Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Couple questions:

-Are getting past the Reaper walls less annoying than some of them were in the original?

-How do the different pins work when attacking is just a simple button press this time around?

-I assume like the first game the story doesn’t end after the first week?

-Does Tin Pin make a return?

-Do all the major characters from the first game make a reappearance in the sequel (a simple yes or no will do for this one)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Even without knowledge of the game this is pretty much guaranteed. According to the demo the Top scoring team of the Reapers game gets a Wish, which can be used to escape the game and return to life. The bottom ranked team is erased, and I am assuming then all remaining teams then compete another week. I doubt the Wicked Twisters will get the top score in the first week, and so are forced to do a second, and maybe even third.

Yeah, I pretty much knew this was going to be the case from the getgo but I just wanted to confirm (the days do seem like they last a bit longer this time around after all).

As for returning characters: Based on the demo, opening, and trailer at the end of said demo we’ve confirmed:

Minamoto
Neku
Possibly the real world Shiki (we see a girl carrying the same cat doll at least)
The male and female reaper duo from the first game (I forget their names)
Joshua

The first two are obvious since this game takes place a bit after A New Day at the end of the Switch version and as far as I know Josh is still Shibuya’s Composer so it’d make sense for him to have a hand in things.

Not sure how they’d bring Shiki, Beat, and/or Rhyme back into the mix though unless they died again or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, Rindo and Fret don't seem to have died and they still made it into the game.

Actually they probably are (remember the start of the game involved one of them pushing the other out of the way of a moving truck and I think there’s a part in the demo where one of the Reapers flat out told them they were dead).

Regardless, maybe this Reaper’s Game has different rules or something (after all, Players now work in teams of 3 rather than 2 and based on the recent trailer can apparently attack one another as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True. As I said, it looks like the rules have changed a bit this time around

YggiDee posted:

See, right now I'm assuming one of the major story points will be that we're still alive. Like back in TWEWY Kariya assumed that Joshua was so powerful because he was alive, and implied that entering the Game while alive was Super loving Illegal.

Speaking of which, I forget but was it ever explained why Joshua decided to enter his own Game?

Also if Josh is the Composer and Megumi the Conductor, what exactly does that make Hanekoma?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'd just like to make a slight correction here that further shows This Game Is Different: there actually doesn't appear to actually BE a max limit on team size in this one. I mean, in the combat system you're limited but the enemy teams in the Game include a ton of nameless NPCs.

True, you still seem to be required to have at least one partner in order to play though (I think anyway, that could change later on). The end of A New Day implies that Sho was brought back as Neku’s new game partner but they seem to be separated at the moment.

I’m assuming the girl from said episode will also play a major role in the plot of NEO.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So does the Game take place across multiple districts this time or something? The trailer showed both Shinjuku and Shibuya Reapers running around after all.

Also I wonder if Joshua is still running the show this time or there’s someone else involved (I’m guessing Shinjuku’s Composer or that girl from A New Day)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm still having a little trouble getting used to the new control scheme from the Neo demo and remembering what button does what. I hope I can get a handle on it for the full release.

I found it pretty easy myself, each character is mapped to a different button that’s displayed above them and can usually attack with a quick press (though some characters work differently such as Sho having to charge up before he can attack).

When you get a message saying “Drop the Beat” that’s your cue to switch over to another character.

I don’t really get how you pull off Sync Moves in this game though, can anybody explain it to me?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks. Also for anyone who got the game early, does the game ever get challenging at some point? I pretty much breezed my way through the demo (though the Day 2 boss was kind of annoying) and it seems like once you get the hang of things you can basically decimate foes faster than they can even make a significant dent in your HP.

Also can you get healing pins in this game at some point? If so, how do they work in the new combat system?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair enough, removed (you should probably remove the quote from your post at least as well then)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, it looks like Square’s going to be taking down the leaked online versions (meaning if you got the game early you won’t be able to play it anymore until the 27th):

https://www.ign.com/articles/neo-the-world-ends-with-you-revoked

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Can you still sell off pins you don’t need like you could in the first game?

Also how does food and clothing work in NEO (and since this is on modern consoles, does the latter change your character model at all)? Is there still a Bravery stat for the latter like there was in the original?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 22, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So does wearing different clothing/accessories actually alter your appearance at all in this game? Also, how long do you have to play until you get the Garage Sale/ShibuPay options?

