Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
You still have the third to look forward to. Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I’m nearly done but I have to know: do we finally learn what impurity is, that is, why Composers keep wanting to erase their own districts, presumably losing that status in the process?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Bummer. That leaves a hole in the story. After the Ayano boss fight I’m wondering if it’s worth finishing. What a horrible design.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Oxxidation posted:

not really? the angels evaluate life and humanity by totally different standards than other people, evidenced by the Secret Reports from both games - Hanekoma is one of the nicest angels and even his outlook on people's lives is detached at best, judging them mainly by the "vibes" and "imagination" of their souls. whatever the angels find so distasteful about civilization, they're too aloof to bother explaining it to anyone in the lower planes, let alone in a way we'd find comprehensible

I mean, that's ok, but the point is that it's something that always applies. There'd need to be a reason why it happened the one time it happened in the game. Otherwise you've got immortal beings just trying and trying again to destroy the world and being certain to eventually succeed. Basically the original looped game from NEO but for the whole world.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Does anyone have a list of the stats for the foods unlocked via Bon Appetit?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
As Week 3 goes on and the game tries to get more challenging the jankiness is starting to get overwhelming.

I don't know if I've done something wrong but every enemy seems to be an HP sack by this point.

The Chameleon and Shark noise designs are made to be annoying and tedious to fight. Who puts enemies with the ability to essentially leave the battlefield into timed combats? The Chameleon, especially, makes the game worse by existing.

The game persistently displays "ready" above pins that are not ready.

Charging characters lose their charge if someone else dodges.

The camera and target selector are more dangerous than the Noise. The majority of hits come from off-camera Noise.

I nearly chucked it in at a mandatory 5-reduction dive with a Chameleon at stage 2 and an HP sack at stage 4. Why did anyone think it would be fun to replay that? Use of bosses in that way is a bit outdated.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It'd still be so much better if they'd put the energy bars above the pins and the ready indicators below, so that the more important information is nearer your eye.

On the other hand, apparently Switch hackers have found that TWEWY is basically written in straightforward Unity 2019 and has most of the game data in raw JSON. If that's the case, then when the PC version comes out it could potentially be highly moddable.

Also, Susukichi for being the only person who realised that when you're fighting other players rather than Noise, you can just punch them. Like, if a certain person decides to pull their laptop out during a fight, you can distract them by hitting them with combinations of psychs, or you could just snatch the laptop, smash it over your knee, and chuck it in the river.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
And his English VA recorded the Steiner speech in character.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Is there at least some suitably WTF dialog if you put Neku and Sho together?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually they sound like they get along pretty well, Neku throws out a math pun and Sho responds with the equivalent of "drat straight", at one point

So, hey, you tried to kill me twice. But then I guess we both wanted to shoot Joshua so that cancels out, right?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Also until this game I had no idea that Othello was a Japanese invention.

Also.. Beat? That seems weird given that Sho was Beat's boss as a Reaper.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Oxxidation posted:

they've been working together for three years, with no else to talk to besides freakin coco. i guess solidarity builds up after a while

:roflolmao: "Can you get through a sentence without saying 'princess' at least once? Yes? We're good. :)"

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Also more seriously. Does AutoStyle allow for Style thresholds and their bonuses? I've seen some signs that it did and some that it didn't, and it's confusing.

It does seem obsessed with putting dresses on Beat, though..

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Oxxidation posted:

they'd have to pull a lot of plot bullshit to make that plausible, though. twewy's done a pretty thorough job of establishing how ludicrously powerful Higher Plane beings are compared to everything else, including each other. even minamimoto acknowledges that his stats literally have to read "infinity-plus" to stand a chance and is breaking time and space itself in an attempt to level-grind that high, and the only reason that he hasn't been unceremoniously zapped out of existence yet is because joshua finds his persistence endearing

Or just make the PC a new Composer and make the game be about running the Reaper's Game from the other side with Sho powerful enough to disrupt it. That way the climax can be the choice to erase our city or otherwise.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 16, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
What’s a good way to deal with the higher level Wolves that zip around randomly in energy form? I know you can counter it by knocking them down while they’re howling, but there’s often too many to do that.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Larryb posted:

The TWEWY 3 main character is blind but can seen using his/her Psych (so Daredevil basically as mentioned above)

Also it might be cool to have a female main protagonist next time.

MKN protagonist

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Dang it, is the difficulty curve for this game way above the levelling curve or have I just messed up my stats? Earlier on I could do stuff on Hard with a -1 adjustment at 2-3 chains. But I had to turn the final Susukichi down to Easy for hitting him to not be mining with a toothpick and on the final day field noise is owning me.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Regy Rusty posted:

Level literally only adjusts your HP. You should be able to do most stuff in the game at a considerable lowered level (and eventually if you go for drops you wanna do everything on like level 1). The game does have difficulty spikes though, I did struggle with the boss you mentioned as well as the next one on Hard the first time through. Rather than worrying about your level make sure your stats and pins are as good as they can be. By endgame you have a lot of firepower at your disposal and the game expects you to make good use of it.

Ah, I thought the stat maxes were 200 like I think I were in the original? And didn't realize how low I was.

