Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another stream going on, this time focusing on the Werms.
https://twitch.tv/relicentertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Turns out they're releasing this on console also
https://twitter.com/CompanyOfHeroes/status/1601049268449837056?t=xfC3gZ6eGdRbdAZ47tbLxg&s=19

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Waste of time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Buying it on Xbox and plugging in a keyboard and mouse just to flex

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If I hadn't already played the beta which was very good I would be worried but eh, go for it I guess.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I did a "GPR" for CoH2 and now I think I like Steel Division II better. I bet you'll have to pay several bucks for any unit each time you deploy it; beyond basic rifles.

https://crzysdrs.net/dv/victim/443-and-now-it-is-time-for-the-glorious-peoples-reinstall/

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Multiplayer tech test is live on Steam. I believe it's an open beta MP test so have at it!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yup, it's also got all the factions/divisions available on launch.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It seems very, uhh, dim. Might be something on my end I guess, I've been cranking the brightness but it's still very muted

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So they still haven't updated the graphics yet? Playing the tutorial mission, everything still looks like a high altitude video of the middle of the desert at high noon, with almost no shadows and everything looking super flat and featureless.

Seems like there's still a lot of placeholder UI elements too, like the flag capture marker.

Fuligin posted:

It seems very, uhh, dim. Might be something on my end I guess, I've been cranking the brightness but it's still very muted

I'm surprised, I am the complete opposite, and normally i need to turn brightness up for my monitor. I sent it down to zero percent and it still looked way too bright and washed out, although it did help a bit.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 12, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Played a round with a friend, the AI Does Not gently caress Around but we rallied around and beat the poo poo out of the Nazis. Everything feels pretty good though I think vehicles are still way too zippy. I played US Armored and found out that they do not have access to crewed heavy weapons so I was floundering a bit until I called in my SPGs and got more than one bazooka squad in, very sloppy of me but it was cool to find out that your core lineup might be a lot smaller than you think and thus you'll need to actually play your company's gimmick.

Also, for those multiplayer-shy folk, while co-op matchmaking needs a party of 2 minimum, you can still create a custom game and do a 1v1 against the AI. I didn't check but you could probably also pick an easier diff AI if you want, since the standard diff is kind of a bastard when it comes to flanking.

EDIT: FWIW the heavier AT option for armored company that isn't your first seems to be a halftrack with a 75mm, and of course you do have the usual halftracks with .50s. So yeah, the cavalry boys get their support weapons in the form of vehicles vs crewed guns for the other companies.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 12, 2023

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CuddleCryptid posted:

So they still haven't updated the graphics yet? Playing the tutorial mission, everything still looks like a high altitude video of the middle of the desert at high noon, with almost no shadows and everything looking super flat and featureless.

Seems like there's still a lot of placeholder UI elements too, like the flag capture marker.

I'm surprised, I am the complete opposite, and normally i need to turn brightness up for my monitor. I sent it down to zero percent and it still looked way too bright and washed out, although it did help a bit.

yeah i'm sure it's a bug or its trying to run my monitor in HDR or something.

As for the gameplay itself, so far I like it, though I agree vehicles feel too fast and floaty. And apart from whatever brightness issues im having, the visual effects are kinda wimpy

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This feels..disappointing? Had to put a thumb on why, but something doesn't feel right.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The gun sounds are definitely very weak compared to the booming sounds of the previous games

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I watched some streams and it seems closer to coh1 than coh2 which is good. But it also seems a little ugly? I hope it was just the streamer I was watching but the game looks nearly the same as the original from the clips I watched but with maybe worse lighting

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The gun sounds are definitely very weak compared to the booming sounds of the previous games

Yeah the HMG is where it really shows through. The current guns sound like the needle gun from Team Fortress 2. The Russian HMG in CoH2 was the same way but the others were fine.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CitizenKain posted:

This feels..disappointing? Had to put a thumb on why, but something doesn't feel right.

Feels like we are playing a CoH 1 DLC? I agree with everyone here who is saying the sound just seems weaksauce and the graphics feel dated. Like the textures aren't crisp or something.

edit: Is everyone else locked to 60fps? My options are greyed out but my CPU and GPU are nowhere near stressed.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

CuddleCryptid posted:

coh3 is a land of contrasts, or lack thereof

i played a bit and yeah it seems weird as hell, doesn't have the same crispness or weight in animations and sound that coh had. also laughing at the voice line profanity filter option

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No cursing in my murder game

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I logged into multi-player, started a map, and when we started playing I said "hello" to my teammates. Which then got caught by the profanity filter for having "hell" in it.

