Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Cavauro posted:

can't imagine how methodical cm punk would be right now. if he is up for wrestling he should go back in time and do world of sport

colt should teach him - i like it when he does holds and locks differently due to his british influence and it honestly seems to catch his opponents off guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Realtalk: Punk was a very good worker by the standards of WWE's roster in the early 10s but since then we've had the rise of Omega, Ibushi, Andrade, Fenix, Adam Cole and a whole lot more besides. Even if he was able to perform at his best level after 7 years away he's not going to seem as good as he used to be because the overall quality of wrestling is so much better.

I think by the standards of today, even peak Punk would be kind of a middling worker, not sloppy, but also not totally crisp. And he probably wouldn't be at that level anymore, because his last few years in WWE just wrecked his body.

But I think one thing Punk would still have is a very good grasp of psychology. He could very easily be a Tanahashi/Jericho type who wrestles a different style and is every bit as compelling, in a different way.

And, the dude has pretty much been doing combat sport training without pause, so I dunno that he'd be that rusty physically. It'd probably take him a while to get used to taking bumps again, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

I'm behind on my Hobbs lore, what are those numbers down his thighs?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

But honestly AEW feels so at capacity to me. One of Jungle Boy, Miro, Sammy, MJF, Darbz, Hangman, or some of the others who carried pandemic AEW are gonna get jilted in favor of these El Idolos or Blacks or CM Punks and I don't think that's fair.
Of the people listed there CM Punk just feels so out of place since maybe barring Miro (who has absolutely hit his stride) you're talking about people who are nowhere near their ceiling.

I honestly feel like, with Murphy probably coming in, AEW should seriously cool it on men signings and let things breath. There are so many huge potential feuds and stories to tell right now with the existing roster, you could sign no men and eat a couple injuries and still have more than a year of fresh content. But I think BBT is just gonna keep signing dudes.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:eyepop:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Area codes. San Francisco Bay and East Bay specifically.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lid posted:

Also if Punk comes that means Punk, Doc Gallows and Serena Deeb are in the same company at the same time.

Bald Serena Deeb loving ruled.

Allergies (I think) are making me feel crummy so I think I'm gonna order a fat rear end pizza and light the fuse gently tonight. Or it could just be the stress and agony of packing for a cross-country move happening next week. Who knows!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Squishy posted:

area codes probably

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Rarity posted:

You should give Dynamite a shot, if you liked the kinda stuff Punk did then you'll dig it :)

No, I’ve watched a handful of Dynamite shows over these lockdown months while working from home and they are good to very good. It’s just one of those things - there isn’t the name there yet that I want to cling to/be a mark for. People like Mox and Omega are so talented and great, but I don’t feel invested in anyone and because I’ve no history with the product, the connection isn’t always there. This is entirely on me, and not on AEW or it’s roster.

As per what I said above, Bret’s my FOAL. I love this stupid fake poo poo thanks to him. However when he jumped to WCW when I was a kid, I didn’t follow suit despite having Sky telly to do so - WCW doesn’t mean anything to me. Different contexts I appreciate, and were Punk to sign, I’d absolutely be tuning in to see what was happening.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

650 is Palo Alto's area code and I think that's where he's billed from. 510 I think is also a CA area code but I don't know why its there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

britishbornandbread posted:

As per what I said above, Bret’s my FOAL. I love this stupid fake poo poo thanks to him. However when he jumped to WCW when I was a kid, I didn’t follow suit despite having Sky telly to do so - WCW doesn’t mean anything to me. Different contexts I appreciate, and were Punk to sign, I’d absolutely be tuning in to see what was happening.

Which reminds me, Tony Khan, sign Bret Hart to manage *spins wheel* PAC.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a great show because it's AEW and when are their shows not great?, but the fiancee and I have Fight for the Fallen tickets last week and we're both getting kind of anxious that they haven't announced anything at all for the card yet. That's so uncharacteristic of them that I'm wondering if there's going to end up being some huge angle tonight to set up next week.

