Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah, Iron Harvest was really disappointing. I get why they made the weapon system the way that they did but the entire thing just felt paper thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I tried iron harvest briefly because alt history CoH sounded super fun, but just the way the actual fighting feels is... really not good. Everything feels far less cohesive than CoH1, which is still my gold standard for this kind of game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbh my biggest disapointment with COH3 is that it's just WW2 again. I'd have prefered a Weird War (think Wolfenstein, or IH but good) or straight up sci-fi setting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mordja posted:

Tbh my biggest disapointment with COH3 is that it's just WW2 again. I'd have prefered a Weird War (think Wolfenstein, or IH but good) or straight up sci-fi setting.

I mean that would be cool but I'm not sure why you're disappointed in something that had no chance of happening.

That's like saying you wish Starcraft was set in France during the Napoleonic Wars.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean that would be cool but I'm not sure why you're disappointed in something that had no chance of happening.

That's like saying you wish Starcraft was set in France during the Napoleonic Wars.

Otoh, you have Age of Wonders and then Age of Wonders: Planetfall. As well as Rise of Nations and then Rise of Legends. Some series actually do completely totally change up the setting

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

CuddleCryptid posted:

You must construct additional cannons!

Has there been any good videos of some matches from this section of the beta? I got too much work for the next while to dive into the game, but I'd like to see the state of things.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah COH itself was a massive change from what the platonic idea of RTS games were supposed to be.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I am so loving bad at this game. I used to mainline coh, what happened. The controls just don't jive with me yet, no tank please go backwards why are you turning around why is this squad selected I wanted the pioneers *sobs*

Looks really good so far tho, classic coh feeling, probably a day one buy for me.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
We turned into old geezers....that's what happened.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have probably 1k+ hours in the first CoH. You gotta shift click a bunch of tiny moves to make your tank reverse properly

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Am I missing a joke or do people not know about the reverse key

VVV I missed the CoH1 part in your post lol

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 13, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the joke is there was no reverse key in coh1 :v:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

CuddleCryptid posted:

Am I missing a joke or do people not know about the reverse key

VVV I missed the CoH1 part in your post lol

I did not lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AI working as expected

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 13, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of options and upgrades available. This was my big complaint with COH2 as well. My old slow brain can't handle this!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

now this looks more like the coh i know and love :allears:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ever since reading that post about lack of consistent contrast I see it in all the screenshots. Like all those tanks just blend into the terrain and it's difficult to differentiate them if they didn't have red highlights.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Played most of Sat morning. The gameplay is actually very good. Not insanely micro-intensive but does reward those who can multitask off the minimap. Vehicles are very strong but AT hard counters are also very strong and mistakes are punished rather harshly. Largely it feels like CoH 1's 4 factions prior to ToV, except Brits aren't as immobile and US ranger blob feels more like US regular infantry blob when upgraded. DAK maps well with PE with its early vehicle gameplay and weak armor options late game until you unlock killer tanks that cost only manpower through research. Wehrmarcht feels very weak. Trash infantry early on that barely competes with engineer/recon units. Maybe I just suck with them.

Popete posted:

Ever since reading that post about lack of consistent contrast I see it in all the screenshots. Like all those tanks just blend into the terrain and it's difficult to differentiate them if they didn't have red highlights.

Try the tuned settings I posted off a reddit user. Turning down brightness to like 20% and disabling anti-aliasing makes things a lot sharper and things pop out more. Desert maps are still poo poo but the Italian maps are suitably vibrant without being distracting.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, Iron Harvest was really disappointing. I get why they made the weapon system the way that they did but the entire thing just felt paper thin.

Iron Harvest was such wasted potential. The main problem was that every single goddamned unit moved slow as molasses, so you couldn’t do any interesting flanking maneuvers, or do anything interesting period. Dawn of War 2 & 3 were also terrible because Relic decided to take the dynamic gameplay of CoH and make it a MOBA. It’s amazing how many games decided “We’re making a tactical RTS like CoH except completely changing the gameplay to make it a muddled mess.” So many in fact that you still see CoH1 & 2 players decades later.

Anyways, I’m probably the only person who can’t play because I’m on Linux. Normally steam’s Proton takes care of it, but it just won’t launch. Hopefully they fix it, but if anyone has a workaround, let me know.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So what's a good endgame tank for Britain if you don't go armored for the Churchill/BP? Just spam Grants?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Mordja posted:

So what's a good endgame tank Britain if you don't go armored for the Churchill/BP? Just spam Grants?

