Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i gave them money

they sent me plastic

this concludes the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Listerine posted:

Anyone have purchasing experience with Printed Solid, the official US reseller of original Prusa equipment? I would like to think that they are painless to use since Prusa acquired them specifically for US sales, but who knows.

I've ordered a lot of filament and some Prusa parts from them. They're great.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I buy all my filament from them, I love the transition rolls they sell at a discount.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I just ordered some glow in the dark PLA. That's the kind that chews up nozzles, isn't it?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kid sinister posted:

I just ordered some glow in the dark PLA. That's the kind that chews up nozzles, isn't it?

Yup very abrasive. I find it prints better in a .6 nozzle as well.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Glow in the dark chews extruder gears and hotend cold zones too, not quite as fast as the nozzle but it's definitely something to watch for.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man it's a weird feeling being like an hour and a half from home in a city I've never been to running a booth and I've had multiple people come up and say "oh hey I've bought from you before on Etsy"

Brand recognition!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nice. I was just wondering how it all went for you.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mattfl posted:

Yup very abrasive. I find it prints better in a .6 nozzle as well.

How will that screw up prints if you don't mind me asking?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

kid sinister posted:

The additives in a lot of abrasive materials have a tendency to clog 0.2/0.4 nozzles apart from destroying non-hardened nozzles.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

queeb posted:

Man it's a weird feeling being like an hour and a half from home in a city I've never been to running a booth and I've had multiple people come up and say "oh hey I've bought from you before on Etsy"

Brand recognition!
Yeah, it is kind of nice.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

The additives in a lot of abrasive materials have a tendency to clog 0.2/0.4 nozzles apart from destroying non-hardened nozzles.

You inspired me to buy a 0.6 K1 nozzle for my Sovol, which was a booger to find buy the way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

queeb posted:

Brand recognition!

When're you running off some custom beaver paladins then?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Now find a funny/ unique shirt to wear and you are golden. I have a Fred Flintstone pattern dress shirt that people easily recognize, and remember from show to show.

Hawaiian Bowling Shirts for Men Short Sleeve Printed Regular Fit Summer Beach Casual Button Down Aloha Shirts https://a.co/d/bVFps3i

It makes it easy for people to find your table, and I am just now after a year of it starting to have people remember stuff from show to show. Helps when there are other printer businesses around too

I'm also at a Cannabis festival this weekend and people are going ape poo poo

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 21, 2024

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Roundboy posted:

Now find a funny/ unique shirt to wear and you are golden. I have a Fred Flintstone pattern dress shirt that people easily recognize, and remember from show to show.

Hawaiian Bowling Shirts for Men Short Sleeve Printed Regular Fit Summer Beach Casual Button Down Aloha Shirts https://a.co/d/bVFps3i

It makes it easy for people to find your table, and I am just now after a year of it starting to have people remember stuff from show to show. Helps when there are other printer businesses around too

I'm also at a Cannabis festival this weekend and people are going ape poo poo

just walk around asking if they have stairs in their house

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Abrasive wear on the nozzle changes the profile of it over time as it gets ground down.
More stringing is a common issue I believe, and the opening can get larger which messes with extrusion and accuracy in general.

Your gcode gets generated with a 0.4 nozzle in mind, while the nozzle opening slowly grows larger as the tip gets worn down.
I image you'd also get worse and worse bed levelling / z height if you have a printer that doesn't physically touch the nozzle to printbed.

"Lower quality" prints, in a lot of small ways.
Not sure what the effects are on other components, but worn extruder gears will start slipping more often, causing underextrusion.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I'm seriously considering building a 300x300 Voron 2.4, is this a real dumb idea? I'm already familiar with electronics work/embedded development, and I have 3 other printers already (custom enders and anycubic kobras).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gaukler posted:

I'm seriously considering building a 300x300 Voron 2.4, is this a real dumb idea? I'm already familiar with electronics work/embedded development, and I have 3 other printers already (custom enders and anycubic kobras).

It's a very fun project if that's what you are looking for. I happened to receive all my parts for my build during a week I was on vacation and I took the entire week and built it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone actually run one of those chocolate printers? I am formulating a really stupid idea and I was curious if they are still in the high novelty phase or viable for most things phase.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Roundboy posted:

Has anyone actually run one of those chocolate printers? I am formulating a really stupid idea and I was curious if they are still in the high novelty phase or viable for most things phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlylupVEwRM

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

mattfl posted:

It's a very fun project if that's what you are looking for. I happened to receive all my parts for my build during a week I was on vacation and I took the entire week and built it.

Same. It took me about a week full-time to get everything assembled. That’s was almost a year ago, and I’m still tuning it.