Oh well. It's AEW. It's not really anything to worry about.

I've got some time before Dynamite, so I'm going to catch up on my Youtube subs. Oh cool, Ashens uploaded a new video yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd8nAEW0D6Q

What wonderful timing. :allears:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

As per what I said above, Bret’s my FOAL. I love this stupid fake poo poo thanks to him. However when he jumped to WCW when I was a kid, I didn’t follow suit despite having Sky telly to do so - WCW doesn’t mean anything to me.

To be fair you didn't miss much with Bret in WCW, like nothing at all.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

No, I’ve watched a handful of Dynamite shows over these lockdown months while working from home and they are good to very good. It’s just one of those things - there isn’t the name there yet that I want to cling to/be a mark for. People like Mox and Omega are so talented and great, but I don’t feel invested in anyone and because I’ve no history with the product, the connection isn’t always there. This is entirely on me, and not on AEW or it’s roster.

if Bret's your favourite you will probably love Serena Deeb's matches.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lid posted:

Scoopsgal my friend I know you said AEW doesn't need Punk but...

what if...

AJ Lee...

she's mentioned she has a spine condition or something that makes it not realistic to wrestle again

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If CM Punk signs with AEW that would suck for that CM Punk super fan Cora Jade that probably signed a 5 year deal with WWE and hasn’t done anything besides lose matches on NXT (and 205 live for some reason??)

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

MJeff posted:

Which reminds me, Tony Khan, sign Bret Hart to manage *spins wheel* PAC.

That first PPV, I think, where Bret stepped in for Flair and introduced the world title and MJF came out and referenced the hall of fame speech attack was Heel Work 101.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lethrom posted:

650 is Palo Alto's area code and I think that's where he's billed from. 510 I think is also a CA area code but I don't know why its there.

510 is the area code for the other side of the bay, basically from Richmond down to Freemont and if I'm remembering correctly Hobbs lived in Oakland for a while

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I don't think Ethan's latest vlog has been posted yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jZVd-glgc

Eddie Kingston will be in your vlog but he will hate it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ganso Bomb posted:

Bald Serena Deeb loving ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8LUszdvkPk

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If CM Punk signs with AEW that would suck for that CM Punk super fan Cora Jade that probably signed a 5 year deal with WWE and hasn’t done anything besides lose matches on NXT (and 205 live for some reason??)

She'll probably get out of that contract before 5 years because Vince is just gonna forget that NXT exists and stop paying the overhead for it well before then.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vandar posted:

I've got some time before Dynamite, so I'm going to catch up on my Youtube subs. Oh cool, Ashens uploaded a new video yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd8nAEW0D6Q

What wonderful timing. :allears:

I never imagined there would be so many steps. With the amount of work you're doing, you could be making real food!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm real glad Dynamite is on tonight. Need a pick me up after my house sale fell through

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CM Punk might have been a good person to sign like seven years ago

We're in the future now with an absolutely stacked roster full of present and future stars that already don't have enough television time without a weekly 20 minute CM Punk 'you people' template promo

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If you wanna fight about it just be warned I am weak so I will rake the eyes

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It would be good news for her because she would have new CM Punk performances to watch.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know I said I'm not big on Punk, but I have to say "Not as good as Omega or Fenix" is hardly an indictment on his skill. The question is like could he go with Matt Hardy and Luchasaurus and SHAWN SPEARS and others in singles matches on AEW with some regularity. He'd be fine.

Spiderdrake posted:

Of the people listed there CM Punk just feels so out of place since maybe barring Miro (who has absolutely hit his stride) you're talking about people who are nowhere near their ceiling.

I honestly feel like, with Murphy probably coming in, AEW should seriously cool it on men signings and let things breath. There are so many huge potential feuds and stories to tell right now with the existing roster, you could sign no men and eat a couple injuries and still have more than a year of fresh content. But I think BBT is just gonna keep signing dudes.

