Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

graph posted:

DoN '21 jiggled something. i'm glad they chose to give closure to daily's place because it did mean something. these past two dynamites especially tonights lit my loving spark. i was in high school for that era, we used to get wings and watch

Could you say it lit the fuse, brought the boom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Number . . . good?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
:toxx: fulfillment week 11! Until American Dragon, Bryan Danielson shows back up in a mainstream US wrestling promotion, I'm watching episodes of American Dragon, Jake Long to count down the weeks. If you're not interested in reading about an old mid-2000s Disney show, press ctrl+f and search "We're done!" to skip over and get back to your usual Dynamite threading.

~~~~

Not gonna lie, guys. This is a weird one. Not the show, but the fact that rising Hollywood superstar John Cena has beaten eats-and-breathes-all-things-wrestling Bryan Danielson back to the ring. I don't know if he's going to be back for a while at this rate. Running out of show is looking like a worryingly realistically possibility. Will his former brother in law showing back up sway him over to the WWE side of things? Or will he basically spend the rest of his life at an impasse with the fed? Its tricky to tell, and unfortunately, not my area of expertise to tell you guys about. My area of expertise, instead, is apparently rambling about C-list Disney shows, so here's Episode 11: The Shapeshifter.

There's a lot of potential plotlines brewing early in this episode. Jake's hunting goblins at night that are up to no good. His friends Spud and Trixie are being pushed out of their skatepark by some stuck up rich kids. His crush, Rose, is excited for a musician playing the next day. And his teacher, Professor Rotwood, wants a parent teacher conference to get to the bottom of Jake's rebellious attitude. Something tells me we're in for a whirlwind tour of an episode. It also feels strangely . . . backwards? Jake feels more like a reluctant slacker than he did in recent episodes, and his interpersonal relationships feel more distant as well. Looking it up, apparently this episode was production code 102, so it makes sense that this all feels so off. We're basically seeing an episode plucked from way earlier in the season. It also explains why his teacher isn't in jail, because dude was totally arrested at the end of his spotlight episode. With how I felt about the earlier episodes of the show, I'm hesitant going into this episode.

We find out the reason there's goblin activity afoot is due to a powerful orb of dark magic, which they're trying to steal from the Huntsclan and sell to their goblin crime ring. This really is a super New York show. All of these plots are about turf wars and money! However, Jake's not winning this by beating his foes, but instead by joining them. His grandpa and dog whip him up a magical potion which grants him shapeshifting powers. He has 24 hours of transforming into anyone and anything he wants, a power it takes him maybe 30 seconds to start abusing by teasing everyone in the same room as him. There are only two problems: he can't achieve his true dragon form in this state, and the more he transforms, the harder it is to hold his forms.

At first it seems like an open and shut mission: meet the Huntsclan, get the orb, and get out. However, the orb's location is currently compromised, so they need to meet the next day underneath the troll bridge. This gives Jake an entire day's worth of messing around with his shapeshifting, and now I can see why we had so many mini-plots set up in the first episode. With advice from his mother to face his problems head on, he opts to follow the letter of her advice instead of its spirit. He'll face his problems head on, alright . . . with a bunch of other peoples' heads.

Jake starts things off pretty clever. He actually rigs sides of his parent teacher conference, first by having his parents meet a fake Professor Rotwood that's as deranged as Jake imagines him to be, then by disguising himself as his own mother to shout the real Rotwood down. However, he quickly starts getting a little too big for his britches. He tries disguising himself as the artist Rose is freaking out over, but his guitar skills are . . . lacking enough that Jake probably ruined the poor guy's career. He does a lot better of a job disguising himself as a skating pro to chase the rich kids away from the skatepark, but while tearing up the half-pipe his disguise starts slipping in front of his friends. Something tells me all this messing around is going to backfire during the meeting under the troll bridge.

My prediction was right. Jake's left swapping from disguise to disguise. He's surrounded on all sides and can't access his powers. Worse still, when Grandpa tries to intervene, the Huntsclan figures out they're dealing with the American Dragon. They capture him and teleport away, only the Huntsmaster's burning urge to know Jake's true human form stopping them from just slaying him on the spot.

Enter unexpectedly helpful character of the day, the goblin that Jake captured at the start of the episode! Goblins in the show are notoriously good trackers, and Grandpa offered to set him free if he tracked Jake down. We get an all out brawl in the Huntsclan's hideout as Grandpa and a freshly-repowered Jake take the clan on, which is a lot more action packed than the actual Episode 2 we got, and in the end Jake and Grandpa make it out with a magic artifact in tow. All's well that ends well . . . at least, until Grandpa finds out just how much chaos Jake's rampant shapeshifting caused. He's in for an earful!

I was really skeptical when I saw this was an episode from earlier in the production order. However, I think it would've been a way better Episode 2 than the one we actually got. It spotlights a lot of the supporting cast for brief yet notable moments, it had a way better action setpiece, and while the plot was a little on the busier side, it never really became overwhelming. I really don't know why they swapped this with the pretty tepid prom night episode. Were they afraid revisiting the Huntsclan one episode later was too soon, even if they are the show's main recurring antagonists? Did they think this episode didn't have enough parts in the magical areas of New York, instead mostly focusing on Jake's school? Did they want to break up the middle point of Season 1 with a few lighter episodes, so they pushed this one into the halfway point? I'm honestly not sure, and its kind of a shame. If we had the one two punch of the pilot and this episode, I would've probably been less tepid about the show than I was with the comparative low points that the first three episodes averaged.

~~~~

We're done! See you guys next week, and if Bryan Danielson continues becoming a wrestling cryptid, several weeks after this as well. I'm starting to think that if Bryan doesn't return to the WWE soon, he may never return at all, but with some of the surprising returns both WWE and AEW have been pulling off, it's really, really hard to tell.