Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm going to assume this has an ending-ending and it's not going to do the KH3 thing where it sets up an expanded universe or a crossover

the first twewy ended really well and if i'm going to wade back into this i'd like that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So does wearing different clothing/accessories actually alter your appearance at all in this game? Also, how long do you have to play until you get the Garage Sale/ShibuPay options?

Also does the game take place over the course of 3 weeks like the first one did or is it more/less than that this time?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

So does wearing different clothing/accessories actually alter your appearance at all in this game? Also, how long do you have to play until you get the Garage Sale/ShibuPay options?

Threads do not alter your appearance, no. Garage Sale can be unlocked on Day 4, and ShibuPay Autoload can be unlocked on Day 5.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i'm going to assume this has an ending-ending and it's not going to do the KH3 thing where it sets up an expanded universe or a crossover

the first twewy ended really well and if i'm going to wade back into this i'd like that again

Later KH stuff seemed pretty clear on there not being a crossover, it just got very meta. So I really doubt there is going to be a crossover with KH or anything.

Larryb posted:

Also does the game take place over the course of 3 weeks like the first one did or is it more/less than that this time?

Can we keep any questions related to NEO spoilers to like pms or something? Like even asking about mechanics or whatever is iffy but asking how many weeks the game lasts is kinda far imo. Just search for the leaks or something if you need that info.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t see how just saying how long the game is spoils anything significant but fair enough.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you're just looking for length, the devs have said in interviews that 100% completion is about 100 hours long which i'm betting is an exaggeration but it seems like a decently long game.

Asking how many weeks though just feels like getting too into the specifics, like if there's a twist and we get an extra week or whatever you'd know that something is coming. Though maybe i'm thinking too hard on it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you're just looking for length, the devs have said in interviews that 100% completion is about 100 hours long which i'm betting is an exaggeration but it seems like a decently long game.

Asking how many weeks though just feels like getting too into the specifics, like if there's a twist and we get an extra week or whatever you'd know that something is coming. Though maybe i'm thinking too hard on it.

Yeah but just knowing how many weeks the game takes place over doesn’t actually spoil any story details (as in, you still don’t know what happens during those days or why the characters get an additional week or so)

But if even that’s too much of a spoiler for you then I gladly withdraw the question

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 22, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If that's including stuff like filling out every enemy's drop list, getting every pin, etc the first TWEWY probably took around 100 hours to 100% too, so I could see that being fairly accurate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

If that's including stuff like filling out every enemy's drop list, getting every pin, etc the first TWEWY probably took around 100 hours to 100% too, so I could see that being fairly accurate.

Not to mention there’s probably going to be some postgame chapters like the first one had.

I wonder if Square plans on turning TWEWY into its own franchise or if NEO will have a fairly conclusive ending like the original did (though those two points aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if you preordered NEO can you play it early then? Because I just turned on my PS4 and the game started installing for me.

Edit: Seems like it’s just an early download, the timer underneath the icon still says 1 day 9 hr

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 25, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Not much longer.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

First batch of reviews are out and seem largely positive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Virtue posted:

Not shocked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Virtue posted:

No surprise there, I was impressed by the demo at the very least (the combat seemed a bit easy to me but from what I hear that changes real fast)

I actually wouldn't mind Square turning this into a new franchise provided they could make it work.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
For those of you have have it preloaded it looks like there is a day one patch that was just released so you might want to make sure you have it downloaded if you want to play as soon as it unlocks

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think those ultimate attacks for when Groove hits 100% is dependent on the element of the pin that boosted it to 100%. So if you activate it with Fret using the Pyrokinesis pin, you get the giant meteor, but if you activate it with Rindo using Force Rounds you get the rain of spikey energy thingies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Drashin posted:

For those of you have have it preloaded it looks like there is a day one patch that was just released so you might want to make sure you have it downloaded if you want to play as soon as it unlocks

Judging by the timer the game should be playable by 11 PM tonight for those that preordered it (you apparently get some pretty decent pins as a bonus for doing so as well) but good to know.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The day 1 patch is actually kinda significant, it contains three major balance changes (one of which appears to have been the result of a bugfix, but still). I've never seen anything like it before.

