Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm on day 7 and the text messages are the funniest thing so far, me* got the biggest chortle just because I'm tired and it just hit me.

Only thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out how pins get assigned. It only let me use 2 charges and 1 distance and 1 melee and okay, drowning in different distance pins, but got that uber pin and equipped it to Rin to try it out. Now he can no longer go back to the old pins I had him set up with and Mina is in a really uncomfortable spot to use his so a lot of it falls to one or the other and I kind of just want to go back to what I had before. If I go to my master pin list it's only letting me put distance stuff on Nagi and I'm just ??? at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I had a really weird glitch once where I couldn't change pins except from the recommended options but closing the menu and reopening it again it was fine and I could change pins as normal.

Also as far as i'm aware the only limitation for pins is that you can't have multiple with the same input. Otherwise it's totally free form.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I missed a sidequest in Day 5, I don't wanna redo Day 5 :cry:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Where on the menu is the option to return to previous days anyway (and is there a way to bail out early and return to the present)? Also in regards to the second point, if you complete a sidequest on a previously completed day and then eject without finishing the day itself will said sidequest still be counted as completed?

At least they added the ability to skip cutscenes you previously watched this time at least.

Also how much of a postgame does NEO have? Is it just Another Day (and how does that work this time around)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 28, 2021

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also as far as i'm aware the only limitation for pins is that you can't have multiple with the same input. Otherwise it's totally free form.

At least until you unlock Shoka's entry on the Social Network (though I'm guessing it's awhile until you can actually do that).

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm on day 7 and the text messages are the funniest thing so far, me* got the biggest chortle just because I'm tired and it just hit me.

Only thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out how pins get assigned. It only let me use 2 charges and 1 distance and 1 melee and okay, drowning in different distance pins, but got that uber pin and equipped it to Rin to try it out. Now he can no longer go back to the old pins I had him set up with and Mina is in a really uncomfortable spot to use his so a lot of it falls to one or the other and I kind of just want to go back to what I had before. If I go to my master pin list it's only letting me put distance stuff on Nagi and I'm just ??? at this point.

There's a difference depending on how you select pins - if you press the confirm button on a party member's equipped pin it will only give you a list of equippable pins (so everything that is blocked by other party members is filtered out).

If you just push down instead of confirm you'll get the full list, and if you select an incompatible pin the affected party member will get your old one assigned instead.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I had a really weird glitch once where I couldn't change pins except from the recommended options but closing the menu and reopening it again it was fine and I could change pins as normal.

I had this same bug happen to me once, was really weird.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

YggiDee posted:

I missed a sidequest in Day 5, I don't wanna redo Day 5 :cry:

Yeah, this one feels pretty bad :smith: specially because I noticed it just when the time travel stuff started, so i got like a third or whatever of the day to go through, knowing that i can't reach the part of the map needed for it. And with how these sidequests are working and that map looks, I gotta assume there's a half dozen folk locked behind that one i missed.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, this one feels pretty bad :smith: specially because I noticed it just when the time travel stuff started, so i got like a third or whatever of the day to go through, knowing that i can't reach the part of the map needed for it. And with how these sidequests are working and that map looks, I gotta assume there's a half dozen folk locked behind that one i missed.

Don't feel too bad!

Those guys you missed where probably locked behind dropping hundreds of thousands of yen at shops anyways :v:

(It's kinda annoying how there are multiple cool skills I'd love to get locked behind getting VIP 3 at the expensive shops)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Those guys you missed where probably locked behind dropping hundreds of thousands of yen at shops anyways :v:

(It's kinda annoying how there are multiple cool skills I'd love to get locked behind getting VIP 3 at the expensive shops)
On that note, I highly recommend getting ConyxCony up to level 3 a priority. Lots of very important things on that mental network path.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought I was steamrolling poo poo pretty hard so I bumped things up to hard and kept on steamrolling, but then I ran into my old friend Mr Shark from TWEWY DS in a three part chain battle and got literally killed in one attack in Round 2. Glad you’re doing alright Mr. Shark, you sucked then and you suck now!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Terper posted:

On that note, I highly recommend getting ConyxCony up to level 3 a priority. Lots of very important things on that mental network path.

That was the one I was implying, yes.

