Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Kinda image heavy, a picture is worth 1000 words and I had been taking pictures for snapchat while working on it.

So, I bought a Baodiao BD125-10 from redfoxpowersports.com
I waited to post this until I had it working well enough to drive on public roads. tl;dr It is assembled very poorly out of the box. Mechanically it might be OK.

The bike basically goes by many names from different import companies - Baodiao to my knowledge makes the Vader, Venom, Belmonte Boom. Boom International Holdings is the Chinese shell company that runs the import process, does the DOT certification, etc.

The price was $1500 shipped.

So, the bike comes in a box.

The bike itself is bolted to a shipping frame. I used air tools to disassemble the frame.

You have to put on the front tire, handlebars....it is not specified what is not actually complete. There are no instructions. I do not have a bike stand so I layed her down on some boxes.

Fully assembled, she looks nice.

She's next to my Kawasaki Versys X 300

We should change the oil. Oh jeeze Rick, the crooked exhaust and catalytic converter is in the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXJXICL2AI

Ok, drop the exhaust. Change the oil.

The chain tension had to be adjusted. I have this little kick stand that does an OK job. It goes on the opposite side of the bike as the kick stand and sorta works like a center stand.

It starts up ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-06aN-AYtMc

I rode it around some, it stalls every few minutes. It tops out at maybe 30mph. I eventually figure out that taking the gas cap off will allow it to start back up.

I ripped off the fairings. Many gas lines' clamps are hanging in the middle of the line, not clamped. Well, that is kinda dangerous. I pulled off the vent off the gas tank plugged into the charcoal canister, gas spat out, that is not normal. Not even really vapor lock, the gas tank can't breathe so it's forming a vacuum which eventually chokes the fuel intake on the carb.

So........well the gas tank breather check valve is kind of bad.....the evap canister purge line is attached to the carb breather line....gas is coming down and up both lines. I make the executive decision to remove the EVAP system for now. I replace it with a breather valve for the gas tank, and put a small filter on the line for the crankcase ventilation. I may re add it eventually....the carb overfill line I guess could go to the canister. The charcoal canister purge to the air intake...I feel like the charcoal canister on this bike might have to be the lowest element so the lines do not back up with fuel creating vacuums in the air tank and carb. I think the fuel tank vent could be attached to the canister if it also had an intake vent. This thing shouldn't have vacuum on it like that I don't think.

I measure the intake manifold at 45mm bolt to bolt

A Honda GY6 intake manifold with appropriate bolt spacing will fit.

I opt to install a Nibbi 26mm carb

The airbox has to go, it can be the source of vacuum issues I guess too. It seems to have airflow issues, I have not cracked it open. Not sure what's up. The Nibbi carb won't really work with it, the air hose is siliconed in. I'd have to do something ganky to reuse it.

I do actually want to keep the EGR valve day 1.

It mounts very cleanly to where the airbox was.

The carb install looks clean enough. I routed the EGR into the intake after the air filter. I glued a hose line in. I will be replacing this with an aluminum pipe that is welded in a while. It is on there very good though.

The bike....well it seems to rev higher. It does not seem to have a rev limiter on the CDI. The air intake sounds pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Jx-mA3CkE

The 14t gear barely clears the frame. the chain sorta can hit it. Let's go to a 17t. 1st gear was basically useless too, 10k rpms for 5MPH it seemed.

I had to buy an impact screwdriver to get the clutch cover off. The clutch smelled like it was burning, never fully disengaging. Other adjustments could not fix it.

From the factory nothing is thread locked. Everything seems overtorqued or not torqued at all.

Quick walkaround with the fairings back on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUBXc5KII9w

I've ridden it a couple hours. It tops out at ~55mph now.
I have not yet jetted it. I may go up on the main jet.

It does seem it can be made road worthy. I would say it is not out of the box.

There are things I am less comfortable with messing with - I think the forks are on a little bit crooked. The front tire seems ever so slightly off. The ignition isn't even bolted in so the wheel lock doesn't work. I may have to mess with them if I can not find a real mechanic to work on this.

Future plans are to add the EVAP system back, thinking I may need to route the lines LOWER than the carb and the tank to allow any condensate gas to flow into the EVAP canister. I think i will route the purge to the air intake.

I am going to learn to tig weld and make a custom intake manifold that angles the carb a better direction, and then also tig weld ports for the EGR and the EVAP when I add it back.

