Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
After all the open world type RPGS I’ve been playing I really appreciate TWEWY just letting you make yourself weaker for more swag. Was a good idea then, would be a phenomenal idea now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought I was steamrolling poo poo pretty hard so I bumped things up to hard and kept on steamrolling, but then I ran into my old friend Mr Shark from TWEWY DS in a three part chain battle and got literally killed in one attack in Round 2. Glad you’re doing alright Mr. Shark, you sucked then and you suck now!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei posted:

People seem to really like what I call "Rider Kick" pins just from casual Youtube observation.

The wind elemental one seems pretty stupid good so far, IMO.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

??? Pins evolve like normal, but the catch is they need to be equipped to specific people when mastered to evolve.

Lol, that definitely seems like a huge dick move, I mean, I’m guessing it’s a buyable tutorial book at some point but still, tell me out the gate so I can build up a stockpile. Time to grind I guess!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh wow, those elephant Noise sure belong like, at least half a week later than W1D6. Or need like half as much HP. Do they have a weak point? Sharks really hate knock back attacks from what I can tell and it immediately exposes them, something like that?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kantesu posted:

I can't remember how viable it is at that point, but hitting them with status effects (metalbound/stone/frozen) so they can rarely attack is pretty good. Otherwise just prepare to dodge when they rear back to do the earthquake move and learn the timing. They are a rather rude bump up in difficulty.

They seemed weak to poison but also the poison was barely doing anything, good thing I have those frozen exploding darts pins cause they really needed like even the slightest amount of lag between any of their moves for them not to slow the game to a crawl.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Usually when you activate a psyche a character automatically zooms in to the minimum range, so loading up on ranged attacks can probably help with that. Most of the charge moves and Y/square are ranged by default so it’s really just subbing in an X/triangle move with L2/R2 attacks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Week 2 Day 3: when I heard Beat was in the game and saw him doing cool ninja poo poo out of nowhere I figured he’d have changed, but nope, he’s still dumb. Like super insanely dumb. “Oh yeah, I was totally gonna die back there at the end of Week 1 when I stepped in like a cool guy, I just couldn’t stand by and watch”

Also I know they got the same guy back but his voice isn’t quite what I expected. Too…cool?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it’s Easy yeah, I remember being pretty shocked that they just give you something like an HP leeching attack for the easy mode drop. But maybe that’s the point, thinking about it, huh?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk what trick you use on the chameleons to clown them but sharks are pretty fangless with some knockback/launching stuff but maybe the week 3 versions are immune to that?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So for Week 2 Day 4, is there any significant reward for doing all the mysteries or is it just something like an orichalcum that I can find more of by just fighting?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well drat, guess I’ll just do the day over when I unlock Ultimate. I need to fuel my pin addiction and three drop levels isn’t enough.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Week 2 Final Day spoilers jesus I feel bad for the enemies now, like only having another pin slot for the weird utility poo poo like Time Bombs or just more attacks in general was already pretty gross, but now it’s even easier to do beat drops and 300% groove is…it sure is something. :stare:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think the jellyfish should take especially long, are you attacking the clones? The real ones take the clones with them when they die if you are.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
W3D6: man, sure is cool that the first mutation pin in the game can only be evolved by the party member that joins like 75% of the main story. I mean, it’s instantly endgame level on mutation but it’s still a dick move.

Also cool that Neku’s here, I knew he was in the game but I figured he’d be like an NPC given how strong even wielding five pins makes you. And also, Neku’s huge, drat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Double posting, sorry, idk if it was covered in the thread but I don’t wanna get spoiler on endgame stuff, so is there a way to end the roar attack of the pitch-black dinosaurs prematurely? Or to otherwise avoid eating complete poo poo, I’m not picky.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stay behind them and stay well away, otherwise freezing or otherwise immobilizing them cancels it

Oh, that actually kinda makes sense, I just figured it’s an AOE like the Pachiderm’s stomp but a noise shockwave (heh) being in front should have been kinda obvious. Relatively speaking.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The game doesn’t keep you waiting for Number 4 for very long but yeah, the only thing you miss is extra EXP/SP and the SP is nowhere near as harsh as it is in the first game where it was a fairly brutal punishment iirc. The puffer fish enemies might fix some of your problems since they drop the first light elemental pin in the game and those heal you.

