Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
If Silver & Reynolds do get to be in the big match, I want to see 5 and 10 against Cutler and Nakazawa in a DO vs Elite B-Team Match on Elevation or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

Somebody recently described Raw as just shooting B-roll and it makes tons of sense.

It really does. WWE frames everything they do around Moments. They want the shots of people holding up title belts in front of roaring crowds and sweeping views of adoring fans wearing WWE (c) Merchandise and how they actually get there literally does not matter at all.

If they could find a way to do a wrestling show without having to waste time actually wrestling at all they would do it in a heartbeat.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

This is a good sign. Potentially might finally be giving a lot more time to the women's division

https://twitter.com/MILANO_MOBBBB/status/1415697170079043590?s=20

I hope that's true but if Rampage is an hour that means they're probably only doing like, 3 or 4 matches at most and I just don't see Tony giving them more than 1 match at best.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Seeing as how the Cody portion of AEW is basically "1995-1996 WCW" it makes sense that he would have his own Dungeon of Doom that he can just beat over and over again in a way that only benefits himself and nobody else, except this version isn't zany so they don't even have that going for them.

For real though, I think part of the problem is the whole "you can get over even while losing" thing only works when the guy whose losing is good enough at either the wrestling or the character acting to get the fans on their side which is really really hard to pull off when it's a guy having his like, second or third match ever

Plus just in general I feel it works better with babyfaces. Jungle Boy can spend 2 years losing every important match he has, but people still go wild for him cause he's the underdog and people want him to succeed. With Ogogo it felt more like people were rooting for Cody to lose than for him to win.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Remember that time Dustin pulled Spears pants down and revealed he had Tully Blanchard's face on his dick for some reason?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

HFO and The Factory alliance to end Cody Rhodes.

Everything goes to poo poo when Cody gets dry-humped to death by Paul Wight and a giant mummy

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Apollo Crews vs Big E
Uso vs Mysterio
Tamina and Natalya vs ShotI and Nox
Nakmura vs Corbin
Rollins vs Cesaro

I can't tell if that's a joke or not because on the one hand they've done 4 of those 5 matches approximately 900 times in the past few months and it would be insane to just do them again but with a crowd this time, but at the same time I 100% believe WWE would just run those matches for the 901st time because they're basically a wrestling themed content mill at this point.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I won't be at the New York show cause I believe Homer Simpsons recollection of his trip to New York to be the truth.

Cinematic Match featuring Sting and Darby fighting off pimps and CHUDs

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

It is rumored that after Space Jam's success in 1996 there was an idea for a pseudo sequel called Space Slam, which was going to feature Looney Tunes and WCW wrestlers.

The fact that we were denied this is criminal. The NWO running wild on Moron Mountain while Hogan refuses to put over anyone even in a cartoon would have been the best worst movie.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Feugo is gonna be at AEW shows every week until they go out of business and somehow never gets signed

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Scorpio Sky is a guy who seems better off in tag teams/factions where he can just be a good wrestler. In speaking he comes off as a very laid back/low key kinda guy and he doesn't really translate that into a wrestling character very well.

Which makes it really weird that he's the guy who gets his own podcast with the Rooster Teeth people.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Hook's gonna need a lot of training to develop a perfectly square body

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Scarf posted:

Cutler is also listed as "Executive Producer of Content" for AEW, so I guess that's a fancy way of saying he basically heads up creative?

I think that's just a fancy business way of saying "The guy who makes BTE"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I can't believe AEW is taking away the last letter of people's last names now. This company is turning out just like WWE, smdh

This time next year he's just named Ron

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

pretty peter avalon is even shooting a movie this year already!

drat, being friends with Hollywood Ryan Nemeth is paying off already!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

If any one of the Deadlock boys wins they're probably gonna book Chuck Taylor vs Stu Grayson in a "Who Does JR Hate the Most" match, which turns into a tag team match when Luther and Colten Gunn do a run-in and ends in a DQ when Sting repels from the rafters to take a poo poo and Anthony Ogogo walks out and punches him in the dick.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Okay but what about this:

Cody Mauler Punk

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

To be fair to Dolph, has he ever wrestled in a promotion that wasn't actively going out of it's way to make him look like an utter dork at every possible opportunity? Up to and including having the owner's daughter cut a promo about how terrible he is for basically no reason?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Remember when the Young Bucks did tryouts for WWE and got blacklisted for like a decade cause they didn't shake Booker T's hand or whatever?

I doubt AEW is remotely as petty about this kind of stuff.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I still have no idea how the ratings work if Abadon is 11-1 and isn't ranked above Stat or Shida.

Because Shida and Statlander have had multiple high profile wins on Dynamite/PPV in 2021 while Abadon has only done squash matches on Dark. Obviously it's wrestling so the logic is kind of loose and not always followed, but AEW seems to do a "strength of schedule" kinda thing with the rankings where having recent victories on an important show counts a lot more than beating 20 jobbers in the Youtube B-Show.

They've been generally consistent on having rankings reflect this, and usually when people complain it's cause they either weren't paying attention or don't really get how rankings work. Like when Hangman dropped from the No 1 spot after losing to Brian Cage and for some reason people get really mad about it cause the thought that losing a match might cause someone to drop in the rankings never entered their heads.

The only time off the top of my head they've truly broken the logic of the rankings was Britt Baker's build to her Shida title match which was basically "I'm gonna go grind XP on Dark until I get a title shot" which completely ignored the way they usually work the rankings and is part of why I wasn't that big on the storyline for that title win.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

How many years does AEW have to be in business before people understand "The company wants to put the No 1 Contender's Match on a Big Show because that Makes More Money! A lower ranked contender having a title match before that on a less important show doesn't break this logic."

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

What would the "Real Sports" version of AEW that people are somehow still enraged we never got even look like? Were they expecting like New Japan but in English?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like when they do a results crawl for the Darks on Dynamite. Oh, the signed guy won, huh?

Part of me wishes they did a quick video recap of Dark/Elevation. Not huge just like, I dunno 2 to 3 minutes of showing the finishes/big spots of each match so people remember these characters exist. The crawl's a decent idea but extremely easy to miss.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They had a Picture in Picture for Wheeler Yuta last week showing his Dark/Elevation wins that worked perfectly

I like the idea! Like we don't need some WWE style recaps where they have to remind you of things that happened 3 minutes ago, but a little context for what happens outside Dynamite helps make the other shows feel relevant at least.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

If anything I'd like to see Punk in AEW just so people stop losing their minds every single time they run a show in Chicago, as if there's literally only one reason any wrestling company goes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

britishbornandbread posted:

As per what I said above, Bret’s my FOAL. I love this stupid fake poo poo thanks to him. However when he jumped to WCW when I was a kid, I didn’t follow suit despite having Sky telly to do so - WCW doesn’t mean anything to me.

To be fair you didn't miss much with Bret in WCW, like nothing at all.