Also does the game take place over the course of 3 weeks like the first one did or is it more/less than that this time?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t see how just saying how long the game is spoils anything significant but fair enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you're just looking for length, the devs have said in interviews that 100% completion is about 100 hours long which i'm betting is an exaggeration but it seems like a decently long game.

Asking how many weeks though just feels like getting too into the specifics, like if there's a twist and we get an extra week or whatever you'd know that something is coming. Though maybe i'm thinking too hard on it.

Yeah but just knowing how many weeks the game takes place over doesn’t actually spoil any story details (as in, you still don’t know what happens during those days or why the characters get an additional week or so)

But if even that’s too much of a spoiler for you then I gladly withdraw the question

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 22, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

If that's including stuff like filling out every enemy's drop list, getting every pin, etc the first TWEWY probably took around 100 hours to 100% too, so I could see that being fairly accurate.

Not to mention there’s probably going to be some postgame chapters like the first one had.

I wonder if Square plans on turning TWEWY into its own franchise or if NEO will have a fairly conclusive ending like the original did (though those two points aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if you preordered NEO can you play it early then? Because I just turned on my PS4 and the game started installing for me.

Edit: Seems like it’s just an early download, the timer underneath the icon still says 1 day 9 hr

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Virtue posted:

First batch of reviews are out and seem largely positive.

No surprise there, I was impressed by the demo at the very least (the combat seemed a bit easy to me but from what I hear that changes real fast)

I actually wouldn't mind Square turning this into a new franchise provided they could make it work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Drashin posted:

For those of you have have it preloaded it looks like there is a day one patch that was just released so you might want to make sure you have it downloaded if you want to play as soon as it unlocks

Judging by the timer the game should be playable by 11 PM tonight for those that preordered it (you apparently get some pretty decent pins as a bonus for doing so as well) but good to know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

The day 1 patch is actually kinda significant, it contains three major balance changes (one of which appears to have been the result of a bugfix, but still). I've never seen anything like it before.

Not to spoil much but one of the balance changes fixes a pretty significant criticism I had while playing the unpatched version, so I'm glad the vast majority of people who will play NEO don't have to put up with that.

To be fair, if it’s a day one patch then most people aren’t going to know said bugs/balance issues were there to begin with so is it something you can put in vague terms? Like, was it a particularly annoying mission/enemy type/boss or something that got changed/removed by the patch?

If you can’t explain without spoiling something major then nevermind of course

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That does sound annoying I’ll admit. I assume Scramble Slams are also mandatory more often than not?

So if you’re just doing the main story from beginning to end and not caring about 100% completion, roughly how long should this game take you to finish in terms of overall hours? About as long as the first one did?

Also do they ever implement some sort of fast travel system or do you still have to run all over the city (or cities as the case may be considering we see more than one set of Reapers in the trailer) every in-game day to get where you need to go?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Now that the game is officially out, I assume there’s some postgame stuff after the story like the first one so couple questions:

1: Do you need to do anything special to unlock it or is it just given to you after beating the game ala Another Day (I mostly ask because if there’s some extra busywork to be done I’d like to be aware of it long beforehand)?

Also does the game give you the option to start anywhere in the story after you beat it the first time like the OG did?

2: Is it worth doing unless you’re a completionist?

Game seems fun so far though and those extra threads you get as a preorder bonus are pretty decent to be honest. Also I’m glad there doesn’t seem to be a restriction on what threads/armor you wear this time around.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Terper posted:

You don't even have to beat the game, you get the option to go back to any previous day halfway through week 1.

Neat, so how many weeks are there this time (spoiler tag it if you have to)?

Edit: According to the achievement list there’s 3 weeks just like the last game and this apparently even has its own Another Day as well

Also how soon do you get the ability to change the difficulty and where’s the patch that was mentioned earlier (I never got any update notification)?

I kind of wish there was an ability to skip cutscenes so I didn’t have to sit through the scenes at the end of the demo again though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those who got it early and finished already, what’s this game’s Another Day like and is it worth playing?

