Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants to hit me with their uh... CrowLink before I play tonight, that would be super appreciated.

If they are cool and tolerant of noobs, I'm interested in joining. Plus that's a loving sick guild name. What would I need to do to join?

Here’s a copy/paste of their info from the guild recruitment. Very welcoming of new people, competitive but nobody ever yells at anyone or gets mad in voice comms or whatever. We just started our own alliance for this Dregs so that’s where most people are, but a few will be messing around in Shadows.

**Guild Name: ** Corvus Citadel
**Guild Tag:** =CC=
**Guild Region:** NA
**Guild Link:** <https://corvus-citadel.com>
**Guild Discord:** <https://discord.gg/XHpxvT4>
**Guild Description:** We're a mature and flexible guild as most of us are older professionals with families who've been playing MMOs for years, and we like to keep a friendly atmosphere for members and visitors alike. But we do take our play seriously and compete to win campaigns. Please swing by our discord if interested!
https://i.imgur.com/cBwU3E6.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Sachant posted:

Where? The official discord is read-only for news, and the only thing I can find from Tiggs about chat in the big unofficial community discord is her saying "We know the chat is needing to be fixed and everyone is asking. IT won't happen overnight."

Ugh, I stupidly saw something on on the official forums and repeated it and surprise it's not true. The community discord has the quote "what's wrong with chat" about the chat system literally being broken and it's from April of this year during one of the alphas.

My bad :(

I have a hamster Cleric up to 26 but I kind of think I'd like a DPS class more especially if I'm just loving around. I'll still probably throw that character on the Shadows and then level up something else to play on the Dregs if i ever get around to actually grouping with people or doing anything.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants to hit me with their uh... CrowLink before I play tonight, that would be super appreciated.

My display name is capntastic I think that's what you enter in

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ort posted:

Here’s a copy/paste of their info from the guild recruitment. Very welcoming of new people, competitive but nobody ever yells at anyone or gets mad in voice comms or whatever. We just started our own alliance for this Dregs so that’s where most people are, but a few will be messing around in Shadows.

**Guild Name: ** Corvus Citadel
**Guild Tag:** =CC=
**Guild Region:** NA
**Guild Link:** <https://corvus-citadel.com>
**Guild Discord:** <https://discord.gg/XHpxvT4>
**Guild Description:** We're a mature and flexible guild as most of us are older professionals with families who've been playing MMOs for years, and we like to keep a friendly atmosphere for members and visitors alike. But we do take our play seriously and compete to win campaigns. Please swing by our discord if interested!
https://i.imgur.com/cBwU3E6.png

Thank you. Who should I say recommended them to me? Do you go by Ort there?

Capntastic posted:

My display name is capntastic I think that's what you enter in

Thanks so much, this should land me some free play time and cheaper game packs.

My game name is Buttdinner but I don’t think you need a referral to get in.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Are we all drifting our separate ways now, or is BGC still doing their crafting EK?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Are we all drifting our separate ways now, or is BGC still doing their crafting EK?

There was never really enough of us around to have consistent numbers at any time of day. I was really hoping we could have a good old fashioned goon swarm going in this game but it just didn't attract enough players. Maybe with the free trials we can get more on board.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I played for a few hours tonight and my suspicion is the new player experience isn't doing the game any favors. I know it's a tutorial, and I'm personally grateful to get a chance to learn the systems before I'm thrown in the deep end. But it's long, and the thing I'm seeing most consistently is the combat feels... floaty? Is that wrong? I don't know if it's because I'm playing a Duelist but my feeling right now is that the combat doesn't feel very good. There's the possibility that the campaign systems make up for it, but a new player wouldn't be blamed for being skeptical and impatient before the game really proves itself.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So what I've learned this week is this game does not do very well with intermittent or flapping connections. Not Crowfall's fault really, the hotel I'm at for this work trip has absolutely poo poo-tier WiFi so everything is useless on the internet I can barely submit my daily reports. Just kinda punishing when I'm out in a PvP zone.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

malhavok posted:

There was never really enough of us around to have consistent numbers at any time of day. I was really hoping we could have a good old fashioned goon swarm going in this game but it just didn't attract enough players.

That was more sole reason for wanting to consolidate under CAWFUL- as soon as things splintered day one I knew it would be acid to getting a swarm on.

Three groups of two semi-focused players is gonna be less fun for everyone than one group of four consistent players.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Capntastic posted:

That was more sole reason for wanting to consolidate under CAWFUL- as soon as things splintered day one I knew it would be acid to getting a swarm on.

Three groups of two semi-focused players is gonna be less fun for everyone than one group of four consistent players.

