Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Restarted my old DS save file over the weekend in anticipation of the sequel. Friggin' love that game. Only on week 1 day 3 so far, but mostly because I'm stockpiling SDPP for pin evolution (and not cheating by changing the date).

Downloading the NEO demo now.

Edit: And Demo started. I found a little bug! Rindo can do funny things going down the stairs above Ramen Don.

Kantesu fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Kaiju Cat Destroys the City with Lasers was indeed Shiki's level 3 sync move and it was great.

Sync moves in NEO appear to be souped-up versions of your regular pins, and which one you get seems to be based on whoever you're directly controlling at the time (which is in turn controlled by normal usage of pins).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

I found it pretty easy myself, each character is mapped to a different button that’s displayed above them and can usually attack with a quick press (though some characters work differently such as Sho having to charge up before he can attack).

When you get a message saying “Drop the Beat” that’s your cue to switch over to another character.

I don’t really get how you pull off Sync Moves in this game though, can anybody explain it to me?

The button is technically associated with the pin, not the character, so you could conceivably shift things around so Sho is shooting stuff using the Y button and Fret is charge kicking (or Piercing Pillaring) with R; or whatever other combo you please. Doesn't seem to make much difference this early on, but it might later.

As for sync moves, what I've figured out so far:
- I think you carry over at least some of your built up percentage between battles
- You get 15% added when you successfully follow up during a Drop the Beat
- Press the A button once you're at 100%. The attack is based on the pin of the character you're currently controlling. You change who you're controlling by initiating a normal attack with them (there might be other ways). Different things seem to happen depending on what that pin is. With Shockwave and Force Rounds, you get a combo opportunity that lets you get some sync back (it seems to take fewer hits to initiate a "Drop the Beat," but you get less % when you successfully follow up. Pyrokinesis just launches a big old Meteor at them with no chance for follow up that I could see.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
There's also big-rear end explosions on the Burst affinity.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also as far as i'm aware the only limitation for pins is that you can't have multiple with the same input. Otherwise it's totally free form.

At least until you unlock Shoka's entry on the Social Network (though I'm guessing it's awhile until you can actually do that).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I thought I was steamrolling poo poo pretty hard so I bumped things up to hard and kept on steamrolling, but then I ran into my old friend Mr Shark from TWEWY DS in a three part chain battle and got literally killed in one attack in Round 2. Glad you’re doing alright Mr. Shark, you sucked then and you suck now!

I've literally never been hit by one of the sharks. They're hilarious combo food. Maybe the higher tier ones are meaner, I dunno.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, what are some good pins for Nagi and Minamimoto? I’ve been getting pretty good results so far with Rindo’s lance and Fret’s lightning to the point where those two are basically carrying the team for me at the moment.

I'm fond of Massive Hit (the big charge kick; it has real good synergy with lance lunge) and the Rock drop so far.

Massive Hit is also good for Sharks! Gotta wait for them to try to attack, but it's a great combo starter if you can't hit the fin fast enough.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Thing I learned: your VIP level goes up a bit by using pins (and maybe clothes) of a given brand. Was enough to push ConyxCony to level 2 when I was really close to it.

I'm still all the way back at W1D4.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
According to the popup about going back to previous days when you first get the option, yes, you take all your pins/levels/stats/clothes/party members with you.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Simple question, missed all 3 quests first time on W1D5 and doing it to get them. Came up to a guy in a red shirt and the gang went 'no time to worry about this guy lol' and then he vanishes.

How do I activate that quest

In addition to what the other folks said, the side quest in the Scramble is over by Hachiko. The last one is in Dogenzaka (a place the plot of day 5 never makes you go; if you forget how to get there head north from the Scramble to 104, then it's the exit on the left. There was a side quest on day 4 in the exact same spot as this one).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Pretty sure it's the latter since I had ConyxCony go up while fighting on Center Street and Top o Topo go up somewhere that was not 104.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Draga posted:

Man, the mammoth Noises do not gently caress around do they?

NO THEY DON'T. Normal makes them a bit more manageable, though. Particularly if you're going for the big chains during the Scramble Slam.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I was able to survive 1 mammoth on Hard, but going into another at half health (or less) meant I got pasted a whole bunch. Switched to Normal just so I could work some beatdrops without worrying about dying so much.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
And all the pigs are named after dances: Samba, Cha Cha, Waltz, etc. Noise names are great.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Good news, W1D5 is the worst the game ever gets regarding the Replay mechanic.

