Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Offhands in this game are just stat sticks, ranged classes have a separate ranged slot so I’m sure that has something to do with it. It’s annoying because you can’t use half the talent abilities with a sword equipped, but you can still use pepper shot and stuff with a pistol offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, the gun is there to use shooting abilities, not to autoattack.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
I hit lvl 30 and I don't really know what to do now, should I take my character to the Faction vs. Faction world?

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Blackdog420 posted:

I hit lvl 30 and I don't really know what to do now, should I take my character to the Faction vs. Faction world?

That is probably a good next move. As for character progression, you will want to get a crafter to make you a white vessel with the main stats you want so you can progress to level 31 and start searching for green versions of the major and minor disciplines you use. These will give you additional stats.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
I need a pvp game. Try this, play albion, or wait for new world?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Nunes posted:

That is probably a good next move. As for character progression, you will want to get a crafter to make you a white vessel with the main stats you want so you can progress to level 31 and start searching for green versions of the major and minor disciplines you use. These will give you additional stats.

Yup, a lot of people assume gear is what they should be focusing on instead of permanent upgrades like vessels and disciplines. All gear breaks down, don't blow your money on a buncha fancy stuff that'll last you a week.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bishop01 posted:

I need a pvp game. Try this, play albion, or wait for new world?

New World is not a good game for PvP. So if you've already narrowed it down to these I'd say just pick based on what control style you prefer. Standard 3rd person follow cam = Crowfall. MOBA style = Albion.

e: Also Crowfall has a trial and Albion is straight F2P so you can give either or both of them a shot with nothing lost if you don't like em.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 8, 2021

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
I mean the beta was not terrible for new world pvp, its just not full loot anymore

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Vessels seem like a headache

They are pretty minor boosts compared to gear, but still a nice upgrade. Good crafted gear will last you about 40 deaths and can be swapped between characters.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Vessels are permanent and transfer without import tokens or anything like that. Not a bad investment really.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Just don't buy the vendor one, crafters will sell better ones for about half the vendor price.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

malhavok posted:

Just don't buy the vendor one, crafters will sell better ones for about half the vendor price.

I mean if you are going to go out and grind, snagging the white vessel from a vendor is fast and the crafted upgrades on a white vessel are miniscule. They also get replaced the second you put a green vessel on. 7k isn't a lot tbh if it comes.down to slapping a white vessel on and getting xp vs waiting around for a crafter. But that's a decision each player has to make for themselves.

Ort posted:

They are pretty minor boosts compared to gear, but still a nice upgrade. Good crafted gear will last you about 40 deaths and can be swapped between characters.

It's all a piece of the puzzle for each character. I don't know that I'd call the bonuses minor though.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 12, 2021

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Are you guys in a guild at all? I'm in a goon guild but no one really plays it seems. Playing solo is the pits.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Blackdog420 posted:

Are you guys in a guild at all? I'm in a goon guild but no one really plays it seems. Playing solo is the pits.

I am in a smaller guild (~20) but we have been able to score in the top 20% on a lot cards in the previous east dregs. We generally do well in fights unless we come up on zergs.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Did anyone watch the ACE livestream? I heard the Shadowbane dev is no longer working on Crowfall and the rest of their answers were non answers or outright disconnected from the community. I just actually won a copy of the game and wanted to play.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

The fact that there were apparently layoffs at ArtCraft and no one has even posted here about how the game is pretty much dead is probably pretty telling.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/09/06/crowfall-studio-artcraft-has-apparently-suffered-a-round-of-layoffs/

rip crowfall 2021-2021

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Yeah, rip

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I went back to playing shadowbane

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Cutedge posted:

The fact that there were apparently layoffs at ArtCraft and no one has even posted here about how the game is pretty much dead is probably pretty telling.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/09/06/crowfall-studio-artcraft-has-apparently-suffered-a-round-of-layoffs/

rip crowfall 2021-2021

:ughh:

But the crafting and the 8 hour newbie intro was .....

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Well, at least they released something, that's more than can be said for most games like this.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The crafting was pretty cool, but it wasn't enough of a hook

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
There were some poor design choices which really helped the zerg meta. It always seemed insane to me to limit AOE. Imo, that is the main tool smaller groups have to deal with larger numbers.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Nunes posted:

There were some poor design choices which really helped the zerg meta. It always seemed insane to me to limit AOE. Imo, that is the main tool smaller groups have to deal with larger numbers.