I think you are supposed to use AT guns for most of your anti-vehicle needs. The tanks are just there to help move machine guns out of the way if you don't have mortars handy. Most tanks are ok though unless you are trying to use Stuarts late game. I finished a game with DAK where I built mostly Panzer 3s.

edit: The brits I mean. Germans can call in Tigers and poo poo which are stupid strong.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of options and upgrades available. This was my big complaint with COH2 as well. My old slow brain can't handle this!

If Relic is staying true to form you have to figure out which upgrade is actually gamechanging for the unit, which is a waste of money, and which actually makes the unit worse.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
From the streams I looked at for this game, it seems like the point of view is too close to the ground. Also the UI seems to occupy an unnecessary amount of screen space. Is it like this because they're apparently releasing a console version?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Iron Harvest has more personality and creative inspiration than Company of Heroes 3 does. fight me irl

Company of Heroes 3 isn't a bad game, still

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm a little disappointed that they changed the sides to be pretty similar to each other. Having a British team focused around hard defense while the Americans had the ability to recrew and repair with their own vehicle crews were nice mechanics that set them apart. Here it feels a lot more "do you want to call the squad upgrade for a LMG the Bren or Bar"

Yes there are a lot of differences in the small details but it certainly flattened out a lot, I assume because Brits were getting less play due to their unusual playstyle. I've been doing matches with them and I'm surprised at their build order, especially with being able to field HMGs out the gate.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Iron Harvest has more personality and creative inspiration than Company of Heroes 3 does. fight me irl

Company of Heroes 3 isn't a bad game, still

It certainly had better concept art, I don't think that could be questioned, but it only counts as creative if it actually works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Iron harvest certainy is creative but unfortunately it doesn't play very well.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

CuddleCryptid posted:

It certainly had better concept art, I don't think that could be questioned, but it only counts as creative if it actually works.

The campaign worked really well imo. Look at this bear and say Iron Harvest is bad. You can't do it.

The stealth mission and the hero units were cool and had memorable personalities.

The tutorial was super creative and well executed: teaching the game's rules with a children's snowball fight. Best tutorial of any RTS.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

The campaign worked really well imo. Look at this bear and say Iron Harvest is bad. You can't do it.

The stealth mission and the hero units were cool and had memorable personalities.

The tutorial was super creative and well executed: teaching the game's rules with a children's snowball fight. Best tutorial of any RTS.

You cannot appeal to my human heart by bearposting, I played the game too.

It had good ideas and things like the bear being in the army was a cool callback to the real life Slavic wars, but it just wasn't fun. I punched out after I believe four missions and didn't go back. The game just lacks the punchy nature of CoH and the weapon drop system is a good idea but poorly executed. In CoH you get squads picking up weapons but that's a member of their squad getting a weapon while the rest remain infantry. The way it was done in IH was more like a command and conquer style system where suddenly an entire squad switched to a new specialization, which in turn made them *bad* at other things. No "one guy in the squad has a bazooka now", it's "do you take this weapon and become useless in infantry fights", which meant that you often had to run around grabbing guns when new threats appeared to respec.

Add on the movement and weapon handling and it was just very disappointing.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
The unit responsiveness and pathing is equally as annoying between CoH 3 and Iron Harvest. It's like a half second, so dodging grenades is just as annoying as telling the Schmalwy walkers to go stomp in some other direction.

Also, the hero units are more fun than the passive command points you use to pick your tech tree and unlock stuff.

The flamethrowers in CoH 3 are more fun than the flamethrowers in Iron Harvest though. I wish CoH 3 had the medics from Iron Harvest.

edit: it'd be cool to watch Kolokols fight Chaffees in a cross-over game, a la Marvel vs Capcom.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

After playing several more 4v4 co op matches I regret to inform all of you that game good.

Yeah it has some *major* graphical and UI issues, the sound design needs a lot of work, but mechanically it's an upgrade. To copy from other posts I made elsewhere

- Movement tech has gotten a lot better, units will dynamically get over walls, follow queued capture order, move from building to building or retreat from building much better, it's all a lot smoother overall.

- Infantry AT! You can get really far with basic infantry AT now, and crewed guns are devastating. Against micro heavy players with heavier tanks it falls off, but for the midgame infantry AT can reign supreme.

- Because of this Allies aren't completely overpowered by Axis for once, lol lmao

- Brits aren't a giant pain in the rear end to play or play against, which is unfortunately because they lost some of their unique flavor but what are you going to do

- Lethality is up overall. Running a unit across a road is more deadly, and long range weapons actually feel like they're doing something against targets in on the move.

- Engineers are an actual early game unit rather than a joke, and their flamethrowers are much more effective.

- More midrange vehicles.

- Campaign mode was pretty neat in earlier betas.

