Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Lorem ipsum posted:

AFAIK only elites and better actually drop runes. The ones in the dregs can drop major rune fragments

That seems to follow my recollection better.

I defer to Lorem on most matters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea, I don't know what you mean by "interfere" but there isn't a technical reason why you can't use both protocols. There are good reasons why you wouldn't use TCP for realtime stuff in videogames but there isn't a reason why you wouldn't use both.

Basically, if the game works as described, its kinda lazy but not really problematic (its def not a optimized way to do it but we are talking like millisecond delays not seconds). I suspect they are using a lot of third party stuff to build their game and something in there is just slow.

it's just a very weird design decision of all things, and it's also json instead of anything lighter or a binary format over the wire. half the things in the game make a huge amount of individual http requests, one after another (without using something like http2 or 3 to multiplex over the same socket or similar), even when they don't really rely on the previous response (think one call getting a list of guids, then requesting a hundred guids one by one, new tcp connection for each one).

they don't distribute this or locally store this data in multiple places, as far as i can tell, it's all requested from the same place, so even if you get decent performance in the real time portion connected to a non-US region, your initial load and various other parts of the game (inventory, anything guild related, etc) would be hundreds of milliseconds away for each request.

it uses several year old version of UnityWebRequest.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 22, 2021

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The more I play the game, the more obvious how much better Shadowbane was in 2003 than this is in 2021. With all the problems they had with that game, it's insane how much more complete that game was. The balance in this game is loving god awful too.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Zotix posted:

The more I play the game, the more obvious how much better Shadowbane was in 2003 than this is in 2021. With all the problems they had with that game, it's insane how much more complete that game was. The balance in this game is loving god awful too.

If Shadowbane had the graphics and movement controls Crowfall has, i would of played the gently caress out of that game.

Also i would change the Crowfall UI and use the Shadowbane UI.

I hate Crowfalls UI.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Zotix posted:

Ignoring wardens, what do you see as major balance issues?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea, I don't know what you mean by "interfere" but there isn't a technical reason why you can't use both protocols. There are good reasons why you wouldn't use TCP for realtime stuff in videogames but there isn't a reason why you wouldn't use both.

Basically, if the game works as described, its kinda lazy but not really problematic (its def not a optimized way to do it but we are talking like millisecond delays not seconds). I suspect they are using a lot of third party stuff to build their game and something in there is just slow.

Supposedly, TCP has a hard time when there's a bunch of invisible traffic following the exact same route from end to end occupying throttling limits, etc., which is what UDP (which can sometimes have high bandwidth and has zero congestion control itself) represents. This, supposedly, results in a high rate of TCP packet loss during sustained UDP traffic, and therefore big TCP latency spikes. I do not know if this was ever true/is still true, or what.

EDIT: Of course, if the TCP traffic is going to an API in one place and UDP traffic is going to a game server in another, that seems like it shouldn't be a problem, even according to the above logic?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Supposedly, TCP has a hard time when there's a bunch of invisible traffic following the exact same route from end to end occupying throttling limits, etc., which is what UDP (which can sometimes have high bandwidth and has zero congestion control itself) represents. This, supposedly, results in a high rate of TCP packet loss during sustained UDP traffic, and therefore big TCP latency spikes. I do not know if this was ever true/is still true, or what.

EDIT: Of course, if the TCP traffic is going to an API in one place and UDP traffic is going to a game server in another, that seems like it shouldn't be a problem, even according to the above logic?

None of this matters unless your traffic is nearing the maximum link bandwidth. In this case, so you might lose UDP traffic and since TCP is guaranteed delivery sure you might get retransmissions because thats how it works. I suppose congestion control will cause TCP to backoff and "yield" a bit to UDP traffic but honestly your UDP stream is going to be hosed too. Modern bandwidths are so high that none of this should be a routine consideration for normal software like games.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

Ignoring wardens, what do you see as major balance issues?

The biggest issue is stealth mechanic and how it's utilized currently. Stealthers imo should have one ability to get out of jail free of they hosed their calculations up but stealth can be used nearly every 10-15s on some builds.

Also individual targeting skills in melee is a loving nightmare. There is a decent amount of desync when players are congested and if someone is trying to put distance on you, but you are right there with them single target skills just don't land reliably enough. This is coming from someone on a fiber connection one state over from the server.

I'm curious how everything plays out at end game when people are rocking full crafted purple with specifically tailored defensive stats. Right now some casters just wreck because resistances aren't being employed properly, but I'm sure that will change with time.

I'm curious at a design level how big of a fight classes are designed around.

I'd also like to see much larger maps. No mounting. A larger emphasis on bard songs to get around. Bring summon chains back. A wizard group tele would be nice.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 22, 2021

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Time to kill is pretty long in this game, which makes fights feel nice. Also stealth is easily counter able with perception so I don’t see the stealth complaint as a huge issue, more just a minor annoyance.

