Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

deimos posted:

You're better off, most likely, trying to find a company to print sls TPU for you.

Thanks. Is tpu prohibitively expensive for simple projects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MooselanderII posted:

No. It’s generally only slightly more than PLA.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MooselanderII posted:

TPU is thermoplastic, so not generally available as a resin. I don't know of many urethane SLA resins. If you need sla resolution then SLS TPU is going to be a significantly better product than equivalent flex resins. (And, I think, cheaper at scale).

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
i recently printed some TPU for the first time on an FDM printer.

It was a real struggle to configure, but I found the secret was going realllllllllllyyyy slllllooooooowww. The stretchiness of the spool meant it was easy to get it to bunch up and make a tangle. the usual cause was one of two things: pushing too hard too fast (the plastic bunches up between the hotend and the extruder) or retracting too much (the plastic stretches out and gets an unreliable thickness in the heatbreak/nozzle).

However, I will say I was really impressed with how well it bonded structurally.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
All I needed was to level the drat build plate. Le sigh. Thanks for the suggestions folks!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I finally decided on a printer and went with an Elegoo Neptune 4 pro. I haven’t set it up yet but I wanted to ask if it’s recommended I get an enclosure and if so which one? I almost want to get one even if it isn’t strictly necessary since I have a VERY inquisitive five year old…

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I finally decided on a printer and went with an Elegoo Neptune 4 pro. I haven’t set it up yet but I wanted to ask if it’s recommended I get an enclosure and if so which one? I almost want to get one even if it isn’t strictly necessary since I have a VERY inquisitive five year old…

Enclosures for bedslingers get.. kinda awkward. I'm a big fan of using coroplast for them, but take care. You want to have a thing that's easy, and convenient to remove, or to remove the printer from. I find tents ugly, and they don't seem to be so effective.

Mind, this gets into parenting, and how I teach my kids. We have "you get to make a mistake once" (EG: you don't drink the bleach) which we don't let the kids do and "you can make this mistake and learn from it" (Yes, the metal around the stove is hot) levels of danger. In general I've not really had trouble with kids and 3d printers? We did the introduction, printed a thing for them, made sure they knew the bed got HOT. Obviously they tried touching it.. and decided it wasn't a good idea to repeat. Got all the curiosity stuff covered early on, and then let them watch a lot. Curiosity sated, it's just a thing in the house. My youngest was 4 when I started on the printing adventure. Today.. both of them know to ~ask~ to touch.

.. three weeks ago, my older kiddo downloaded and installed a slicer, got a file, sliced it, and sent it to the printer all on their own!

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 13, 2024

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

People who have the Bambu A1 Mini without the AMS Lite, what do you think of this little upgrade? Does it make sense? Is it a space-saver? Can it be trusted to hold the spool up there, or is KINGROON trying to trick me into smashing my printer so I'll have to buy one of theirs as a replacement?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I mean, sure but why not print your own? https://makerworld.com/en/models/144910#profileId-157634

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

This.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Further question: What 3d printing youtubers do people recommend? The only ones I really like are the Germans (CNCKitchen, Thomas Sanladerer) and the Australians (Makerʻs Muse, Teaching Tech)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

El Fideo posted:

Further question: What 3d printing youtubers do people recommend? The only ones I really like are the Germans (CNCKitchen, Thomas Sanladerer) and the Australians (Makerʻs Muse, Teaching Tech)

VoidStar Labs is maybe not to everyone’s taste, but I find his videos both entertaining and interesting (even during my year long hiatus from 3d printing). He does a lot of filament tests including some crazy exotic ones. I’d swear I was one of those 3d printer users who cares about the hobby only so far as it helps me with my other hobbies, but I’ll watch a 20-40 minute video on printing with meme filaments I’ll never attempt… so perhaps I’ve gazed into the abyss long enough :v:

Also, because the pain of dealing with my secondhand “idk, you figure it out” Ender 3 Pro has faded over time, I should be picking up a CR-10 v3 in need of calibration tomorrow. Also supposed to be doing a test print with my 2k resin printer this week now that I’ve got the enclosure sorted.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Ivan Miranda has some interesting 3d printed enginerding that's somewhat entertaining if a bit inaccessible.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

El Fideo posted:

gently caress TeachingTech. I've gone into why he's a steaming pile earlier in this thread. I literally just looked up a MakersMuse video seconds before opening this thread. (I am looking for 3d modeling software advice...)