Sooooo....share your experiences. Can be CSC, HAWK, Boom, whatever.
I am feeling pretty neutral about this. The bike rides well now and is fun. It still needs a LITTLE bit of work. My goal was to have a project bike anyway. I do not regret it. The price was right. And it is fun.

I put 10w-40 oil in it. I figure the engine runs hotter since it is air cooled. The manual suggested it or 10w-30.

I _MAY_ put an oil cooler on it.

I am trying to decide if it needs to be jetted or not. It feels pretty good as is. I am wondering if a bigger jet might make it go a little bit more. It is already going pretty good. The air intake is oversized for a 125cc bike at 38mm air intake, 26mm mixed fuel\air intake port size.

Oh, right, the speedometer is not right at all. It doesn't really seem to go above 20mph or so. I am having to measure speed with GPS. I am working with redfoxpowersports support on that.

Edit: Fixed audio on a couple videos

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I started jetting it. I went from 110 to 112 on the main jet.
Top speed increased to 60mph. May go up to 115-120.
YouTube people seem to suggest that is the sweet spot. The speed is outside the realm of what the tires and brakes seem to be able to grip though. So it's fine for streets. Generally keeping it off the highway I think. The bike is too light. Suspension is eh.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 16, 2021

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
60 is generally what a stock Grom will do, so not too bad for a clone. Nice work getting it sorted, the clones interest me not just because they're cheap, but also because you can load a daytona 190 in them without adapter plates like a grom(or zs190 if you're on a budget).

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
It seems worth it. As long as you have time.
The frame itself looks solid. The engine is probably fine. I may or may not throw a 190 in here, I would want to invest in new tires. Already if I am not careful the tires can lock when stopping, and they feel like they are barely gripping at higher speeds. The bike is so light it has bad stopping power. If I wanted to screw around I could probably power slide around a parking lot. 🤣

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 16, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

does it have the Chinese Stink

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Approximately 2 years ago I had a F.B. Mondial HPS125.

A bike made in China, using an engine from an Italian bike (Aprilia RS125) that is stamped with its French holding companies branding (Peugeot), for a Spanish(?) company that bought a French branding (Mondial).

It was a pretty good bike, only had one major issue with the rear brake constantly developing air bubbles due to placement of the linked brake unit.

It made me think the internet advice on chinabikes is wrong. And it is, kinda.

But going by your post, Chinabikes are like autism, everyone sits on the spectrum, but just where on that spectrum is what makes the difference.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Oh, I did register the bike. It is street legal and has a VIN etc.
I rode it around for like 3-4 hours today.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Are the forks crooked in a way that you could fix them by holding the front wheel between your legs and turning the handlebars? Might have got out of alignment in shipping

This thread is cool and good

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 16, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Good thread, incredible what can be delivered directly to your house.

Shelvocke posted:

Are the forks crooked in a way that you could fix them by holding the front wheel between your legs and turning the handlebars? Might have got out of alignment in shipping

Yeah I would assume anything done during assembly/prep to be done with the least amount of care. This is not a dig at China, I assume the same about anyone in the USA prepping bikes at a dealership. Loosen up the front end and give it some bounces to reset it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Gorson posted:

Yeah I would assume anything done during assembly/prep to be done with the least amount of care. This is not a dig at China, I assume the same about anyone in the USA prepping bikes at a dealership. Loosen up the front end and give it some bounces to reset it.

I am probably going to end up trying this as I cannot find a real mechanic that wants to work on the bike. There are two non-dealer mechanics here. One won't touch chinabikes, the other is kinda far for a bike that I don't want to take on the expressway.

This bike is basically an OK bike ruined by bad assembly and untested things slapped on for DOT and EPA approval. I only hope the engine is assembled well, because I can't see that.

I feel like normal bike dealers in the US dealers aren't so bad - but many dealers selling the chinabikes here are paying bottom dollar for Chinese sweatshop assembly....they probably could pay more and tell them to slow down...

China has a ton of good manufacturers. Yingang...Lifan....I think Lifan has a few bikes certified for the US but the price gets jacked up a ton.

Baodiao has actually been around for a long time. They should be ok. Some manufacturers blip in and out of existence, they create clones because China doesn't give a crap about IP. Getting parts isn't a big problem.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 16, 2021

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Shelvocke posted:

I'm not at all surprised how much work it took to get a rideable motorcycle from China, but I am surprised that that work resulted in a rideable motorcycle.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I spent a little bit of time this afternoon getting rid of weird noises. The front sprocket was clunking a bit. Rear tire making a squeaky sound.

