Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That’s why I’m asking. Get one and that’s it. I’ll gladly pay a bit extra for peace of mind. I had a Nozzle X a long while ago, and while it worked OK, the non-stick stuff didn’t not stick for that long. (Although that E3DLC coating on the Revos looks different from the Tungsten Sulfide on Nozzle X). Might have been material specific tho, I put a lot of eSun ABS+ through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

New and exciting error!

How its supposed to look:

How it turned out:

Everything was going fine until it started printing the final lip and internal supports, then it looked like every layer was slightly offset on the X axis. By the time I noticed it and went to stop it, the printer was as far left on the X axis as it could get, wiggling around and extruding plastic into the air.

I had about 5 prints in a row work just fine before this one the same day. Was this an error with the slicer code? Or is there something wrong with the X axis motor, causing it to struggle going right?

I blasted it with compressed air, but havent done a test print since

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Fashionable Jorts posted:

New and exciting error!

How its supposed to look:

How it turned out:

Everything was going fine until it started printing the final lip and internal supports, then it looked like every layer was slightly offset on the X axis. By the time I noticed it and went to stop it, the printer was as far left on the X axis as it could get, wiggling around and extruding plastic into the air.

I had about 5 prints in a row work just fine before this one the same day. Was this an error with the slicer code? Or is there something wrong with the X axis motor, causing it to struggle going right?

I blasted it with compressed air, but havent done a test print since

If I had to bet, your x axis belt is slipping more some reason. Check the tension on that bad boy

Could also be skipping due to curling or over extrusion. If the previous layer is knocking your nozzle then that could be adding some extra forces that are causing the layers to shift to the right.

I'd maybe keep an eye on it running for clues, but maybe clean your bed and calibrate extrusion multiplier/tempratures for that filament if you haven't already

mewse
May 2, 2006

Or is there something wrong with the X axis motor, causing it to struggle going right?

We call this a "layer shift" - the printer is too dumb to realize the print head is offset however many millimeters from where it's supposed to be and just keeps printing. It does look there were multiple events preventing motion to the right.

It's usually not the motor itself. The immediate things to check are belt tension, and I had a factory-assembled prusa start doing layer shifts on the Y axis because the grub screws on the motor pulley had loosened - I fixed it with blue loctite.

If the printer is currently unable to move the print head to the right then you have a pretty good opportunity to figure out what the problem is (try different things until the print head is once again able to move to the right).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

mewse posted:

It's usually not the motor itself. The immediate things to check are belt tension

Yup. Check the knob for the belt and it was hella loose. Doing a test print now to see if that was the whole issue. If it is, I'll find a way to secure it, since I'm assuming it's slowly loosening from the vibration of the machine (when it lifts/retracts on the z axis it likes to vibrate, known issue with this printer)

Edit: test print went fine. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember to check that before a print.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 25, 2024

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I've never used them, but there are little 3d printed pieces that sit on the belt and tell you, by angle, how much tension is in it. Might be useful.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That sounds interesting. Have a link or the like?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

(Again, haven't tested any of these myself)

You have your choice between ultra-simple: https://www.printables.com/model/135075-belt-tension-gauge

And more involved: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2230598

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Yup. Check the knob for the belt and it was hella loose. Doing a test print now to see if that was the whole issue. If it is, I'll find a way to secure it, since I'm assuming it's slowly loosening from the vibration of the machine (when it lifts/retracts on the z axis it likes to vibrate, known issue with this printer)

Edit: test print went fine. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember to check that before a print.

Awesome! Unless your printer has some weird problem that would loosen the belt, it's probably not something you'll have to think about too often.

Luckily the belts on these things are pretty stiff, so baring bumping your printer in a bad way it should be pretty static if the associated bolts are tight

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I've come for help!

I'm trying to diagnose some new issues. I've been printing glass fiber nylon for multiple years with no issues on my upgraded Creality CR-10s. However now I'm getting crazy oozing and heat creep that only results in a clog once the print is finished.

The first time it happened I near fully disassembled and reassembled the hotend to make sure all the connections were tight but the problems persisted.

I've always printed the polymaker glass fiber nylon at 280c which is the bottom of their suggested range but I tried reducing it to 270 to see if maybe my thermistor was off and giving me a low reading. That made zero difference.

