Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Got this thing for $200 off a neighbor few years ago. 125cc pitbike. Apparently the motor is based off a 70s Honda. First motorcycle I’d ever ridden. Kickstart is broken so you have to bump start it. Front brake lever was completely loose. Had an fmf exhaust on it. I’d just ride it around my neighborhood hoping no one would call the cops on me, I don’t have a truck or trailer. It would do the pop pop pop thing on decel. Figured out the basics of riding on my own.

Just recently moved 1200 miles away, 5,000 feet lower in elevation. Dumbass movers dropped it and now I can’t get it to start. Jetting issue I’m sure. I take my MSF this week so will be getting a real bike soon. I really hate to give up on it but it’s hard to diagnose when you have to bump start it each time.

One day in a manic frenzy I took the passenger seat out of my 97 Camry coupe and stuffed it inside somehow. Rode up into the mountains, made a bunch of bros laugh, had the most fun I’ve ever had as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
A bunch of kids in my neighborhood have those and cruise around on them. Looks like a pretty good time, I wish I had something like that when I was a kid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When I was a kid the Chinabike equivalent was those old 1960’s rupps with the pant leg eater centrifugal clutch

Modern chinabikes are much improved over those.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Sooo.....I cannot in good faith recommend the bike from the OP.

Friends keep breaking it. I mean they are a little rougher than me who babies it but still

Bat died. Replaced with a lithium bat.
Chain was junk. Stretched unevenly, eventually started knocking as it was out of spec. Replaced with a quality DID chain.
Headlight blew from friends loving around kill switching each other. Upon pulling the light, it is not weather sealed at all. Circuit boards with soldered leds exposed to elements. New one is sealed.
A larger friend just somehow managed to crush the back light wiring through the seat. Also the locking mechanism cable popped so I ruined the seat getting it off. The seat was junk anyway.
A friend broke the shifting linkage clean off the bike. Junk metal. Replaced.
Stator cover replaced, vibrated off.
Shift lever tension spring snapped.
I am seeing in the Facebook groups footpegs snapping off. I am cringing when friends stand on the footpegs, I warned everyone.

The timing chain tensioner is kinda junk. It has skipped a tooth once or twice. The bike also seems to ship with the cam retarded a tooth.

Throttle cable nippe slid off. Left a friend stranded. Raised the idle and putted it home. Soldered up a new cable.

The bike says it has 8000 miles on it, but that's only because the speedo reads 140mph randomly. It has maybe 2500. Adjusted valves once uneventfully.

I don't know, eventually the bike will not have any stock parts left on it as they keep breaking.

When the engine blows it's either getting a zs190 or daytona anima. I probably won't even bother doing piston rings which I am hearing will be needed around 6k.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 27, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How much more until you've spent as much as a new Grom (MSPR, not apocalypse pricing)?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I mean, yeah, exactly.
At the end of the day all the parts are cheap to replace. Like the throttle cable was :10bux:, the headlight is a knockoff msx125 one off aliexpress for $40 that may or may not burn out again. I had to buy two 15 dollar shifters to find one that cleared the crank case.

Research takes hours, as it is a bike that does not really exist as a supported model or brand. If i was to get parts from the dealer I am sure they are getting them off dismantled china bikes and upcharging 400%.

It's my time I am wasting.

I could stop letting friends on it, but the whole point was to try to get people on bikes. So far 4 people have gotten or are getting bikes because they enjoyed riding.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Sorry to hear, but thanks for the writeup.
As a fan of dirt cheap small bikes I was hoping that thing would work out better. There are a couple YouTube guys that have (supposedly) good luck with them, a guy named MotoCheez specifically, but I've always been a little wary. But man, 1500 is almost impulse purchase territory...

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Goodbye engine mount bolt. Snapped on a ride.

Weld on the exhaust failed as it was holding up the engine more or less.

1500 is impulse purchase territory. Kind of dangerous but don't worry because there are failsafes like structural exhaust pipes.

Two engine mount bolts too. It was riding and sounding horrible. Not sure how my friend did not notice.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 11, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Exhaust as a stressed member. Nice

Load bearing exhaust

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Load bearing exhaust

New thread title?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I managed to weld the pipe back together. Taking a TIG class next month, sheesh.

Wasn't in a rush to put it back together. Did a vinyl set and put on Grom fairings.

The internet swears by removing the EGR valve and blocking off the port on these bikes. I did so and the carb tune was massively thrown off. Way richer idle, somewhat richer wot, enough to stall the bike.
Went fron 12:1 afr on idle to 7:1, 13:1 wot to 10:1. I am guessing my EGR valve was somehow causing a massive vacuum leak that I tuned around prior. Junk. Waiting on new jets, I don't have small enough pilot jets. It is running like poo poo.