The Germans are good.

Ok, Nero approved youtubers, and why: In general, if they're on this list, they are accountable. They show their mistakes. They provide the full story. They give back to the community. And or, are funny as heck.

LostInTech: Does actual testing, and explains what's going on. He's ~the best~ when it comes to things like tpu and what's really going on.

ProperPrinting: He's on the absolute bleeding edge. While the things he does are not directly applicable to what your'e doing, they are generally a thing you'll see in the next year or two. He posts his failures, and this is important. (And why TeachingTech is most bad)

Slant3d: Talks about part design, and deeply practical parts of printing.
TangledTesting: is closely related, same company, but for publishing data.

ZackFiredman: shotgun of information, and funny.

Nero3d: This is NOT me, but when he does technical stuff, it's ~dead on~. His "how to print abs" series is still the gold standard. He's a member of the Voron Team

CHEP: Good basic stuff, always. He shares his profiles. He doesn't often go deep into why. But he is consistant, and corrects himself when he's wrong.

ModBot: Good tutorials.

MandicReality: Good howtos. Entertaining stuff.

Clough42: Rarely 3dp stuff, but when he does, it's about hard subjects and exotic things. He does most of his printing with IDEX and carbon filament.

Rolohaun: Publishing several high speed, home made 3d printer designs. They're worth keeping an eye on.

WildRoseBuilds: Pretty timelapses. Some of the best.

Integza: Does really dumb stuff, with 3d printed things. Usually involving fire and compressed gasses. It's a wonder he still has eyebrows.

3dPrintingNerd: He needs a mention becuase he... is still reviewing gear. Both Nero3d, Mandic, and LostInTech have decided they're done with reviews.

deimos posted:

Ivan Miranda has some interesting 3d printed enginerding that's somewhat entertaining if a bit inaccessible.

I support this. I can't believe I forgot him in this list.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 15, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There was a time where I'd call out Uncle Jessy as a good resource, but his videos have gotten less and less useful and more and more long-form commercials for Elegoo

His back catalogue still has tons of good stuff for resin printing, though

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
OneInASixSide is a miniatures focused mostly-resin Aussie channel and he goes real deep into supporting stuff in some of his hour+ videos.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Nerobro posted:

gently caress TeachingTech. I've gone into why he's a steaming pile earlier in this thread. I literally just looked up a MakersMuse video seconds before opening this thread. (I am looking for 3d modeling software advice...)

The Germans are good.

Ok, Nero approved youtubers, and why: In general, if they're on this list, they are accountable. They show their mistakes. They provide the full story. They give back to the community. And or, are funny as heck.

LostInTech: Does actual testing, and explains what's going on. He's ~the best~ when it comes to things like tpu and what's really going on.

ProperPrinting: He's on the absolute bleeding edge. While the things he does are not directly applicable to what your'e doing, they are generally a thing you'll see in the next year or two. He posts his failures, and this is important. (And why TeachingTech is most bad)

Nero3d: This is NOT me, but when he does technical stuff, it's ~dead on~. His "how to print abs" series is still the gold standard. He's a member of the Voron Team

CHEP: Good basic stuff, always. He shares his profiles. He doesn't often go deep into why. But he is consistant, and corrects himself when he's wrong.

Clough42: Rarely 3dp stuff, but when he does, it's about hard subjects and exotic things. He does most of his printing with IDEX and carbon filament.

Rolohaun: Publishing several high speed, home made 3d printer designs. They're worth keeping an eye on.

Integza: Does really dumb stuff, with 3d printed things. Usually involving fire and compressed gasses. It's a wonder he still has eyebrows.

3dPrintingNerd: He needs a mention becuase he... is still reviewing gear. Both Nero3d, Mandic, and LostInTech have decided they're done with reviews.

