Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Do I need to unlock a way to more conveniently re-fight bosses and other unique enemies for their pin drops? I tried going back to Day 1 to do the scorpion but having to go through the whole day each attempt seems less than ideal. I seem to remember in the first game that on revisiting chapters bosses would show up as Blue Noise so you could fight them repeatedly without having to end the chapter. Is that still a feature here?

Anyway game's cool, I just finished Week 2 Day 2 and the instant I heard Beat's voice I was like OH poo poo that was a great moment. I figured something was weird with "Neku's" blonde hair but I didn't see that one coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The boss noise can show up after you buy a skill on the social link yeah

That makes sense! I'll wait to do my chapter hopping till I get that then.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

Be warned that you don’t get that particular link until near the very end of the game

Yeah that's fine. Better than wasting my time doing the whole story of each day 4+ times.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What's the significance of a pin mutating instead of evolving?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Mutating is the fancy evolution a pin gets from being equipped by a specific character. I think generally pins that evolve just get better but pins that mutate will also change their element or psych.

Wow so I just got lucky by equipping it to the right character? It was "The Great Balloon Voyage" number 145 and it mutated into 146 "The Fluffy Ovine Cloud" while equipped on Nagi.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Just google "TWEWY [pin name]" and you'll find, like, four charts but I don't recommend doing that until you're finished the game because, like, spoilers.

Yeah of course, I'm just surprised I got it completely by chance haha

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

W2D7: Me: Boy this is getting pretty hard. I wish I could equip another Uber pin or something

Game: I can do "or something"

I was wondering if this was gonna happen but god drat did it make me so much stronger

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress i hate chameleons

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never got 100% in the original due to Mingle PP

I never got 100% in the switch version cause I had a glitch where it kept crashing when I tried to fight one boss on Ultimate difficulty and I got derailed and never checked back to see if it was patched

I was hoping I could do it in this one but it doesn't sound very encouraging, since it seems like they have less QOL things to make collecting easier

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

W3D7 Can someone explain how the Shiba 3 part boss fight works. I beat him but I had to drop it to normal because he kicked my rear end so bad on hard. I know he goes invulnerable and in the last phase he has clones but I couldn't figure out how to consistently build up groove.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Araxxor posted:

His clones are fake and any damage you deal does not actually register in any fashion, so lifesteal won't activate, and beat drops don't work. You need to either use an AOE pin or a pin that does not need to target a specific enemy to target as many Shiba clones as possible to figure out which one is the real one, or swap targets constantly. The real Shiba on the other hand, will always be the one that uses the huge laser beams in his last phase. Otherwise, swap targets and pay attention to the health bar.

Thank you. Hopefully I'll do better when I return for the Hard drop (and ultimate :gonk:)

Rea posted:

If you're playing with headphones or speakers that make positional audio very clear, you can also listen to Shiba's voice lines to figure out where the real one is.

:stare: I will try this

Some of these late game boss fights are brutal, I also struggled with (W3 spoilers) Minamimoto's armored noise form and Susukichi's full transformation

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beat the main story, in typical TWEWY fashion I'm still a bit confused but that's what the Secret Reports are for I assume.

Think first I'll go back and do some dives so I can unlock Ultimate, Boss noise, and the last combo bonus. Then I'll do Another Day, and get to hunting down reports before the real grind begins.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man putting Dives in places like getting keywords, that you then don't need to redo to progress the story in replays, is really mean! I just went through all of Week 1 Day 5 trying to find what Dive I was missing and it turns out it's right at the start with a keyword I didn't need anymore. :sigh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NieR Occomata posted:

Is there a way to replay as Minamimoto or to add him back into your party? I need to evolve some pins that he needs to have equipped and i… don’t know how to do that.

You can put him back in your party in Another Day

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Thanks for the clarification.

I can't check right now but wouldn't that discrepancy be because there's a good few pins that can't be mastered? The yen and material pins?

There's still a small amount of wiggle room:

serefin99 posted:

Close. There's 333 pins total, but that includes the yen and material pins. The actual number of masterable pins is 312. Still preferable to needing all of them (especially since I'm somehow missing Fuel To The Fire and don't feel like hunting it down), but not quite as big a cushion as it seems.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm deep in the hell that is the second Scramble Slam and god I hate it

Least favorite feature of this game easily.

