Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I was thinking “sure, top rope Ego’s Edge onto steel steps was good but somehow I still expected more” and then Darby did the dumbest possible thing post match

top tier Dynamite and props to that crowd for being super hot for everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

xbilkis posted:

I’m pretty surprised at how many people think Archer is gonna beat Moxley next week. In addition to how protected Moxley is in AEW, I dunno if NJPW would be eager to move their belt off the big name who’s held it for an eternity for the benefit of a guy who doesn’t work in their company at a show they aren’t promoting

Archer was NJPW for many years, he was pretty over with the crowd there especially during his last singles run, and he's probably more likely to be willing to fly back to Japan and do a series of shows than the guy with a newborn kid. Not saying it's 100% going to happen, but that title change to Archer would surprise me less than basically anyone else on the roster taking it.

shiksa posted:

I didnt mind the best man run as much as everyone else seemed to and in retrospect it makes his current character so much stronger than if he had just come in like this straight away. "miro is a twitch streamer guy and kid sabians friend" was never long term at least I would hope so lol. but using that as an angle to show miros descent into the terrifying motherfucker on a holy path of destruction that he is now worked pretty well.

like cmon going from being kips gaming buddy to stalking the backstage area looking for kip to "talk" and ending uhhh exactly how you'd expect gives his character more depth than just showing up and being like "ahh!! I am powered by God, dont gently caress w me"

anyway miro was one of my pet "id love to see what this dude could do outside of wwe" guys for years and holy gently caress he way exceeded what I hoped for so far

It also avoided the "oh they brought the WWE guy in and immediately slapped a rocket push on him" criticism and it gave Miro time to get comfortable, develop his gimmick to what he wanted it to be, and shake off the WWE match style before they put him in a title holding position. Like yeah, it was a bit of a holding pattern for him at first but that can be important. Miro had been in WWE for ten years and really never worked anywhere else. It's super smart to put a guy like that in a low pressure easy gimmick with some partners at first and let him ramp it up as he feels more comfortable.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pinwiz11 posted:

Hangman is kicking out of the OWA, win or lose. Right?

They could, this might be the one story in AEW so far that could merit it, but my gut still tells me no. It's weird to say anything is bigger than Hangman right now, but I still think that is. Even Okada never got to do a full kick out of it. Maybe Hangman does what Okada did and gets a foot on the ropes, though.

A full on kick out of the OWA is something Hangman does in like 2024 as the culmination of this being a five-year blood feud.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ganso Bomb posted:

The feeling that went through the crowd when Andrade revealed he wanted Death Triangle last night was really something. Everyone around us was immediately loving on board for Andrade vs Fenix, Penta, and PAC.

I like the ambiguity of not being sure whether he wants to fight them or recruit them, and that either option would be dope.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

Someone please track down the clip of Excalibur explaining the Magical Girl trope to Jim Ross.

I'm still in the camp of only ever wanting it to be Ibushi. They've gradually been telling the Golden Lovers story for 10 years. Let them somehow end up in the same promotion again, and let Ibushi kick out again when it really counts instead of that one time way back in DDT before Kenny really perfected the move. It's the perfect bookend to their story. They've never built any context for it to be Page; he doesn't have a connection to the OWA, so it doesn't need to be him.

Yeah, I'd also be perfectly happy with it being reserved for Ibushi.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vince MechMahon posted:

I thought about it but not for $40.

It's actually cheaper than I expected -- that's not a bad deal for two shirts, a signed 8x10, and various other junk. But I already have enough useless poo poo around my apartment (I know, turn on my monitor) and more wrestling shirts than I ever wear

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Last Call posted:

And that's head to head with the NBA finals.

Yeah, Meltzer was predicting they would not do very well despite it being a good show because of the basketball.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/RefAubrey/status/1415774552613867522?s=20

I don't know if I like the game that much but I'm glad Aubrey is happy :unsmith:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1415851835844333568

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

graph posted:

i thought it was something about not being allelite yet

That was Swole to Diamante on Dark

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah face isn't great but I love the black gloves with LOCKJAW CLAW

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

beautiful

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/tonyschiavone24/status/1416204347969507330

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1416312171139538948

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lamuella posted:

Cutler feels like someone who has figured out that he is never going to be the Ace of a company where Kenny and the Bucks work, but that a good Fool will always get work. He's genuinely great at it. Little things like not being able to stop spraying are near perfect.

One thing I like is that they basically re-gimmicked him when they put him in the role of Elite's young boy. Before he had all the dragon gear and the face paint, but the instant they made him a lackey they put him in a dumb track suit and gave him the stupid looking face mask. They didn't go so far as to put him under a full mask and pretend he is a different character or anything, but they made Geek Cutler visually distinct. So if they complete this angle and they want him to go back to wrestling real matches, they can have an angle where he tosses the mask and the track suit. Even though we all know it's the same guy, it's a good trick to preserve some part of his credibility and not stick him with total comedy jobber forever.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

rantmo posted:

In fairness the face mask is because he suffered an orbital bone fracture or something like that, he done got his face broke, though I'm also not sure if that was kayfabe or not.

