Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Well, just started this after dodging as much spoilers as I could. I also have no idea what promotional materials spoiled.

Reached day 6 week 1 and it surely will be the only week of the game, please ignore the giant neon "not trustworthy" sign above Minamimoto at the moment.

I miss the first game's battle system. To be fair it took a while to grow on me so I'm going to trust the game.
I assume I didn't gently caress myself by picking the "auto-convert ¥ pins into actual ¥" ability, since I can't turn it off.
The ruleset around players and team-ups seems a bit different. Relatedly, who the hell thought allowing PvP was a good idea? (Reapers count as E for the PvP/PvE distinction)
Rindo, how did you miss Swallow there? Their phone was ringing right as you were messaging them. Speaking of, I think I saw that arm somewhere already, let's check Neku's old sprite while I'm writing this post. Nope not it. Shiki's plushie I saw in the opening. That chain is not Joshua's style. Let's check out the last HOLY poo poo hi Beat :stoked:.
Party member #3 rules. To be fair, so do Rindo, Fret and #4. I like their interactions already.
Rindo and Fret are in really deep denial about what erasure means. Somebody pass the popcorn, this gonna be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Regalingualius posted:

There’s no funkiness with “you need to pay with an actual 10k yen pin” this time around, thankfully.

I was thinking "mastered 1¥ pin trade" but yeah, I assumed I either could switch it off or it wouldn't matter.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:bisonyes:
Got a new party member
:sickos:

Can we put Kariya (and if she's still here his partner whatshername) in charge of the Game once we clean house AGAIN?
Seriously, it's been three years in-universe and we're back to the Conductor* cheating like a jerk like nothing happened. What's the problem with the resurrections requiring filibustering THIS time?

*although I like his "sheeple of Shibuya" shtick, it really makes me want to cave his face in.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

hyphz posted:

You’re meant to want to cave Shiba’s face in.
I had no doubt.

quote:

Answers to the other questions would be spoilers.
Oh, I know, just shooting random musings on how is the situation hosed THIS time. Seriously, Beat feels it's even worse now and last time we had the Conductor deleting all the other players to make sure Neku couldn't fight so :stonklol:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm getting my rear end kicked by 10-chain reductions.
I love it.

E: and Fret is simply rocking his Gothic Princess outfit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:stare:
:stonk:
:stonklol:

Speculation incoming, if I'm right it's BIG spoilers:
holy poo poo the Ruinbringers are Reapers. I bet their third is Shiba. This also explain why PvP is on, it's to disguise the cheating "team" as a player one. They can't participate in turf wars because they're not actually Players and that'd be against the rules.
(Sidenote: they're only three people and thus they simply couldn't compete my rear end, put Reversi dude on defense and Tsugumi on offense and they wouldn't even need the third to dominate)

I'm assuming our friend(?) the Composer isn't Composer anymore because drat this level of cheating goes way beyond anything that happened in the first game. The Game between Composer and Conductor there had at least a semblance of fairness and the Players just happened to be caught in the crossfire.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Who I first thought was Swallow can't be Swallow, so speculation time.
Option MT for Maximum Troll: they're Shiba. Chances: very low, and as far as I can tell Rindo and Fret are just two dudes, not the Chosen Ones like Neku*

Option 2: Shokie. It would explain A LOT. Chances: I'm feeling good about this one.

*sidenote: I think I fully appreciate why people were freaking out in the first game about Neku being able to use all the pins at once, after being given a normal party who can use only one pin per person**.
If this is how normal people have to fight I can retroactively imagine the general :psyduck: when Neku bust out his 6-pin deck with multiple overlapping buttons gestures day 1.

**that loving ability is taunting me since day 2 :argh:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:catstare:

The combo attacks at 300% groove are absolutely fair and balanced (gameplay spoilers) the whole team going freaking Joshua but invulnerable while the groove lasts.

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda got the impression from what Sho said early on that because of whatever reason anyone could use any pin but only one in the new Game, compared to before where you could use however many you had the aptitude, which is All Of Them for Neku and one type for Shiki/Beat, but it’s six for gameplay purposes.

