Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McDonald's donates to Republicans overwhelmingly, but McD's PR problems center on the quality of their offerings, the price, and the associated "cool" factor of even telling anyone you ate at McDonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Source4Leko posted:

Insulting a poster = ok
Me agreeing with them = not ok got it!

If that is the "insult" required to set you off, you need to take a break.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

If that is the "insult" required to set you off, you need to take a break.

Hmmm saying something true means it set me off? Weird perception but ok.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

Beyond dispute is the fact that he slept alone in a bed with a kid for 30 nights in a row. Although one parent was sleeping in another room, I don't see how this behavior is appropriate at all in any context.

He had done this with multiple kids.

MJ was an extraordinarily weird dude and it is also a fact that he hung out with kids at his own private amusement park but despite all that, somehow, its still an open question as to whether or not he was a bona fide abuser

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

MJ was an extraordinarily weird dude and it is also a fact that he hung out with kids at his own private amusement park but despite all that, somehow, its still an open question as to whether or not he was a bona fide abuser

Lame loving probe.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Go vegan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enjoy posted:

Go vegan

Because Vegan has no consumerism around it, no sir.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Go vegan

Done.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Because Vegan has no consumerism around it, no sir.

75% of arable land is used for animal agriculture

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enjoy posted:

75% of arable land is used for animal agriculture

This is the ethical consumption thread, veganism is just as much consumerism driven as anything else, even if its more land friendly.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Okay but veganism is ultimately more ethical and you're basically re-stating the premise of the thread as a refutation of that.

Actually pretty okay with OVO lacto and also with eating non-producing cows and chickens.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

This is the ethical consumption thread, veganism is just as much consumerism driven as anything else, even if its more land friendly.

It isn't possible to consume a sentient being ethically

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Enjoy posted:

and a lot of of vegan offerings are possibly not ethically sourced.

There is probably no such thing as being perfectly ethical in our society. Vegan is likely a more ethical choice for the reason you state, but it's not like it's perfect either and the whole point of the phrase of the thread title is making the choices where you can.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

and a lot of of vegan offerings are possibly not ethically sourced.

There is probably no such thing as being perfectly ethical in our society. Vegan is likely a more ethical choice for the reason you state, but it's not like it's perfect either and the whole point of the phrase of the thread title is making the choices where you can.

Most people can choose to be vegan.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CommieGIR posted:

Can you support this argument or are you just saying random opinions you have about how killing conscious beings is fine actually because tu quoque? I'm vegan as part of my spiritual practice and would love to hear your explanation for how that's not true. I mean, I do really have brand loyalty for a few different types of garbanzo beans and lentils but I'm not sure that's the same thing as supporting the 5.5 million factory farmed chickens that were recently "culled" (murdered and incinerated) due to avian flu.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 3, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I haven't read the whole thread (and based on the string of probes I feel this is a reasonable choice) but there's a Korean fried chicken joint across the street from me, and I feel like they are both a more ethical choice and more delicious than any of the questionable chains mentioned in this thread, at least as much as eating chicken can be.

When they say "spicy" they aren't filthy liars, so I feel this gives them, ethically speaking, a leg up on other chicken-focused restaurants who are filthy liars on the subject of spiciness. The breading is also very crisp and stands up to sauce, which is a plus!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Enjoy posted:

Go vegan

low-quality necro

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Golbez posted:

low-quality necro

But enough about Chick-fil-A

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Give it up bud, veganism is a trigger word for internet nerds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enjoy posted:

Oh poo poo some body better let the obligate carnivores know.

(Yes, I know that doesn't include humans, but the reality is the whole "Be vegan to be ethical" ignores that nature has a lot of species that have to eat meat to survive, are we arguing wild animals are unethical?)

Frankly, good for you for choosing to be vegan. I don't want to be vegan.

ram dass in hell posted:

Can you support this argument or are you just saying random opinions you have about how killing conscious beings is fine actually because tu quoque? I'm vegan as part of my spiritual practice and would love to hear your explanation for how that's not true. I mean, I do really have brand loyalty for a few different types of garbanzo beans and lentils but I'm not sure that's the same thing as supporting the 5.5 million factory farmed chickens that were recently "culled" (murdered and incinerated) due to avian flu.

I'm glad its a spiritual thing for you, but you are pretending we don't cull non-food animals as well during outbreaks? We culled a massive amount of Deer due to overpopulation and Chronic Wasting Disease.

Its not like you escape cullings to eliminating meat as a food product, they'd continue to happen. But those vegan products are also consumer products out to make a profit, and depending on the producer are likely under a larger umbrella for a major company. Sure, there's caveats around that, but I don't think its that clear cut.