Not to spoil much but one of the balance changes fixes a pretty big criticism I had while playing the unpatched version, so I'm glad the vast majority of people who will play NEO don't have to put up with that.

Rea fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

The day 1 patch is actually kinda significant, it contains three major balance changes (one of which appears to have been the result of a bugfix, but still). I've never seen anything like it before.

Not to spoil much but one of the balance changes fixes a pretty significant criticism I had while playing the unpatched version, so I'm glad the vast majority of people who will play NEO don't have to put up with that.

To be fair, if it’s a day one patch then most people aren’t going to know said bugs/balance issues were there to begin with so is it something you can put in vague terms? Like, was it a particularly annoying mission/enemy type/boss or something that got changed/removed by the patch?

If you can’t explain without spoiling something major then nevermind of course

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 27, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

To be fair, if it’s a day one patch then most people aren’t going to know said bugs/balance issues were there to begin with so unless it’s a story spoiler what got changed? Was there a particularly annoying enemy type/boss or something?

If it is a story spoiler then nevermind of course unless you can be vague about it.

It's a mechanic discussed in a presskit well beforehand, so I don't feel bad discussing it.

Scramble Slams were loving miserable before this patch. Not necessarily to just power through and get over with, but getting the rewards on your first go around—something the game very much expects that you can do—was goddamn impossible in the unpatched version. You just didn't get enough points per battle without having to, I'm not kidding, deliberately equip low-power pins so you can continually get SP off of doing beatdrops. On the first one especially you just don't have enough opportunities to earn SP without sandbagging hard. It was bizarre and counterintuitive and BAD.

To be clear, Scramble Points are things you get from doing battle either with rival team groups, or with Turf Noise groups. They're also active in any battles you chain together with a rival team group or Turf Noise. You get them by dealing damage to enemies, erasing enemies, and by getting beatdrops. Getting beatdrops increases your combo modifier, which increases the amount of SP you get from any of those things. One Noise per battle is marked as a bonus Noise, which multiplies all SP gained from it by 3x, on top of your combo modifier.

The patch fixes things by vastly increasing the max SP combo modifier (to 5x from 2x) and the rate at which you gain combo modifiers (to 0.4x per combo action from 0.1x). To compensate, they removed the bonus based on your current Groove, and the bonus for rare Noise groups, but those are small potatoes compared to being able to consistently get higher amounts of SP. You also just generally get 5% more SP for dealing damage than you did in the unpatched game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That does sound annoying I’ll admit. I assume Scramble Slams are also mandatory more often than not?

So if you’re just doing the main story from beginning to end and not caring about 100% completion, roughly how long should this game take you to finish in terms of overall hours? About as long as the first one did?

Also do they ever implement some sort of fast travel system or do you still have to run all over the city (or cities as the case may be considering we see more than one set of Reapers in the trailer) every in-game day to get where you need to go?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 27, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

That does sound annoying I’ll admit. I assume Scramble Slams are also mandatory more often than not?

So if you’re just doing the main story from beginning to end and not caring about 100% completion, roughly how long should this game take you to finish in terms of overall hours? About as long as the first one did?

Also do they ever implement some sort of fast travel system or do you still have to run all over the city (or cities as the case may be considering we see more than one set of Reapers in the trailer) every in-game day to get where you need to go?

Scramble Slams are mandatory, getting the rewards for them is not. You can get through them doing the absolute minimum, you just won't get any rewards.

I'd put my final story clear time at...40? 50 hours? I wasn't keeping track.

You still have to walk around Shibuya to get everywhere, yes. No fast travel.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I guess the one thing I'm worried about this game lacking is it's predecessor's thematic depth.

Like, on the surface, the original The World Ends With You was an interesting urban fantasy story that was pretty lean and tight, all things considered.

But like, TWEWY, for all it's setting is interesting and mysterious, isn't really about the UG, or the Reapers and their game. It's about Neku's growing out of his immature, self-absorbed loner mindset, and opening his world to others.

And this one, from what I've seen, is leaning more into being about the actual mechanics of the UG and Reapers? I'm not saying that it's a bad choice or that NEO won't be good and fun, just that I wonder if the devs were kind of missing the point about what made the original's story so good.

