Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Roundboy posted:

The z screws, yes, are the reason for the height limit and the (lack) of availability and price. It's hard to get quality ones of that size

I desperately need to either build this ERCF (which is undergoing so many changes I'm prob out of date parts wise) or I need to source a filament sensor. I am reliant on my Bambu to do the same that I'm getting burned when I only have 90% of the total needed on a spool. Sucks on big prints

You can do both, get a binky and print an independent enclosure for it until it's ready to go into the ercf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

deimos posted:

get a binky

Did a toddler post this? :v:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was recently given an Elegoo Mars v1 resin printer.

I understand that I need to ventilate the space (doing it outside under cover) and wear a respirator and gloves and a face shield when necessary.

I've cleaned it up and replaced the film on the resin tray. I've got chitubox installed and I've sliced up a few models with supports...

Should I start with something small and simple before trying to go all-in on a minifig of some sort? Is there a good reference document or ebook I can read for resin printing?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Gaukler posted:

The reason here is that 2.4 kits are paradoxically cheaper than tridents.

Gaukler posted:

Gonna add on to this, not only are trident kits more expensive, but they’re also out of stock almost everywhere. What is it about the trident BOM that makes it harder to source? The Z screws?

Yeah, it's the Z screws. Belts are cheaper than leadscrews. Also... They're also a part you can fudge if you really want to. If I were self sourcing, I'd absolutely be buying couplers, more 2020, and longer leadscrews and do a taller Trident. More room for fun additions to the printer is always good. (Think in chamber spool holder, under bed fans, nevermore, lights... )But kits.. aren't gonna do that for you, usually.

So.... Since it's a $100 difference, do understand the 2.4 is a more complex build, has more kinks to printing, and more complex to tune. Absolutely a hill you can climb, it's just taller than a bed dropping design.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I was recently given an Elegoo Mars v1 resin printer.

I understand that I need to ventilate the space (doing it outside under cover) and wear a respirator and gloves and a face shield when necessary.

I've cleaned it up and replaced the film on the resin tray. I've got chitubox installed and I've sliced up a few models with supports...

Should I start with something small and simple before trying to go all-in on a minifig of some sort? Is there a good reference document or ebook I can read for resin printing?

Before you pour resin into the vat, a few considerations:

Have you verified the screen works?
Have you levelled the build plate?
Is the temperature of the space the printer lives in above 68F/20C?

If you answer 'yes' to all three of these questions, pour some resin and check out the Cones of Calibration from TableflipFoundry to get your settings dialed in.

Also, feel free to ask question in the 3D Printing for Tabletop thread, we're mostly resin over there. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959573

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 24, 2024

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Did a toddler post this? :v:

I know this is a joke, but for reference: https://github.com/mneuhaus/EnragedRabbitProject/tree/main/usermods/Binky

And for some reason I can't find the standalone filament sensor based on this :v:

I think this was it https://www.printables.com/model/389504-ercf-smart-filament-motion-sensor

deimos fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 24, 2024

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Yeah, it's the Z screws. Belts are cheaper than leadscrews. Also... They're also a part you can fudge if you really want to. If I were self sourcing, I'd absolutely be buying couplers, more 2020, and longer leadscrews and do a taller Trident. More room for fun additions to the printer is always good. (Think in chamber spool holder, under bed fans, nevermore, lights... )But kits.. aren't gonna do that for you, usually.

So.... Since it's a $100 difference, do understand the 2.4 is a more complex build, has more kinks to printing, and more complex to tune. Absolutely a hill you can climb, it's just taller than a bed dropping design.

Yeah I’m okay with the complexity, and I don’t think I’d be able to self-source a trident for $800 shipped with a bunch of upgrades (Magic Phoenix Cock and Ball Torture). However if they had their trident kit in stock I probably would strongly consider it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
hi goons
i was given an ender pro 3. i don't know anything about how a 3d printer works. when i try and print, for whatever reason, the prints start like a full two inches off the bed and it sucks. i've been having a very hard time fixing this.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ominous Jazz posted:

hi goons
i was given an ender pro 3. i don't know anything about how a 3d printer works. when i try and print, for whatever reason, the prints start like a full two inches off the bed and it sucks. i've been having a very hard time fixing this.

Check and see if the z limit switch is in a plausible looking place. And try auto homing it.

Otherwise, when it starts, go into “tune” and “baby step Z” and you can incrementally lower it (don’t go too fast or you can crash the nozzle into the bed and gouge it). Look for a good level of “squish” on the initial layer.