The problem with no ethical consumption is until the system is replaced or reformed, we have to consume to survive. There is no truly ethical choice.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 4, 2022

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Oh poo poo some body better let the obligate carnivores know.

(Yes, I know that doesn't include humans, but the reality is the whole "Be vegan to be ethical" ignores that nature has a lot of species that have to eat meat to survive, are we arguing wild animals are unethical?)

Frankly, good for you for choosing to be vegan. I don't want to be vegan.

Ethics don't exist in nature, they only apply to beings which can reason.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, eliminating animals as a human food source would take a ton of the unethical aspects of farming out of the equation, like anything it doesn't have to be all-or-nothing; culling would be unfortunate, but culling as the only source of human-animal violence would be an improvement.

But to CommieGIR's point, our system makes being perfectly ethical nearly impossible. Just make the best choices you can (live with.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enjoy posted:

Ethics don't exist in nature, they only apply to beings which can reason.

Which we are steadily finding more of in the animal kingdom, so where do we draw that line? The sentient beings being eaten by a lion or a wolf are not worthy because they are being eaten by another sentient being, but it doesn't matter because they cannot reason? Being a prey animal that is sentient being killed by a sentient predator is somehow void?

That feels like special pleading. Either sentience is an important characteristic in this, or nature is somehow absolved of the suffering that is part of it by design, we're the only special ones?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Which we are steadily finding more of in the animal kingdom, so where do we draw that line? The sentient beings being eaten by a lion or a wolf are not worthy because they are being eaten by another sentient being, but it doesn't matter because they cannot reason? Being a prey animal that is sentient being killed by a sentient predator is somehow void?

That feels like special pleading. Either sentience is an important characteristic in this, or nature is somehow absolved of the suffering that is part of it by design, we're the only special ones?

If animals were able to reason and have ethics, that would be another good cause for going vegan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enjoy posted:

If animals were able to reason and have ethics, that would be another good cause for going vegan.

Animals also consume each other. We're animals. Members of many other species of animals also consume animals. Whales are sentient AND can reason, but they feel that eating fish and seals is okay to survive.

You are conflating your personal choice with a decisive choice. Its fine for you to decide veganism is for you, its not your choice to deride others for unless you are also willing to accept that nature views predators and meat eating as part of that cycle. Its natural.

To put it bluntly: There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, that includes veganism. But by living in the system you must consume to survive. Would you chide a family in poverty for eating chicken because they can afford it?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've done a bunch of vegan cooking, as my partner has been vegan at times over the years. Now they're pescatarian, so we do that. I still eat meat on my own and out to dinner because I very much enjoy it. None of it is "ethical" in any sense. The veggies I eat while vegan are the product of exploitation and gross capitalist waste. Farmers in the mountains of Bolivia grow quinoa for pittance wages and ship it to Los Angeles so tik tok stars can hoover it up, etc.

I've been very heartened to see the explosion in meat-alternatives over the last 5 years or so. They're really quite amazing, and I'm sure they'll only get better and cheaper. I'm also really looking forward to the 'lab grown' meat of the near future. That'll be about as ethical as it's possible to get.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Animals also consume each other. We're animals. Members of many other species of animals also consume animals. Whales are sentient AND can reason, but they feel that eating fish and seals is okay to survive.

You are conflating your personal choice with a decisive choice. Its fine for you to decide veganism is for you, its not your choice to deride others for unless you are also willing to accept that nature views predators and meat eating as part of that cycle. Its natural.

To put it bluntly: There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, that includes veganism. But by living in the system you must consume to survive. Would you chide a family in poverty for eating chicken because they can afford it?

Would you say deriding others for not being vegan is bad because it causes unnecessary harm?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
whatever experienced harm motivates a guy to come in and “well, actually—“ at a vegan is probably entirely justifiable, ngl

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Enjoy posted:

Would you say deriding others for not being vegan is bad because it causes unnecessary harm?
I think deriding others for not being vegan is just unconstructive.

Like part of the point of "no ethical consumption under capitalism" is that maybe you shouldn't deride others for not making difficult ethical choices, no?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I think deriding others for not being vegan is just unconstructive.

Like part of the point of "no ethical consumption under capitalism" is that maybe you shouldn't deride others for difficult ethical choices, no?

