Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Thanks. Also for anyone who got the game early, does the game ever get challenging at some point? I pretty much breezed my way through the demo (though the Day 2 boss was kind of annoying) and it seems like once you get the hang of things you can basically decimate foes faster than they can even make a significant dent in your HP.

Also can you get healing pins in this game at some point? If so, how do they work in the new combat system?

Having finished the game earlier today, there's definitely some really significant difficulty spikes at certain points in the story, especially if you're playing on Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Infinity Gaia posted:

On the note of difficulty, pro-tip for when the game comes out for real: Don't just stick to one difficulty, at least not if you want more pin variety. I haven't beaten the game yet but I've already ran across enemies who drop three different unique pins across Easy Normal and Hard. Filling in the full drop list for each enemy is actually a pretty good idea.

Yup! A worryingly high amount of high-end enemies and bosses just drop material pins when on Hard, compared to lower difficulties where they drop pins you can actually use. Same with even just regular Noise, I have way more metal material pins (Rare Metal, Tektite, Adamantite, Orichalcum, and Shadow Matter) than I know what to do with because they're just so common on Hard.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ImpAtom posted:

It's the scorpions, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure it's the chameleons. gently caress the chameleons so much.

Larryb posted:

Can you still sell off pins you don’t need like you could in the first game?

Also how does food and clothing work in NEO? Is there still a Bravery stat for the latter like there was in the original?

Yes, though before you get Garage Sale, which lets you batch sell dupe pins, or ShibuPay Autoload, which automatically cashes yen pins in when you receive them (either through battle or through scenario rewards), you need to go to a store to cash pins in. Once you get Garage Sale, you can batch sell your dupe pins from the menu.

Bravery has been replaced by Style. Abilities on threads are now always visible, and any character can equip any thread, but they need a certain amount of Style to activate the thread's ability.

You now order food and immediately eat it at the restaurant. Every food has a certain amount of calories, replacing the bytes system from the original game. Characters no longer have individual stomach capacities, it's shared across the entire party. Much like the first game, you empty the hunger gauge by fighting battles. You can choose to go over 100% stomach capacity, but that means you can't eat any more food until you've completely emptied the fullness gauge. If you stay under 100%, you can eat more food without having to get the gauge to 0%.

As a replacement for characters' food preferences influencing the sync bonus they get from food, if a character really likes the food they eat now, they get a Tasty Bonus, which either increases one of the food's stat increases, or gives a random other stat boost.

Minor note: there's no longer any food that guaranteed increases your drop rate, ala the curious mushrooms or the Absolute Shadow Ramen from the first game, but very rarely, if you feed a character a food they enjoy, you can get a Tasty Bonus that permanently increases your drop rate by 2.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

So does wearing different clothing/accessories actually alter your appearance at all in this game? Also, how long do you have to play until you get the Garage Sale/ShibuPay options?

Threads do not alter your appearance, no. Garage Sale can be unlocked on Day 4, and ShibuPay Autoload can be unlocked on Day 5.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The day 1 patch is actually kinda significant, it contains three major balance changes (one of which appears to have been the result of a bugfix, but still). I've never seen anything like it before.

Not to spoil much but one of the balance changes fixes a pretty big criticism I had while playing the unpatched version, so I'm glad the vast majority of people who will play NEO don't have to put up with that.

Rea fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 27, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

To be fair, if it’s a day one patch then most people aren’t going to know said bugs/balance issues were there to begin with so unless it’s a story spoiler what got changed? Was there a particularly annoying enemy type/boss or something?

If it is a story spoiler then nevermind of course unless you can be vague about it.

It's a mechanic discussed in a presskit well beforehand, so I don't feel bad discussing it.

Scramble Slams were loving miserable before this patch. Not necessarily to just power through and get over with, but getting the rewards on your first go around—something the game very much expects that you can do—was goddamn impossible in the unpatched version. You just didn't get enough points per battle without having to, I'm not kidding, deliberately equip low-power pins so you can continually get SP off of doing beatdrops. On the first one especially you just don't have enough opportunities to earn SP without sandbagging hard. It was bizarre and counterintuitive and BAD.

To be clear, Scramble Points are things you get from doing battle either with rival team groups, or with Turf Noise groups. They're also active in any battles you chain together with a rival team group or Turf Noise. You get them by dealing damage to enemies, erasing enemies, and by getting beatdrops. Getting beatdrops increases your combo modifier, which increases the amount of SP you get from any of those things. One Noise per battle is marked as a bonus Noise, which multiplies all SP gained from it by 3x, on top of your combo modifier.