I feel like TT has some good learning resources but yeah, I always watch his poo poo with a critical eye. I also just found Nero3d as well as I'm contemplating a Voron 2.4 and he's a great resource on all of that.

Only other one that I haven't seen yet is Emily the Engineer but that's mostly memey poo poo. On the other hand, a 3d printed toilet.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Gaukler posted:

I feel like TT has some good learning resources but yeah, I always watch his poo poo with a critical eye. *snip*

Only other one that I haven't seen yet is Emily the Engineer but that's mostly memey poo poo. On the other hand, a 3d printed toilet.

The worst misinformation, is information that is ~almost true~. And is most troublesome when it comes to people who can't identify what a critical eye would be over his stuff. Anything he says is covered better, by other creators.

The trouble with TT is he's close enough to right to really screw people up. A buddy of mine burned a full work week trying to sort out what was going wrong, based on TT's advice. Followed by me burning 20+ hours. I think I've sunk 40 or more hours into helping people in regard to stuff they picked up from him. Or using his work as evidence. He's a time and effort sink, and shouldn't be on anyone's watch list. My.. vehemence is based on personal cost.

IMHO If you're gonna waste your time, don't burn calories trying to sort out truth. Spend it on people doing things that know what they're doing is silly, funny, or.. weird. Like Emily the Engineer. :-)

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Nerobro posted:

The worst misinformation, is information that is ~almost true~. And is most troublesome when it comes to people who can't identify what a critical eye would be over his stuff. Anything he says is covered better, by other creators.

The trouble with TT is he's close enough to right to really screw people up. A buddy of mine burned a full work week trying to sort out what was going wrong, based on TT's advice. Followed by me burning 20+ hours. I think I've sunk 40 or more hours into helping people in regard to stuff they picked up from him. Or using his work as evidence. He's a time and effort sink, and shouldn't be on anyone's watch list. My.. vehemence is based on personal cost.

IMHO If you're gonna waste your time, don't burn calories trying to sort out truth. Spend it on people doing things that know what they're doing is silly, funny, or.. weird. Like Emily the Engineer. :-)

Agree on all of this. He's never one I'd recommend to someone new to 3D printing as they're probably going to end up chasing ghosts, but his CAD stuff is... not the worst? Maybe I just can't find good CAD youtubers.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Gaukler posted:

Agree on all of this. He's never one I'd recommend to someone new to 3D printing as they're probably going to end up chasing ghosts, but his CAD stuff is... not the worst? Maybe I just can't find good CAD youtubers.

Clough42 does good CAD stuff, he's all Fusion360 though

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

I’ll check them out, that’s what I use as well. I wish I could like freecad (and have watched a bunch of mango’s stuff) but I’m just so much faster in fusion, and features aren’t spread out over several similarly named but mutually exclusive workbenches.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Nerobro posted:

This guy is like the Beakman's World of 3d printing, and I wish I meant that as a compliment.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

El Fideo posted:

This guy is like the Beakman's World of 3d printing, and I wish I meant that as a compliment.

Wow I feel like I just stepped out of a time machine after seeing this.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I like Let's Print as well. He's got a good sense of humor and a realistic outlook that some of the poo poo he's attempting is silly. Some of his stuff has really cool results, though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nerobro posted:

(I am looking for 3d modeling software advice...)

The CAD thread is super good for all kinds of Q&A’s. We’re all happy to answer any questions you have:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I really like the F360 in 30 Days series, I am thinking I'm gonna make it my goal this quarter to finish the whole thing. I did maybe the first five lessons or so when I first started out and that got me close enough to where I needed to be for the simple brackets and adapters I was designing.

One of the really annoying things about Autodesk is how frequently they seem to change their menus and stuff around (at least in F360); you can find what were probably excellent tutorials from a few years ago that are near-useless now because everything's been moved around.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I really like the F360 in 30 Days series, I am thinking I'm gonna make it my goal this quarter to finish the whole thing. I did maybe the first five lessons or so when I first started out and that got me close enough to where I needed to be for the simple brackets and adapters I was designing.

