Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I haven't used it but it looks like Meshlab might be a good alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

welp, they laughed at the screw extractor, so i'm down until my new block and break arrive.

let this be a lesson about properly calibrating and checking precision tools.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Every 2-3 weeks I'll check out the Simplify3D forums for poo poo and giggles. The mods are still trying to keep up the appearance of a functioning company and ongoing development. Must still be pretty profitable to be doing that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If it's volunteer mods, never underestimate True Believers who are also given a tin pot dictatorship.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The main one is a paid employee, I dunno about any others.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just sharing some info. Apparently if you need to scan something and don't wanna spend :20bux: on scan spray, dry shampoo works pretty well.

I know we have some people with scanners in here somewhere, but this was the first time I'd heard of a substitute. Hope it helps someone!

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I wasn't part of the 3d printing community during its infancy, but does anyone know why 0.4mm became the "default" nozzle size?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Some jackass probably figured out that it was a reasonable compromise between printing speed and detail, and had some source of them that wasn't exorbitantly expensive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The early nozzles were machined directly into the heater block, so the size was a matter of whatever drill you wanted to use. Individually replaceable nozzles like we have now weren't a thing for the first several years. (I'm arbitrarily choosing the RepRap project as the beginning of the current era of 3D printing).

Here is a J-head, one of the more popular early hotends. The whole brass part is one piece. The "heating cartridge" is a big fat resistor. lol

I assume they chose 0.4mm because that's about the size of nozzle that Stratasys was using in their Dimension printers, so it had been demonstrated to work well. It's also possible that in the early days someone ran a bunch of tests with different sizes and settled on that for the early RepRaps, but early print quality was so lovely that it would have been hard to really make a good judgment.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 21, 2021

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Alright bros. I last posted here asking about which printers to buy, and y'all gave me solid recs. Of those, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Raise3D E2. Use case is printing electronics enclosures for prototyping and small production runs. And accessories to attach to enclosures, including off-the-shelf ones like mounting hooks, display mounts etc. Mostly in ABS.

I'm going to throw the Ender in a dumpster. My time and sanity aren't worth it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
If you bought an ender 3, buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Capricorn-Upgraded-Pneumatic-Bed-level/dp/B081DN6RM2/ It's $20. It solves most of the ender problems.

Sagebrush posted:

The early nozzles were machined directly into the heater block, so the size was a matter of whatever drill you wanted to use. Individually replaceable nozzles like we have now weren't a thing for the first several years. (I'm arbitrarily choosing the RepRap project as the beginning of the current era of 3D printing).

Here is a J-head, one of the more popular early hotends. The whole brass part is one piece. The "heating cartridge" is a big fat resistor. lol

I assume they chose 0.4mm because that's about the size of nozzle that Stratasys was using in their Dimension printers, so it had been demonstrated to work well. It's also possible that in the early days someone ran a bunch of tests with different sizes and settled on that for the early RepRaps, but early print quality was so lovely that it would have been hard to really make a good judgment.

.... I'm from that era...

I don't want to go back to that.

Ever.

I also spent most of last week trying to get a geeetech i3 to print properly. And being stopped becuase I can't be bothered to actually fit the anti wobble parts.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
New OP is good and informative, nice.

Last one was fine but 11 years old.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

If anyone in Canada is desperate to find resin. Eryone resin has been pretty solid and available.

I can't comment to its brittleness because I've been mixing in 10% flex resin for minis, but it's incredibly cheap through Alibaba and seems pretty on par with any other anycubic, elegoo etc low odor resin

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I'm more desperate to find B-PET or rPETG so I can print out of recycled plastic, but then again I'm an FDM guy

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'm more desperate to find B-PET or rPETG so I can print out of recycled plastic, but then again I'm an FDM guy

If you're willing to pay extra for it: https://www.filamentive.com/product/recycled-petg-rpetg-1kg-transparent/

EDIT: Pretty much everything there is recycled filament.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

If anyone in Canada is desperate to find resin. Eryone resin has been pretty solid and available.

I can't comment to its brittleness because I've been mixing in 10% flex resin for minis, but it's incredibly cheap through Alibaba and seems pretty on par with any other anycubic, elegoo etc low odor resin

I had to switch to Eryone last month because Siraya's Canadian stock ran out. I bought all the Eryone grey available, and now I'm printing in a vivid peach colour because that's all they had left.

Way more brittle than the abs stuff from Siraya of course, but this is some great resin. The details are super crisp and the cost is 50% of what I was paying Siraya. I might not go back to Siraya.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

w00tmonger posted:

That's a great tip, thanks for sharing!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

I had to switch to Eryone last month because Siraya's Canadian stock ran out. I bought all the Eryone grey available, and now I'm printing in a vivid peach colour because that's all they had left.

Way more brittle than the abs stuff from Siraya of course, but this is some great resin. The details are super crisp and the cost is 50% of what I was paying Siraya. I might not go back to Siraya.

Out of curiosity, you still rocking vroom? I've had some support failures with my black, and seeing some layerlines artifacts occasionally. (Mixing 10% tenacious)

My costs are waaaay down vs sirayatech so I'll definitely be using this vs sirayatech. Still likely going to Vulcan when it comes out in September though

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 21, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

If you're willing to pay extra for it: https://www.filamentive.com/product/recycled-petg-rpetg-1kg-transparent/

EDIT: Pretty much everything there is recycled filament.

That's pretty cool! Expensive, but I'll bookmark that!