I rerouted the fuel lines in a way to facilitate the eventual EFI conversion. Eventually throwing a daytona 190 engine in and it will have few stock parts left on it.

Edit: The internet is dumb. It probably is not an EGR valve, but an an aspirated air injection valve\SAI valce which sucks in fresh air into the exhaust, it doesn't put exhaust into the intake like an EGR. Makes sense why the o2 sensor is reading rich. It's no longer getting fresh air at idle. The valve helps the cat stay clean by having more o2 to function.

It's running fine now, something was wrong with the air filter I put on

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 2, 2022

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Was riding, back tire locked up momentarily then released, bike lost all power and sounded terrible. Pulled over. Storytime.

Damage report....
Immediately notice the chain hopped the rear sprocket and has metal filings on it

And I notice the front drive sprocket looks a bit far out, and the chain is hitting the guard

Not road worthy.
Uber home. Grab my bike carrier. Drive back.

Initial thought is either my final drive gearbox got fubared or kush drive blew up.

Get it home and start ripping it apart

https://imgur.com/a/BkYTiYm

Kush drive did blow up, what else

Drive output shaft seems ok...not wiggling. But the sprocket holder is ripped off.

Final diagnosis: Probable cush drive failure, leading to cascading other failures. The DID chain is the strongest thing in the bike, so instead of a chain break, it tore threw the chain adjuster, and the sprocket bracket became load bearing for a moment after the chain hopped and that blew up.

The rear wheel locked for a moment while the bike chewed itself up but didn't crash. Was doing maybe 35-40mph.

The other side of the hub...the bearing is blown up and also rusted, and there's some stuck collet so I can't even press it out. The bearing looks standard but the other parts do not.

Not worth trying to fix, probably wouldn't be successful IMO. Ordered Grom wheel\hub\axle\etc to replace.

List of things DID chain is stronger than:
Chain adjuster
Drive Sprocket bracket
Cush drive
Literal rear axle is bent
Brake pad also exploded when the wheel cocked, bent the backing bracket
M8 metric 12.9 grade engine mount bolt

DID chain strong as hell jesus.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 23, 2023

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Wasn't in a rush to put it back together. Did a vinyl set and put on Grom fairings.

I love the wrap, that looks awesome.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Strife posted:

I love the wrap, that looks awesome.

Lol thanks.
I love the thing, it is easy to work on. I wish it didn't have to be worked on. 🤣
I am going to raise it an inch and a half, change the rear set and tires, replace the kush drive and rear wheel with Grom parts. Possibly different swingarm. Might start whipping it at local go kart tracks.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

That wrap looks like a direct copy of an Arai helmet paintjob by Drudi:

The helmet even has the same red/pink carp on the back side. The helmet paintjob is a homage to Hokusai's 18th-century "Great wave off Kanagawa" woodblock print and other Japanese motifs.
But yeah, looks good on the bike.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

You need to get that helmet now.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
They dropped the price of these to 900 on a few sites if anyone else wants to try their luck 🤣🤣
Definitely change out the chain, lube and tighten everything and give it a good inspection. You can replace the cush drive insert day 1 with grom...

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I don’t think I would ever buy one of those but if I had a little more time, money, and mechanical knowledge/skill I would buy one of those little CSC 250s to ride around town on.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
The grom hub oozes quality engineering.

Dust caps on both sides, o ring seal around the kush drive

Bd125-10 hub has no dust caps, exposed bearings on both sides, unsealed spacers.

Everything seems to line up right, Grom wheel, Grom hub, Grom axle, Grom spacers, etc

And we're back in business.

This is now like 40% Grom parts or a mismash of aftermarket things to replace things that failed

I also flushed the brake fluid as I had to compress the caliper to get the wheel on, maybe the brake didn't align perfectly where it was, but it's square and seems fine.

No strange noises, everything seems to be moving smooth.

I did my first tire swap with tire irons. Was not fun.

I am probably getting a Kayo TT140 tomorrow. Will post trip report. Supposedly it is a better China bike.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 6, 2023

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I did my first tire swap with tire irons. Was not fun.

I shed tears of frustration the first few times I changes tyres manually, and then I started leaving my new tyres next to a heater before levering them on. Night and loving day difference. So much easier my god.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

prukinski posted:

I shed tears of frustration the first few times I changes tyres manually, and then I started leaving my new tyres next to a heater before levering them on. Night and loving day difference. So much easier my god.

