Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, Rindo and Fret don't seem to have died and they still made it into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Actually they probably are (remember the start of the game involved one of them pushing the other out of the way of a moving truck and I think there’s a part in the demo where one of the Reapers flat out told them they were dead).

Regardless, maybe this Reaper’s Game has different rules or something (after all, Players now work in teams of 3 rather than 2 and based on the recent trailer can apparently attack one another as well).

I mean they're in the game so of course Reapers assume they're dead but we follow them pretty closely from pre-death and thanks to some time-travel no one appears to have died.

And they were already seeing noise and players before the whole truck thing. Something weird is happening.

E: The Reaper game definitely has a bunch of different rules though and I feel like the whole reason Sho is helping out is to scope out what's changed with the Game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i'm going to assume this has an ending-ending and it's not going to do the KH3 thing where it sets up an expanded universe or a crossover

the first twewy ended really well and if i'm going to wade back into this i'd like that again

Later KH stuff seemed pretty clear on there not being a crossover, it just got very meta. So I really doubt there is going to be a crossover with KH or anything.

Larryb posted:

So does wearing different clothing/accessories actually alter your appearance at all in this game? Also, how long do you have to play until you get the Garage Sale/ShibuPay options?

Also does the game take place over the course of 3 weeks like the first one did or is it more/less than that this time?

Can we keep any questions related to NEO spoilers to like pms or something? Like even asking about mechanics or whatever is iffy but asking how many weeks the game lasts is kinda far imo. Just search for the leaks or something if you need that info.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you're just looking for length, the devs have said in interviews that 100% completion is about 100 hours long which i'm betting is an exaggeration but it seems like a decently long game.

Asking how many weeks though just feels like getting too into the specifics, like if there's a twist and we get an extra week or whatever you'd know that something is coming. Though maybe i'm thinking too hard on it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean this is by a lot of the same devs I think? So it's not just people trying to capture the essence of the original without having had a hand in what actually made it great or anything. And even the original Twewy also had a lot of its plot steeped in the mechanics of the UG and the reapers and all that.

Not that all that means Neo will definitely be as good as the 1st game, but I don't think those are exactly warning signs or anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I played a good amount today and i'm starting to see the teeth of the combat system. The enemies are still pretty simple but on hard some of the stronger noise like the Sharks or Scorpions can tear you to pieces in seconds if they tag you and the scoprions have huge range and poison as well. Still on the easier side so far but I can see how they can make these fights pretty hard.

Game's pretty fun so far imo. Seems like most of the 1st week is still basically prologue mode and the training wheels aren't quite off yet but the game's got good presentation, a fun cast, a great soundtrack and good combat. I'm really glad to be playing a new Twewy game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tower Records

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Where do I find “sinful ramen” on day 4? Only one haven’t found

Outside the ramen place in Center Street.

E: Might be Tipsy Tose Hall? I think its Center Street

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, days are getting real long. Hoping that's just because i'm at the end of week 1 and the next few days will be a bit shorter, it's getting a bit exhausting.

Also, speaking about the end of Week 1 I saw in the thread that the points from Scramble Slam have been boosted in a day 1 patch but I still didn't perform well enough to get any of the prizes and I thought I did pretty good. Is the patch yet to hit Switch or would some higher chains really give that big a boost?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I missed that you could chain for the player fights, that'd probably explain it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I had a really weird glitch once where I couldn't change pins except from the recommended options but closing the menu and reopening it again it was fine and I could change pins as normal.

Also as far as i'm aware the only limitation for pins is that you can't have multiple with the same input. Otherwise it's totally free form.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you're looking for a walkthrough just type that into google. There's already full playthroughs of the game up so you'll probably find something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I remember the original also being filled with puzzles and riddles.

I feel like there's a lot more combat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's not the sidequest, that's one of the time travel things you do for the nerds.

The sidequest in Spain Hill is a kid up some stairs in the back.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You don't get the skill from them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Mammoths have a pretty simple pattern and super telegraphed attacks but they do so much damage I still found it hard to take several of them in chains. They're long enough fights that if I fight several in a row i'm absolutely going to mess up just a couple of times and instantly go from max hp to 0.

Still probably got a better track record against them than the scorpions though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They spit em back out after a while.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

do you need to replay a boss Noise's specific chapter for the chance at their pin? i vaguely remember them showing up as regular Noise in the first TWEWY but that might have been a postgame thing

Halfway through week 2 and I think the only boss noise that hasn't shown up again is the Gorilla. So if you want his pins I think you might need to replay Day 2 but that's it so far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You can do it pretty easily if you've unlocked 10 chains though it still feels real grindy. I was on pace to complete it with half the areas done but then I got bored from all the fights and decided to rush the the rest and leave getting top score till i'm finished with the game. It's just very long.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beat really freshens up the party dynamic once he joins up. It helps that unlike Sho he's always around so he develops more of a rapport with everyone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man the 3rd Scramble Slam is strangely reasonable, even easy. This is kinda what I was expecting the standard amount of effort to get all rewards would be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

It’s probably been mentioned before but neat little detail: RG Shiki is one of the shop owners in this game (I forget which store though).