Heres all the upgrades the machine has:

Micro Swiss All-Metal-hotend w/ direct drive kit and an A2 hardened steel nozzle

a satsana fan shroud with 4020 blower for parts cooling plus a 4010 noctua heatsink fan.

In my general troubleshooting inexperience my thoughts are to maybe get a more powerful heatsink fan, upgrade the heatbreak, or both but I feel like that would only solve the heat creep issue.

Also to ward off an obvious question, I am tighting all connections again once the hotend is up to temperature.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

King Kambrook posted:

Oh wise 3d printing goons, I come to you to help troubleshoot an issue that's been driving me bonkers for days.

Printer: Qidi X Max 3

Found the problem :v:

But really, most of that comes down to how well assembled a given unit was from factory. There are several reviews out there where a teardown of the extruder revealed poor assembly resulting in heat-creep and all sorts of other assorted issues.

Quidi just isn't well known in review circles for good build quality for $500+ machines. Especially not with Prusa and Bambulabs around.

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I've come for help!

I'm trying to diagnose some new issues. I've been printing glass fiber nylon for multiple years with no issues on my upgraded Creality CR-10s. However now I'm getting crazy oozing and heat creep that only results in a clog once the print is finished.

The first time it happened I near fully disassembled and reassembled the hotend to make sure all the connections were tight but the problems persisted.

I've always printed the polymaker glass fiber nylon at 280c which is the bottom of their suggested range but I tried reducing it to 270 to see if maybe my thermistor was off and giving me a low reading. That made zero difference.

Heres all the upgrades the machine has:

Micro Swiss All-Metal-hotend w/ direct drive kit and an A2 hardened steel nozzle

a satsana fan shroud with 4020 blower for parts cooling plus a 4010 noctua heatsink fan.

In my general troubleshooting inexperience my thoughts are to maybe get a more powerful heatsink fan, upgrade the heatbreak, or both but I feel like that would only solve the heat creep issue.

Also to ward off an obvious question, I am tighting all connections again once the hotend is up to temperature.

When was the last time you re-applied thermal paste between the heater block and the barrel on the hotend, to ensure heat actually transfers along the heatbreak to the cooling fins on the heatsink?

This area:

Also I hate that hotend design.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Some Pinko Commie posted:

When was the last time you re-applied thermal paste between the heater block and the barrel on the hotend, to ensure heat actually transfers along the heatbreak to the cooling fins on the heatsink?

This area:

Also I hate that hotend design.

Brilliant question! Never. That would 100% explain the heat creep. Googling around it looks like boron nitride paste is the go-to. Any chance the heat creep is related to my oozing?

I'm open to upgrading the hotend I just don't know what would be compatible with the microswiss direct drive.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hello all. The section in the OP is a few years out of date, so I wanted to ask if someone could help me in choosing a PLA 3D printer. I have about $350 or so in my budget for one. I've never had a 3d printer before. Well, technically, I was given a resin one as a gift, but I never took it out of the box and will probably end up selling it.

As far as what I'm looking for, I guess I'd prefer if it was enclosed rather than not but that's not a hard and fast thing. Really, this is the main reason I want one:
https://www.toymakr3d.com/product/89-ironshell

I could print that out on, almost any modern printer. So.. could you.

For $350? Sovol SV06 or SV07. Both will have auto bed leveling, which makes things a bit easier.

So... we need to talk a bit about what 3d printing is. 3d printers are CNC machines. They do what they're told, and are generally only as good as the person operating them. For a project like that, you're going to need to make sure your parts are exactly to size, so... That means getting your extrusion multipler just right, getting your first layer squish right. And making sure the X, Y, and Z all are accurate.

You, CAN, do this. You will need to take care. And eventually you'll get it. Expect to blow a few days getting things ~right~. And google searches will almost universally lead you wrong. You want the Ellis tuning guide, and maybe the califlower.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hmm so I opted for the full refund + $80 voucher for my recalled a1, it was my only printer. Am I crazy for thinking about downsizing to the mini? $250 out the door is a pretty sick price and realistically I don't print constantly, just when inspiration or a need strikes.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 26, 2024

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Google Butt posted:

Hmm so I opted for the full refund + $80 voucher for my recalled a1, it was my only printer. Am I crazy for thinking about downsizing to the mini? $250 out the door is a pretty sick price and realistically I don't print constantly, just when inspiration or a need strikes.