Equipment restrictions are a massive pain so I can pretend pin selection is still limited for normal players and we don't see it for the sake of gameplay. (For the same reason of course everyone has zero problem dressing up in whatever clown suit boosts the relevant stats more or crossdressing)
Then again as you said, the new Game has a different ruleset and maybe they found a way to let every player equip any pin.

But nevertheless Rindo still can't do the absolute combat BS that Neku pulled from battle 1. All the juggling and hammering the noise with well timed attacks the new team does during gameplay? Neku could pull it solo*.
*His teammate was on the other screen, you know what I mean.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

From what I see, bombs have really good burst (and thus interruption by damage) but actually lowish dps, while the charge-up is also horrible for dodging. Don't get me wrong, I'm always rocking one or two because they're also AoE but they have noticeable drawbacks that need to be played around.

Shooting pins are the safe option and they can easily trigger and consume beatdrop combos. Their beatdrop trigger tend to be simply the finisher on non-elemental ones while elemental finishers have a massive chance of triggering their status (and thus beatdrop).

Melee pins are probably the best DPS but well, melee. In addition if you don't have a good handle on when hit stun immunity kicks in plenty of noise have hard punishes against melee.

I suck at dash pins so no thoughts there.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Me: "Oh come on do if you want me to take those plot encounters seriously do a 5-chain at least, this poo poo is easy"
Game: "Fine, have a 2-chain boss battle"
Me, five tries later: "Awesome, keep it up"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ugh, whoever designed that final boss needs to take a long walk off a short pier. It was not difficult, it was freaking unreadable. A lot of fights really would have benefited from fixed cameras.

Time to revisit everything. What's the best way to do scrambles, drop down to easy/normal and chain 1 scramble noise at a time with 14 to 19 normal symbols?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I mean, early days I should go ultimate because the noise would drop like flies otherwise and I've got a pin that can build 150% grove off a single good combo so healing shouldn't be a problem outside of one shots. loving sharks
I'll do some testing while farming food I think; does jinxed metabo affect everyone's attack or only who has it equipped?

Relatedly, would another day unlock (implied story spoilers) a new old party member?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Standard evolutions go into the next pin #ID from what I've seen, I'm going to assume mutations do too without the ability to check right now.

Translation: either there are exceptions and we're fully hosed, or we're just half hosed by needing to go into the pin compendium every time to see if the next #ID is already known for each evolving pin.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Larryb posted:

An rear end in a top hat

Gotta love what they did at the end. (massive spoilers obv)

Shoka: I'm fine with getting erased
Josh: No that's dumb back to the RG with you
Rindo: Hold on there's hundreds of thousands people in Shibuya where did you send her?
Josh: That's your problem not mine, better get searching

:allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Last Celebration posted:

Let’s be honest now, that poo poo’s at least partially on Rindo for not checking his messages, if Joshua was on his old bullshit he would have just deleted all her messages to him.

I think Rindo might be the stupidest member of the Wicked Twisters tbh, which is quite a harrowing thought. Still love him though.

(ending spoilers)
Let's be honest, it's quite clear* that after a couple weeks Reapers decided to get matters into their own hands and used the Game and the current batch of players to make sure those two would meet (via Imprinting and the like, players better get creative) because there's rules and they couldn't simply grab Rindo by his neck and drag him to Shoka, goddammit check your mail you idiot your girlfriend is trying to contact you.
*source: my rear end but it would make sense

Unrelated clarification: a perk of being a Reaper is that you can cross back to the RG in your spare time, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Louisgod posted:

When do you unlock the social links for Shiba and Kanon so you can equip extra uber pins? Only being able to equip one through half the game sucks.

IIRC you get two other Uber unlocks from sidequests before Kanon finally links from plot. Shiba links like 5 minutes before the final boss.

Uh, by the way, start saving 13 FP when approaching endgame, that's what ultimate difficulty and boss noise symbols spawning cost in total.