The bike is kinda sensitive with chain tension it seems, the chain is so short. Re-torqued everything, cleaned the chain, re-centered the rear wheel, I knew it was off like 3mm. Got it within 1/2 a mm.

Noises gone.

Would I recommend the bike? Yeah.
For a first bike? Hrm....probably not. It's not very intimidating looking but everything handles kind of extremely because it's so light and small.

It's not like it has nice things like ABS or a slipper clutch. It you mess up you are gonna go flying off.

If it's all you want to spend and are looking for a small project, go for it. I would not recommend riding it around without a teardown. It will leave you stranded.

Maybe Venom, XPRO, Vader or the Belmonte bikes model would be better assembled. Would be curious if anyone has ever bought through another vendor.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Northwest minimoto started a spec class this year for YCF SM150s and SM155s, basically high spec Chinese pitbikes in supermoto trim designed by a French company.

It's pretty good for $2100, but needs a lot of upgrades for competitive track duty. Radial calipers, larger master cylinder, and some gearing and hardware upgrades come as a package from the guy in Oregon that imports them. They seem to be standing up to 6 hour endurance races ok. One of the bikes was DoA with a case bolt hole drilled so deep it punctured a high pressure oil passage. The bike I test rode seemed to find false neutrals a lot, but the bikes are light and nimble and haul rear end compared to my Grom. The ones with Daytona engines are probably incredible.

The other option I was looking at are Kayo MR150s.

They're also 12" wheels and clones of the crf150f engine from what I understand. The MR125s were ttr125 engine clones and we're 1:1 compatible with Yamaha parts, no idea if these are the same. $3500 for the racer package from the nearest importer in Sacramento, but no one's currently racing them in our race series. If we got enough there'd be another spec series for them.

I've seen rumors that YCF is also gonna make a cheap GP bike, but haven't found anything else supporting that.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 19, 2021

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slim Pickens posted:

Northwest minimoto started a spec class this year for YCF SM150s and SM155s, basically high spec Chinese pitbikes in supermoto trim designed by a French company.

They seem to be standing up to 6 hour endurance races ok.

Well scratch that, seems they like to drop intake valves after 10 hours, and the brake caliper bracket breaks at the welds. Reading that today makes me glad I went with the Grom.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Jesus. Haha.
A buddy of mine sees Lifan bikes all over the place in Japan. Lifan bikes seem decent in general. Welds breaking is insane.

My throttle cable broke, crimp end fell into the carb. That is fixed now.

The bike has maybe 15-20 hours on it so far, I think it is stabilizing. Stupid bathtub curves.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 21, 2021

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Rode for 4 hours today with a friend. He was holding a steady 55-60 for most of the trip.

Bike works great. I probably won't do much more to it. Works great as a friend bike.

The chain keeps turning black and gets noisy. I am cleaning it weekly. Might give up on it and get a new chain. Or soak the existing one but then that means bike downtime.

The BD125 is really easy to work on and easy to modify. Lot of community stuff like the Grom. Two Facebook groups.

I don't think I have anything left to say about the bike. A bunch of friends are considering getting one.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 25, 2021

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Whoops I just mailed out a check for a CSC TT250 dual sport.

After watching a bunch of mumbly men on YouTube and not being able to find any of the new dual sports I was interested in available anywhere I decided it would be a reasonable cheap option for short commutes and farting around in the mountains occasionally

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

If you don’t mind me asking, how much of the $1500 was shipping costs? It’s like $20k to get a 40’ container from Shanghai to Long Beach (excluding inland trucking both ways) these days so I’d have to think that shipping was a big chunk of the cost

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Bouillon Rube posted:

If you don’t mind me asking, how much of the $1500 was shipping costs? It’s like $20k to get a 40’ container from Shanghai to Long Beach (excluding inland trucking both ways) these days so I’d have to think that shipping was a big chunk of the cost

It was 1500 shipped. 1200 without shipping.
I guess people like buying these from Kronic Racing too. The owner is active on the Facebook clone groups.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dog Case posted:

Whoops I just mailed out a check for a CSC TT250 dual sport.

