Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Surprising nobody, the wifi on the Saturn 3 Ultra doesn't work for poo poo. Half the time Voxeldance doesn't even see it, half the time it swears it sent the file and the file just isn't on the machine.

Oh well, I like lychee slicer better anyway, but I don't love walking to and from the garage with a usb all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Deviant posted:

Surprising nobody, the wifi on the Saturn 3 Ultra doesn't work for poo poo. Half the time Voxeldance doesn't even see it, half the time it swears it sent the file and the file just isn't on the machine.

Oh well, I like lychee slicer better anyway, but I don't love walking to and from the garage with a usb all the time.

I had a similar but even more low-tech issue with the touchscreen upgrade I made to my Ender 3s. The BTT TFT35-E3 seems to have occasional issues printing from the USB and SD card slots on the touchscreen itself. There's some speculation that it might be noise sensitive, but no real answers. Basically it will occasionally just stop the print head briefly (or completely stall) when printing from those two sources. Works totally fine if you're still printing from the microSD slot on the main board though, so I've gone back to doing that.

The touchscreen is still a super quality of life upgrade vs the original screen, but it's a shame that I can't just use a thumb drive and have to go back to the microSD card. Also when printing from the touchcreen you get a time remaining estimate, but you don't get that when printing from the main board.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Of course bambu cut the price of the mini by $50 the day after I order. Contacted customer service and they gave me a $50 voucher so that's good though, I wanted to get the small nozzle anyway.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-Gl-p0HnY

I certainly don't need an 800x800x1000! build volume printer, nor do I even have anywhere to put it, but holy cow that thing is pretty awesome. Rumored price once it hits non kickstarted in the 2-2500 range is not as bad as I thought it'd be either.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

mattfl posted:

I certainly don't need an 800x800x1000! build volume printer, nor do I even have anywhere to put it, but holy cow that thing is pretty awesome. Rumored price once it hits non kickstarted in the 2-2500 range is not as bad as I thought it'd be either.

Really have to question the use case for any printers this big whenever they come up.

Even my Kobra Max is obnoxiously big for what I want to be printing most of the time.

E: I mean, case and point, that green print he's working on most of the video would fit on a max printer

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 27, 2024

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I think that's the one that can add and sync up 3 additional printheads to print 4 'identical' models at the same time, isn't it? So atleast it has some additional flexibility for when you don't need the entire space.
So it can be 80x80x100, or 20x80x100 times 4. (Or 40x80x100 times 2, I suppose.) Though I have no idea how long it takes to add/remove printheads to swap between the modes.

e: yeah.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

deimos posted:

ABS is less of a pain in the rear end to print than PET.

You are literally insane if you believe this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nerobro posted:

The wall stands that mecha gikotsu did on his resin printer.. while are awful in resin, are great in FDM. I have 20+ on the walls in my computer room.

These? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3224734

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Some Pinko Commie posted:

You are literally insane if you believe this.

Why? It's pretty much trouble free on my Bambu and I get nicer quality too.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Re: the monster printer

A family member saw my old Ender a while ago when visiting and got inspired to get one of their own. The whole thing spiraled into a rat rig that has an enclosed print volume of 700x700x2000 (or something close to it), is bolted to the basement wall for rigidity, and prints polycarbonate with the ease of PLA.

Ghod, I wish I had time to do a deep dive like that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Really have to question the use case for any printers this big whenever they come up.

Even my Kobra Max is obnoxiously big for what I want to be printing most of the time.

E: I mean, case and point, that green print he's working on most of the video would fit on a max printer

I have 2 projects I'm currently working on that instead of doing 4 or 5 pieces to get the final piece I could've done them all in one go on that thing. Of course it would've taken days at the speed that thing prints, but for cosplayers and droid builders that thing is gonna be a dream!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

gbut posted:

A family member saw my old Ender a while ago when visiting and got inspired to get one of their own. The whole thing spiraled into a rat rig that has an enclosed print volume of 700x700x2000 (or something close to it), is bolted to the basement wall for rigidity, and prints polycarbonate with the ease of PLA.