- 4 v 4 vs bots is fun, and a fairly chill mode on standard difficulty. Haven't been in a situation where I was close to losing yet, which means Standard could probably be bumped up a bit but for now it's good for learning the new units and abilities.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’ve been pasted against the ai a bunch of times because I underestimate how quickly they’ll start spamming flakpanzers and light vehicles, and get overwhelmed.

But Ghurka/artillery brits is exactly my type of playstyle and I love it. Love to be able to reload hmg’s out of combat, to make them ready for future fights.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Iron Harvest only had 1 good faction, the Polanians, because the had a couple of mechs that were fast enough to do some actual maneuvers.

The biggest hint that the developers had no idea how to do gameplay was that units retreated at the same speed they walked. Tell an infantry unit to target another, and as the enemy unit dies, they retreat. Your units then follow them aaaall the way back to the enemy base, getting shot at by everything along the way, and get slaughtered by their base turrets. In CoH, retreating units book it back to base, and your units don’t chase them unless you tell them to, because it’s risky to do so. Did the Iron Harvest devs even play test their own game?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Okay after getting my poo poo kicked in all weekend I'm finally feeling like I'm getting back in the hang of things. The afrikakorps is quite fun to play and works much better than the US for me. I'm pretty stoked for the full release.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am curious about the tech-creep for post-release doctrines, like whether the Germans are gonna get stuffed to the gills with annoying Wunderwaffen like the Elefant and KT again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Played with it a bit, I don't think I like it honestly. It feels very much like a step more along the coh1>coh2 line, and I didn't like coh2 very much at all.

Contrary to the above post I find lethality to be very bad, vehicles especially are extremely mobile and durable, feels like I'm playing a ww2 themed version of warcraft 3.

Also jesus wept the camera is terrible, why is it so zoomed in? I can barely see what is happening. They did this in CoH 2 as well, no idea why they're so obsessed with not letting you zoom the camera out to be able to actually see things.

E: yeah christ this is just absolutely awful to play, all the worst parts of the change from coh1 to 2 except moreso.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 15, 2023

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
yeah the zoomed in camera definitely helps highlight some of the weird visuals. if we're zoomed in this much at least let us see conrad's laces for fucks sake

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

Played with it a bit, I don't think I like it honestly. It feels very much like a step more along the coh1>coh2 line, and I didn't like coh2 very much at all.

Contrary to the above post I find lethality to be very bad, vehicles especially are extremely mobile and durable, feels like I'm playing a ww2 themed version of warcraft 3.

Also jesus wept the camera is terrible, why is it so zoomed in? I can barely see what is happening. They did this in CoH 2 as well, no idea why they're so obsessed with not letting you zoom the camera out to be able to actually see things.

E: yeah christ this is just absolutely awful to play, all the worst parts of the change from coh1 to 2 except moreso.

My zoom level feels comparable to CoH1 from memory and from just pulling up random youtube videos. I haven't had too much trouble with it. Not sure what you mean about vehicles being hard to kill. Your standard AT grenade from any faction is enough to take anywhere between 25% to 40% of a light vehicle's health along with crew shock and or engine damage debuff. If you have AT rifles or zooks that's all she wrote. Certainly, a light vehicle can't trade with an infantry squad with light AT weapons and a tank definitely cannot sit in front of an AT gun for any period of time. You are of course free to like whatever you like.

My main concern is the lack of players. You have to sit for 3 to 5 minutes for a 1 v 1 or 2 v 2. I know its a beta but this doesn't bode well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a sherman charge directly at an emplaced flak 36 and destroy it by driving around it and shooting it. The AT guns are signficiantly less lethal than CoH1. Same with infantry, they will happily run directly up to your sandbags and sit on the other side of them and wipe out your infantry that are supposed to be defending them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

I had a sherman charge directly at an emplaced flak 36 and destroy it by driving around it and shooting it. The AT guns are signficiantly less lethal than CoH1. Same with infantry, they will happily run directly up to your sandbags and sit on the other side of them and wipe out your infantry that are supposed to be defending them.

That's always been the case though, even in CoH 1. I definitely recall driving circles in my Panzer 4 around unsupported AT guns many times in ladder play. The counter is to make sure you have backup infantry to toss AT grenades and to get mobility hits so the AT gun can do its job. There is no way opposing infantry can cross the open under fire and flank your dudes and still win the trade unless your infantry isn't on the same tier or they are using end-game infantry with submachine guns and you still have basic dudes with no weapon upgrades. CoH 1 had this problem too with US ranger blob and PE Assault Gren blobbing being big parts of the meta. You needed machine guns to provide suppression. The series has always been about interlocking units.

It is likely you have some rose-colored glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Game seems good from the test, enough to confirm to myself that I'll pick it up if nothing else. Really glad those contrast posts were shared though because the game looks ghastly and I couldn't put my finger on why until then.