After watching a bunch of mumbly men on YouTube and not being able to find any of the new dual sports I was interested in available anywhere I decided it would be a reasonable cheap option for short commutes and farting around in the mountains occasionally

It's my understanding CSC is ok. Chinese bikes aren't inherently bad. Depends on the bike, manufacturer, and assembly is clearly a big one. Parts availability. Hope ya like it and it is problem free.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Short of logistics currently being generally hosed, it should be here sometime next week

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Nice. I put a couple hundred more miles on the little bike. It's not giving me any trouble. Been my daily cruise around bike.

I am teaching myself how to tig weld. Sorta want to throw on some custom pipes and delete the rear fender which is kinda garbage.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Dog Case posted:

...I just mailed out a check...

Is this a phrase or did you actually mail a cheque?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

GuestBob posted:

Is this a phrase or did you actually mail a cheque?

Lol, I actually mailed a check.

Now the thing has been sitting in a freight warehouse waiting to be delivered for a week. Turns out covid is a thing and everything is still kind of hosed!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
So it turns out that the zongshen nc450 is almost an exact clone of the crf450x engine from around 2008 an is pretty highly regarded. It also turns out you can buy one brand new and stick it in a crf frame, down to using the same mounting hardware.

Build a bike from readily available and cheap spares and put a new Chinese mill in it - great idea or greatest idea?

(It's a terrible idea)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nc450 in a 250 ninja frame.

The best idea.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dog Case posted:

Lol, I actually mailed a check.

Now the thing has been sitting in a freight warehouse waiting to be delivered for a week. Turns out covid is a thing and everything is still kind of hosed!

Yeah I hear the ports are hosed up. That sucks man.
Unless it is already in the states. Thought it was just a overseas issue atm.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Shelvocke posted:

So it turns out that the zongshen nc450 is almost an exact clone of the crf450x engine from around 2008 an is pretty highly regarded.

Is there a list of like well known motorcycle crate engines that can be supplied from china or elsewhere easily?

There is something attractive about parts coming from places that don't give two shits about intellectual property. I am finding it very easy to find parts and mess with the bike I have.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
If there is I'm not aware of it, Zongshen engines just happen to be present in a lot of the Chinese bikes that aren't terrible. EverRide and Cross Training Enduro both rated bikes with the nc450 in.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Lol, at 7pm on Friday evening I got a robocall from the company that's making the actual delivery that rattled off a bunch of "for (date) press (number)" potential delivery dates faster than I could grab my schedule, then gave no option to repeat the options, went silent and hung up on me

When I called the number back I just get endless hold music because the office is closed for the weekend

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

It finally showed up!

So far I've only had time to ride up and down the street a couple times. The only things I've really noticed so far: Overall it isn't terrible. Lots of stamped metal everywhere. Despite sitting in a warehouse for nearly a month after being shipped it fired right up. Only thing really wrong is that the right side cover doesn't fit very well. Once I've had it for a little bit I think I'll take a Dremel to it and make it fit.

Now I get to abandon it at home for a couple days because it came right before we're leaving to go camping

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's a good doggo right there

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
The bike also looks real nice

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Got my plate today and finally got to ride around for real.

Straight out of the crate the chain was tight and the tires were over-inflated to like 50psi. Loosened the chain and let some air out and rode around backroads for a while. Everything seems to work great. Definitely need to get the jet kit and richen it up a little. There's some surging at wide open and lots of popping on decel. Otherwise everything I've seen people complain about online is great on mine; brakes are strong to the point I can nearly lock the front wheel with 2 fingers and the shifting is nice and smooth already.

Having a comfortable seat and brakes that actually work is a pretty huge quality of life improvement over my 39 year old GN125, for sure

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Looks like quality, man!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I upgraded to a D.I.D X ring chain at the suggestion of the questions thread. Works great. Way less maintenance.

https://youtube.com/shorts/yFtMM9pkR2E
Messing with the exhaust now. Threw stainless Chinese pipes on. It's a bit too loud. Hoping I can bring the dbs down some without a different slip on.

I got like 600 miles on it. It's been behaving.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I really like what this guy did to his Chinabike.
I seriously might end up getting a second in the near future. I want to throw the Daytona Anima engine on one. It would probably be so fun to ride.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I love China bikes, had my first riding experience using this giant lovable piece of poo poo:

180cc of... Something.

It showed me that motorcycling is awesome and basically cemented the idea that, yes, there are poo poo bikes, but it's impossible not to have fun riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Also the tires SUCKED