Buy a printer that suits your needs and then buy more printers when it no longer suits your needs. That's what the rest of us do!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Buy a printer that suits your needs and then buy more printers when it no longer suits your needs. That's what the rest of us do!

True. Plus I have an extra nozzle, like 6 rolls of filament and filament dryer just collecting dust. Ordered.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Nerobro posted:

I could print that out on, almost any modern printer. So.. could you.

For $350? Sovol SV06 or SV07. Both will have auto bed leveling, which makes things a bit easier.

So... we need to talk a bit about what 3d printing is. 3d printers are CNC machines. They do what they're told, and are generally only as good as the person operating them. For a project like that, you're going to need to make sure your parts are exactly to size, so... That means getting your extrusion multipler just right, getting your first layer squish right. And making sure the X, Y, and Z all are accurate.

You, CAN, do this. You will need to take care. And eventually you'll get it. Expect to blow a few days getting things ~right~. And google searches will almost universally lead you wrong. You want the Ellis tuning guide, and maybe the califlower.

I don’t know what some of these words mean but I am a quick learner! I read some reviews of the SV07 plus and I think I may pull the trigger.
I obviously don’t plan on printing that monstrosity first thing, but I do want to do it eventually.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don’t know what some of these words mean but I am a quick learner! I read some reviews of the SV07 plus and I think I may pull the trigger.
I obviously don’t plan on printing that monstrosity first thing, but I do want to do it eventually.

"Plus" just means larger, if the smaller bed will fit all the parts, that's the way to go. "bigger" doesnt' mean better. There's a lot of complications that show up when the beds and frames get larger.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hello all. The section in the OP is a few years out of date, so I wanted to ask if someone could help me in choosing a PLA 3D printer. I have about $350 or so in my budget for one. I've never had a 3d printer before. Well, technically, I was given a resin one as a gift, but I never took it out of the box and will probably end up selling it.

As far as what I'm looking for, I guess I'd prefer if it was enclosed rather than not but that's not a hard and fast thing. Really, this is the main reason I want one:
https://www.toymakr3d.com/product/89-ironshell

I'm not sure if anything I can afford can make something like that, but that's where you guys come in I suppose! Help me out or talk me off the ledge, either or.

I've printed a few of the models from this guy, his designs are excellent and chopped up into small enough pieces that you could def print one on like the Bambulab A1 mini which would fall into your price range.

These are both printed in PLA.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd like to make a catch-all tray with a layer of TPU in it to make the surface less slippery. Any tips for modifying this design to do that? I think ideally I'd print the raised portions and a couple solid layers underneath in TPU, with the rest PETG, but the shape seems too complex for me to isolate those parts in Orca Slicer.

Unless there's a way to do mixed TPU/PETG between the AMS and external spool on the X1C? That seems like asking for trouble.

https://www.printables.com/model/378100-designer-catch-all-tray-two-versions

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'd like to make a catch-all tray with a layer of TPU in it to make the surface less slippery. Any tips for modifying this design to do that? I think ideally I'd print the raised portions and a couple solid layers underneath in TPU, with the rest PETG, but the shape seems too complex for me to isolate those parts in Orca Slicer.

Unless there's a way to do mixed TPU/PETG between the AMS and external spool on the X1C? That seems like asking for trouble.

https://www.printables.com/model/378100-designer-catch-all-tray-two-versions

Print it all in TPU?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't wanna

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

You can't use the external spool holder and the AMS at the same time, for any reason. The machine won't let you.

(e) - I'd think about printing the whole thing in PETG and shooting the top with a coat of Plasti-Dip, it'd probably be a lot less hassle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok yeah plasti-dip sounds like a great idea, actually.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

you also can't run tpu through the ams

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Weird Anycubic day today..

First I haven't touched 3D printing in like two years, so I'm super out of practice. I figured i'd update to the latest Cithubox before I sliced, ran through the setup wizard and selected the (OG) Anycubic Photon, but the slices it spit out were just visually garbage. They had a good preview image, but even running them through UVTools showed 300 layers of nothing but .. static? Weird. Luckily I still had my old Cithubox too and that produced something usable.