Last Celebration posted:

I thought I was steamrolling poo poo pretty hard so I bumped things up to hard and kept on steamrolling, but then I ran into my old friend Mr Shark from TWEWY DS in a three part chain battle and got literally killed in one attack in Round 2. Glad you’re doing alright Mr. Shark, you sucked then and you suck now!

Noise are pretty unbalanced imo, half of them have completely ignorable gimmicks and then there's Bears and Sharks who will take half your health without notice, Rhinos whose invulnerability keeps breaking combos and loving WOLVES WITH THEIR loving PIN DOWN THAT TAKES FOREVER TO BREAK AT HIGHER TIERS AND ALSO BURN YOU gently caress YOU.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

"suck my diiiiiiiick"

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I've literally never been hit by one of the sharks. They're hilarious combo food. Maybe the higher tier ones are meaner, I dunno.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
My problem with shark Noise is less their damage-dealing capability, and more how annoying it is to pull them out of the water. Wastes a lot of time, which is really not cool during a Dive.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even on Easy the game seems a lot less stingy about handing out EXP than it’s predecessor did. Sharks are still annoying though (until you can pull them out of the “water” that is)

Also as it hasn’t happened to me yet what happens when you lose a fight? Do you go back to right before the battle or are you given the option to retry/reload from your last save ala the Kingdom Hearts series?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Last night I got up to having Nagi join my party and I just want to say that Nagi rules.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Larryb posted:

Even on Easy the game seems a lot less stingy about handing out EXP than it’s predecessor did.

Yeah, about that: I don't think Easy actually helps you kill enemies any faster, it just makes them do less damage to you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Yeah, about that: I don't think Easy actually helps you kill enemies any faster, it just makes them do less damage to you.

Works for me either way

Also the Ruinbringer leader is totally a reaper isn’t he? It’d explain why his team is always on top despite the fact they never really do anything during the Game itself

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 28, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I can confirm this. Easy just reduces the damage you take by 50%, it doesn't increase the damage you deal. For the privilege of that plus bad pin drops, you...get your EXP and PP halved.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rea posted:

My problem with shark Noise is less their damage-dealing capability, and more how annoying it is to pull them out of the water. Wastes a lot of time, which is really not cool during a Dive.
I desperately want an upgrade to Honor and Sacrifice, that one huge Lance pin. Lasts a long while, huge reach, and gets the sharks out with a three hit combo. One of my faves, but haven't gotten a similar type in a long while now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

I can confirm this. Easy just reduces the damage you take by 50%, it doesn't increase the damage you deal. For the privilege of that plus bad pin drops, you...get your EXP and PP halved.

Didn’t you do slightly more damage on Easy in the original game or am I misremembering?

So what’s Ultimate mode like then (I assume you unlock it via a social link or by beating the game)?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Didn’t you do slightly more damage on Easy in the original game or am I misremembering?

So what’s Ultimate mode like then (I assume you unlock it via a social link or by beating the game)?

Ultimate halves the damage you deal, and multiplies the damage you take by 2.5x. I don't remember the exact values for the original, but I do know that NEO's is far more punishing.

Terper posted:

I desperately want an upgrade to Honor and Sacrifice, that one huge Lance pin. Lasts a long while, huge reach, and gets the sharks out with a three hit combo. One of my faves, but haven't gotten a similar type in a long while now.

Lance Lunge pins are sadly very few and far between. Even when you do get later ones, they do not last anywhere near as long as Honor and Sacrifice does.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

Ultimate halves the damage you deal, and multiplies the damage you take by 2.5x. I don't remember the exact values for the original, but I do know that NEO's is far more punishing.

Lance Lunge pins are sadly very few and far between. Even when you do get later ones, they do not last anywhere near as long as Honor and Sacrifice does.

Yeesh, so what’s the advantage of playing on Ultimate then? Better pin drops/EXP?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 28, 2021

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Noooo :negative:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Larryb posted:

Yeesh, so what’s the advantage of playing on Ultimate then? Better pin drops/EXP?

Pin drops. Each noise almost always has a unique pin drop for each difficulty.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, what are some good pins for Nagi and Minamimoto? I’ve been getting pretty good results so far with Rindo’s lance and Fret’s lightning to the point where those two are basically carrying the team for me at the moment.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Also what are some good pins for Nagi and Minamimoto? I’ve been getting pretty good results so far with Rindo’s Lance and Fret’s lightning to the point where those two are basically carrying the team for me at the moment.