Oh, from what I’ve heard the Dives automatically put you at one star ranking on Easy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(W3D7)Yeah sure game, let’s go, im ready for Day 7’’ why not

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The final boss is insanely cool but it’s very, very rude of the game to have the last third of its second life bar be a weird gimmick where it rains down death on certain areas but also oh there are invisible walls so you’re supposed to go on a path and not just dodge in whatever areas

These multiphase bosses are kinda hurt by there being multiple parts in general but always starting you at the first part of the first life bar.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel really stupid for taking to the end of the game to realize FanGO was a Final Fantasy-flavor Pokémon Go. Also Jesus Christ Rindo, how the gently caress do you forget to check your online poo poo to see if your girlfriend tried to contact you? You goober.

This was a really good game. There were some bits that dragged, and I wish they made weak low cool down pins to kill the downtime of the early game, but TBH this game is much more succinct what I remember the first game and I remember just not being able to properly dodge in TWEWY 1 without Velocity Attack so just feeling like it’s my fault 85% of the time that I’m eating poo poo (ducking wolves) is cool too.

It seems like a real shame that Another Day isn’t getting voice acted though going by the dialogue so far…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

It's really not hard to figure out the NEO stuff that's a reference to the Switch exclusive stuff from context. I didn't play the Switch version of TWEWY 1 and didn't feel lost at all.

Yeah this, apparently it might have been intended to be more relevant at some point from what people posted of art book notes but as is it doesn’t really encroach on the main story, which itself is like the first game in that it’s mostly about the protagonist’s growth as a person and the plot is just the vehicle for that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Holy poo poo Shoka please just understand the point I'm trying to make about Ayano. Like I think I like the time travelling more than most but this sucks

Just look up a guide, I generally like the time stuff too but that section is by far the most miserable application of it. They really should have just grayed out the “bad” answers

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i didn’t mind everyone coming back cause like someone else said it’s a nice change from how depressing and isolated the first game feels come endgame. I don’t feel like Neku or even Beat stole the spotlight away from the NEO crew, but idk if I wanna say anymore right this minute before you actually get to see the ending play out.

And Fret definitely needs some therapy, yeah.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, imho the best surprise of 2021 was that they made a sequel to The World Ends With You and it was more or less everything I could have wanted. Well, almost, I’m in the middle of the postgame pin/Secret Report collections and even with six pins I cannot possibly fathom why I would ever use the chain fence pins except for completionist leveling, but even them I’m sure there were probably as many/more sucky pin lines and just plan sucky pins (Popguin comes immediately to mind) in the first game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The chain status effect is the best debuff in the game

Really? I mean, it is cause it just stops the enemy for a longer period of time than Stone/Stun/Freeze but those are tied to stuff you can constantly apply as opposed to one chain every twenty-something seconds. Unless there’s something I’m missing, I have a lot of those chain pins left and I’d love to be entirely wrong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So the NEO OST is on Spotify, that’s neat. Expected that to take longer. It’s also making me realize how much it blows that the OST is better than vanilla TWEWY (at least the uncompressed version) but you get to hear less of the battle themes, not just cause some of them are boss-only but there’s a lot like Twister that you’d think would be in the cycle that…just aren’t.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The difficulty serves as an EXP/PP modifier, it should show on the post-battle screen but Hard is iirc a 1.3 base PP multiplier which adds up with a lot of fights. But yeah, have you looked into equipment? A lot of the character specific stuff gives pretty big bonuses, like something that says “[Character] Attack Boost IV” it’ll often be something like 40-50%. And even just having Regen II (or III but that’s a high Style cost) can help with fights.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s still a 1¥ pin as an Ultimate Mode drop though!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda got the impression from what Sho said early on that because of whatever reason anyone could use any pin but only one in the new Game, compared to before where you could use however many you had the aptitude, which is All Of Them for Neku and one type for Shiki/Beat, but it’s six for gameplay purposes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

:catstare:

The combo attacks at 300% groove are absolutely fair and balanced (gameplay spoilers) the whole team going freaking Joshua but invulnerable while the groove lasts.