Another thing about the maps, do they seem super barren? It's more obvious in the tutorial where the map is like two barrels and a bush per square kilometer but I was holding a victory point down on the side of the map and going "goddamm there is just nothing here". Previous games had tons of low fences, stone walls, artillery scars, all kinds of stuff running all over the place. Here it just seems like a loooot of wide open fields.

E. According to the Steam forums it looks like Relic locked the graphics at low, and you can manually change it to help. I won't be able to test this til tonight but some have said it helped a lot.

quote:

Fix for Graphics Settings

Hi there, after digging through the config files, I've found a way to fix your graphics settings being locked by Relic!

Navigate to Game Directory (Right Click, Properties, Browse Local Files)

Open sysconfig.lua

Change all instances of canOverrideDefault = true to canOverrideDefault = false Change setting = "TextureDetail", variantUInit = 3" to setting = "TextureDetail, variantUInt = x"

Open C:/Users/<username>/Documents/My Games/Company of Heroes 3 - Playtest

Open configuration_system.lua

Change line 78: variantUInt = 3 to variantUInt = x

Where x is the value of the desired graphics setting.
For the TextureDetail variable, it is very unintuitively backwards, so

{ setting = "texturedetail", variantUInt = 3, version = 1, },

would equal "minimum" graphics settings, while a value of 0 would be the highest graphics settings.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 12, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah those settings changes did help, and the game actually runs better with higher settings on my machine.

Overall I like it so far. Infantry seem a bit squishier against tanks, which is a good change IMO. Units also bunch up more, making specials like grenades more potent.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfH...nt=share_button

A post on reddit about contrast hierarchy and why the graphics might seem 'off' to some people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MikeC posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfH...nt=share_button

A post on reddit about contrast hierarchy and why the graphics might seem 'off' to some people.

That's a really good post. I said it on their forums too but it really isn't just a visual issue, it comes down to a gameplay issue. Since everything looks the same it all blurs together and it actually causes some serious issues with parsing what is going on for the maps. I just hope it's fixed in the final version alongside the placeholder icons.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm also having some visual issues with the game. It doesn't look particularly good or even better than their previous games but for some reason the performance on it is very bad, I get frequent frame drops and it even just feels sluggish to pan the camera around sometimes.

That being said it's kind of my only complaint at the moment. I really appreciate some of the newer QoL changes. Like auto reinforcing squads, it's just a no brainer. I love that I don't have to dedicate a part of my brain to that anymore and can just focus more on the battles.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I played the campaign beta awhile back and enjoyed the game.

Was watching a Twitch stream yesterday and I thought to myself "if I didn't know I was watching COH3 I would have believed this was COH1". Hopefully they can polish up the graphics to some degree before (or even after) launch but I enjoyed the campaign when I played it that I'm still in for it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Any goon discord or other hangouts for this game? 9407552 friend code on steam if you want to do comp stomps or test 1 v 1 or something.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The graphics and overall art is so bad it’s unbelievable they actually spent time on it, just to recreate some assets from coh1 and 2 and have it look worse. I love coh1 and 2, and the idea of a total war style map is awesome. But good lord they should have literally just copied assets (visual and sound) from the first two games, been totally honest about that and then put 100% of their time into making the overworld campaign.

That post on their forums about visual design is such a scathing blasting of their art direction, which is warranted. It’s like they hit up the unreal asset store to buy models and textures.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Sometimes I remember playing COH 1 and how great it was until they hosed it up with the expansion packs and cry. I'm old enough to remember the beta, back when barbed wire trapped tanks and other vehicles...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Janissary Hop posted:

Sometimes I remember playing COH 1 and how great it was until they hosed it up with the expansion packs and cry. I'm old enough to remember the beta, back when barbed wire trapped tanks and other vehicles...