Add a skirt or brim in your slicer to give you more time to do this before the print itself starts.

If you take down the value you used the baby step you should be able to set a new z offset value… somewhere so it starts at the new height

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Z screws may also be binding.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
what does that mean

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
"Z" is the up and down direction for 3D printers. In other words, it's the direction you're trying to fix on your printer. I hope that helps.

Edit: and if you're wondering, X and Y are the directions on the bed. Remember drawing graphs in your high school math? That's all a 3D printer does: drawing 2D lines one layer at a time on top of each other.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 24, 2024

mewse
May 2, 2006

deimos posted:

Z screws may also be binding.

Ominous Jazz posted:

what does that mean

Stock ender 3 pro has a single z-screw on the back left of the printer, it controls the up/down motion. There should be a Z limit switch as your print head lowers that triggers to prevent your nozzle from crashing into the build surface. You should look up a youtube video on leveling your bed.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

If you didn't understand any of that, I very strongly suggest spending some (a lot of) time on YouTube looking for videos like "3d printer basics" or "Ender 3 beginner". There are a whooooooole bunch of little details you need to know in order to run a printer, otherwise you'll just be flailing around and getting frustrated because nothing's working right.

That's not to say that you can't ask questions here, but we're not going to be all that helpful to you if you don't know the terminology.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You get potentially less snarky shitposting and potentially more legitimate helpful advice if you make it clear that you have made the effort to educate yourself. :-)

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Ominous Jazz posted:

what does that mean

The "Z" direction is up/down, towards and away from the bed.

During printing, the head should be just barely above the bed, so that the extruded filament sticks to the bed where it's placed, instead of floating through the air down to the bed or getting ground into the bed's surface. If it's trying to print while multiple inches above the bed, the printer is either extremely miscalibrated, or the print head is getting stuck when it moves up and down the Z-direction screw, or there's something wrong with the switch that signals to the printer that the head has reached the bottom of the Z screw.

You can try following a guide like this one, but if you find that you can't direct the head to move to near the bed, there's something mechanically wrong with the printer that needs to be fixed.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 24, 2024

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Honestly, when getting an old Ender 3 pro (I say this as someone with two of them, which have been almost entirely rebuilt at this point) a pretty good starting place is an assembly video. Basically follow along with that and compare every aspect of the printer you got to what a new one would look like being assembled. Most likely there are... issues.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Another new thing on Makerworld: looks like an online SCAD editor https://makerworld.com/en/makerlab/parametricModelMaker

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any practical advice for printing TPU? Lots of cautions out there of it being a sponge, clogging gears, and getting stuck in bowden tubes. I'm still pretty new to printing and am having success with PLA, but I want to make a couple squishy things and I'm unclear how big a ramp in difficulty this is.

If it matters, I'm using a prusa mini.

The prusa docs suggest loosening the idler, but gives no specifics. Just trial and error it?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

xzzy posted:

Any practical advice for printing TPU? Lots of cautions out there of it being a sponge, clogging gears, and getting stuck in bowden tubes. I'm still pretty new to printing and am having success with PLA, but I want to make a couple squishy things and I'm unclear how big a ramp in difficulty this is.

If it matters, I'm using a prusa mini.

The prusa docs suggest loosening the idler, but gives no specifics. Just trial and error it?

A prusa mini using prusa slicer should have no problems if you are using a filament they have presets for.

gently caress with nothing, use the defaults, be happy.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

armorer posted:

Honestly, when getting an old Ender 3 pro (I say this as someone with two of them, which have been almost entirely rebuilt at this point) a pretty good starting place is an assembly video. .

Even though I know how mine is put together, I like to do this when I'm rebuilding mine just to get a refresher on the order in which to tighten everything down. It's worked well for me so far.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Some Pinko Commie posted:

A prusa mini using prusa slicer should have no problems if you are using a filament they have presets for.

gently caress with nothing, use the defaults, be happy.

And if you do gently caress with anything, make it slower.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is there any hope for extracting a nozzle with a broken off head? Or is this as hopeless as extracting broken bolts on a car? Luckily I had a spare head and I already installed it. I was wondering if I should just throw the old one away or not.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

kid sinister posted:

Is there any hope for extracting a nozzle with a broken off head? Or is this as hopeless as extracting broken bolts on a car? Luckily I had a spare head and I already installed it. I was wondering if I should just throw the old one away or not.