The patch fixes things by vastly increasing the max SP combo modifier (to 5x from 2x) and the rate at which you gain combo modifiers (to 0.4x per combo action from 0.1x). To compensate, they removed the bonus based on your current Groove, and the bonus for rare Noise groups, but those are small potatoes compared to being able to consistently get higher amounts of SP. You also just generally get 5% more SP for dealing damage than you did in the unpatched game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

That does sound annoying I’ll admit. I assume Scramble Slams are also mandatory more often than not?

So if you’re just doing the main story from beginning to end and not caring about 100% completion, roughly how long should this game take you to finish in terms of overall hours? About as long as the first one did?

Also do they ever implement some sort of fast travel system or do you still have to run all over the city (or cities as the case may be considering we see more than one set of Reapers in the trailer) every in-game day to get where you need to go?

Scramble Slams are mandatory, getting the rewards for them is not. You can get through them doing the absolute minimum, you just won't get any rewards.

I'd put my final story clear time at...40? 50 hours? I wasn't keeping track.

You still have to walk around Shibuya to get everywhere, yes. No fast travel.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
e: i'm a dumbass and misread lmao

Rea fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 27, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Looking at S-E NA's press website, seems like they're still sticking to "Summer 2021" for the PC version. You'd think they'd have at least said "August 2021" or "September 2021" specifically by this point, they're rapidly running out of summer.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Terper posted:

W1D6:

I'll take it!

Hell of a lot better than what I was able to do in the unpatched game, where I could only get 10k, maybe it was 15k.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Incidentally, there's a very good reason to give characters food they like besides just extra stat boosts: sometimes, the Tasty Bonus can permanently boost your drop rate.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Also I highly recommend doing the Prince sidequest on the same day as completing it gives you the ability to automatically cash in money pins the second you get them.

So based on the ramen sidequest I assume this game takes place about 3 years after the original? It’s either that or not long after A New Day.

NEO takes place three years after the original, yes.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Outside the ramen place in Center Street.

E: Might be Tipsy Tose Hall? I think its Center Street

It's just outside Glutton 4 Gluten in Center Street, yes.

Larryb posted:

Also having just gone through Day 5 may I add that the time travel mechanic can be loving tedious at times. Is this the worst of it though?

Speaking of gimmicks, is there a trick to Fret’s mechanic? Mostly I’ve just been rotating the sticks randomly until I got lucky.

Day 5 is the low point of the game, yeah. It's also by far the longest Replay section, which is part of why it's the low point.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
My problem with shark Noise is less their damage-dealing capability, and more how annoying it is to pull them out of the water. Wastes a lot of time, which is really not cool during a Dive.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Yeah, about that: I don't think Easy actually helps you kill enemies any faster, it just makes them do less damage to you.

I can confirm this. Easy just reduces the damage you take by 50%, it doesn't increase the damage you deal. For the privilege of that plus bad pin drops, you...get your EXP and PP halved.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Didn’t you do slightly more damage on Easy in the original game or am I misremembering?

So what’s Ultimate mode like then (I assume you unlock it via a social link or by beating the game)?

Ultimate halves the damage you deal, and multiplies the damage you take by 2.5x. I don't remember the exact values for the original, but I do know that NEO's is far more punishing.

Terper posted:

I desperately want an upgrade to Honor and Sacrifice, that one huge Lance pin. Lasts a long while, huge reach, and gets the sharks out with a three hit combo. One of my faves, but haven't gotten a similar type in a long while now.

Lance Lunge pins are sadly very few and far between. Even when you do get later ones, they do not last anywhere near as long as Honor and Sacrifice does.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Yeesh, so what’s the advantage of playing on Ultimate then? Better pin drops/EXP?

Also what are some good pins for Nagi and Minamimoto? I’ve been getting pretty good results so far with Rindo’s Lance and Fret’s lightning to the point where those two are basically carrying the team for me at the moment.

A lot of the high-end pins (including, importantly, one of this game's equivalent of the Darklit Planets set) are locked behind super low-chance drops on Ultimate. That's the main incentive.

You can also only farm Scarletite, one of the two postgame-only material pins, through drops on Ultimate. The only other sources are one (1) pig, and TOKYU HANDS 3F, which only sells a limited amount.