Yea, I feel like they copied this from shadowbane, except i'm pretty sure it was a technical limit in shadowbane

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

quote:

We’ve reached out to the studio for a statement about the future of the game and the remaining team and will update when we have it, but we note today is a holiday in the US and we might not get a formal announcement until tomorrow. [Update: The studio declined to comment.]

They are still putting out producer letters with content they are working on, maybe they just downsized but idk. The game was cool but having all of the siege times in the US start when I want to go to bed sucks.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

jabro posted:

[Update: The studio declined to comment.]

I wouldn't talk to massively either.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea, I feel like they copied this from shadowbane, except i'm pretty sure it was a technical limit in shadowbane

The game is so poorly coded I'm sure it just brings the game to a crawl.

I was barely ever to even play. I started getting constant crashes after launch and just gave up.

The team just wasn't experienced or skilled enough to pull it off.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

insider posted:

The game is so poorly coded I'm sure it just brings the game to a crawl.

I was barely ever to even play. I started getting constant crashes after launch and just gave up.

The team just wasn't experienced or skilled enough to pull it off.

Are we talking about shadowbane?

because I couldn't even get Shadowbane to install on my pc. Installer crashed out every time.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I remember that in order to be anywhere near a battle in SB, I had to turn down settings until I literally only had torsos of players displayed.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm still having loads of fun in Crowfall. But I'm also out in dregs participating in the majority of the content the game was designed around.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Zotix posted:

I'm still having loads of fun in Crowfall. But I'm also out in dregs participating in the majority of the content the game was designed around.

"Content"

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

That's nice.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 11, 2021

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I still think Crowfall is very fun. I think a dregs server with a ruleset tuned for 20-30 person guilds would make a lot of people happy. The shadows turns into zergs as well so while its more friendly for small groups, doesn't hit the segment trying to get fights where each side is 3-4 groups. Most of the engagements I see in the current Dregs is 1-2 groups accidentally finding the zerg hitting objectives. The times I have had the most fun in the Dregs was heading to hot zones as they are usually held by 1-2 groups depending on the size of it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nunes posted:

I still think Crowfall is very fun. I think a dregs server with a ruleset tuned for 20-30 person guilds would make a lot of people happy. The shadows turns into zergs as well so while its more friendly for small groups, doesn't hit the segment trying to get fights where each side is 3-4 groups. Most of the engagements I see in the current Dregs is 1-2 groups accidentally finding the zerg hitting objectives. The times I have had the most fun in the Dregs was heading to hot zones as they are usually held by 1-2 groups depending on the size of it.

I don't understand the opposition to large scale combat. There are hundreds of games on the market that cater to small and mid scale combat with even numbers. Go play one of those.games.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I don't oppose it but I think there needs to be avenues for all sizes of orgs to focus on to have content and work towards growing organically. The guild I am in struggles to grow beyond a couple groups as people get tired of the uphill struggle to build something from the ground floor and just jump for one of the zergs. Most people can only get run over so many times by a zerg more than double or triple their numbers. When fights are that imbalanced you don't even really get a chance at interaction because you die so fast. This leads to the server distilling down to like 2-3 alliances where everyone else quits or merges into these groups. You then have a pretty stale server and you see similar results over and over. This is kind of what happened in Shadowbane.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I just decided I don't like totally open PvP gameplay everywhere with no alternatives anymore. That game play wore out it's welcome with me in Crowfall. The risk/reward gameplay just doesn't resonate with me in this game. It doesn't feel like it adds anything to my enjoyment, just takes away from my experience when I'm trying to mine rocks or grind exp and hang out and chill. When I want to PvP it's worth seeking out sieges or hotspots and stuff, but it's not the absolute only thing I want to do every minute of the game. The time I wanted to spend PvP-ing got more and more rare and I just finally uninstalled.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
https://massivelyop.com/2021/12/17/kickstarter-mmorpg-crowfall-was-just-acquired-by-mythgard-developer-monumental/

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Company seems to be lead by an independently wealthy dude who just loves Shadowbane and Crowfall. He's been responding to people on reddit and seems surprisingly reasonable for someone who loves Shadowbane and Crowfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Huh, what a weird world.