I found W2D2 much more annoying when it came to the Replay stuff.

The second Scramble Slam seems a lot better than the first, overall (only just started it tonight). Most things now survive long enough for you to effectively build a combo without needing to chain the super-heavyweight Noise, you get more points in general because you can get 10 chains instead of 5, you have more effective healing stuff by that point to keep you going, your stats are better by that point. It's still a crapload of fighting.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

I’m on W2D2 right now actually, where do I go to get the upgrade?

Lastly when do you get the link that lets you use more than one pin in the same button slot?

Tower Records, towards the left side of the building with Garagara and the health food place.

edit: Woops, too slow

Double edit: it's also the one that leads to being able to buy the first Chain upgrade, which is a huge boon for the second Scramble Slam the next day.

Kantesu fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 1, 2021

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Well, took most of the day but finally finished the second Scramble Slam. Thanks for all the advice re: getting beatdrops, big single hits, and mass kills (also the people that mentioned how good Topo the Ingenious is; would have died a bunch of times without it). Meant I hit the max point goal about 4-5 areas early and just started messing around with mostly awful combinations of pins I needed to level up (though found some neat almost synergies with some of them), and got the Easy and Normal drops from the Variabeauties and Purehearts. Ended up at ~457,000 when all was said and done. I'm very glad the third one is supposed to be shorter.

Also got Beat caught up to the rest of the party stat-wise to boot (which I suspect is part of why they make it so long).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Game is great. A few bits have felt kinda grindy and slow, but not enough to really put me off. Combat is really engaging and loaded with options, adjusting level and difficulty to ensure you get drops is still the coolest mechanic of all time, characters and tone and music are spot-on.

You want to eat a lot, yes. You'll basically be loaded with cash from the first Scramble Slam onwards, so it's very easy to keep doing it.

There are as far as I know no branching evolutions for pins, and very few pins with more than two stages total of evolution (I've found one so far that has 3). There are some pins that'll only evolve when equipped to a certain character, the first of which crop up early-ish in Week 2. I've done 2 of those so far, one of which was a pretty standard evolution upgrade, the other of which took a pin from "fine" to "this is really quite good actually." Overall, there's not really any pins I would call outright bad, but there's more than a few that feel like you need something else to complement them to really see how they're good (or maybe the low-end Time Bomb pins are really that much worse than the later ones). The shield pins I'd like to wait for a fifth member to use because building combos in sets of two is a good way to never run out of pin energy while still hitting beat drops.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
One neat thing that I don't think people have mentioned is the Social Network and the way all the nodes interact.

Like there's a bunch of people that branch off of the Prince because he's famous and influential and they either know him personally or at least follow his blog (and a couple have been inspired to start their own).

The shopkeeper for the Hog Fang store on Center Street is an underground pit fighter who was convinced to work for the shop by the promoter of said pit fights (the shopkeeper at the other Hog Fang location, as it happens) to improve his social skills. And apparently meeting Fret has inspired him to really try to open up more, which is why his node is connected to Fret's.

There's a side quest in the middle of week 1 where this random kid is worrying about his homework from cram school (cuz he loves math and not much else; I think he branches off Minamimoto, too). And you need his node to get to a couple shopkeepers, one of whom is his older sister, while the other splits her time between the shop and teaching at his cram school.

Just a lot of dumb little details that make the world feel more alive and connected.

Also like that Beat's node is the one that leads to Kariya and then Yashiro.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

I loving hate Fret’s puzzle gimmick, that is all

I find it easiest to do one stick at a time. Might help that I'm using a Gamecube-style pro controller and the game only seems to have states for cardinals and ordinals so the eight-way gates make it easy to lock in a position.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Another fun world detail I just noticed while going around buying out shops on W2D4 (hey, I had like 700,000 yen worth of spare pins from the Scramble Slam the day before): the descriptions for all of the Croaky Panic threads are written from the perspective of the quirky old lady that runs the shop and they're kind of great.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

municipal shrimp posted:

Which noise drops the world within then?

Second tier pufferfish (Oi Puffer) on Easy.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The latter from what I've heard. There's a fairly early game social link that increases how much extra drop rate you get from lowering your level, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one more (I may have even seen one).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Works like evolution unfortunately. Gotta get a new pin.