Ok, back to a bit of having a bunch of teenagers beat random things up in the Scramble Crossing and then drink black coffee in Starbucks until they're totally wired..

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Based on the amount of data ripping and modding you can do with even the console versions, when the PC version comes out - unless it's heavily locked down - it'd be feasible to write custom chapters. There's also evidence of some scope for DLC - there's space for at least three more party characters in some of the data.

That said, I'm getting nearer the ending now and it's starting to feel bodged. What is it with modern storytelling and the idea of a clickbait mystery followed by a weak ending? First we have Susukichi planning to protect the Wicked Twisters, then when they don't comply, trying to erase them instead of just telling them about his plan. I like to think he must be facepalming on the game over screen if you lose to Cervus Cantus. And then, while I could just about buy mobile phones working in the UG, the idea of using mundane hacking to be able to contact the UG from the RG? What, so the UG has a deal with Verizon to have a separate channel, and the separation is just software on their servers?

And yes, we're going to deal with the surprise bit of the ending, but I'm not going to forget that you still haven't explained how using the Ruinbringers to loop the game was going to help Shiba.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It's probably party member options more than people you can have at the same time.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
And cleared the story. This probably has to be the most frustrating game that I've still enjoyed, and the final boss seems to have been engineered to be annoying. Seriously camera screw, invisible walls, sudden stunning, a fake ending and an unskippable scene in the middle!?

I did take a look at the Secret Report transcriptions, so I'm not too bothered by the spoiler there, but it still seems a bit bleak. So.. Hazuki didn't really want to save Shibuya, and he made Phoenix Cantus when he could have just destroyed the Noise? That definately seems to bring back the "there's these higher plane creatures who just want to destroy stuff and they can try again and again" problem.

I did like that everyone else's latent powers got a significant role in the ending rather than on the focus on just Rindo's. Also I think Rindo's arc fell a bit flat because although it seems to be about taking responsibility for actions and failures, in practice Rindo never fails in a way he can't reverse, not even at the end - the solution to him overusing Replay turns out to be to use Replay some more, and then everything is better. It'd probably be very hard to do that arc in a video game without making it very bleak, mind you.

So, yea, as annoying as I found things I think I ultimately liked it. I just really hope someone can post the result of dotPeeking the PC version when it comes out, because if it's not locked down, it could be a massive opportunity.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I guess that the implication is one of two things:

a) The Reaper's Game selects rear end in a top hat Angels because anyone who's gone through it and then been a Reaper for the necessary about of time is now so misanthropic they don't care;
or
b) The Reaper's Game is intended to streamline people from the RG becoming Angels and displacing or outnumbering the rear end in a top hat ones who have never actually lived.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I didn’t get the proxy thing. Originally Joshua shot Neku, gave him the ability to use any pin, and gave him the second Player Pin as protection against Kitanji. This time Joshua.. didn’t do anything, since anyone can use any pin and Kubo gave him the pin to bring him to the UG.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Oxxidation posted:

it's a valid pronunciation, i've personally never heard it pronounced EX-e-cu-tor as opposed to ex-EC-u-tor

It’s presumably supposed to be executioner anyway

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
They put too much of the story towards the end of the game.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
No. Raising Style is a pain!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It made me learn that Reversi and Othello aren’t the same game. I wonder which one he played.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is it Reversi in the original Japanese?

Yes, and both Othello and Reversi were invented in Japan, which was a surprise. Almost all of the stuff Susukichi says like “loud move”, “poison disc” etc is actual Othello terminology.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I hope someone will be able to tell us if the PC version is decompilable.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
PC version seems to be up? Does anyone have it and can confirm if it’s a standard Unity structure?

Edit: Yes, but IL2CPP. IL2CPP dumper works without detecting protection, however, and oddly the namespaces are in English.

Edit: Bepinex works if you use Bepinex 6 and add UnityVersion=2019.4.11 to the config file. Or it did work once, after the first try, it seems to detect it and restart to kick it out?

hyphz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 28, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Last Celebration posted:

There’s still a 1¥ pin as an Ultimate Mode drop though!

I presume that’s meant to be ironic, as with several of the food preferences..

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
You’re meant to want to cave Shiba’s face in.

Answers to the other questions would be spoilers.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Killingyouguy! posted:

My boys were walking around in goth dresses, clown wigs, and moccasins for so long, it ruled

I love that the pool floatie ring counts as pants

Somehow autostyle made the very strong recommendation to put Minamimoto in a Maid dress and the Comedy of Errors wig

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Another possible cause could be that the battle and field sections are almost completely separated. As in, they could be different games. It doesn’t actually do a save as you exit the field then a load as the battle starts, but it’s surprisingly close.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Literally the best way to make your group of teens stronger is to have them pick fights in the Scramble Crossing then nip into Starbucks and drink espresso until they’re totally wired.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Kin posted:

The main reason it's taking that long is because of all the loading which goes back to my earlier post about the quality of the game. For something with so few assets and complexity, just why is there so much loading for everything?

Having to decrypt everything on PC doesn’t help. But everything is more complicated than it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I just randomly saw the first game in, um, GAME (that’s the UK version of EB) and the shelf was half empty. I wondered what the deal was so I went outside to get a signal and Googled some reviews. They said “OMG BEST DS RPG EVER”. Well, then.