But I find it funny. Why is taking pleasure at another sentient being's suffering such a big deal for non-vegans? You're so uptight, just live and let live!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

whatever experienced harm motivates a guy to come in and “well, actually—“ at a vegan is probably entirely justifiable, ngl

I'm guessing it's made up harm. A vegetarian or vegan gets insulted fairly regularly, and usually doesn't advertise it beyond daring to buy food specific to their diet in public. You will 100% get comments for picking up a meat substitute or asking or ordering a veggie dish outside of certain cuisine restaurants.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm guessing it's made up harm. A vegetarian or vegan gets insulted fairly regularly, and usually doesn't advertise it beyond daring to buy food specific to their diet in public. You will 100% get comments for picking up a meat substitute or asking or ordering a veggie dish outside of certain cuisine restaurants.

it's insecurity and fragility 100% of the time. CG popped in and straight up said "ok but would you chide a poor???". it's guilt because they recognize they have choices and other people don't choose the same thing they choose and so they flail around trying to come up with some words to say that make the guilt go away. it's not my fault. animals eat animals.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Enjoy posted:

But I find it funny. Why is taking pleasure at another sentient being's suffering such a big deal for non-vegans? You're so uptight, just live and let live!

I've never understood why sentience is the line. Sentience is just feeling sensations and responding to them. Plants are absolutely sentient beings that respond to touch, light, sound, etc. but you have no issue consuming them.

I personally draw the line at Sapience. I do not want to eat a self-aware being. that makes much more sense to me than sentience.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 4, 2022

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Plants don't have a nervous system and they don't have pain receptors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've never understood why sentience is the line. Sentience is just feeling sensations and responding to them. Plants are absolutely sentient beings that respond to touch, light, sound, etc. but you have no issue consuming them.

lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ram dass in hell posted:

it's insecurity and fragility 100% of the time. CG popped in and straight up said "ok but would you chide a poor???". it's guilt because they recognize they have choices and other people don't choose the same thing they choose and so they flail around trying to come up with some words to say that make the guilt go away. it's not my fault. animals eat animals.

But I don't feel guilty about it, because I don't have a religious belief (like yours) nor personally want to be a vegan (like Enjoy). I feel guilt about an ENTIRE SYSTEM that has been forced upon us, but I got bigger fish to fry than pretending Veganism is the answer. Its not.

Its like saying our personal actions are going to solve climate change when its the corporations and the wealthy who are chiefly responsible. Pretending mass veganism is going to change the system is, personally, I believe short sighted and fantastical. Good on you for believing it will and personally taking charge for what you feel is responsible actions. You do you.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 4, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Enjoy posted:

Plants don't have a nervous system and they don't have pain receptors.

So sentience does not factor into it, only the ability to feel pain?

That seems like an incredibly weak argument considering that plants respond to repair damaged tissue, and give off chemical signals when damaged to warn other nearby plants that they have been damaged. it may not be 'pain' via nerve impulses, but why does it matter how the damage is experienced? Damage occurs either way. If we could bio-engineer a fish without a nervous system and would you eat that?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm guessing it's made up harm. A vegetarian or vegan gets insulted fairly regularly, and usually doesn't advertise it beyond daring to buy food specific to their diet in public.

This is anecdotal, friend, unless you have data to share. In my experience I've met tons of very nice vegans who have nothing to say about what others eat, and also a fair few militant rear end in a top hat vegans who bring it up every time we interact and loudly judge non-vegans. It's A Thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How are u posted:

This is anecdotal, friend, unless you have data to share. In my experience I've met tons of very nice vegans who have nothing to say about what others eat, and also a fair few militant rear end in a top hat vegans who bring it up every time we interact and loudly judge non-vegans. It's A Thing.

Same. Have multiple Vegan friends, never had a bad encounter with them or vice versa. I'm sure there's some jerks about it, but I don't care: Its their choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

But I don't feel guilty about it, because I don't have a religious belief (like yours) nor personally want to be a vegan (like Enjoy). I feel guilt about an ENTIRE SYSTEM that has been forced upon us, but I got bigger fish to fry than pretending Veganism is the answer. Its not.

Its like saying our personal actions are going to solve climate change when its the corporations and the wealthy who are chiefly responsible. Pretending mass veganism is going to change the system is, personally, I believe short sighted and fantastical. Good on you for believing it will and personally taking charge for what you feel is responsible actions.

Eliminating animal agriculture would reduce emissions as much as switching entirely to nuclear power.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So sentience does not factor into it, only the ability to feel pain?

That seems like an incredibly weak argument considering that plants respond to repair damaged tissue, and give off chemical signals when damaged to warn other nearby plants that they have been damaged. it may not be 'pain' via nerve impulses, but why does it matter how the damage is experienced? Damage occurs either way. If we could bio-engineer a fish without a nervous system and would you eat that?

Sentience is the ability to feel things. If an organism doesn't have a nervous system or pain receptors it doesn't feel anything so it doesn't have sentience. It matters how the damage is experienced because causing suffering is immoral, and plants don't suffer.

I would probably only eat laboratory grown meat and fish if it were made without hurting animals in the first place, which sounds kind of tough.