Fired up my Photon, levelled it, poured in my two year old resin and crossed my fingers. 30 minutes later I had... a solid block of plastic. Investigated by removing the build plate and doing a dummy print just to see, and I saw that half the screen wasn't displaying, and the other half was inverted.

Had no idea what the gently caress so I just pulled the whole thing apart and re-seated the cables and the UV test now showed a proper masked rectangle.

Not sure how a printer that's literally been sitting for two years untouched suddenly needs cable re-seating but that's that. Still trying to figure out what the gently caress I did wrong with the new Cithubox though :(

e: On the bright side, my ancient Elegoo resin printed like a dream.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 26, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well, maybe 13 is an unlucky number after all.

For some reason, when I added plate 13 to this project in OrcaSlicer, it lost sync with the AMS, and the filament slot numbers were all off. So when I sync'd it, it kept the numbers and hosed all the colors. So I just spent the last 15 minutes reassigning the right colors to the right parts.

I'm gonna blame loading up the Dune ornithopter model and not checking my settings because that will make me feel better than me loving it up myself.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

mattfl posted:

I've printed a few of the models from this guy, his designs are excellent and chopped up into small enough pieces that you could def print one on like the Bambulab A1 mini which would fall into your price range.

These are both printed in PLA.

I've been somewhat surprised by the lack of GunPla styled stuff out there, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there was a very healthy community of the stuff and I just missed it. I did see a paid model that looked pretty nice but I'd like to get a better printer before doing anything like that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

The Eyes Have It posted:

Goddamn is prusament PC-CF such a nice filament :discourse:

Hell yeah CF filaments look so good. This is some ancient Colorfabb XT CF-20 used for a set of custom laser tube mounts. Such a flattering finish.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Warbird posted:

I've been somewhat surprised by the lack of GunPla styled stuff out there, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there was a very healthy community of the stuff and I just missed it. I did see a paid model that looked pretty nice but I'd like to get a better printer before doing anything like that.

That 3mm resolution gets real freaky for FDM. I print the tail pack for Kyrios pretty successfully, but not a whole lot else. There's a 3d printable polterimous, but that's a paid STL. I also print lots of stands, which works out pretty well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah I should do a stand or two.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turned out pretty well with a couple coats of plasti dip on the inside, and I got to use my sparkly PETG

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Warbird posted:

Yeah I should do a stand or two.

The wall stands that mecha gikotsu did on his resin printer.. while are awful in resin, are great in FDM. I have 20+ on the walls in my computer room.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Turned out pretty well with a couple coats of plasti dip on the inside, and I got to use my sparkly PETG

wow, that looks great!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Hell yeah CF filaments look so good.

I am this close to going pure CF filaments for my cosplay print work because it just looks better without processing, but the AMS makes it a bit difficult to engage with unless I buy bambu CF

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm getting back into printing again, waiting on a Bambu P1S to be delivered tomorrow, definitely an upgrade from my CR10S. One thing I'm looking to print is a quick disconnect for a sink faucet so I can connect hoses, etc. to my brewing setup. Since it'll be both hot and cold water running through it, for cooling or cleaning purposes so I'm not worried about food safety, would PLA be ok to print or so I look at something with a higher heat tolerance since hot water will be going through it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I REALLY need to re-consider buying an FDM again in the future :stare:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

calandryll posted:

I'm getting back into printing again, waiting on a Bambu P1S to be delivered tomorrow, definitely an upgrade from my CR10S. One thing I'm looking to print is a quick disconnect for a sink faucet so I can connect hoses, etc. to my brewing setup. Since it'll be both hot and cold water running through it, for cooling or cleaning purposes so I'm not worried about food safety, would PLA be ok to print or so I look at something with a higher heat tolerance since hot water will be going through it?

id' probably do PETG PLA might work for awhile but if you're at full hot you might see some issues.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

calandryll posted:

PETT if you can find it would be best.

Used to be Taulman T-Glase was the brand for it but there may be others out there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
ABS is less of a pain in the rear end to print than PET.