days. Casual difficulty stuff is still extremely high traffic but I get the feeling you don't really care about that.

But yeah, if you're absolutely despising the MSQ, this might just not be the game for you. There are some good moments in ARR, and in 2.x, and they really step it up in HW and start refining it in SB. But, if you're tearing your hair out and just can't give a gently caress right now, the game pretty much always is going on adventures with your Scion bros, so that's not gonna change.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They could probably stand to push some of the 52-80 skills down into 1-50 yeah. It works the way it does right now because the level cap used to be 50 and each class had roughly the same amount of buttons back then as it does now, and they're happy with the amount of abilities a level capped class has, so they don't want to add more to avoid bloat. As a result every class is fun to play at 80 but low level play is nightmarishly dull, and some classes, like Paladin, feel like crap to play well into Stormblood.

wrt HW jobs being locked behind getting to HW, that's just the devs trying something and loving it up like they hosed up ACN > SMN/SCH. The job quests for MCH, AST, and especially DRK reference Ishgard and tons of stuff that happens in 2.0-2.x so the way they'd "fix" it is by rewriting their entire 30-60 questlines top to bottom, redoing the solo instances so that they're in ARR zones, and moving the quest NPCs; So, a lot of loving work. That's the reason why every subsequent job added to the game works differently.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I don't play WHM but I believe there are weird extremely specific niche cases where you want to use Cure I because it casts faster than Cure II, allowing you to weave without clipping. Like, if you have no Lilies and you need immediate single target healing, but more than Cure II can provide but also Benediction is on cooldown, you can Cure I + Benison or Tetragrammaton for more HP in the same amount of time it takes a Cure II to cast.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

All of the pvp sets are boss in their own ways tbh. The ARR PvP weapons also have pulsing red particle effects if that's your thing, plus there's the Aka Oni Greatclub and the Matchlock Greatclub, giant spiked iron rod weapons for DRK and GNB.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

My Chocobo's name is Goku

People get a li'l upset when his timer runs out and "Goku withdraws from battle." appears in their chat logs. The real Goku would never withdraw from battle.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Do you guys think it would be better if Third Eye / Seigan / Merciful Eyes weren't in the game and Samurai got a bigger mitigation on a longer cooldown like Shade Shift instead? I know using Seigan is better than using Shinten if you have unavoidable damage coming but it does seem like a finicky optimization and I don't have the Savage experience to know how often you actually survive something as a SAM because of 10% DR.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

jpmeyer posted:

The badness of Aurum Vale is way overstated. Meanwhile everyone keeps forgetting how bad Dzemal Darkhold is. It may even be worse than Toto-Rak (for similar reasons).

Dzemael is great because you can get a bunch of decent glam items from it (like the pince-nez) and the invuln fields make pulling the entire first section of the dungeon a breeze. It's also the first dungeon where healers can AoE

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do more than Cast Cure.

Yeah sometimes you need to cast Medica II twice back-to-back to heal up after raidwides.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

In ShB the ordinary sidequests in settlements as you play through the story also scale to your level. They don't give as much XP as the dailies (clearing out a settlement will probably give you about a fifth of a level) but they award leveling gear which you can either use or sell for a ton of gil

Which is worth repeating, by the way: Any time you get offered gear from a quest in the overworld, whether it's MSQ or a sidequest, always take it instead of the Allagan Bronze Pieces or whatever. Almost all of the gear MSQ/Sidequests offer you is HQ crafted leveling gear which will sell for 5-6 digits easily. This includes the gear you get from the adaptive coffers that give you an item for whatever job you're currently playing.

There are a few exceptions, like in patch MSQ where you get blues or greens; those are untradable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zet posted:

I'm at the end of HW and noticing the teleport fees are getting pretty high since everything's further away now.

I know there are ticket things for free teleports, but I'm curious what people's preferred/free aether points are.

I have a preferred in UD and Gridania with my free in Limsa. FC house is in Limsa though so it may be economical for me to put my free teleport elsewhere... My Home point is wherever I feel is the next hub of quests so I can just jump out if I want to. (Gridania is still the most expensive even with the preferred :| )

I think if you download and link 2-factor authentication and/or the companion app you get an extra favorite (half price) teleport location and the ability to set a free teleport destination.

My Homepoint is Foundation. Gridania, Limsa, Mor Dhona, and the second ShB city are my half-cost spots, and Ul'dah is my free spot. It might be worth to move one of your half-cost spots away from Limsa if you can teleport there half-cost thanks to your FC.

I recommend unlocking hunts so you can kill your weekly B-rank hunt for your Grand Company; that'll give you you 20 aetheryte tickets worth of seals for 20 free teleports a week. If you ever get around to doing Blue Mage, the Masked Carnivale will absolutely bury you in Allied Seals. I haven't paid over 200 gil for a teleport in like a year, and once you get to Stormblood it's going to start costing about 1k a teleport for long-distance jumps.

e: you will be doing a lot of long distance jumps in stormblood

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 30, 2021