I think it was just a work so they could put him in the dumb looking mask, but I'm not totally sure on that

if not, he's probably at least been wearing it way longer than he needed to

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

smarxist posted:

Charlie: ... I'm gonna take 'em out.
Sammy: ... like on a date?!

Sammy has great comic chops lol

edit:
Fuego should beat Aaron Solow's rear end

I think you mean Aaron Solo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Controversial take, but Fuego del Sol should just go by Fuego.

There's already a Fuego in CMLL, who has been around for like 10 years. Or at least there used to be, I haven't watched it in awhile.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

they got a Vtuber, they know what's up

https://twitter.com/Takahata101/status/1417625366630322176?s=20

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jordan7hm posted:

they had to keep it off AEW TV because Fuego is going over!

https://twitter.com/fuegodelsol/status/1417311425672978432?s=21

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Punk is just the doorway to get AJ Lee in to do commentary or manage someone

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

enigmahfc posted:

I was not watching wrestling at that time, so I do not care about CM Punk. Should I?

He's a good promo. He used to be a good wrestler but who knows what he still has at the age of 42 after getting creamed in a couple MMA fights and not really wrestling for the last seven years aside from a couple of secret indie appearances. I think he'd probably be best in a player/coach/manager kind of role like what Matt Hardy is doing. Where he wrestles here and there but primarily is cutting promos and helping younger guys get over.

The bigger picture is that there are a ton of CM Punk superfans still out there and signing him would almost certainly move some big numbers for AEW.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

NutritiousSnack posted:

I agree with people on here that I'm not excited for Punk nearly the same way I am for DB, Tony Khan would be insane NOT to sign his rear end.

I agree and also feel like they're two very different signings. DBry is a "there's a bunch of dream matches we can have" guy. Punk, you're bringing in as a personality.

It's also funny to go back and read the pipebomb promo now because it's still stuff people are saying ten years later:

quote:

I’ve grabbed so many of Vincent K. McMahon’s brass rings that it’s finally dawned on me that they're just that, they’re completely imaginary.

quote:

The reason I’m leaving is you people. Because after I’m gone, you’re still going to pour money into this company. I’m just a spoke on the wheel. The wheel is going to keep turning and I understand that. Vince McMahon is going to make money despite himself. He’s a millionaire who should be a billionaire. You know why he’s not a billionaire? Because he surrounds himself with glad-handed, nonsensical, douchebag (censored) yes men, like John Laurinaitis, who’s going to tell him everything he wants to hear, and I’d like to think that maybe this company will be better after Vince McMahon is dead. But the fact is, it’s going to be taken over by his idiotic daughter and his doofus son-in-law and the rest of his stupid family.

Let me tell you a personal story about Vince McMahon, alright? We do this whole [anti] bully campaign...

[Microphone cuts off]

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lethrom posted:

AEW doesn't need Punk, sure. But I'd pop so hard that I'd probably get stuck in my ceiling if he showed up at All Out. I'd probably actually go straight through the ceiling if they ditched Cult of Personality and instead used This Fire or Miseria Cantare. So I want him to show up, so long as it doesn't add friction to the locker room, but BBT seems pretty cognizant of that so I don't think he'd bring Punk in if it'd be a problem.

That said, Punk was most over with fans when he was being anti-authority, anti-company (at least IIRC). I'm not sure how you book someone like that, you can't have a face be anti-company, its not like AEW isn't giving fans what they want. Do you book him as the anti-company heel? I can suspend my disbelief for a lot in wrestling but "I, CM Punk, am stuck here in AEW even though I hate them because WWE wouldn't back an 18 wheeler full of gold bars into my driveway to get me to join them again" is asking too much, Vince would send at LEAST 3 of those trucks.

Right now, anti-Elite would work, I think. "Oh I come in and surprise, surprise, the three EVPs of the company all holding belts." That's face, sort of anti-authority, but not anti-AEW as a whole. A Kazarian/Punk Elite Hunter alliance might be cool.

(edit): beaten multiple times on this while typing

Shinjobi posted:

I legit have no idea if you could ever get peak Ziggler again. There was a time when I thought he had a ton of potential, even before he won the big belt, but it feels to me like the WWE stomped that poo poo right out.

For me, the Survivor Series match where he basically won the whole thing single-handedly and then they had zero follow-up on it for him was like "ok, here you can pin point where they could have tried to do something major with him and they decided nah, he's not that guy"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MJeff posted:

Do Punk and Kazarian have any kind of history?

According to Cagematch, they tag teamed twice!

...back in 2003. They were six man tags, with Joey Ryan and Matt Stryker as their third men respectively. I am sorry for this extremely cursed knowledge.

There was also a four way with CD and Jimmy Rave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Drakkel posted:

To be fair to Dolph, has he ever wrestled in a promotion that wasn't actively going out of it's way to make him look like an utter dork at every possible opportunity? Up to and including having the owner's daughter cut a promo about how terrible he is for basically no reason?

It's kind of crazy, but according to Cagematch, Dolph has never had a single match outside of OVW, FCW, and WWE.