I don't think this is true.

BisbyWorl posted:

I can see some of what they're getting at, even early on.

Motoi revealing himself as An0ther to Rindo feels very much like a retread of Neku finding out Hanekoma was CAT in the last game. The protagonist finds out his idol is part of the Game.

Maybe on the surface but it plays out way differently.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've hard a bunch of deaths to long chains and that's at about level parity for dives and stuff. Though i've only been playing on hard.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

I must have missed an Uber unlock as I didn’t get my first one until after W3D3, how do you get the earlier one then?

W2D5

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I completely forgot the first one was a network unlock. I remembered it as just being something you got access to by advancing the story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Presumably the Conductor or Game Master can give Reapers their powers because Beat becomes a reaper in the first game while the Composer is unavailable.

And no, the games don't go into how any of the Reapers died. Hell, the first game doesn't even go into how Shiki died. It's not an angle they seem interested in exploring and its kinda irrelevant anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All members of Def March are reapers if I recall.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just got through Week 2 and man, when i'm not trying to master some garbage pins this game's combat is super good. The boss fights especially have all been really great.

Story's heating up as well though I kinda think Shoka needed another day with the party for her betrayal (and rejoing the party) to really land. Glad she's joined the team though, she's cool and having a 5th pin rules a lot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've been waiting for it all game but they sure picked a hell of a moment to finally play Twister. drat Week 3 starts strong.

The latter half of Week 2 finally started getting deeper into exploring the characters but then week 3 hits and they're suddenly going all in with each day being a pretty good dive into each party member. And it's been really great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Who's everyone's favorite Shinjuku reaper as a aside.

I got Suzy K as mine. Originally I found his 'btw I'm good' twist loving stupid but going back through the game and realizing that no he's been honest the whole time really brought him up. Him testing the twisters in week 1 with Ryoji and following them around to see how they play, the fact that his favorite game is one where he needs to really plan things out and a lot of his actions really do build up to him actually being a pretty on the up and up dude. That and he's hilarious.

Kaie is probably my runner up even though it took until someone said his name out loud for me to realize it wasn't Kale

Susukichi or Shoka are the only real answers here. I can't imagine anyone choosing any of the others, Shokie and Susy K just stand well above the rest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's pretty lame that Haz's whole deal is really only in the Secret Reports because he's got a cool design and I like his whole vibe a lot from his brief appearance. I wish more of the stuff from the reports was actually in the story because I'm kinda really into the idea of Haz not being for Kubo's plan but allowing it to happen just to see what Josh will do and Josh responding by literally doing nothing for the entire game even when Shibuya is destroyed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You got to be attacking with two pins at the same time or else he'll just dodge it. The big aoe zone pins are really good against him because of it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

By replaying the day when you're able to make higher chains.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not convinced TWEWY will become like a big series with multiple games, so I have a hard time thinking it will go full KH.

KH is pretty great though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Coco should have been in the game more imo. She's funny.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Enemy types and attacks and all that seem pretty similar to the original honestly and loading times be bad because they're optimised for PS4 and not the Nintendo Switch.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Once you've got that skill when you look at a pin it will show if it can evolve further and who it needs to be on to mutate. It will show this for maxed out pins as well even though you won't be able to mutate them but it will at least tell you what pins you need to grab copies of.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What do you mean by failed evolution? Even when you can't mutate a pin because it's already max level and was on the wrong character it's entry on the collection screen should still show which character that pin would need to be in for a mutation. You'll just need to grab an extra copy to use because you can't evolve a maxxed out one.

I've got the game in front of me and I can see it telling me who my maxxed out Jupiter Of the Monkey II needs to be on to evolve further. This is info the game shows once you get that social skill.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 11, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unless that's only true for half of them I don't think that's the case. I've only got half the pins but every mutation I do have is the next numbered pin from what it evolved from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

It’s like half of them, pins are organized partly by elemental affinity so some of the mutations like the sound bomb jump around in the collection because they change affinity on mutation. Also you might wanna change your previous post, the game does a pretty solid job of not making it obvious who’s gonna be playable even if it’s not hard to guess a lot of people are gonna come back.

Yeah you're right. That totally slipped my mind.