I do agree with you that trying to target melee attacks in a scrum is hard and in a zerg is absolutely impossible. The lack of being able to zoom out makes big fights extremely hard to tell what’s going on as a melee.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I sort of like the closeness factor for big fights. Maybe letting the leader of the murder soon out a bit to call directions might be interesting, but the scrum feels properly messy if you are in it.

Stealth is in a completely broken place as usual, it needs another year of play with thoughtful changes before it will be ok. Right now if you are playing cleanly on a stealth class you should never die. You might get chased off an objective, but the tools to break contact are so strong (and largely not documented) that if you get caught you probably hosed up. Perception is a weird and clunky lever. Direct nerfs to how stealthing works are almost certainly coming with good cause.

Wardens are the least troubling of the various class balance issues, and are probably going to get overnerfed while stuff like the cleric get ignored while being more busted. Oh and I doubt anything happens to the racial movements despite some of them being dramatically better than others.

Game remains good.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Zotix posted:

The biggest issue is stealth mechanic and how it's utilized currently. Stealthers imo should have one ability to get out of jail free of they hosed their calculations up but stealth can be used nearly every 10-15s on some builds.

I run https://crowcaine.wiki/wiki/minor/faerie-flames on my cleric. Its basically impossible for stealthers to escape. I understand your frustration though since I know a number of classes don't really have a way of dealing with stealth. I still think stealth is mostly ok since there are multiple mechanisms to detect/prevent stealth. I think the assassin ult maybe shouldn't have a blind attached to it or only have 1 charge.

quote:

Also individual targeting skills in melee is a loving nightmare. There is a decent amount of desync when players are congested and if someone is trying to put distance on you, but you are right there with them single target skills just don't land reliably enough. This is coming from someone on a fiber connection one state over from the server.

Honestly, targeting is a problem just in general, especially as a healer. There isn't a good way to target a friendly though another friendly.

e: I linked the wrong "faerie" disc

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 22, 2021

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I kind of get the impression that a lot of the balance complaints come down to the rock paper scissors nature of the game. Some things are just supposed to beat other things, and get beaten in turn by something else. Not everyone stands a chance in a 1v1 depending on what their race/class brings to the table. Yeah, getting clowned on feels bad and unbalanced, but there's another guy out there who is going to clown on your ganker with their build. Everything in this game is supposed to be done in groups, community is like the whole point of the old school MMO revival thing it has going on.

That said, fighting even a mediocre warden feels like they're throwing rock, paper and scissors all at the same time no matter what your build is. I kind of hate them.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Anias posted:

Oh and I doubt anything happens to the racial movements despite some of them being dramatically better than others.

I mean, they are not supposed to be equal. That's sorta the point. Two of the best ones are not in very popular races of nethari and woodelf.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

We are going to be focusing on Dregs now.

US West.

It seems easy to hesitate and overthink it but I just hopped in and it seems like friendship is the beat gear you can get.

The other thread should be locked

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
If this has been answered before in this or the other thread, sorry..

Is it better to just make a toon dedicated to crafting and just vault share everything ?

I think i heard the guinea pig race is the best.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

FreeWifi!! posted:

If this has been answered before in this or the other thread, sorry..

Is it better to just make a toon dedicated to crafting and just vault share everything ?

I think i heard the guinea pig race is the best.

Guinea is the best elusive gatherer. It's not the best at actually gathering resources and it's not the best at crafting but it is the easiest to escape ganks with.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't know how true that is anymore. I'm stuck with my guinea pig gatherer at this point but loving everybody, I'm not kidding literally every-loving-body now, carries that god drat fairy fire stuff around now and opens up a gank by slapping that on me. I think last weekend was the last time I got away and survived. Since then if someone jumps me it's been the same procedure every single time, "mine, get ambushed, try, die tired"

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't know how true that is anymore. I'm stuck with my guinea pig gatherer at this point but loving everybody, I'm not kidding literally every-loving-body now, carries that god drat fairy fire stuff around now and opens up a gank by slapping that on me. I think last weekend was the last time I got away and survived. Since then if someone jumps me it's been the same procedure every single time, "mine, get ambushed, try, die tired"

Then I guess assassin is a better getaway character at this point.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

You are welcome

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

So the first round of dregs campaigns are over, and despite Cawful being on the scoreboard and set to get some modest rewards, they changed the scoring rules to deal with people exploiting the system meaning we get nothing. Oh well.

Prepping now for the Shadows campaign ruleset which should be more sane. We'll be focusing on US West again.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Lol I didn't realize the stuff i was wearing on my dregs character would disappear, good thing it was all poo poo.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

malhavok posted:

Lol I didn't realize the stuff i was wearing on my dregs character would disappear, good thing it was all poo poo.

It was all put in your dregs bank. From the main screen you can export the gear to your main bank and re-equip it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Nunes posted:

It was all put in your dregs bank. From the main screen you can export the gear to your main bank and re-equip it.