OP, even though you seem to be in the latter camp, the old caveat about the purpose of your hobby stands: do you want to do 3D printing or 3D printering (a portmanteau of “3D printer” and “tinkering”, ain’t I clever)?

e: the thread moves fast

gbut fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2024

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Want to start using my printer(Anet A8) I've barely touched in years again. Since I'm feeling paranoid I kinda want to upgrade its safety features, particularly a fire alarm on or nearby. Yall recommend anything in particular? Ideally something fairly cheap that can do phone alerts so I can feel comfortable going to sleep while it's running.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

gbut posted:

Same. It took me about a week full-time to get everything assembled. That’s was almost a year ago, and I’m still tuning it.

OP, even though you seem to be in the latter camp, the old caveat about the purpose of your hobby stands: do you want to do 3D printing or 3D printering (a portmanteau of “3D printer” and “tinkering”, ain’t I clever)?

e: the thread moves fast

I do enjoy the tinkering aspect about equally to actually printing things. I don’t tend to like printing things that just collect dust so I print a lot of organizational stuff and enclosures/cases for my electronics projects, though I’m starting to get more requests from others to print stuff for money.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Eschatos posted:

Want to start using my printer(Anet A8) I've barely touched in years again. Since I'm feeling paranoid I kinda want to upgrade its safety features, particularly a fire alarm on or nearby. Yall recommend anything in particular? Ideally something fairly cheap that can do phone alerts so I can feel comfortable going to sleep while it's running.

i mean they're not cheap but my whole house is nest protect units anyway. i'm more concerned that you don't appear to already have smoke detectors in your home?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Gaukler posted:

Since you're asking, build a trident. You need to have a rather special use case to "need" a 2.4.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Eschatos posted:

Might just be my bad memory, but I think that printer in particular might have had a recall level fire risk FYI

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Since you're asking, build a trident. You need to have a rather special use case to "need" a 2.4.

The reason here is that 2.4 kits are paradoxically cheaper than tridents.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Deviant posted:

i mean they're not cheap but my whole house is nest protect units anyway. i'm more concerned that you don't appear to already have smoke detectors in your home?

I do, but not in the garage where I keep it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fires never start in garages.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Scarodactyl posted:

Fires never start in garages.

There have been several vehicle recalls every decade or two where spontaneous combustion happened...

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Dogg am I acting like it's not a risk? I just want to be able to catch something right as it happens in the unlikely event that it does. And yeah I've read about anet fire risks, thus my posting. Already replaced some chip years ago to improve power draw and I got an alternate power supply and fuse/switch assembly I never got around to installing. Id start over with something newer and nicer but I can't justify that much money when I don't use the one I already got.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

https://dockingdrawer.com/products/fire-guard-outlet?variant=40449767505963
+
https://www.3dupfitters.com/products/blazecut-fire-suppression-system
+
A metal enclosure

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

also you can get a bambu mini for $250

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Throw the Anet A8 in the loving garbage. It's Robo3D R1 territory level lovely.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Eschatos posted:

Id start over with something newer and nicer but I can't justify that much money when I don't use the one I already got.

The 3D printing world has moved quickly since then, and the A6 wasn't anything special even back then. It comes down to what you actually want to do with it -- if your goal is to specifically tune up your old A6 and finish a project you started years ago then go for it, but if you're more focused on the quality of the finished product for use or display, I'd say you're going to waste a lot less tuning time and test-print material and upgrade installation effort if you put the A6 aside and look at modern printers.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The best way to make an A8 safe is to dismantle it and cast the parts to the far corners of the Earth so it can never be reassembled.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Acid Reflux posted:

The best way to make an A8 safe is to dismantle it and cast the parts to the far corners of the Earth so it can never be reassembled.

:emptyquote:

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Gaukler posted:

The reason here is that 2.4 kits are paradoxically cheaper than tridents.

Gonna add on to this, not only are trident kits more expensive, but they’re also out of stock almost everywhere. What is it about the trident BOM that makes it harder to source? The Z screws?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Gaukler posted:

I went from an ender 3 S1 to a Trident 300 to a P1S+AMS. Only have the bambu now. I have the printer to print when I want stuff printed, and the voron was... Inoperable or unreliably operable the whole time I had it. Lots of reliable vorons out there. Mine wasn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The z screws, yes, are the reason for the height limit and the (lack) of availability and price. It's hard to get quality ones of that size

I desperately need to either build this ERCF (which is undergoing so many changes I'm prob out of date parts wise) or I need to source a filament sensor. I am reliant on my Bambu to do the same that I'm getting burned when I only have 90% of the total needed on a spool. Sucks on big prints