One of the really annoying things about Autodesk is how frequently they seem to change their menus and stuff around (at least in F360); you can find what were probably excellent tutorials from a few years ago that are near-useless now because everything's been moved around.

Oh poo poo thanks for posting this! I am going to also try to finish it as a goal.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
3D Musketeers YouTube channel is pretty good, they sensationalize it a bit (you gotta for the views, I guess) but have been done some pretty interesting stuff with digging into the encrypted Bambu logs and stuff. They’re a bit adjacent to stuff that some people might not like - US federal gov’t contracting, firearms, etc - but they were chill when I was active on their discord and openly 🏳️‍⚧️ and actively discouraged people from patronizing a chuddy vendor so I can attest to them not being awful.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nerobro posted:

The Germans are good.

Remember when people thought "Barnacles Nerdgasm" was useful as a 3d printing reference?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Remember when people thought "Barnacles Nerdgasm" was useful as a 3d printing reference?

Ooof. Yeah. He just got a new printer. But Jerry.. my goodness, he's got some stuff going down. He's constantly in pain. It's fun watching him taunt Muskrat though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Well, $100 later and I'm the proud new owner of an out-of-calibration Creality CR-10 v3! The previous owner has a BL-Touch on it but otherwise I think it's pretty much all stock. Came with some extra large (2kg?) rolls of PLA, plus an unopened 1kg roll, a spare hotend, spare build plate, and various other sundries.

Wondering what the most practical way to approach troubleshooting and setting it up is? I was thinking I'd just try and start clean with updated firmware, reinstall the BL Touch, then set up the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ I have sitting around with Octoprint. Or should I try a test print before doing all of that and see if it's worth working with as-is?

It was ages ago when I set up my Ender 3 (and I had help) so very much out of the loop as far as setting retraction, e-steps, etc.

I plan to use the sealed roll of PLA for test prints to hopefully eliminate bad filament being an issue. I'll probably try and dry the others in the oven later this week to see if they're still usable, but this thing is likely going to be a dedicated ASA/ABS rig once I've got it dialed in. I did have the foresight to future proof a bit and buy an enclosure big enough to support the CR-10 (once turned right-side up) when I bought the one for my resin printer.

hark posted:

Oh poo poo thanks for posting this! I am going to also try to finish it as a goal.

Yeah, he is really good!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Wondering what the most practical way to approach troubleshooting and setting it up is?

Clean the build plate before printing anything, even if it looks clean.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Got my Bambu A1 replacement bed today, all installed and currently printing Benchy because why not?

It wasn't all that hard to swap, took about an hour, but it would have been a poo poo ton easier if I'd had a little more room to work. That printer is kind of shoehorned in on one of my benches and horizontal work space is at a bit of a premium around here in general. Highly recommend using a table with at least 2x the space that the printer normally takes up if you can.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

El Fideo posted:

People who have the Bambu A1 Mini without the AMS Lite, what do you think of this little upgrade? Does it make sense? Is it a space-saver? Can it be trusted to hold the spool up there, or is KINGROON trying to trick me into smashing my printer so I'll have to buy one of theirs as a replacement?

i print from the single spool eibos dry box that sits on my desk with my mini fwiw

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

El Fideo posted:

Why would you not 3d print 3d printer parts with your 3d printer?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I picked up a roll of TPU to make some soft jaws for a vise and there are definitely 3 things you need to do for TPU: Go slow, go hot, and double your retraction distance. At least that's what allowed me to get a nice, clean and decently squishy Benchy!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Deviant posted:

Why would you not 3d print 3d printer parts with your 3d printer?

Because my 3d printer can't print ABS and aluminum? Especially for a part that's always going to be under load.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Voron friends, has anyone entered the toolchanger rabbit hole yet?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1069206144145603

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

El Fideo posted:

Because my 3d printer can't print ABS and aluminum? Especially for a part that's always going to be under load.

I don't really feel like a spool holder is taking a ton of force and load. Use four walls I guess if you feel better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's an unsupported, bouncing 1 kg mass held at the end of a rod that can only be printed in a way that makes layer adhesion take all of the load so a PLA part is definitely not going to hold up, especially if the extruder pulls on a light snag