PE and Brits weren't that bad, it was mainly the dumb units from Tales of Valor like the Staghound that really hosed it up. Them trying to cash in on the free-to-play craze with Company of Heroes Online led to some truly hilarious poo poo though.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Janissary Hop posted:

I liked the expansion a lot. Played a lot of PE on multiplayer. Blobbing with Mp44 Assault grens was kinda stupid though. I always justified it as payback for US player sniping my guys with M3s.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Captain Beans posted:

The graphics and overall art is so bad it’s unbelievable they actually spent time on it, just to recreate some assets from coh1 and 2 and have it look worse. I love coh1 and 2, and the idea of a total war style map is awesome. But good lord they should have literally just copied assets (visual and sound) from the first two games, been totally honest about that and then put 100% of their time into making the overworld campaign.

That post on their forums about visual design is such a scathing blasting of their art direction, which is warranted. It’s like they hit up the unreal asset store to buy models and textures.

link this post pls i agree completely

Janissary Hop posted:

its been a decade+ the bangbussy shouldn't still be raising my blood pressure :negative:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh god I forgot all about the loving Kangaroo

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, not sure what's going on with the gun sound, it's really quiet when in CoH2 they boasted that all the small arms sound are recorded from real guns and they are all loud as gently caress.

I like that infantry are somewhat more agile, able to jump over fences automatically if that's faster. And apparently you can assault buildings now. I was forced to play the tutorial and Relic's in-engine cut-scene is still as terrible as ever...two lines of guys and tanks shooting at each other from 5 feet apart that presentation just feel early 2000. I like how a lot of basic units have some free to use ability now. Scout vehicle like bikes and jeep can be decrewed and re-manned. Vehicle and AT both seems to come out earlier if you want to go for it. There's reinforcement overwatch now, that's good.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/10alr32/turn_anti_aliasing_off_for_better_unit_clarity_in/

In-game setting visual clarity fix (maybe?) Will have to test it myself tommorrow.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I think you guys are remembering the first two games with rose-tinted glasses thick as my thigh. They look nasty now, especially texture-wise.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
How's the Voice Acting?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tankbuster posted:

How's the Voice Acting?

it's good, it has a lot more character than CoH2 had and is reminiscent of the good old days of CoH1 (although nothing has yet stuck in my mind like "Jesus, Conrad, tie your loving laces!")

so far this feels like a variant of CoH1 and I say that as a positive. I like the breadth of options and potential strategies around midgame unit choices and the battlegroups seem decent (they have more identity than CoH2's bland poo poo doctrines). Graphically... I'm running it on Low and it looks pretty much the same as CoH1 on max settings, but I don't particularly care about the graphics and it runs well for me, so that's a plus. The initial Alpha they put out ran like garbage and played like it too so I was expecting not to like this at all but I'm really pleasantly surprised and will probably pick this up on release.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Me, an almost entirely SP campaign-only player for CoH1: Hey, the expansions were kick rear end! Alpha, light those assholes up!

Det_no posted:

I think you guys are remembering the first two games with rose-tinted glasses thick as my thigh. They look nasty now, especially texture-wise.

The textures weren't detailed but there is certainly something hosed up here. I mean, compare

E. So the Store page on steam still says "coming soon" for the release date. Some online have said it previously said february.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 13, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The thing about the COH games after the first one is that the original was such a game changer and everything since then has diminishing returns. Regardless of the bugged lighting/personal thoughts on the art style, COH3 technically looks a lot better than COH1, of course, with higher fidelity textures and models and some legit cool looking building destruction and vehicle scarring. But it maybe doesn't look *that* much better. Similarly, the games have received a bunch of QOL features as they've gone on that sometimes makes it hard to go back to the first one, and I'd say COH3 might have the best doctrine system of all three games, but again, it's all very iterative. At the same time, no other RTS games by other developers have really "evolved" the genre since COH1 either, and its few imitators haven't been all that good (Iron Harvest so disappointed me), and I've been having a great time actually playing this new one so roll on February.

E: The DOW2 pre-vis still sticks with me as something that would be a real step forward for the genre if it was ever actually made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzVlpUf7e5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CuddleCryptid posted:

Me, an almost entirely SP campaign-only player for CoH1: Hey, the expansions were kick rear end! Alpha, light those assholes up!

The textures weren't detailed but there is certainly something hosed up here. I mean, compare

E. So the Store page on steam still says "coming soon" for the release date. Some online have said it previously said february.
Might be map dependent because I just played on a Europe one and it doesn't look anywhere as messed up