BGC strikes again. Dive in to fragment the already existing group forming for a game and then split in two weeks after the next game is out and their work is done.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Sachant posted:

BGC strikes again. Dive in to fragment the already existing group forming for a game and then split in two weeks after the next game is out and their work is done.

BGC? What is that?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Capntastic posted:

When I saw the split for what was already a tiny community I just figured I'd play POE and see if everyone consolidated or burned out by the time I got bored of the new league...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I played for a few hours tonight and my suspicion is the new player experience isn't doing the game any favors. I know it's a tutorial, and I'm personally grateful to get a chance to learn the systems before I'm thrown in the deep end. But it's long, and the thing I'm seeing most consistently is the combat feels... floaty? Is that wrong? I don't know if it's because I'm playing a Duelist but my feeling right now is that the combat doesn't feel very good. There's the possibility that the campaign systems make up for it, but a new player wouldn't be blamed for being skeptical and impatient before the game really proves itself.

To me it is the movement in general. After so many years of WoW movement, this is a bit jarring. Not because it is completely different as SB was (Jesus gently caress SB movement sucked donkey balls), but rather because it is ALMOST like WoW but noticeably laggy/unrefined.

Also, nothing like being in the middle of a fight against a group, and having nearly the entire screen erupt into the YOU loving LEVELED celebratory clutter, while you try to get rid of it because the enemies are not sharing the celebration.

Is there a way to zoom out the camera?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 5, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I have a lot of problems with crowfall but man that starter tutorial is bad. Most of the time isn't even spent on tutorial stuff. If they cut out a ton of the quests and just said "kill bad guys in this zone to levle until 17" or whatever it would be a way better time and feel less harrowing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Whatever this patch did made my frame rate about 5/sec unless I am looking down at the ground.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Don't know if this Reddit post works but it claims to increase performance. You have to edit the boot.config file in your Ace\Crowfall\Download\CrowfallClient_Data folder.

quote:

gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1

wait-for-native-debugger=0

scripting-runtime-version=latest

vr-enabled=0

hdr-display-enabled=1

gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1

gfx-disable-mt-rendering=1

gc-max-time-slice=1

Edit: and since I just checked my own file, don't forget to mark it as read only afterwards so patches don't revert things. ;p

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

To me it is the movement in general. After so many years of WoW movement, this is a bit jarring. Not because it is completely different as SB was (Jesus gently caress SB movement sucked donkey balls), but rather because it is ALMOST like WoW but noticeably laggy/unrefined.

Also, nothing like being in the middle of a fight against a group, and having nearly the entire screen erupt into the YOU loving LEVELED celebratory clutter, while you try to get rid of it because the enemies are not sharing the celebration.

Is there a way to zoom out the camera?

That's all MMOs. Asmongold touched on this recently. Basically WoW is the pinnacle for character responsiveness. Even other stellar top notch MMOs aren't quite as responsive when compared to WoW.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Whatever this patch did made my frame rate about 5/sec unless I am looking down at the ground.

:same:

I went to see if there were reports I could upload, and I guess I never realized that it was written in Unity. So as a Unity dev, I have to say...

that explains why it runs like poo poo :v:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I was able to fix it by reverting the last thing that came down from the Windows Update channel

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...74-c04f55cd1d08

I think this is a variation of the same performance crippling bug that they had a problem with in April. This is what happens when Microsoft fires all their QA. Anyway, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and then click on "View update history" and then "Uninstall updates" and find KB5004331 and remove it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Cutedge posted:

I was able to fix it by reverting the last thing that came down from the Windows Update channel

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...74-c04f55cd1d08

I think this is a variation of the same performance crippling bug that they had a problem with in April. This is what happens when Microsoft fires all their QA. Anyway, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and then click on "View update history" and then "Uninstall updates" and find KB5004331 and remove it.

That is not in my list. :shrug:

Zotix posted:

That's all MMOs. Asmongold touched on this recently. Basically WoW is the pinnacle for character responsiveness. Even other stellar top notch MMOs aren't quite as responsive when compared to WoW.

Yeah pretty much. Honestly it’s the one thing that kept me playing WoW for so long. Other games aren’t even close, pushing your buttons feels extremely good both with response time, audio and visual feedback. I haven’t played in almost 2 years so am becoming more used to the jank of other engines and don’t mind it much anymore. I actually think crowfalls combat and movement and stuff is kind of cool for some reason.

I never thought I’d buy this game or even pay attention to it but I still find myself wanting to log in every day just to mess around. Like half the time I’m not even doing anything but running around, yet it’s kind of nice. It made me realize that older MMOs were less action focused and you weren’t actually doing much most of the time you’re logged on except running through the landscape. I find it relaxing at the end of the day vs logging in and having 90 popups telling me to do this daily or this dungeon.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

That is not in my list. :shrug:

How about KB5001330?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Capntastic posted:

That definitely didn't help, but the 40 dollar price tag with no free trial would have been a hard check on goon numbers regardless.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Everyone can generate friend codes to give a free 7 day trial I am fairly sure. Think they call them Crow Codes.