At least I'm getting lots of money and scarletite.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hyphz posted:

You still have the third to look forward to. Twice.

W-what do you mean twice

I figured number 3 wouldn't be so bad since the points needed aren't nearly as high

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay but obviously I already did the story so the repeat isn't an issue. It was super easy just now to do the third one, took like a quarter of the time of the second since you only need 50,000 points and can do it in 2-3 chains.

And now I'm done with those forever yay

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GAH the endgame bosses on Ultimate are too hard for me. What's the best way to get STRONG

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rea posted:

Are you talking stats or pins?

I don't know, both probably.

I should probably just go on and get the rest of the secret reports and continue collecting other things and save these ultimate drops for later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah to be clear where I am I've done Ultimate all the way up to Leo Cantus. I did manage to beat him on ultimate but didn't get the drop and didn't feel like trying again. Beyond that the bosses start completely destroying me above hard (well I've only tried Cervus Cantus so far.)

I just need to figure out where in the progression I need to go next, so I'll just keep doing the easier versions and then check out more of the Another Day fights and extra challenges.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished the last Dive with 14'25" on the clock, I wanna cry

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hyphz posted:

As Week 3 goes on and the game tries to get more challenging the jankiness is starting to get overwhelming.

I don't know if I've done something wrong but every enemy seems to be an HP sack by this point.

The Chameleon and Shark noise designs are made to be annoying and tedious to fight. Who puts enemies with the ability to essentially leave the battlefield into timed combats? The Chameleon, especially, makes the game worse by existing.

The game persistently displays "ready" above pins that are not ready.

Charging characters lose their charge if someone else dodges.

The camera and target selector are more dangerous than the Noise. The majority of hits come from off-camera Noise.

I nearly chucked it in at a mandatory 5-reduction dive with a Chameleon at stage 2 and an HP sack at stage 4. Why did anyone think it would be fun to replay that? Use of bosses in that way is a bit outdated.

Week 3 is a definite difficulty spike, but it levels out eventually as you get stronger pins. Some of these things you're describing as jankiness though are just the game's combat working as intended.

The "ready" above pins is to get your attention that it's about to be useable.

In a game that involves controlling a bunch of characters at once, it doesn't really make much distinction between who is using and who is dodging. Not being able to dodge without interrupting a charge is an intentional trade off.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

serefin99 posted:

No it isn't. It's used for Mashups/Killer Remix. The more characters that are 'Ready', the more damage your Mashups do and the higher your drop rate bonus from the Killer Remix is. Characters get 'Ready' by involving them in beat drop combos, either starting or continuing them.

woah. I knew that mechanic but I didn't know that was the indicator!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Whee I beat the superboss and got the last black cat pin once I understood his pattern he's really easy... at least on Normal. Maybe this will even help me with the Ultimate difficulty of his other version.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man after how frustrated I was with the final Dive this morning, coming back to it much stronger and wielding the full Black Cat set - and thus demolishing it in less than 5 minutes - was extremely satisfying. Finally got all the secret reports! Gotta do the other ending tomorrow and then at least I'll be done with the really important stuff.

Probably my biggest obstacle at this point to getting 100% will be grinding money to buy all the clothes and material pins I still need, just cause that's a lot more boring than collecting the remaining pin drops.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Saw the secret ending. I have no idea if this is the plan or not but I can seriously see room for this series being a trilogy. Slowly it seems like the characters in these two games are eroding away the detachment members of the Higher Planes have for the Lower Planes. Joshua was brought on board last game, and Haz still doesn't fully get it but finds himself taking more of an interest in human affairs than he thinks he should. Perhaps a third game could involve some kind of larger change to how this system works so that Composers and Angels stop wiping out entire cities on a whim. It really is an aspect of the setting that hasn't yet been directly challenged on a larger scale.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

Like I said before, I wonder if there’s someone above even the Angels that’s been running the whole show. Could be an interesting concept for another game honestly (and it wouldn’t be the first RPG where you literally fight God).

It also could be interesting if the next Reaper’s Game took place across multiple locations as opposed to just being localized to one city like the previous entries. I wouldn’t be surprised if this Game has been going on for centuries all over the world.

I'm totally down for meeting "Mother and Father"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the pin you get from beating the final boss on Ultimate may be my favorite one in the game. RAINBOW FEATHERS EVERYWHERE. And also random status effects constantly.