I imagine you might be able to remove it using a screw extractor kit. Probably depends on the material the nozzle is made of though.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Hello all. I recently got a Neptune 4 Pro, I’ve watched a ton of videos which helped me build it, and I’m running into what I think are problems with the bed leveling. I haven’t printed anything yet but the screen that shows the level of my bed looks waaaay more off than the walkthroughs I’ve been watching and I assume that is bad. I’ve been fiddling with knobs and feeling the printer put pressure on a piece of paper but not TOO much pressure for the better part of two hours and I’m not sure what I’m missing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What settings do I need to change in order to print glow in the dark filament? I got a wider, hardened nozzle, 0.6 vs the normal 0.4 for my printer. It's a Sovol SV07 that takes K1 nozzles.

First off, this filament refuses to stick, no matter how much glue stick I use.

Second, what Cura settings should I use for a wider nozzle?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kid sinister posted:

What settings do I need to change in order to print glow in the dark filament? I got a wider, hardened nozzle, 0.6 vs the normal 0.4 for my printer. It's a Sovol SV07 that takes K1 nozzles.

First off, this filament refuses to stick, no matter how much glue stick I use.

Second, what Cura settings should I use for a wider nozzle?

Depending on the nozzle material you will want to print significantly hotter (anywhere between 10 and 25 degrees hotter). Not sure what cura changes you will need to make but I would try printing with a known filament (preferably cheaper) and getting that to print well with the new nozzle then switching to the glow in the dark filament and calibrate that one.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hello all. I recently got a Neptune 4 Pro, I’ve watched a ton of videos which helped me build it, and I’m running into what I think are problems with the bed leveling. I haven’t printed anything yet but the screen that shows the level of my bed looks waaaay more off than the walkthroughs I’ve been watching and I assume that is bad. I’ve been fiddling with knobs and feeling the printer put pressure on a piece of paper but not TOO much pressure for the better part of two hours and I’m not sure what I’m missing.

Yeah, that left side is way off! The paper method isn't bad but using paper is less than optimal. I picked up some feeler gauges from Autozone and I'll slip a 0.178 mm gauge under my nozzle until it gets pinched.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Neat. Bambu has an ABS-GF filament now.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I can print an anti-lock brake system for my girlfriend! Finally!!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

I did not realize we needed gluten free abs

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

I could not find what percent of fibers it has. Also the fact that the HDT is 12 degrees higher than their regular ABS is weird. I suspect their ABS herbs and spices are different as well.

Ugly filaments has a really good GF filament with long fibers, it's... Really ugly.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

Depending on the nozzle material you will want to print significantly hotter (anywhere between 10 and 25 degrees hotter). Not sure what cura changes you will need to make but I would try printing with a known filament (preferably cheaper) and getting that to print well with the new nozzle then switching to the glow in the dark filament and calibrate that one.

I got my settings dialed in for printing with a wider nozzle for glow in the dark filament. It's printing pretty well. The problem now is that my prints won't stick! I got my bed at 60C, the max recommended by the filament I'm using. I've tried using glue sticks to no luck. What's left to do? Go beyond the filament's recommendations?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kid sinister posted:

I got my settings dialed in for printing with a wider nozzle for glow in the dark filament. It's printing pretty well. The problem now is that my prints won't stick! I got my bed at 60C, the max recommended by the filament I'm using. I've tried using glue sticks to no luck. What's left to do? Go beyond the filament's recommendations?

What material? What printer? Are you controlling drafts? How tall is your first layer?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Did you fiddle with your nozzle gap/Z-offset after swapping nozzles? Your new one might not be the exact same overall length as the old one, and that can totally throw things off.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

What material? What printer? Are you controlling drafts? How tall is your first layer?

Overture glow in the dark PLA. Sovol SV07. What do you mean by "controlling drafts"? My first layer is just the default set up by Cura.

Acid Reflux posted:

Did you fiddle with your nozzle gap/Z-offset after swapping nozzles? Your new one might not be the exact same overall length as the old one, and that can totally throw things off.

...motherfucker. I forgot. Thank you!

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kid sinister posted:

...motherfucker. I forgot. Thank you!

No worries, it happens... all the time.

I've forgotten what you have for a printer, but a good rule of thumb is to re-tram ("level") the bed, or at least review the nozzle gap/Z-offset (which are actually two completely different things, but have strangely become synonymous over the years) after doing *anything* involving the hot end. When you're dealing with measurements in fractions of millimeters, every little bit counts. :)