Currently my latest PETG print is giving me fits even though the last three prints before it (identical parts, mind you) were fine. So it'll be a while before I go back to that bastard material

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

InternetJunky posted:

Siraya's stuff is/was in customs warehouse purgatory, they post updates with dates on their FB group- there should be lots of inventory coming through 'soon'.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Ordered a Raise3d E2.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 21, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

Out of curiosity, you still rocking vroom? I've had some support failures with my black, and seeing some layerlines artifacts occasionally. (Mixing 10% tenacious)

My costs are waaaay down vs sirayatech so I'll definitely be using this vs sirayatech. Still likely going to Vulcan when it comes out in September though
Weird, is it possible it's a heat issue for you with the crazy temps we've been having? For me my machines are at a constant temp and I haven't had any problems at all (layer lines or support failures).

I'm also looking forward to Vulcan. I'm tempted to just place an order for 50L now rather than go through the whole trial phase.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

While reading this new thread my hand must have slipped and it seemed like page 2 was talking about electrical wiring and I was gettin mad about the derail until I realized it was now reading the House Wiring thread.

Thanks for listening. Please like and subscribe.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

You repeatedly broke the Second Law, and now you're breaking the Third. Go to the place you summoned your spaghetti monsters from.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

What a waste. So many good parts to salvage from that, especially the power supply.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Stand near it and press △ to harvest the metal shards and components.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Definitely dig that power supply out and uh...maybe the motors? That's about it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Maybe the binder clips too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some of the wires contain valuable copper!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trip report: got my order in of the 10 rolls of pla+ I mentioned a few days ago. Came shipped ups. Haven't had a chance to unbox yet, but they showed up really quick. I'm happy so far.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
My brother sent me an Anycubit Photon Mono so I can print some miniatures and things. It's sitting here idle until the resin arrives but I am very excited to start printing.
Is there anything I should pick up to make my life easier? Ordered a UV lamp and turn table, some plant based black resin, and a bunch of 99% isopropyl for washing.
Is a flexible bed worth it, or can I get by with the putty knife?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can get by with the regular bed just fine.

Get some long tweezers or narrow tongs, a sealable wide-mouthed container for the alcohol, some kind of plastic tray to set everything in, and a big pack of disposable gloves.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Diabeesting posted:

My brother sent me an Anycubit Photon Mono so I can print some miniatures and things. It's sitting here idle until the resin arrives but I am very excited to start printing.
Is there anything I should pick up to make my life easier? Ordered a UV lamp and turn table, some plant based black resin, and a bunch of 99% isopropyl for washing.
Is a flexible bed worth it, or can I get by with the putty knife?

Normal beds fine, but beingn able to print bases flat on the bed is a godsend. In the long run you'll save yourself a ton of effort just going that way

Buy a fuckton of nitrile gloves and papertowel. Also a wash and cure is technically a bit frivalous but will really streamline the cleaning process for you down the road

Myminifactory is a good spot for individual models, but if you find someone you like I highly recommend finding their Patreon and just spending the $10 to at least grab a month+welcome box from them and cancelling

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Epic miniatures patreon is pretty great. I don't even play RPGs but I'm still a patreon cause the models look badass and it's like 5 bucks a month. They hooked me with the grinning beholder.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dominoes posted:

You repeatedly broke the Second Law, and now you're breaking the Third. Go to the place you summoned your spaghetti monsters from.

You should get some friends together and re-enact that scene from Office Space.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'd like to talk about nitrile gloves for resin/print handling since as an alternative I'm actually using super cheopo sandwich gloves similar to what the workers at Subway would use (https://www.amazon.ca/Ronco-Deli-Medium-Disposable-Gloves/dp/B00QEGN8TE/ref=sr_1_10). Most of the time the glove is on for about 10 seconds total (take off flex plate, scrape off prints, put plate back on) and using a nitrile glove for that becomes kind of expensive if you print a lot. They are also great when taking the vats off the machine, since I can take the vat off with one set of gloves and then quickly put on clean gloves and not risk accidentally transferring uncured resin from the gloves underneath the vat.

That being said, for all I know maybe resin can leech through the plastic instantly and I've been slowly poisoning myself for months.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I'd like to talk about nitrile gloves for resin/print handling since as an alternative I'm actually using super cheopo sandwich gloves similar to what the workers at Subway would use (https://www.amazon.ca/Ronco-Deli-Medium-Disposable-Gloves/dp/B00QEGN8TE/ref=sr_1_10). Most of the time the glove is on for about 10 seconds total (take off flex plate, scrape off prints, put plate back on) and using a nitrile glove for that becomes kind of expensive if you print a lot. They are also great when taking the vats off the machine, since I can take the vat off with one set of gloves and then quickly put on clean gloves and not risk accidentally transferring uncured resin from the gloves underneath the vat.

That being said, for all I know maybe resin can leech through the plastic instantly and I've been slowly poisoning myself for months.

I think there is a pretty high risk of that with gloves so thin. I did the opposite, I have heavy duty nitrile cleaning gloves that I have been using for months, I switch over to normal gloves for detail work but otherwise this has saved me hundreds of gloves/waste.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Disposable chopsticks. Seriously. You can't do everything with them (especially removing build plates and such) but when you need to fish things out of vats or cleaning solution, they save you a lot of gloves.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I am a bold and risky man and have been doing most of my resin work with only one glove on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Going through a ChemE degree filled me with enough stories about the consequences of treating "mostly safe" materials without due respect that I won't go near my resin printer without gloves, long sleeves, and a mask.