Rea fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 28, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Arzaac posted:

Wait a minute, that reminds me. Scarletite was kind of a nasty trick from the first game, because you got loads from story events and therefore it was easy to assume it wasn't a super limited resource. Does this game do anything similar?

Not particularly? The elementary particle material pins (Axion, Dilaton, Dibaryon, Sfermion) are the closest thing to original game Scarletite, but they're given out through non-farmable sources (Scramble Slam first-time rewards, pigs, scenario rewards, etc.), so as long as you find every source of them, you're not gonna miss out on anything that requires them. You don't have to grind a shitload of other materials to get them, like you did with the original game's Scarletite.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is there anything Kingdom Hearts related in this game

No.

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 28, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's linear, you'll find it eventually.

I want a vague answer to something that's bugging me plot wise (I'm Week 2 Day 2) just looking for a W1D3 kinda way but I'm legit asking When does Rindo finally talk to Swallow. I'm at the point where I just mash through whatever the gently caress they're talking about because it's quite literally "Hey Swallow I have a question..." "Yea :)?" "Nevermind." then him monologing to himself if he should really ask and WHAT IF THEY'RE ON ANOTHER TEAM.

Like I want to know who they are but this plot thread has now spun it's wheels to the point I'm actively annoyed and just want them to stop bringing it up 3 times a day. I don't think I can last all of week 2 suffering this slog. I don't want to know details or anything but I long since stopped caring and just want to know what day I'll be free.

Literally the day after where you're at is where Rindo finally breaks the question. :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

YggiDee posted:

Are Shiki and Eri running Gatto Nero???

Yup! In a fun bit of continuity with the first game, Shiki starting up Gatto Nero is exactly what Hanekoma said happens to Players who get reincarnated: they go on to produce wonderful things, and stir the masses' Imagination.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Scramble Slam is the worst thing they could of come up with because I have a feeling those pins are only gettable from them, and as much as I enjoy the combat having nothing but fight fight fight fight is draining. Got to it on Week 2 and just put the game down for the night because I wanna see more but not in the mood for that.

The Stop-and-Go Ensemble pins can only be obtained from the Scramble Slam first prizes, yes.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Ah missed that somehow, so just like the first game then. Does a sidequest still count as complete if you bail out before the day is over though (and I assume if you have to still play each day right from beginning)?

Yes, you can hop into a day to do a sidequest, and as soon as it's done, go back to where you were in the story. You don't have to complete the day for sidequests to be recorded as complete.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Phew. That was brutal, took me a few hours' worth of battles, spread out across most of today and a little bit of yesterday to finally do. Scramble Slams on the first go-around are definitely viable, but I'd be lying if I said it was easy. I had about four rival team fights left after I hit 400k points, so I took it easy and stopped chaining battles after that—as such, I wasn't as close to the points requirements as it seems, but still.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

are What A Shock and Just Keep Swimming any good as pins?

Individually? Just Keep Swimmin'! is fairly good for most of Week 1 and early Week 2, though it falls off. What a Shock! is just sort of bad.

However, all three pins form an ensemble with Stop the Music!, another Scramble Slam reward. When worn together, the damage they deal is doubled, turning them into an endgame and even postgame-viable pin set. What a Shock! is still sort of bad, but it can be okay for remotely activating beatdrops.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

So are healing pins worth using in this game? Because unless there’s a few later on that can also damage enemies it seems with the new battle system whoever has one equipped will basically become a sitting duck for the entire fight.

They're good for long chains of random fights, Final Time Attack, and the final boss, because it's an incredibly long fight with no checkpoints.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Simple question, missed all 3 quests first time on W1D5 and doing it to get them. Came up to a guy in a red shirt and the gang went 'no time to worry about this guy lol' and then he vanishes.

How do I activate that quest

That's not a quest, that's the guy you have to get to TOWER RECORDS as part of the Replay segment.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Is Hanekoma himself in this game at all? I know he at least gets a few mentions here and there.

Oh, maybe I misread but I thought the game said something about you being able to skip cutscenes by pressing R2 (or the equivalent button in the other versions), I haven’t actually gone back to a previous day to confirm this though.

Speaking of, if you’re in like the middle of a particular day and go back to a previous one to do a sidequest or something will you then have to start your current day over from the beginning again when you return?

Hanekoma is still the writer of the Secret Reports, but he doesn't physically show up.