I am gonna have to try that. My annoyance is the lack of a good clean workspace. I am throwing cardboard down on the driveway or doing it in the grass. It's good to be able to do it in a pinch...I am on the fence if I want to invest in better tooling or continue to do it. A local shop does it for 30/tire and I live next to the shop.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I also just got a Kayo TT140 for learning dirtbike riding at an ATV park without breaking myself or my Versys D 300.

https://imgur.com/a/A3QWhgM

Specs: 160 lbs, 140cc, 17 in front tire, 14 back. It is a large pit bike, or a small trail bike.

Good things: Name brand brakes, steel braided brake lines, very thick discs, oil cooler, 4 point engine mount, light. The fairings appear to be a flexible polypropylene and look great. Over 10 inches of ground clearance. Nibbi carb, branded for Kayo. Good amount of suspension clearance.

Ok things: The suspension is a bit soft for an adult, but not bad. Rebound is not bouncy. It feels pretty decent for a dirt oriented bike. The shifter is meh. The clutch is meh. $2700 after fees, tax. Mediocre looking welding but looks solid, I've seen just as bad on liter Honda bikes.

Questionable things: The rims don't look so tough. The wheel bearings are kind of exposed but look easy to replace.

I expect that none of the problems of the Baodiao will apply, because of the extra engine mounts, different drive train.

Things I expect to break: Wheels, shifter. Not so much that I am going to proactively replace right now.

The bikes are only sold through dealers, US parts available, dealers will work on them. There is nothing I feel I need to mess with. May be going to ATV park again this weekend, will try to get some coverage.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 6, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I honestly don't understand why you bought that over a TTR125L at that price point. I looked the other day when you asked about this, and there was one with a YZ80 front end for like $2200. I see one for sale now for $1400. Anyway, hopefully it fares better than the increasingly genuine Grom clone :cool: That thing looks like it desperately needs a bash plate.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Toe Rag posted:

I honestly don't understand why you bought that over a TTR125L at that price point. I looked the other day when you asked about this, and there was one with a YZ80 front end for like $2200. I see one for sale now for $1400. Anyway, hopefully it fares better than the increasingly genuine Grom clone :cool: That thing looks like it desperately needs a bash plate.

Hm, here the lowest they go is 2k for an over 10 year old bike, 4k new. YZ80 has better suspension, right? I did look...that and the KLX140RL. I didn't want to spend more than 3k and wanted something newish, and also wanted something quickly because people want to go dirtbiking and I was growing increasingly uncomfortable doing that on the Versys.

The Kayo does have a bash plate, though kinda small.

At this point I am so familiar with these style bikes...I am pretty fast working on them..15 minute valve adjustments...fairings on and off in 20...drop engine 30...I don't have to look up how to-s or do research. Huge range of crate engines available with no weird adapting needed.

Side note, the Honda Grom hub and kush feels amazing. 😂

I want to raise the Baodiao a little, change the fork oil, and take it to kart tracks. Probably put some Kenda KD2 tires on.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 7, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcbtZcQEMfE

My buddy got a Kayo mini GP track bike. It has GP shifting, fiberglass fairings, no kickstand. The engine is not one I have seen, 150cc. Feels actually quality.

We were loving around in a parking lot today.

Kayo actually seems pretty solid compared to the Baodiao\Boom. There is a massive price difference.

The MiniGP bike feels like a sport bike, in regards to the geometry, braking, etc. It feels like a good way to practice body positioning and track stuff on a cheaper bike. Also, it's feasible to ride and have fun at a go kart track whereas a 600rr might be annoying.

Sheesh. Kinda want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVH1FkTDhHo

I probably should just throw the Vader bike out. It's dangerous, I don't think I'd sell it...sounds like a way to get sued. The damage on the engine isn't from me with tools, it's from when the engine bolt snapped off once and the chain jumped and tore off the sprocket.

The lower engine mount bolt snapped again. Was riding home, then the foot peg snapped off the rearset. Made it home riding pretty silly with one leg up on the gas tank. I've tried running the chain looser than usual. The design is poo poo. The engine itself and the mount has hollowed out from vibration which just makes it snap faster.

I hacked on a CRF50 cradle mount and a chain roller. M10 bolts. The bike has way less vibration, now 3 point mounted, with 4 bolts in the engine below. Everything lined up right, and the engine does support a cradle mount, but I did have to drill a new hole in the frame for the mount plus one for the chain roller. Now I am running the chain a little looser than before. Now the frame would fold before the engine mount breaks.

The Kayo has been fine.

The Boom Vader is just junk. For the moment I borrowed a foot peg off the passenger side.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 13, 2023