A lot of the high-end pins (including, importantly, one of this game's equivalent of the Darklit Planets set) are locked behind super low-chance drops on Ultimate. That's the main incentive.

You can also only farm Scarletite, one of the two postgame-only material pins, through drops on Ultimate. The only other sources are one (1) pig, and TOKYU HANDS 3F, which only sells a limited amount.

Rea fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 28, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Rea posted:

You can also only farm Scarletite, one of the two postgame-only material pins, through drops on Ultimate. The only other sources are one (1) pig, and TOKYU HANDS 3F, which only sells a limited amount.

Wait a minute, that reminds me. Scarletite was kind of a nasty trick from the first game, because you got loads from story events and therefore it was easy to assume it wasn't a super limited resource. Does this game do anything similar?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Arzaac posted:

Wait a minute, that reminds me. Scarletite was kind of a nasty trick from the first game, because you got loads from story events and therefore it was easy to assume it wasn't a super limited resource. Does this game do anything similar?

Not particularly? The elementary particle material pins (Axion, Dilaton, Dibaryon, Sfermion) are the closest thing to original game Scarletite, but they're given out through non-farmable sources (Scramble Slam first-time rewards, pigs, scenario rewards, etc.), so as long as you find every source of them, you're not gonna miss out on anything that requires them. You don't have to grind a shitload of other materials to get them, like you did with the original game's Scarletite.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, what are some good pins for Nagi and Minamimoto? I’ve been getting pretty good results so far with Rindo’s lance and Fret’s lightning to the point where those two are basically carrying the team for me at the moment.

I'm fond of Massive Hit (the big charge kick; it has real good synergy with lance lunge) and the Rock drop so far.

Massive Hit is also good for Sharks! Gotta wait for them to try to attack, but it's a great combo starter if you can't hit the fin fast enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kantesu posted:

I'm fond of Massive Hit (the big charge kick; it has real good synergy with lance lunge) and the Rock drop so far.

Massive Hit is also good for Sharks! Gotta wait for them to try to attack, but it's a great combo starter if you can't hit the fin fast enough.

I think that’s his default pin if I recall correctly. If so then yeah, that’s the one I’ve basically had on him since the start.

Speaking of, there are more R1 (or the equivalent of you’re playing another version) pins in the game right? So far I’ve only ever found the two mentioned above

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Made my way to day five thus far and I am deeply disappointed to learn that these seemingly wholesome river enthusiasts are just horny.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Is there anything Kingdom Hearts related in this game

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is there anything Kingdom Hearts related in this game

No.

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 28, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rea posted:

No. Unless you count an unused model of KH3 Sora in NEO's 3D style.

thats the only crumb i needed

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Jeez, (D6) getting Scramble Slam points is awful. Nearly cleared the map entirely and I have barely 10k despite hitting reduction 4 chains and getting a 5x combo bonus regularly. How are you supposed to even get close to 60k?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Scramble Slam, it seems like you have the opportunity to make certain choices during the match (like teaming up with one group against another). As such, does what you do during a slam have any major effect on the story going forward (like making certain social links easier to get or something)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 29, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Moving on to Day 6, Scramble slam is ongoing and annoying to get points for. It looks like you have to individually make each turf noise a 5 chain and really lay into it with the combos but most things just don't have the health for that, my kingdom for more sharks honestly.

Plotwise... I mean it's very obvious that we have more weeks coming here to deal with all the questions being raised but that the gang isn't curious as to how the Ruin Bringers are always on top is slightly annoying given that they never take part in the missions and in fact sit whole days out. The whole Reapers Game is also noticeably less brutal then the originals but I guess that one wasn't quite running as normal... interested to see where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Brooding Bunny (or the pin it evolves from anyway) is a pretty good pin for Nagi. It takes a bit to charge but you can wrack up some extra damage by switching to another character while the boomerangs are tearing into your target.

The enemy damage reduction you get from playing on Easy can have its advantages despite what others said before (for example, I was able to clear a Noise chain about 6 levels above where I was at the time without much difficulty and I’m on the end of Week 1 with zero deaths). Pin drops are irrelevant when you’re already nigh immortal and don’t care about 100% completion.

Speaking of, to save me some time searching where’s the boss of Week 1 Day 7 hiding (in fact is there just a complete walkthrough of this game somewhere so I don’t have to keep asking these questions)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 29, 2021