I could be wrong, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean this is by a lot of the same devs I think? So it's not just people trying to capture the essence of the original without having had a hand in what actually made it great or anything. And even the original Twewy also had a lot of its plot steeped in the mechanics of the UG and the reapers and all that.

Not that all that means Neo will definitely be as good as the 1st game, but I don't think those are exactly warning signs or anything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Time to check if it's playable. Talk to you guys about the game soon.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you don't want me to grind then you shouldn't make the combat so fun!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
After all the open world type RPGS I’ve been playing I really appreciate TWEWY just letting you make yourself weaker for more swag. Was a good idea then, would be a phenomenal idea now.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I super wish more rpgs just let you adjust your level down like this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Day 4 and Nagi is a weirdo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Now that the game is officially out, I assume there’s some postgame stuff after the story like the first one so couple questions:

1: Do you need to do anything special to unlock it or is it just given to you after beating the game ala Another Day (I mostly ask because if there’s some extra busywork to be done I’d like to be aware of it long beforehand)?

Also does the game give you the option to start anywhere in the story after you beat it the first time like the OG did?

2: Is it worth doing unless you’re a completionist?

Game seems fun so far though and those extra threads you get as a preorder bonus are pretty decent to be honest. Also I’m glad there doesn’t seem to be a restriction on what threads/armor you wear this time around.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 27, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I played a good amount today and i'm starting to see the teeth of the combat system. The enemies are still pretty simple but on hard some of the stronger noise like the Sharks or Scorpions can tear you to pieces in seconds if they tag you and the scoprions have huge range and poison as well. Still on the easier side so far but I can see how they can make these fights pretty hard.

Game's pretty fun so far imo. Seems like most of the 1st week is still basically prologue mode and the training wheels aren't quite off yet but the game's got good presentation, a fun cast, a great soundtrack and good combat. I'm really glad to be playing a new Twewy game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1419676537981480972

Here's the reviews if anyone cares.

So I got into TWEWY via the anime, then watched the cutscenes for the extra episode from the Switch port. Enjoyable but I could really tell it was a truncated experience vs actually playing it. I figured that I'd leave NEO in the backburner since Great Ace Attorney Chronicles was the same day... but just touching the demo made it day 1 for sure. Spent yesterday grinding and then redoing the boss from the demo so I can jump right back in. Soon as gamestop opens in forty seven minutes I'm picking up my copy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also does the game give you the option to start anywhere in the story after you beat it the first time like the OG did?

You don't even have to beat the game, you get the option to go back to any previous day halfway through week 1.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Terper posted:

You don't even have to beat the game, you get the option to go back to any previous day halfway through week 1.

Neat, so how many weeks are there this time (spoiler tag it if you have to)?

Edit: According to the achievement list there’s 3 weeks just like the last game and this apparently even has its own Another Day as well

Also how soon do you get the ability to change the difficulty and where’s the patch that was mentioned earlier (I never got any update notification)?

I kind of wish there was an ability to skip cutscenes so I didn’t have to sit through the scenes at the end of the demo again though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 27, 2021

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
For the patch make sure your version number is 1.01. As for the difficulty you get access to it on if I recall correctly the fourth day when you unlock side quests you can get both Easy and Hard unlocked though Ultimate is probably postgame again. I also found another change that the patch has done (spoiler for a later party member and their ability) Before the patch every time you teleported it showed a flash of the character activating the ability but now once you do it the first time every subsequent one you just teleport.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those who got it early and finished already, what’s this game’s Another Day like and is it worth playing?

Also is that it in terms of postgame content aside from Noise collection/possible secret reports or is there a secret mode and/or ending you have to unlock through some means?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 27, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So how do I change the difficulty? I keep pressing the touchpad to bring up the menu but I can't change it? I figured it was just a demo thing but I still can't

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
e: i'm a dumbass and misread lmao

Rea fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 27, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

So how do I change the difficulty? I keep pressing the touchpad to bring up the menu but I can't change it? I figured it was just a demo thing but I still can't

You need to unlock it, don't worry you cant miss it, they just give you access to the menu before you can use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

You need to unlock it, don't worry you cant miss it, they just give you access to the menu before you can use it.

Gotcha, thanks