Finally, a printer that can make an appropriate-sized fleshlight mold.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mattfl posted:

I have 2 projects I'm currently working on that instead of doing 4 or 5 pieces to get the final piece I could've done them all in one go on that thing. Of course it would've taken days at the speed that thing prints, but for cosplayers and droid builders that thing is gonna be a dream!

cosplayers will still build their props out of segmented pieces because they can be broken down for travel

source: me

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Thanks for the info. I'll prototype in PLA and then print in either ABS or PETG. I got the AMS with the P1S. I'm actually looking forward to printing again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Why? It's pretty much trouble free on my Bambu and I get nicer quality too.

PET won't delaminate from itself during printing if a slight thermal cooling occurs. It also doesn't warp during printing as easily as ABS.

Oh, also, no styrene fumes.

The swords I posted earlier in the thread? PET.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mattfl posted:

You'd be entering the realm of needing multiple rolls of the same color for one print.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Yes, that one. Print it in a color that matches your wall and you get magic floating gundam! Save a sprue or two so you can insert it as the peg.

kid sinister posted:

You'd be entering the realm of needing multiple rolls of the same color for one print.

Hah. I can do that on a 235mm bed. Depends on how structural I need to be. "A test print" is damned near a kilo on something like that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kid sinister posted:

I run into that now using my X1C, thankfully the AMS takes care of that.

But 3 and 5kg rolls exist.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mattfl posted:

I have somewhere to put one, but not for $2.5k at the moment.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

some kinda jackal posted:

I REALLY need to re-consider buying an FDM again in the future :stare:

This is just on 10 year old filament in a mildly upgraded Ender 3 - Klipper firmware, Linear rail X/Y upgrade and an in-house adaption to an old E3D V6 short bowden setup I had laying around from an old delta. The nozzle is a hardened steel "high flow" aliexpress special that cost me £2. Sure it took some tuning and loving about but the print profile is barely modified from a standard PETG superslicer profile. e: This was first try too, no restarts. CF is quite

Deviant posted:

I am this close to going pure CF filaments for my cosplay print work because it just looks better without processing, but the AMS makes it a bit difficult to engage with unless I buy bambu CF

This is why I still wont go closed/cloud anything. Aside from the IP and regulatory issues for my occaisional professional jobs I sometimes just need to run a weird or nonstandard filament and I'm not gonna fight my printer manufacturer about it.

On that note - Might be printing some of that radiation shielding tungsten stuff in the future if I can even get ahold of some - had some interesting discussions with another local company last week although if it does happen theres probably going to be some hilarious NDAs to sign and I wont be able to show you guys anything production. Will obviously attempt to make the worlds heaviest benchy tho.

EDIT: I'm working on some more extruder mods related to multi filament at the moment. They're not ready for public release yet but maybe some goons with filament changers / multi-heads can actually help me with some market research outside my local bubble:

How often do you print more than one filament on a print?

What is the main gripe if there is one? Time to change? Waste? Complexity? Reliability?

When you do print more than one, how often is it more than two?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 28, 2024

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
AMS on a P1S, I've been printing little animals for coworkers to have on their desks just for fun. 2-4 colors of PLA. Waste and time are the biggest issues for me. But I'm printing 4-8 copies of each print, waste isn't as inefficient as it could be.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

This is why I still wont go closed/cloud anything. Aside from the IP and regulatory issues for my occaisional professional jobs I sometimes just need to run a weird or nonstandard filament and I'm not gonna fight my printer manufacturer about it.

What the hell are you on about? CF is *physically incompatible* with the AMS because it's abrasive, not because big printer wants me to be slightly inconvienenced and have to run it on an external spool. Bambu's CF-PLA works because it has a lower ratio of fiber to plastic and doesn't scrape as hard.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I dunno what the hell are you on about? sounds like I can't run niche filaments because AMS troubles which is what I said?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

I dunno what the hell are you on about? sounds like I can't run niche filaments because AMS troubles which is what I said?

you basically asserted that the laws of physics are a vendor scam. highly abrasive and flexible filaments don't like being forced through several feet of PTFE, but that's not really a bambu scam

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The AMS isn't required for printing on Bambu printers you know that right? Single roll printing is the default and you can run any of your special niche filaments just fine through any of the Bambu printers.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mattfl posted:

The AMS isn't required for printing on Bambu printers you know that right? Single roll printing is the default and you can run any of your special niche filaments just fine through any of the Bambu printers.

matt is right here, I even have a Y splitter installed on the back to make doing that easier.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's really not my primary issue with bambu lol but sure, you got me, I could disconnect the AMS and use my fancy printer to do what the ender 3 can already.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I noticed the other day that Bambu has started selling an official Bambu 4-in-1 PTFE Adapter:

Bambu posted:

The Bambu 4-in-1 PTFE Adapter is an adapter used to connect the PTFE tube. Compared to the original PTFE tube connector, the 4-in-1 adapter can connect 4 feeder modules to the printer at the same time. (up to 7 different filaments: 1 AMS and other 3 filaments)

It can help users to connect the printer to AMS along with other filaments which are not compatible with AMS such as TPU 95A, Bambu PET-CF and other brands' carbon-fiber/glass-fiber contained filaments.