I agree. And he probably will. It brings buzz and fan bases to the company. And we can all pretend he's gonna ship some of em off to Impact or NJPW to keep it fresh. But ahh, I wonder how big the bubble can get on the men's side. Rampage and trios titles will help, but even those feel like they already have lines. The women deserve a lot of time on Rampage. There are a number of trios teams off the top of my head that need a run with those belts.

Shard posted:

I'm real glad Dynamite is on tonight. Need a pick me up after my house sale fell through

Sorry. That stinks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I want this Kaz/Elite thing to be Kaz’s anger at the Elite not respecting the early indie guys who paved the way, then at All Out Kaz’s stable of Danielson, Punk, Hero and Claudio beat the piss out of the Elite.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Both are area codes. First one is for East Palo Alto and 510 is from the East Bay Area. Aka where I grew up ayy

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jiro posted:

No way, "This Fire Burns" is a way better song than that. The god pop he received in that Chicago match against Cena/Johnny Ace was to that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wroqcQVcoIg

Had he not been using "Cult of Personality" at this point? Was that only a thing once he came back after he won the title?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

five ten represent, we have several walmarts within viewing distance of each other

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

I know I said I'm not big on Punk, but I have to say "Not as good as Omega or Fenix" is hardly an indictment on his skill. The question is like could he go with Matt Hardy and Luchasaurus and SHAWN SPEARS and others in singles matches on AEW with some regularity. He'd be fine.

You don't bring Punk in to work Shawn Spears on Dark or even to work Matt Hardy or Christian with any regularity. He should be working programs aimed at elevating guys like Jungle Boy, Darby, Hangman, Hobbs, MJF, etc.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

Had he not been using "Cult of Personality" at this point? Was that only a thing once he came back after he won the title?

He started using it when he came back ahead of Summerslam, yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PIdDXmLgY

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
As for who would feud be feuding with and people saying MJF, nah it will be Hangman. The millenial alcoholic vs the Gen X straight edger.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Feuds I would be definitely interested in seeing:

Punk/Hangman (with Colt involved on Hangman's side if they can patch that up)
Punk/Kingston ("oh you never got an ice cream bar Punk? I had to sell my boots to make rent". Also the Chicago/New York rivalry would be insane)
Punk/Moxley
Punk/Jericho
Punk/MJF
Punk/Omega

Danielson/Omega (best bout machines! A great transition out of the title picture for Omega post dropping it to Hangman)
Danielson/MJF
Danielson/Christian
Danielson/Jungle Boy
Danielson/Darby Allin
Danielson/Cody
Danielson/Miro

Maybe Danielson/OC, having seen Danielson/Regal live DBD can do dastardly comedy heel very well.

Bringing Punk in as heel might be tough, but I think he could straight-edge promo his way into it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you watched WWE in the last two years (lol) then you’ll know you could put Braniel Dyanson against literally anyone and they’ll have a good match.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Punk wrestling like he's some master at strikes and submissions is hilarious, since he was awful at both. But his "Tribute" Elbow to Randy Savage was so awful it bordered on disrespectful. He should've picked a style that he could actually pull off, like an 80s era territorial midcarder. He's got the athleticism of a Terry Taylor, or Buddy Landell. He's never been a KENTA level, no matter how many times he struggles with the GTS.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Put Bryan Danielson with the Wingmen. Thank you.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bryan and punk do not like each other and i would not be surprised if 'getting' one of them is enough to be a dealbreaker for the other. it's time for the thread to vote. would you rather have bryan danielson in aew, or would you rather have cm punk in aew? start voting now. you can vote as many times as you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Cavauro posted:

bryan and punk do not like each other and i would not be surprised if 'getting' one of them is enough to be a dealbreaker for the other. it's time for the thread to vote. would you rather have bryan danielson in aew, or would you rather have cm punk in aew? start voting now. you can vote as many times as you like.

Your vote only counts if it includes the top 5 theme songs you’d give both of them