The R2/ZR thing is for rapidly skipping through dialogue boxes, like what the original game let you do with the d-pad/face buttons after finishing the game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jesus Christ the W3D4 boss fight is fun as hell but also a nightmare and I have no idea how you’re supposed to do that one

Leo Cantus Armo, yeah? He's nightmarish, yeah, easily the most active story boss—only second-most difficult, though, imo. You basically are just meant to load up on water affinity pins and be really on the ball with dodging the pillars.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, just so I’m prepared how much of a pain is the final boss of this game (you mentioned it’s a pretty long fight at least)? Also any particular pins you’d recommend taking into it?

I'd recommend bringing along a rebooting healing pin, the only time I'd recommend that for the entire game. The fight is long enough that I think it's necessary, especially because you're probably not going to be building up Killer Remixes fast enough to cover your healing needs.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Lotus Aura posted:

These days are getting real long and I don't wanna have to redo this one later so (W2D4) is there anything extra you get for doing all the urban legend sections or can you just move on without worry once the wall's removed?

Some of the rewards for turning in the urban legends are elementary particle material pins, of which you only get a limited amount of, and for which getting all of them is necessary for 100% completion. I'd recommend doing them all.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Regalingualius posted:

So, is it practically impossible to hit 60k in the Week 1 scramble, then?

It's possible, but you really have to understand the tricks of earlygame Scramble Slams to do it. I managed it, but I legit don't know how to fully describe how I did. A lot of it comes down to just unleashing as many attacks as you can during a mashup, preferably the non-elemental one, and going for as many of the low-groove beatdrops as you can.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Caidin posted:

Man poo poo is getting really obnoxiously tanky as the game goes on. I smoked Tsugami or whatever or her name is giant bird girl form no problem in a minute or two, now I can't even beat the timer on the mandatory dive on W3D1 after mostly getting the gold on them until now. I don't think I've picked a gimped pin load out or anything? poo poo seems to just be taking forever to die.

Hold up, figured it out. Turns out I misread a pair of pants that were tanking my teams attack in exchange for enhanced metabolism. Annoying!

lmao yeah, the Christmassy Pants are a huge trap in that regard. Did you know that in the unpatched game, it was possible for the Autostyle option to auatomatically equip Jinxed threads? Enjoy being automatically equipped with threads that halve your damage and automatically put you in mortal peril!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Araxxor posted:

:stare: I assume that was the possible bugfix you mentioned earlier?

That was fixed in the day 1 patch, yes, though there's another one that was arguably more impactful.

Killer Remixes, in the unpatched game, were affected by abilities that boosted ATK, which could make them ridiculously powerful.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Araxxor posted:

I assume the original multipliers operated under the assumption that you'd be overkilling every single noise possible... which isn't really how players end up playing the game. Wonder if they saw how players were playing the demo and realized that would not line up with the scoring system in Scramble Slams.

The game has a lot of telemetry internally, so yeah, entirely possible they looked at metrics from reviewers/influencers, saw that SP totals were in the pits, and made an emergency change for the day 1 patch.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Regalingualius posted:

W2D1: what’s the trick to the pair of pigs that keep regenerating?

You need to defeat them both within a few seconds of each other. Lower one to low HP, kill the other one, then quickly kill the first one.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Infinity Gaia posted:

That certainly explains why I always had so much trouble in SS, my entire playstyle revolves around small multihit pins and using crowd control finishers that also mostly did small damage. Was that in the tutorial somewhere or is the game just that bad at explaining the mechanics of SS?

It's either really bad at explaining things or deliberately hiding the mechanics from players for whatever reason.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Nameless Pete posted:

Picks up the story exactly where you left off, thankfully. It even remembers which street you were on when you left.

Is it me or does ATK Boost on threads not actually DO anything? My stats don't change, it's not in the list of active outfit effects and even with a full set the Noise seem like they're all taking too long to actually whittle down. My guys' DEF is sitting at about twice where their ATK is at.

ATK Boost does actually do something, though it's limited to whoever wears it. The game pretty aggressively floors and ceilings damage—what's your party's specific ATK, what pins are you using, where are you in the story?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Supremezero posted:

So besides pin mutation, does it matter at all who uses what pin type? Like is someone better with some types or something?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Doesn’t Fret give an attack and speed boost to any pin he has equipped? That’s what it says on the ability list at least, I think the others besides Rindo get some extra bonuses as well.

...No? Where are you reading that, I haven't seen that anywhere. I'll freely admit I could be missing something, but that's new to me.