Nunes fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 6, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Nobody really want's to do a 11 hour newbie tutorial where the combat sucks..

Players quit mid tutorial cause they get bored.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

FreeWifi!! posted:

Nobody really want's to do a 11 hour newbie tutorial where the combat sucks..

Players quit mid tutorial cause they get bored.

That's what I did. I don't know poo poo about the industry but I suspect this game needs more than a free trial to save it.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah the level to 25 in this game is brutal. I was thinking about they could fix it, and I am not sure. One thing that seems really weird to me is that if the game is all about PvP, why do you pick the faction at the end of the tutorial without somuch as even knowing the difference between them, and no pvp occurs until that point. I get that duplicating the tutorial zones would be a lot of work but I just think back to Warhammer Online and how the game was geared into the faction combat from the jump and the first tier was so much fun. They have to introduce people to pvp sooner in the game and honestly you should pick your faction when you generate your character.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I get free level 25s with my vip sub but i still gotta do the tutorial quest because it gives you way better money and items for the time than just farming would. Also it gets me to 30. It doesn't take THAT long, though it is extremely boring. The sad thing is it barely covers what you need to know, you need way more tutorial for this game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Crowfall - A Kickstarter MMO that actually launched

Just makes me think of

Crowfall - A Kickstarter MMO that won't make you sick and kill you

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

malhavok posted:

I get free level 25s with my vip sub but i still gotta do the tutorial quest because it gives you way better money and items for the time than just farming would. Also it gets me to 30. It doesn't take THAT long, though it is extremely boring. The sad thing is it barely covers what you need to know, you need way more tutorial for this game.

Join a dregs guild. There's no way the 2 hour tutorial gives better rewards than the same time spent in the dregs.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Zotix posted:

Join a dregs guild. There's no way the 2 hour tutorial gives better rewards than the same time spent in the dregs.

I'm in a dregs guild, a pretty big one. I still mostly just die.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

malhavok posted:

I'm in a dregs guild, a pretty big one. I still mostly just die.

I don't know then. I'm able to farm probably 30k gold an hour in dregs. Plus the equivalent in resources for another mechanics. Resources, soul essence, Etc. There's no way you can get purple vessel additives and such doing the tutorial.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Well this is embarrassing.
I have been rushing through the tutorial with a duelist, have been up for well over 24 hours, and went right past L5 when I got my pistol, and completely missed where it explains how to actually USE the pistol. I have it equipped but haven't the slightest clue how to shoot the damned thing.

In unrelated news, I turned my graphics down to medium, turned off shadows and a couple other things, and STILL am getting crippling FPS drops depending where I am at and what my camera has in view. Mainly happening in towns, but also happens when out in the wild and looking at mountains in the distance.

The UI is still as unintuitive as ever. I haven't a clue what the little arch of stars is all about above the bottom bar. Slowly figuring things out but holy hell is it a slog.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Hasselblad posted:

Well this is embarrassing.
I have been rushing through the tutorial with a duelist, have been up for well over 24 hours, and went right past L5 when I got my pistol, and completely missed where it explains how to actually USE the pistol. I have it equipped but haven't the slightest clue how to shoot the damned thing.

In unrelated news, I turned my graphics down to medium, turned off shadows and a couple other things, and STILL am getting crippling FPS drops depending where I am at and what my camera has in view. Mainly happening in towns, but also happens when out in the wild and looking at mountains in the distance.

The UI is still as unintuitive as ever. I haven't a clue what the little arch of stars is all about above the bottom bar. Slowly figuring things out but holy hell is it a slog.

Just wait till you start crafting....

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

FreeWifi!! posted:

Just wait till you start crafting....

I dunno man, I cannot even find anything by googling to figure out how to use the gun once equipped. Ever search comes back with partly filled out wiki about Duelist, and stats on pistols.

Put it in your mainhand if you want to use pistol attacks, use a rapier mainhand if you want melee attacks.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ort posted:

Put it in your mainhand if you want to use pistol attacks, use a rapier mainhand if you want melee attacks.

ah, thanks. No key to swap them?

No, other classes have a range/melee tray swap, I don’t know why duelist doesn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ort posted:

No, other classes have a range/melee tray swap, I don’t know why duelist doesn’t.

Weird. I thought since I have them both equipped, it might use ranged automagically when... at range. Not sure I see much of a point in it not working in offhand, when the option is available to dual weild pistols with both hands equipped with one.
:iiam: in a big way.