Worth noting if it isn't max level yet, as long as it hits max level while equipped to the right person, you're good. SOL if it's already mastered though.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Another method of getting Topo the Ingenious if you don't want to evolve a World Within: Emo Puffers (third tier Puffers that look the same as the boss Puffer fought on like W1D4) drop them on Easy. They start showing up W2D7.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
What's the can made from?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Oh wow, those elephant Noise sure belong like, at least half a week later than W1D6. Or need like half as much HP. Do they have a weak point? Sharks really hate knock back attacks from what I can tell and it immediately exposes them, something like that?

I can't remember how viable it is at that point, but hitting them with status effects (metalbound/stone/frozen) so they can rarely attack is pretty good. Otherwise just prepare to dodge when they rear back to do the earthquake move and learn the timing. They are a rather rude bump up in difficulty.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Huh, you can get at least one secret report before the postgame. Looks like it was hitting 70% of the Social Network?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
As someone who never played A New Day, this game does a good job of catching you up on what happened there as far as it pertains to NEO.

You get a social link ability that adds a sweetspot to all the beatdrop gauges that gives you extra groove if you time the beatdrop well, which encourages some better timing (or finding combos that time themselves). Also enemies that aren't as easy to steamroll.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

XavierGenisi posted:

Are there any particular tips for getting high scores in Scramble Slams? I feel like I might have missed something important to do besides chaining point noise in unclaimed territory.

How to Scramble Slam:

- Hit lots of beat drops. Every beat drop you hit increases your multiplier (up to 5x per round).
- Make sure the attack that kills the enemy does lots of damage. Chargeable pins and high-damage fusions (Ice/Wind/Fire/Burst/probably at least one other) are good for this; also look for weaknesses if possible
- Kill lots of enemies simultaneously. Fusions are again good for this.
- You can chain in claimed territory as well. Let the Noise absorb into you before walking into view of the other players.
- If all else fails, I'm told it's real easy if you come back postgame when you can get really long chains and can play on Ultimate. I got everything the first time through for all of them.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Hahaha the quest that lets you see Pin Mutations is a dive that spoils the new chapter of Elegant Strategy for Nagi. Perfect.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Jade Rider posted:

I think it was W1D4, or whichever day had the first Dives.

This is correct. First Dive I missed gold on. Was very funny when I went back and clobbered it.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
World Within/Topo the Ingenious drop from Puffers (bombs from bombs, you see)

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

Also until this game I had no idea that Othello was a Japanese invention.

Also.. Beat? That seems weird given that Sho was Beat's boss as a Reaper.

Everything Beat did as a Reaper was under orders from Kitaniji. Sho just happened to be GM that week. Pretty much all of Beat and Sho's interactions came during week 3, after Sho went Taboo and tried to kill Beat and Neku a couple times. Beat developed a strong dislike for the dude that hasn't faded.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
TWEWY 3: Starring Marvel Comics' Daredevil

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

It evolves from The World Within which is dropped by pufferfish Noise (set your difficulty to Easy for best results)

Heartthrob Launcher is another useful pin in my opinion (it’s a rapid fire machine gun that heals you a bit with every shot), it evolves from Cuddly Launcher which I think is dropped by green shark Noise (and much later can be bought from one of the shops).

Also the game gets much more manageable once your Week 2 partner joins the team.

First Cuddly Launcher is from an event (wanna say after the second scramble slam so like W2D5?), then it can be bought rather a lot later. Heartthrob Launcher is indeed great. Think I generally prefer it to Topo because it's more consistent to Beat Drop with.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve been using psychic shotgun and yeah it’s a great finisher. It doesn’t seem like you can start the day over so I’m just going to have to try my best to make up for a slow start.

Scramble Crossing is the best spot for building points in my experience. Multi-kill the wolves and bears with an Ice Fusion and you'll be swimming in points (plus if you go the wrong way after you hear about the enemy teams trying to meet up, you get some more fights there).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
You did have to master pins to trade them in in the original TWEWY, but yeah, NEO don't care.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The early days of week 2 when you're down to 3 party members is probably the low point of the combat system. Your damage output gets cut pretty dramatically simply because you're going to have everyone on cooldown fairly often. I stuck ranged stuff on everyone, stuck to normal and easy, and just generally played very defensively until I got a 4th member again.

It's amazing how much better of a flow you can keep going when you have two pairs of pins to work with, let alone later when you have multi-wield and even more members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Note: It is pitifully easy to score highly once you get Ultimate. I had to get a Pig Noise from after the first one, so I barely tried and ended up at double the top score.