Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It looks like he didn't just sell to some random company, he's been in correspondence with a guy who's been critiquing his work since shadowbane. However, since we aren't privy to the details of that critique, I have this feeling the wrong criticisms were applied, especially coming from a studio that's already "rescued" a no-name MMO before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

As someone that was excited for the game since it was kickstarted: I was hoping there were posts confirming they pulled the plug on this quietly

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't understand what they did during all the years of development.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I don't understand what they did during all the years of development.

They developed the game, but their model is just so slow. I played the first three dregs only, but it was apparently obvious that having to wait 30 days when bugs were introduced was just not going to work in 2021. That might have been okay in development but not in release. The nameplate bug introduced in the second or third campaign was unbearable and having to wait 30 days for a potential fix was too much for me. And it wasn't even fixed in the next campaign.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

thats good. good for them for not going bankrupt and shutting it down i guess. hopefully it eventually shapes up into something good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Congrats to the devs for creating a successful business.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tabletops posted:

thats good. good for them for not going bankrupt and shutting it down i guess. hopefully it eventually shapes up into something good.

I guess, but they did it by selling off the rights and staff for their only released game and IP. ArtCraft still exists and is working on their next game, but I don't really care enough about it to learn about it. I suspect that's going to be true of most people who play Crowfall, and I can't imagine ArtCraft making it to another game release as a result.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The good news is that Crowfall was sold to someone who use to be really passionate about Shadowbane and had a close communication back and forth with the creator of both games for years and years.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Honestly, crowfall did a decent job making a combat system that plays pretty similar to shadowbane while being a lot more modern and less jank.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I enjoyed getting to level 30, but then level 30 - 35 required fulfilling very specific requirements to level up, instead of just doing quests and killing mobs, so I dropped off it very fast. It was a weird system that I wasn't down with. Since the game is now basically a population 0, I have been thinking about playing it again just to level up characters.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I enjoyed getting to level 30, but then level 30 - 35 required fulfilling very specific requirements to level up, instead of just doing quests and killing mobs, so I dropped off it very fast. It was a weird system that I wasn't down with. Since the game is now basically a population 0, I have been thinking about playing it again just to level up characters.

This is the whole crafting system as a whole. It's incredibly detailed and tedious, and incredibly grindy. Which, when players leave, leaves a giant void in the economy. I played in a top dregs alliance for the first 3 campaigns of retail and had 2 characters at 34/35. It was a nightmare. I initially realized that gathering was the extent of the crafting economy that I wanted to be a part of. I got leggo/ leggo with full enchanted gear and made a small fortune with mining. Gave half the ore to my alliance, and sold the other half, and funded everything I needed. When I was at work from home I sat in the community discord doing trades, and it was easy to see halfway through the second Dregs campaign that fewer and fewer people were making listings, and it was generally the same 20-30 people relisting their trades all day long. Then once Death Alliance, and Winterblades formally left the game for New World you could see that even within those alliances their crafters left giant holes for the remaining players. It's hard as gently caress to replace those manpower hours.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Crowfall is going offline on November 22, 2022.

quote:

Over the past few months, we’ve been evaluating the current state of Crowfall. One of the biggest challenges has been the sheer amount of development effort required to build new campaigns and keep the game running daily. In order to refocus our efforts from live operations to development, we have decided to take the Crowfall live service offline for the time being.

On November 22, 2022, at 11 AM CST Crowfall will go dark, and the game servers will be unavailable. Until the service goes offline, take this time to try out all of the cool buildings, mounts, and emotes for free in the Crowfall store.

We're going to use this time to map out the future of the game. We have yet to determine what that looks like, but we are investing in and rethinking every part of the game - from the core technology and tools to art, design, and gameplay. Nothing is off the table.

We'll share the plan with the community as it shapes up.

Narrator: it never shaped up

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That was fast.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Crowfall - A Kickstarter MMO that actually unlaunched

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I hope they’re able to revise it into something cool. I had fun with it when I played, the class design was actually excellent, but at the end of the day forced pvp is not my favorite thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The controls always felt kind of bad. Compare the archer to an archer in genshin impact.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jabor posted:

Crowfall - A Kickstarter MMO that actually unlaunched

Worlds Adrift has entered the chat

*Laughs in Tree of Life*

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ort posted:

I hope they’re able to revise it into something cool. I had fun with it when I played, the class design was actually excellent, but at the end of the day forced pvp is not my favorite thing.

I really liked parts of it but too much of the game felt like it was rushed due to lack of time and funding.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Can we get a mod to change this thread's title to "Crowfall - A Kickstarter MMO that actually unlaunched"?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

loving depressing when the only kickstarter MMO to even launch just completely fails. I never played Crowfall since it died too quickly basically but it definitely would have been an MMO I eventually checked out due to it's PvP-focus. I used to watch some streamers playing to see how it played and it looked fun/this Return of Reckoning streamer said he enjoyed the game, so I'm not sure why it failed so quickly. I've seen people say the population was just poo poo/would go long periods without finding anyone to fight against, and some have mentioned the leveling design was poo poo.

There's a fine line between total failure/dead on arrival and decent success.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

knox posted:

loving depressing when the only kickstarter MMO to even launch just completely fails. I never played Crowfall since it died too quickly basically but it definitely would have been an MMO I eventually checked out due to it's PvP-focus. I used to watch some streamers playing to see how it played and it looked fun/this Return of Reckoning streamer said he enjoyed the game, so I'm not sure why it failed so quickly. I've seen people say the population was just poo poo/would go long periods without finding anyone to fight against, and some have mentioned the leveling design was poo poo.

There's a fine line between total failure/dead on arrival and decent success.

The game was grindy as all gently caress and PvP was OK at best. 90% of it was ganking people who had no possibility of fighting back or camping campaign objectives and murdering whatever suckers even tried.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

The game was grindy as all gently caress and PvP was OK at best. 90% of it was ganking people who had no possibility of fighting back or camping campaign objectives and murdering whatever suckers even tried.

The same could be said of all open world PvP games.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I had a lot of fun with it for the first couple of weeks it was out. :shrug:

I'd play a relaunch if they manage to go anywhere with it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I played the first 3 dregs with UDL and had a lot of fun. It's an open world PvP MMO which has an uphill battle to begin with.

My major issue with the PvP was it was high risk low reward for those getting ganked. High reward low risk for those ganking. The reason this was the case was because all that dropped was anything in your bags. No gear equipped. So gankers could go out with bandages only in their bags. Literally anything else they obtained was profit. Meanwhile if you were farming for XP, gold, resources whatever, it all would drop.

Not to mention if you were a ganker, you could recall at any moment with your loot. There was no need to evac through a gate.

It was poorly thought out. Large sieges were fun and we had a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_GZ-Wloto