Basically similar to the Y-splitter thing that's been discussed in here before to make having both AMS and using TPU more convenient, just fancier.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I got the tinkering itch again, and I think I'm gonna Frankenstein my ender 3 pro even further than I already have by increasing the build area to 500x500x500. I figure this I'll be slightly cheaper than buying a kobra max 2 or whatever other big rear end printer, and it'll also be fun. Considered getting an ender extender kit, but for that price I can definitely just buy all the parts separately myself twice over.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Snackmar posted:

I noticed the other day that Bambu has started selling an official Bambu 4-in-1 PTFE Adapter:

Basically similar to the Y-splitter thing that's been discussed in here before to make having both AMS and using TPU more convenient, just fancier.

They've had this for a while, I believe it's required if you want to use more than one AMS?

edit: oh that's the hub nvm

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

gbut posted:

Missed this post before, that sounds cool as hell. I have a dream of developing a room-scale printer tied to the floor and ceiling with a huge pellet fed nozzle.

I'll do it when I Have Time

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yeah it's really not my primary issue with bambu lol but sure, you got me, I could disconnect the AMS and use my fancy printer to do what the ender 3 can already.

Sure buddy, keep thinking that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

Sure buddy, keep thinking that.

My use case is not necessarily your use case friend.

E: to be clear, I have done nothing but state a few of my own reasons why bambu doesn't work for my use case. Why is everyone projecting and getting so defensive?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 28, 2024

mewse
May 2, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

My use case is not necessarily your use case friend.

E: to be clear, I have done nothing but state a few of my own reasons why bambu doesn't work for my use case. Why is everyone projecting and getting so defensive?

Someone posted about the AMS having trouble with CF filaments and you started banging the drum about proprietary printers. And now you are doing the "I have been nothing but civil" sealioning

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I didn't honestly think being against proprietary printers was a controversial opinion in the 3D printer thread but I admit I've not come down here in a while.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's fine to be against proprietary printers but when you misunderstand a post and you seem to start arguing "oh-ho-ho a proprietary printer needs proprietary filament" people are going to come down on you. And instead of correcting yourself and saying your opinion was completely unrelated to the post you were responding to, you've dug a deeper hole.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ReelBigLizard posted:

There are several things a P1S does better than any ender, even ignoring AMS. Saying your Ender can do anything a P1S can do is the core of why you're getting poo poo on.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

mattfl posted:

Print a benchy and I'm gonna be out $60 :razz:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ilkhan posted:

There are several things a P1S does better than any ender, even ignoring AMS. Saying your Ender can do anything a P1S can do is the core of why you're getting poo poo on.

Ok but like I said, my use case isn't yours. The ender isn't mine btw, just one I helped someone fix up. Also the parts I posted are as good as anything my friends with bambu printers put out lately so I guess I don't agree?

I really don't have a problem with bambu, I actually suggest bambu printers to people who ask me my opinion in some cases. I just wasn't expecting to get brigaded for not having fully researched how to run a non standard filament in a one.

I had already discovered that I can't use one for enough of my client book that when I heard you couldn't run abrasives I didn't need to research why. Obviously any printer can be made to do pretty much anything with enough time and effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ok but like I said, my use case isn't yours. The ender isn't mine btw, just one I helped someone fix up. Also the parts I posted are as good as anything my friends with bambu printers put out lately so I guess I don't agree?

I really don't have a problem with bambu, I actually suggest bambu printers to people who ask me my opinion in some cases. I just wasn't expecting to get brigaded for not having fully researched how to run a non standard filament in a one.

I had already discovered that I can't use one for enough of my client book that when I heard you couldn't run abrasives I didn't need to research why. Obviously any printer can be made to do pretty much anything with enough time and effort.

Maybe stopping being big mad in the 3d printer thread will make you feel better.