Only drops I have left now are that loving jellyfish (finally gonna suck it up and savescum now) and then the postgame bosses on Ultimate.

Then I guess just pure money and PP grinding till I've got it all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There may be a clever strategy that a good player would use to beat the final superboss on Ultimate

I however, went the route of "just don't get hit for 8 minutes". Noisepedia 100%!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THIS TROPHY ENDS WITH YOU

Going for 100% ended up being extremely satisfying. Even the money/xp grind at the end was pretty fun because I discovered the glory of the triple sword build and just destroyed countless scorpions and pufferfish.

I'd say the only parts of this completionist chase I didn't enjoy were the Scramble Slams (just personal taste really) and the bosses that couldn't be chained. Having to redo Week 2 Day 7 and Week 3 Day 4 over and over to fight the minibosses that didn't get blue noise was pretty tedious. Especially the goddamn jellyfish with a 4% drop rate. But otherwise it was really nice.

This really was a great game and a worthy followup to the original. It's probably a bit presumptuous ask for it after waiting 14 years for this one, but I'd really like another sequel. This series is unique and special and always leaves me wanting more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Here's my strategy that got me through on Ultimate. This is almost certainly the Bad Player strat, since it takes forever, but it is reliable. As Oxxidation said, bring lots of ranged pins but do also bring one or two really fast acting melee pins. Pins that do status effects like freeze are very nice too. Then what you mainly want to do is always keep your distance. Don't stay in his face and risk him doing his combo attacks on you. Instead what you want to bait out is the charge. If you have sword chasers for instance you can be unleashing those constantly for steady damage, but otherwise wait for the charge, and then blast him with a bunch of ranged attacks. You should get a few beat drops this way. If a status effect activates at any point then go in for a BRIEF melee combo to get some more beat drops. If you've got good pin choices you'll probably be able to slowly build up your groove to use a big move, but really your main goal is just slow, safe, steady damage.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Got interesting info about development for the game Apparently Shoka took Tsugumi's role in the plot, Kanon was in Ayano's role as a Reaper that was Shoka's older sister type, and Ayano was a player. Nagi originally had a sword

Also apparently Coco is physically on the older side of Reapers being Biologically 19. (Reapers don't age apparently)

That explains a lot about why Tsugumi has been showing up in teasers for years but then honestly had a pretty minor role.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hyphz posted:

Dang it, is the difficulty curve for this game way above the levelling curve or have I just messed up my stats? Earlier on I could do stuff on Hard with a -1 adjustment at 2-3 chains. But I had to turn the final Susukichi down to Easy for hitting him to not be mining with a toothpick and on the final day field noise is owning me.

Level literally only adjusts your HP. You should be able to do most stuff in the game at a considerable lowered level (and eventually if you go for drops you wanna do everything on like level 1). The game does have difficulty spikes though, I did struggle with the boss you mentioned as well as the next one on Hard the first time through. Rather than worrying about your level make sure your stats and pins are as good as they can be. By endgame you have a lot of firepower at your disposal and the game expects you to make good use of it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I give up :negative:

I found two of the three missing pins but still can't find the Axion I need. I wanted to 100% so bad but I'm burned out.

There can't be that many Axion possibilities surely?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

serefin99 posted:

You don't even need to check a list tbh. Late in the game, you get a social network node that just tells you which party members are need for pin mutations, and all of the mutations are good enough that you can STILL use them even at that point.

Yeah I just looked for the gaps in my pin list and figured out which mutating pins in the same brand I hadn't done yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm curious if there's a big difference between how powerful Haz and Kubo were. Not that we get to actually see Kubo use any of his strength.

It's weird because in the original, Hanekoma's secret reports certainly seemed to imply that Angels are higher up and more powerful than Composers, they're just restricted by rules in how they can interact with the lower planes. But then Haz just nukes Kubo no problem so idk.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hyphz posted:

It’s presumably supposed to be executioner anyway

Nooo it's executor, pronounced as it is in the game, meaning "a person who produces something or puts something into effect."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

For pins that can only be evolved by specific characters, do they have to be holding the pin when it reaches max level? Or can they equip an already maxed pin and have it evolve?

Nope if it maxes out it's too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That depends on if you're getting one shot. You just want enough HP to avoid that. Much more useful gear wise is regen so that you could take multiple hits as long as you space them out.

But for the most part the key is just don't get hit.