This was pretty much my reaction, I just assumed we peaked at 200% Groove but no, you get get an insanely brutal nuke (although like someone else said the damage seems nerfed on Ultimate) that even fully heals you. I remember thinking “oh, I have five people I guess maybe I should equip a healing pin now” and yeah nope.

And just as a reminder, a lot of the social links open up skills that sometimes buff the Groove you get, so it’s not uncommon to see like +60% if you hit the orange part of the ring. Because the game just needs to be disrespected.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The latter sadly, make sure you have a spare copy or six. Or just wait till you’re 85% through the main story for the social network link that just shows them. I’d say just to use a guide but tbh until you can unlock the feature it’s a chance to stumble on spoilers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s a side quest but it works the same as all the other ones where if you hit of up the objectives menu the side quest areas are listed out too. Iirc it’s by 104 though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

Ugh, whoever designed that final boss needs to take a long walk off a short pier. It was not difficult, it was freaking unreadable. A lot of fights really would have benefited from fixed cameras.

Time to revisit everything. What's the best way to do scrambles, drop down to easy/normal and chain 1 scramble noise at a time with 14 to 19 normal symbols?

Go Ultimate mode, do what you said otherwise, BUT equip the best single target L/R moves you have, the points noise give are influenced heavily by how hard the killing blow overkill’s them so you wanna do half their HP in a single Grave Marker/flying kick after whittling them away with normal stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Fair enough, I did my scrambles after I got Ultimate. Less painful, but still Scramble Slam.

I'm curious what sets people go for in end-game, I'm mid-80s right now and I've mastered most of the pins I have in my inventory.

I’m still mostly leveling stuff but the mutated water black hole pin is crazy good, huge AOE and sets the enemy up perfectly for grenade and most other crowd control in general. I guess you’d wanna cycle it out for a psychic shotgun for bosses though. Ive been using the force round pin with HP Vampire II but I’ll probably slot that out for something else eventually.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Unless that's only true for half of them I don't think that's the case. I've only got half the pins but every mutation I do have is the next numbered pin from what it evolved from.

It’s like half of them, pins are organized partly by elemental affinity so some of the mutations like the sound bomb jump around in the collection because they change affinity on mutation. Also you might wanna change your previous post, the game does a pretty solid job of not making it obvious who’s gonna be playable even if it’s not hard to guess a lot of people are gonna come back.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ll probably swap out the postgame character for their pin mutations at some point but man he does not make himself super endearing post W1D7 except for being a chuuni rear end tryhard cool guy.

Sho kinda feels like wasted potential, like I like having Chill Neku on the team since he’s deliberately a nearly different character but Sho himself kinda seemed to genuinely enjoy being around for most of the first week cause it takes him a while to even figure out that there’s weird time noise poo poo going on with Rindo for his master plan so it wouldn’t be impossible to just have him join for real after his boss fight cause that’s basically what he does in the last day.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

Gotta love what they did at the end. (massive spoilers obv)

Shoka: I'm fine with getting erased
Josh: No that's dumb back to the RG with you
Rindo: Hold on there's hundreds of thousands people in Shibuya where did you send her?
Josh: That's your problem not mine, better get searching

:allears:

Let’s be honest now, that poo poo’s at least partially on Rindo for not checking his messages, if Joshua was on his old bullshit he would have just deleted all her messages to him.

I think Rindo might be the stupidest member of the Wicked Twisters tbh, which is quite a harrowing thought. Still love him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

marumaru posted:

Same, and what was more surprising to me was that it actually turned out to be very fun

Yeah, I didn’t feel like a sequel was literally impossible but I expected it to be a hollow attempt at capturing the original rather than an arguably better successor.