Also is that it in terms of postgame content aside from Noise collection/possible secret reports or is there a secret mode and/or ending you have to unlock through some means?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Gotcha, thanks

I believe the ability to change the difficulty isn’t given to you until Week 1 Day 4 to be exact

Also I’m guessing the demo upped your defense a bit since enemies seem to hit a lot harder/take a bit less damage in the main game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nagi is….weird but I kind of like her. So are these 4 basically your team for the rest of the game or do you get new partners as things progress (also will you ever get more than 4 teammates at some point)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Neo TWEWY plot speculation/spoilers below up to day 7

I am fully expecting Minamimoto to betray or fully abandon the party, given what I already know of his behavior from TWEWY. His behavior in Neo continues to be super suspicious, and frankly, I'll find it a bigger twist if he doesn't betray the Wicked Twisters.

Based on New Day from the Switch version of the first game it seems he was revived as Neku’s new game partner (who is literally on the title screen and was confirmed as appearing by the trailer at the end of the demo) and seems to currently be trying to lure our old buddy Phones out of hiding

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So on Week 1 Day 4 I’m having trouble with the last of the Ryoji clues. Where’s “a yellow building’s entrance”?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Literally just found it after I posted that but thanks

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I highly recommend doing the Prince sidequest on the same day as completing it gives you the ability to automatically cash in money pins the second you get them.

So based on the ramen sidequest I assume this game takes place about 3 years after the original? It’s either that or not long after A New Day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

NEO takes place three years after the original, yes.

That’s what I figured, also it seems like nearly every character from the original returns in this game in some form or another (I like Beat’s new design by the way)

As I mentioned. this game apparently has its own Another Day as well so I look forward to seeing what weirdness awaits me there

So far this game appears to be a massive improvement over the first game in most respects (I like that chaining Noise battles also increases the drop rate as a result and your destination (usually) being marked on the map is a helpful touch as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Just got my rear end kicked by some sharks :mad:

Both of those were in the first game, though :v:

True, the characters in the new game don’t seem quite as memorable as the first set though but they still have their moments.

Also it seems that a “A New Day” from the Switch version of the first game is pretty important to the plot of NEO so if you didn’t play that version/mode I suggest looking up a video (or at least reading a wiki summary) before you get too far into it. Like, before you hit the second week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also having just gone through Day 5 may I add that the time travel mechanic can be loving tedious at times. Is this the worst of it though?

Speaking of gimmicks, is there a trick to Fret’s mechanic? Mostly I’ve just been rotating the sticks randomly until I got lucky.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

It's just outside Glutton 4 Gluten in Center Street, yes.

Day 5 is the low point of the game, yeah. It's also by far the longest Replay section, which is part of why it's the low point.

Thank christ for that then, good to know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Where on the menu is the option to return to previous days anyway (and is there a way to bail out early and return to the present)? Also in regards to the second point, if you complete a sidequest on a previously completed day and then eject without finishing the day itself will said sidequest still be counted as completed?

At least they added the ability to skip cutscenes you previously watched this time at least.

Also how much of a postgame does NEO have? Is it just Another Day (and how does that work this time around)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even on Easy the game seems a lot less stingy about handing out EXP than it’s predecessor did. Sharks are still annoying though (until you can pull them out of the “water” that is)

Also as it hasn’t happened to me yet what happens when you lose a fight? Do you go back to right before the battle or are you given the option to retry/reload from your last save ala the Kingdom Hearts series?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Yeah, about that: I don't think Easy actually helps you kill enemies any faster, it just makes them do less damage to you.

Works for me either way

Also the Ruinbringer leader is totally a reaper isn’t he? It’d explain why his team is always on top despite the fact they never really do anything during the Game itself

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

I can confirm this. Easy just reduces the damage you take by 50%, it doesn't increase the damage you deal. For the privilege of that plus bad pin drops, you...get your EXP and PP halved.

Didn’t you do slightly more damage on Easy in the original game or am I misremembering?

So what’s Ultimate mode like then (I assume you unlock it via a social link or by beating the game)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

Ultimate halves the damage you deal, and multiplies the damage you take by 2.5x. I don't remember the exact values for the original, but I do know that NEO's is far more punishing.

Lance Lunge pins are sadly very few and far between. Even when you do get later ones, they do not last anywhere near as long as Honor and Sacrifice does.

Yeesh, so what’s the advantage of playing on Ultimate then? Better pin drops/EXP?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, what are some good pins for Nagi and Minamimoto? I’ve been getting pretty good results so far with Rindo’s lance and Fret’s lightning to the point where those two are basically carrying the team for me at the moment.