Hot, thanks!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Capntastic posted:

So the first round of dregs campaigns are over, and despite Cawful being on the scoreboard and set to get some modest rewards, they changed the scoring rules to deal with people exploiting the system meaning we get nothing. Oh well.

Prepping now for the Shadows campaign ruleset which should be more sane. We'll be focusing on US West again.

I was discussing this with my guild yesterday. We were one of the top guilds so we were unaffected but I was arguing that the goal posted shouldn't be moved 24h before the campaign ends. People played this ruleset with those rules in place. If you want to make it so that trial account solo person guilds don't count I'm fine with that. But people that logged in here and there to cap a few points in the middle of the night the last week shouldn't been punished.

This system was ripe for exploiting and doesn't take a game designer to figure it out.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Zotix posted:

I was discussing this with my guild yesterday. We were one of the top guilds so we were unaffected but I was arguing that the goal posted shouldn't be moved 24h before the campaign ends. People played this ruleset with those rules in place. If you want to make it so that trial account solo person guilds don't count I'm fine with that. But people that logged in here and there to cap a few points in the middle of the night the last week shouldn't been punished.

This system was ripe for exploiting and doesn't take a game designer to figure it out.

Also like who is really hurt by it? Just let us have stuff and fix it for next time around

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Patch is out: https://community.crowfall.com/topic/32659-7000-live-server-update-notes-for-822021/

Pretty funny that they still haven't done anything about this game's horrendous chat system, but I guess since Tiggs responded "what's wrong with chat?" when someone brought it up on the official discord, I shouldn't be surprised.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Ho boy. Downloading again.

Hello darkness......

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Cutedge posted:

Tiggs responded "what's wrong with chat?" when someone brought it up on the official discord, I shouldn't be surprised.

LOL did this really happen? I guess maybe they thought people were saying it was broken beyond the horrible design?

I am trying to summon the will to give the faction war server, the one that should have been in from the beginning, a shot. I don’t know though this remains a player driven economy game that does not have any practical way to buy and sell items. Also a group based game without a functional chat interface let alone any other way to help you find a group.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

We're on the US West Brandoneon server for this campaign. Feels a bit better with faction support.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Capntastic posted:

We're on the US West Brandoneon server for this campaign. Feels a bit better with faction support.

Is the guild active? I think the other goon guild died off mostly

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

malhavok posted:

Is the guild active? I think the other goon guild died off mostly

Xolotl and I have been trying to get on a few times a week, and a few orhers have been tagging in. I'm holding out hope that if we get a few consistent folks it'll be somewhat self sustaining.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've been kind of hankering for 3-faction warfare so this seems like something to try, but I'm old and don't have the kind of free time I used to. Is it possible to squeeze any juice out of this game on a casual play schedule, or do I need to be doing 4 hours nightly?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I've been kind of hankering for 3-faction warfare so this seems like something to try, but I'm old and don't have the kind of free time I used to. Is it possible to squeeze any juice out of this game on a casual play schedule, or do I need to be doing 4 hours nightly?

Join a larger guild. You won't be able to get anywhere crafting wise with a couple of hours a week. You'll need crafted gear to be competitive at this point. Easiest way to just fight and have fun? Join a larger guild and let them do the tedious poo poo while you fight.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
If you are joining FvF or any other import server don't be a dumbass like me and waste import tokens on like basic harvesting tools and dumb poo poo like that.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I don’t get a ton of time to play, and one of the main struggles I have with this game is there is really not much to do solo. But if you’re available during keep or fort siege times, I’d recommend finding a guild that resonates with you in the Crowfall discord guild recruitment channel.

I’ve been having a good time with the bigger guild I’m in, Corvus Citadel. They played alpha so know their way around things, so can teach a lot. They are also super chill and do not really tolerate trash talking or any drama like that, which I prefer.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Cutedge posted:

Tiggs responded "what's wrong with chat?" when someone brought it up on the official discord, I shouldn't be surprised.

Where? The official discord is read-only for news, and the only thing I can find from Tiggs about chat in the big unofficial community discord is her saying "We know the chat is needing to be fixed and everyone is asking. IT won't happen overnight."

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks for the info, folks. I may give the game a shot and try to join a larger guild.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Zotix posted:

Join a larger guild. You won't be able to get anywhere crafting wise with a couple of hours a week. You'll need crafted gear to be competitive at this point. Easiest way to just fight and have fun? Join a larger guild and let them do the tedious poo poo while you fight.

What guild are you a part of?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Doggir posted:

What guild are you a part of?

The Undead Lords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants to hit me with their uh... CrowLink before I play tonight, that would be super appreciated.

Ort posted:

I’ve been having a good time with the bigger guild I’m in, Corvus Citadel. They played alpha so know their way around things, so can teach a lot. They are also super chill and do not really tolerate trash talking or any drama like that, which I prefer.

If they are cool and tolerant of noobs, I'm interested in joining. Plus that's a loving sick guild name. What would I need to do to join?